PDA

View Full Version : acoustic versions of some of your favourite songs?

mista_mo
21-Jan-2007, 03:01 AM
i was listenign to some acoustic versions of some music i like, so i decided to see what is your fav. I'm listening to smile like you mean it by the killers right now, and it has a much sadder tone it it...it really fits the acoustic sound.

the link for the song i'm listening too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFqJNhA7lw4

capncnut
21-Jan-2007, 11:47 AM
Okay, this ones a bit cheesy but I don't care.

a1SUEDwHQZ4

Danny
22-Jan-2007, 03:50 AM
i prefer his acoustic of solitary man but this is still good, but damn does this guy make some freaky ass faces.

LZpzDXJDneA

bassman
22-Jan-2007, 04:25 AM
i prefer his acoustic of solitary man but this is still good, but damn does this guy make some freaky ass faces.

Good song, man. I've never quite liked HIM, but that was pretty good show. Out of the singles that I've heard in the US(that I've never liked), that is pretty good stuff.

And on the "freaky faces" note.....I can tell you that is a good sign. That shows that the musician is "feeling it" and is giving his emotions into what he's playing. It's a good thing. Look at the greats and you'll see that they are doing the same thing. Those are the best times to see a musician....when the music just about brings him to tears, because it just about does the same for the audience.

And on another side note....Acoustic isn't something left stranded for electric/distorted rockers wanting to perform their songs in a slightly differeny medium. There wouldn't be electrics and disorted guitars without the acoustic guitar. Acoustic is the begining and most songs start at that point.

Danny
22-Jan-2007, 09:56 AM
this alternative would make anyone a HIM fan, i reckon mz'l dorp his jaw at the sight/sound of this guy doing a rednition of solitary man

Uye7vm9o0H4

heres the real/good version.

l_vB4Eg30-4

though i think this one was written by neil daimond

DjfunkmasterG
22-Jan-2007, 11:00 AM
Since I am at work and cannot post or see You Tube Video's, I would still like to chime in here about my fave acoustic song.

I really dig Black Label Society. Mostly stuff from the Mafia albums back, Shot to Hell hasn't really stuck with me yet. Anyway, I really dig the acoustic version of Suicide Messiah.

capncnut
22-Jan-2007, 11:57 AM

I had no idea Valo could play geetar, 'twas okay. One question regarding HIM, how come almost every album is a bloody greatest hits or a volume of some sorts?

Geophyrd
22-Jan-2007, 12:19 PM
Tesla is a band I ordinarily wouldn't listen to...they're a metal hair band but some years ago they put out a live acoustical album that was really good. Recorded at the Trocadero in Philly (one of my favorite venues...where I went to shows as diverse as Frank Zappa, Skinny Puppy and Jane's Addiction) Tesla covered a bunch of songs including:

Trucking (Dead)
Signs
Gettin' Better
Mother's Little Helper (Stones)

Album was pretty good although at times, their roots as a metal band kind of come through. The CD is worth buying/downloading.

Graebel
22-Jan-2007, 01:27 PM
End of the World by Cold is my current fav acoustic song. Much better than the electric version.

_liam_
22-Jan-2007, 03:32 PM
there's only ONE cover of solitary man...and it's by Johnny Cash :p

nirvana does david bowie
HQZrPVaZabU

and leadbelly's "where did you sleep last night". not the biggest nirvana fan, but this one sends shivers up my spine
bKopbQKi5LE
think this is the last song of the last performance they did before he killed himself, pretty eerie considering there's funeral lillies & candles everywhere...

capncnut
22-Jan-2007, 04:17 PM
Here's another ditty I'm fond of.

jx4eBFzEvJ4

think this is the last song of the last performance they did before he killed himself, pretty eerie considering there's funeral lillies & candles everywhere...

'Fraid not bro, Kurt was halfway through a European tour when he OD'd in Rome. The rest of the tour was cancelled and he offed himself a couple of weeks later. Not related to the unplugged theme I know but here's a 10 minute snippet from Nirvana's last concert ever. Pretty mean stuff.

KEVxXXJX8MI

prettycorpses
24-Jan-2007, 12:26 PM
Any Queen song but mainly Love Of My Life, just Freddie and Brian on stage...magical :D

bassman
24-Jan-2007, 01:06 PM
"Tuna In The Brine" by the great Silverchair:
bRbkWgmS_ns

With the exception of Dave, this next ones not entirely acoustic. But it's just such a powerful cover of Neil Young's "Cortez the Killer", I had to post it. Plus, Warren Haynes(Govt Mule, Allman Brothers) is friggin incredible.

2qs9DAne5VY

Bunker65
24-Jan-2007, 01:31 PM
Here are a couple of my favorites:

Queensryche - I Will Remember (MTV Unplugged)

tTn9bDzFC9g

Queensryche - Silent Lucidity (MTV Unplugged)

PFWyAQNysaY

capncnut
24-Jan-2007, 02:32 PM
Silent Lucidity is a great tune and the unplugged version of Della Brown is fantastic also.

Talking Heads - Psycho Killer
FzEadbTCKDA

Neil Young - The Needle and the Damage Done
AwsJJAqMyfA&mode=related&search=

bassman
24-Jan-2007, 04:52 PM
Neil Young - The Needle and the Damage Done

Great song, man. I actually caught that show on VH1 Classic not too long ago. If you're a Young fan and haven't picked them up already, check out "Rust Never Sleeps" and "Live in Berlin". GREAT live dvds.:cool:

Foo Fighters - "Everlong" (well....it's actually just Dave Grohl on this performance)
n8jkm_2yUqE

John Bell and Michael Houser(RIP, man) of Widespread Panic - "Driving"
W3Pjr4Ab40c

capncnut
24-Jan-2007, 06:05 PM
If you're a Young fan and haven't picked them up already, check out "Rust Never Sleeps" and "Live in Berlin". GREAT live dvds.

Rust Never Sleeps is an amazing dvd. I haven't picked up Live in Berlin yet but I will look out for it.

Here's a group I'm real fond of, dEUS.

Instant Street
oGTxfKaIoRI

Sister Dew
4pDorUS72Dw

Not exactly acoustic versions but both tracks are very tender and acoustic for the most part.

Danny
25-Jan-2007, 01:26 AM
this aint an acoustic, but damn if this aint the wierdest video fo last year.

xsuW3u6_JgQ

capncnut
25-Jan-2007, 03:26 PM
Rubber Johnny Rotten. :lol:

Maitreya
26-Jan-2007, 03:12 AM
I absolutely love the original lineup for Taking Back Sunday, and during one of their tours their lead singer fell off the stage displaced his hip and to continue they devised a semi-acoustic set (it isn't conventionally acoustic, they still kept it fast and everything, but it's really cool what they did)

G4glMddiIHE

(P.S. if you have any derogatory things to say about my taste in music please feel free to go **** yourself)

capncnut
26-Jan-2007, 03:17 PM
Alice In Chains - No Excuses
4fQoxcxo9mE

Stone Temple Pilots - Crackerman
MAS3g6CsL4M

Nirvana w/ The Meatpuppets - Lake of Fire
Tc8C4OJcVz0

Pearl Jam - Rockin' in the Free World
Ee_ytrczO2c

Eyebiter
27-Jan-2007, 12:22 AM
Two I'd recommend would be 'The Last Days of May' and 'Astronomy' by Blue Oyster Cult.