PDA

View Full Version : No! No! Hollywood keep your hand off The Battle of Britain...

Neil
22-Jan-2007, 07:56 AM
The summer of 1940 was a pivotal moment in WW2. The British Airforce just about managed to fight off the German Airforce, even though heavily out-numbered. If they had failed WW2 would gave been a VERY different story...

So now after re-writing history so the americans captured the Enigma code (in U571), it now appears Hollywood is going to suggest Tom Cruise wipe out the Luftwaffe...

Groans...

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/film/news/article55566.ece

Danny
22-Jan-2007, 08:06 AM
y'know its things like this that means i dont get suprised with the whole "we saved your asses thing" that basically appears in every american war film ever and us english are "limey brits" with horse teeth, plums in our mouths and the occasional cockney thrown in for good measure.

Neil
22-Jan-2007, 08:33 AM
y'know its things like this that means i dont get suprised with the whole "we saved your asses thing" that basically appears in every american war film ever and us english are "limey brits" with horse teeth, plums in our mouths and the occasional cockney thrown in for good measure.

There's a story I heard - suspect it cannot be true - but Michael Caine removed his children from a school in the states after they would taught WW2 started in 1941.

MinionZombie
22-Jan-2007, 10:40 AM
And this chaps, is one of the reasons so many people hate America, the isolationist "we are everything" retardation of some of the population - the people who bang their drums the loudest by the way, so they garner most attention. (I personally like America, but I despise those idiots).

U571 was f*cking stupid and heck, I'd have done a damn sight more if I found out my kids were taught that WW2 started in 19-frickin-41!! :eek:

As a counter to the "we saved your asses" I'd say "you turned up stupidly late to the party" - only joining once they had been attacked...meanwhile the Brits are struggling along - David versus Goliath indeed.

Did you see in the papers we only just recently paid back WW2 debt to America? Geez...

Hollywood should be banned from manipulating history - particularly recent and very important moments in history like WW2. If a film manipulates events of a much older piece of history, the film should be preceded with a statement so morons don't assume that's the truth.

I'm sure a whole chunk of the audience for U-571 really did think the Americans captured the Enigma, even though they flat out didn't.

:mad:

*storms around all pissed off*

DjfunkmasterG
22-Jan-2007, 10:57 AM
aside from the BS U-571 story the movie in and of itself was awesome and really well done.

Neil
22-Jan-2007, 11:50 AM
Did you see in the papers we only just recently paid back WW2 debt to America? Geez...

Not as bad as it sounds... The loan was quite generous in many ways!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4757181.stm

This is quite interesting though:-
In a 1945 state department survey on the US public's attitudes to its wartime allies, Britain was one of the least trusted countries

EvilNed
22-Jan-2007, 01:09 PM
I'm surprised the upcoming 300 features Spartans, not Americans.

Graebel
22-Jan-2007, 01:18 PM
I'm surprised the upcoming 300 features Spartans, not Americans.

We already made that movie...it was Black Hawk Down.

Yet another piece of Hollywood garbage glorifying a moment when we got our asses handed to us because of arrogance and stupidity.

Huescacho
22-Jan-2007, 01:24 PM
I think that the russians and the british fight in the hardest moments of the WWII. The americans came late, you could see the number of the nation's deads. Finally they came, but I think that if they came in the 39, the war, could be shorter. Hollywood always want great histories. The public prefer americans heroes...

axlish
22-Jan-2007, 03:07 PM
Why is this a big deal? Tom Cruise was the last honorable Samurai for F's sake.

Michael Mann, that is all I needed to read.

As far as war movies being innacurate, that is hardly news.

coma
22-Jan-2007, 04:19 PM
I think that the russians and the british fight in the hardest moments of the WWII. The americans came late, you could see the number of the nation's deads. Finally they came, but I think that if they came in the 39, the war, could be shorter. Hollywood always want great histories. The public prefer americans heroes...

Part of the disparity is from
The US was not bombed or invaded by Germany ala Stalingrad
Most US citizens didnt want to be sucked into another Bullsh*t conflict like WWI. People thought it was the same thing and needed some convincing.
US soldiers recieved far more training. At the time of D Day, many soldiers had been training for years. Stalin grabbed any kid or old man, gave them a gun (if they were lucky) and sent them to die with any retreat not an option.

Of couse Americans want American heroes. Hollywood manipulates any history. Yours and ours. And tom Cruise sucks.

You mean the US didnt "save your asses"? and you dont have horse teeth and cockney accents?:lol:

funnything is the comments "US didnt fight fast enough" coupled with "they didnt save our asses" oh, the irony.:)

Plums?!? Wtf are you talking about?

Huescacho
22-Jan-2007, 06:14 PM
Certainly, Stalin gave weapons to all, and the american soldiers recieved a lot of training. This was because in U.S.A. hasn't danger. In Russia, they played their lives, and in Great Britain too. Nobody tell that U.S.A did wrong, only that they won't the war alone. I thin'k that the American Army was very good and well armed with well officers (don't speak over the Navy or the U.S.A.A.F, with massive forces).