PDA

View Full Version : Donnie Darko

ash
22-Jan-2007, 11:13 PM
I just watched this, and I must say: F*CKING INCREDIBLE. I was hooked from the "F*ck Ass" argument, and whatched untill the end. Mad World was a very nice touch, and the way I was left confused at the end, but understood it with a bit of mental reflection is a mark of true genious. The best thing about the movie is that I am a lot like the main character, though without the same emotional problems and the imaginary friend(s). The casting was spot-on, with excellent performances from every actor and actress. I was shouting for joy when I saw "A Brief History of Time", my favorite non-fiction book, laying on the table, nearly orgasmed when I saw the Evil Dead poster, then had a multiple orgasm when I heard the bench banging against the cabin wall. Pure genious, with a mesurable amount of brilliance. In fact, this takes the cake as the greatest movie I have ever seen, thereby outranking The Boondock Saints.

_liam_
23-Jan-2007, 05:01 AM
plus they go see evil dead at the cinema...

i liked this, it's grown on me. i liked the sucker punch of it being seemingly an angsty teen movie to begin with, but then about halfway through i was like "wait a second..." hard sci fi alert. good stuff.

Danny
23-Jan-2007, 05:13 AM
while i aint as into it as ash i did think it would be another "napolean dynamite" AKA: a film which is called a "cult film" by people who have seen the trailers but when you watch it you'd rather watch a less crappy film like american pie 5:rolleyes: , but in fact it actually surprised me by being a really good film, smartly written too. that scene were he talks to his science teacher about time travel but then mentions god and the teacher goes "i gotta end this conversation now or i could lose my job", little bits like that you just wouldnt see in a "hollywood" mainstream film.

Eyebiter
23-Jan-2007, 01:40 PM
Watched the original film and then the directors cut a few months later. Music and F/X are improved for the directors cut, not to mention a few deleted scenes added or changed. Well worth watching.

bassman
23-Jan-2007, 04:01 PM
I agree with Eyebiter. I've seen both edits and I would say that the Director's cut takes it up a notch. Both are very good films, though. I just prefer the music changes and different editing.

But yeah.....Donnie Darko is a great movie. I'm getting tired of waiting for his follow-up, "Southland Tales".

"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion":lol:

jdog
23-Jan-2007, 05:30 PM
i have to agree, this is one of my favorite movies. i watched it 3 times the first day i bought it just to figure it all out. this is a movie that really makes you think and its concept is original. and yes the casting is relly good as well, all actors did a hell of a job.

EvilNed
23-Jan-2007, 05:36 PM
I liked the film. A bit overhyped, and it didn't mess with your mind as much as people claimed it did. I didn't feel a need to rewatch it, and I don't really see what it is we're supposed to rewatch the film for (I did that a few months later, and it wasn't as good the second time around). But definetly a good film nonetheless.

But... Overhyped. :p

bassman
23-Jan-2007, 05:47 PM
It's not that the viewer wouldn't "get it" upon the first viewing, but more like seeing it again you pick up on other things that you never really noticed. For instance, throughout the entire film there are little hints and nods to the finale when the tangent and normal universes connect.

I "got it" the first time I saw it. I just sort of fell in love with it and wanted to go back and see it again(as I'm sure most people did). When I did....I picked up on things that I wouldn't have noticed the first time around. Sort of like "Fight Club", if you know what I mean.

jdog
23-Jan-2007, 05:52 PM
It's not that the viewer wouldn't "get it" upon the first viewing, but more like seeing it again you pick up on other things that you never really noticed. For instance, throughout the entire film there are little hints and nods to the finale when the tangent and normal universes connect.

I "got it" the first time I saw it. I just sort of fell in love with it and wanted to go back and see it again(as I'm sure most people did). When I did....I picked up on things that I wouldn't have noticed the first time around. Sort of like "Fight Club", if you know what I mean.

i know exactly what you mean. the more i watched it the more little things i picked up that i never noticed before

EvilNed
23-Jan-2007, 06:04 PM
Me, I feel once was enough. I might watch it again in a couple of years. But I felt the film had lost it's ingenuity the second time around and I don't want to spoil it further...

Like I did with Fight Club.

bassman
23-Jan-2007, 06:27 PM
Me, I feel once was enough. I might watch it again in a couple of years. But I felt the film had lost it's ingenuity the second time around and I don't want to spoil it further...

Like I did with Fight Club.

I can watch Fight Club every night for the rest of my life and be entertained.:lol: Just like Ghostbusters. But I guess that's why they're high amongst my favorite films.:p

By the way.....did anyone notice on their first viewing of "Donnie Darko" that the smoking man in the red jogging suit was an agent from the FAA? I always tried figuring it out but didn't until I listened to the director commentary....

EvilNed
23-Jan-2007, 06:34 PM
Yeah, I thought that was pretty funny. That is, if you're talking about the scene where Donnie and the chick get interrupted and bothered by that guy staring. If not, then no, I don't know who you're talking about. :p

bassman
23-Jan-2007, 06:38 PM
Yeah, I thought that was pretty funny. That is, if you're talking about the scene where Donnie and the chick get interrupted and bothered by that guy staring. If not, then no, I don't know who you're talking about. :p

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. I always thought it was funny that this dude kept popping up throughout the film, jogging in the same red jogging suit, and always smoking a cigarette. It didn't make much sense and I couldn't find the significance behind it until I listened to the commentary on the Directors Cut DVD.

Apparently he was an agent from the FAA that was sent to be undercover(although not that well:lol: ) and monitor the Darko family.