PDA

View Full Version : FINAL DEADLANDS TEASER TRAILER - Now Available

DjfunkmasterG
24-Mar-2006, 01:16 AM
I slightly enhanced my teaser a bit, contains more violence and a longer running time.

http://www.playingwithdeadthings.com/DEADLANDSTEASER.html

Svengoolie
24-Mar-2006, 02:34 AM
What happened to the muppets?:D

Good job, Dj!:cool:

DjfunkmasterG
24-Mar-2006, 02:38 AM
muppets?

DeadCentral
24-Mar-2006, 03:18 AM
Interesting, a little dark (the viewing quality, that is) but it looks interesting... question though, did I see runners??

jdog
24-Mar-2006, 03:26 AM
looks cool, but not a big fan of runing zombies.

DjfunkmasterG
24-Mar-2006, 03:26 AM
I have both...

For 12 hours after revival you can run. I am using Rigor Mortis rules just modified slightly. After 12 hours they start to slow down drastically.

jdog
24-Mar-2006, 03:32 AM
I have both...

For 12 hours after revival you can run. I am using Rigor Mortis rules just modified slightly. After 12 hours they start to slow down drastically.
i like that , it makes sence.
thats a new well thought out take on the zombie.

DjfunkmasterG
24-Mar-2006, 03:35 AM
Thanks

DeadCentral
24-Mar-2006, 03:44 AM
How about a reason,?? no space viruses disguised as floaty balls or pixie dust and no trioxin right?? lol
whats the premise...... reasoning behind revival ??

DjfunkmasterG
24-Mar-2006, 11:08 AM
You'll just have to wait for the DVD to come out...:p

and yes, I explain it. :D

I didn't want to tread on Romero's theories, or zombie characteristics, except for flesh eating and shooting them in the head, my corpses are much different. I am also going in a more violent direction and will be pushing a few boundries that no horror director I know of ever pushed before.

LouCipherr
24-Mar-2006, 12:09 PM
Well, we discussed the runners a LOT before we even started production. Both Dj and I thought there is no reason why if you're freshly bitten (and not totally devoured - which means you got lucky in this film! :D) that you wouldn't be more limber than a 3 day old corpse and there's no reason why you couldn't move quicker until rigor mortis sets in.

We knew this would upset some purists, but it's logical and would make more sense in a real life situation if this happened.

Believe me, if I were bit and turned a short while later, i'd be RUNNING for my food if I could - at least until I got a bit stiff! :D

There is a mixture of both though, and as Dj said, after a while they all slow down - but when you're 'fresh meat' - you're a lot more limber. ;)

LC

DjfunkmasterG
24-Mar-2006, 12:25 PM
Well, we discussed the runners a LOT before we even started production. Both Dj and I thought there is no reason why if you're freshly bitten (and not totally devoured - which means you got lucky in this film! :D) that you wouldn't be more limber

ROFLMAO

He about sums it up right there.

Pistolero Films
24-Mar-2006, 03:33 PM
I don't see a problem including runners and stumblers. The runners make things a little more terrifying in my opinion. The more stiff they get the more I see the survivalist type flick. When you mix the two together it makes it that much more interesting!

Nice work on the trailer. Can't wait to see the finished product!

axlish
24-Mar-2006, 04:07 PM
Looks fun. Good work with the dollie and/or steadicam.

So when is this getting released?

DjfunkmasterG
24-Mar-2006, 05:29 PM
About 6 more months. We finish principal photography in June, but I am doing Post production as we go.

I will make an announcement when the DVD's will be ready for purchase.

I don't see a problem including runners and stumblers. The runners make things a little more terrifying in my opinion. The more stiff they get the more I see the survivalist type flick. When you mix the two together it makes it that much more interesting!

Nice work on the trailer. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Not much longer :evil:

MinionZombie
24-Mar-2006, 06:01 PM
That's looking pretty sweet, good work Dj.

axlish
24-Mar-2006, 07:04 PM
I also just wanted to say that you have upped the bar for me DJ. Your smooth looking shots inspired me to build that steadicam and reshoot a few things. Cheers DJ.

Another thing. Have you considered trying for distribution commercially on DVD? Selling your DVD could compromise that. Just a thought, because it looks "sellable".

DjfunkmasterG
24-Mar-2006, 07:11 PM
We are in talks about that. (Distributing) I just wanna make sur eit is perfect before it was released.

BTW, Cereval... You were right about the budget!

1 becomes 2, 2 becomes 4, 4 becomes 8 etc etc. :D

Axlish, thanks for the comment about upping the bar. I never set out to break any new ground, but I was dead set (No pun intended) about the scope of the filming being realistic, even if the acting was below par. However... the people in this have exceeded my expectations and have done great jobs in the acting department. I applaud them all.

Your smooth looking shots inspired me to build that steadicam and reshoot a few things.

The smoth shots you see int he film are mostly from having a good tripod, and the fact I bought a 9ft Jib/Crane so I could have smooth shots that looked great, but I also have to give credit to the DP Thomas Fant. Thomas and I discuss the angles and basically I look at the angles and shots I liked in all my favortie film and try to make them look close, but giving it my own little flare.

I walk Thomas through every shot as I see it in my head and then he mimicks the shot with his hands and then tells me... Ok this is doable, or it would be better if we go this way. In fact the car flying out into the street was one of those times where he suggested a different approach and I went with it, because he was making a great point. I wanted the car to face the other way and zoom through the intersection, but he was right when he said it needs to go this way.... which is the way you saw it on the teaser.

Don't get me wrong it isn't always roses, sometimes I am very bull headed and I want to make it the way i see it because it is how I envisioned it and I don't see it working any other way, but I am very open to hearing suggestion from Cast & Crew... Cause let's face it, It is my first film, and God knows I am clueless so if they can make it look better I will give it a shot.

Cereval
24-Mar-2006, 08:01 PM
Looks pretty sweet. I like seeing how it's coming together nicely. Sweet job on the music as well --- what are you using for the soundtracking? Is it completely software based? Or do you play an instrument(s)?

DjfunkmasterG
24-Mar-2006, 08:17 PM
Using a Yamaha Synth, Fruity loops, and the final mix is done in Adobe Audition.

Thanks for the feedback.

BTW, what you are seeing is not the final look of course. I am losing the video look by running Magic Bullet through the clips that were shot interlaced. When i got the DVX100 my DP suggested finishing it in 24P so that's what we're doing. I just need to de-interlace the stuff shot in 60i.

The VFX take the longest to do. I was gonna farm it out to someone, but said screw it and did it myself. The gunshot and head hit are all CGI!

Neil
24-Mar-2006, 09:08 PM
:) Looking forward to it!

chukrok
25-Mar-2006, 08:27 PM
Nice work. I'm interested in seeing the finished product.

DjfunkmasterG
26-Mar-2006, 09:59 AM
Thanks guys...

In all seriousness, I am guess by Late fall of this year it should be completed.

Mike
26-Mar-2006, 01:03 PM
The film looks awsome, kudo's to you DJ and your crew. I am definatly purchasing a copy when finished.

DjfunkmasterG
26-Mar-2006, 07:12 PM
The film looks awsome, kudo's to you DJ and your crew. I am definatly purchasing a copy when finished.

I appreciate that Mike.

I am sure you guys know I am anxious to get it done, not just for myself, but for every zombie fan out there. Here is hoping 2006 is my Year of the Dead.

The crew appreciates your thanks as well.

kortick
27-Mar-2006, 01:57 AM
really impressive man

i want to buy a copy asap
so keep us posted

i am really amazed at the quality that
you film makers put into these projects

having worked on film projects with others
i know how expensive, frustrating and unpredictable
it can be

Trencher
27-Mar-2006, 03:16 AM
Wow that trailer looks good! I'm hoping this project does not run out of steam.

DjfunkmasterG
27-Mar-2006, 12:30 PM
Thanks guys,

The feedback has just been superb, and trust me it won't run out of steam. We are almost finished filming. I have a few big locations to shoot yet, and 3 major sequences to finish, but once it is done... Homepage of the Dead members will be the first to know.

Don't worry I will keep everyone posted each time we film.

So far we have the following filming dates planned

April 7th & 8th
April 14th & 15th

June 2nd & 3rd
June 9th & 10th
June 16th & 17th

We won't be filming in May unless something changes... May is a vacation month for most of us, but I may do some stuff around the city. We still have to do some zombie stuff in the city of Baltimore.

Pistolero Films
27-Mar-2006, 01:11 PM
Just saw the news broadcast - way to go! That kind of media attention means a lot of people will know about it.

Everytime I see a clip or a trailer it gets better and better. I hope you can pull it all off! Looks like a pretty big project. Keep us updated.

DjfunkmasterG
27-Mar-2006, 01:19 PM
We are actually having another news crew coming the 14th & 15th of April, and a local news paper is going to do a big article for their entertainment section on the film.

Once those are done I am gonna include them in the bonus materials for the film.

The feedback we have been getting via email and message boards are phenomenal. We get some slack from the shambler purists, but they have their opinions and we respect that, however, we also know when they see the film we hope they enjoy it for what it is... A zombie film.

Enhanced trailer now available.

See original thread post.

dmbfanintn
31-Mar-2006, 09:56 PM
NICE!!!! I will definitely be getting the DVD when you are done.

BTW DJ, you look too freaking cool with the double fisted pistol grip blasting out some zombie brains! Good Job!

DjfunkmasterG
01-Apr-2006, 12:37 AM
Not me in the hat... That was some guy who played a cop... I am the guy walking through the traffic jam, and seen in the beginning in the trailer walking out with Brian.

But thanks for the compliment, The guy who played the plains clothes cop was a former firearms trainer.

thecoldwarrior
01-Apr-2006, 12:45 AM
If I sound hash please understand that it is only cuz I think you have some real potential!

First off its looking great! It really is! You have been able to do some nice camera effects without forcing them. Everyone has a style so stick to your guns, if you dont belive it then how can the audience?

The acting- if we all had a million dollars thier would be a ton of zombie films, then it would be a matter of choosing the ones that were good, great, and he best. We dont all have that kind of money, but we still have competition! We have to compare ourselves to making something that lives up to what we hold dear, a sound plot with just the right undertone and of course the physics professor in all of us. So with a limited budget we have to comprimise. Its not that friends cant act, they can, but you have to direct them into thinking in a way that the character would. If this horrific event was actually hapening most of us would act much differently than with a cammera near by.

The script- Choosing words is an art! In the same way we act in different situations, we also talk differently. Ever watched a movie that has been edited for network tv? In the original movie the guy says "I;m gonna kill you mofo!!!". In the edit they hire someone to voice over the R rated parts and it turns out something like this "I,m gonna kill you mister!!!". Quite laughable for sure, really changes the mood of that hard core action flick doesnt it! Without trying to target anything in particular, one sceen in the trailer stands out to me. In the car the child says "mommy you just hit that person" and the mom says "honey I dont know what the hell that was but it sure as hell was not a person". It sounds like a script and you can see the set up for the moms response. I have never met that polite a child. I normally have to keep my self from backhanding the snots, and I love kids! lol. I see this ..."mommy you just hit that guy"..."honey sit back and put your belt on". The child can sense the terror in his mom, hes not going to be a brat right now, he is even more terrfyed cuz he has not had the life experiance that he understands people older than him have. The mom would love to sit down and explain every little nuance to the child over a nice tea, but the fact is, if her maternal adrenalin has not kicked in by now it never will. This woman would gladly give reh right arm or even life for this child!

The zombies- Man do they look good or what!!!! Not overly rotting yet still convincing. Your almost to a point were you could add an element of second guessing! Is it a zombie or a very tired friend? Although I like your explination of the runners, I am still reserved about the actuall look. Its a matter of continuity that I really cant speak cuz i dont know where the clips are from in the film. If they have the ability to run in the first few hours, we should never see a single one standing still!!! They are hell bent on achiving thier goal to feed.......now......right now!!!

The director- I dont know you from Adam, but man am I proud of you! Go get em and keep it comming. Why cant Anchor Bay hire people like this?

Thanx for listening -D

DjfunkmasterG
01-Apr-2006, 01:14 AM
Thanks dude...I appreciate constructive criticism like that and we the crew appreciate it, especially being the director I appreciate it a great deal.

Let me offer you some explanations to help a bit. Believe it or not the scenes in the trailer are pretty much in chronological order from the beginning of the film until the middle of the film, except for one scene. So you are seeing some progression of the zombies...

Dialogue -

We talked about the scene you mentioned on set, and believe it or not the original script said, "Mom you just hit that guy", but I wanted The mothers response to be like it is because she is supposed to be our strong, yet vulnerable heroin, that is why her line is delivered as it is, so we changed guy to person for the little kid.

You mentioned snot nose kids... Well you haven't seen nothing. Since the little boys real mom is one of the producers we pulled him in for shooting and have him coming off with some of the most draw dropping sh*t you have ever heard. He is only 9 and took a lot of coaching, but I think everyone will be rooting for him the most.

As far as camera movements and technical stuff... When i decided to do my own zombie picture I said I don't want to do what other indie guys did, so I bought the stuff I needed to have more "real big budget Movie" feel. I sat down with everyone and said... "Look we can't really bring anything new to the game that hasn't been done, all we can do is go out there and do our best, but I want everyone to know the scope and feel has to be what you would find in a hollywood production."

I wanted to try to raise the bar a bit on low budget indie zombie films, I am not knocking anyone elses abilities, I applaud everyones effort, but for me film is something I hold very true to my heart and I want to bring something to the fans that is top notch even if the $$$ aint there for this kind of thing.

Everyone one who has a speaking part is a friend, and since they could work for free I knew talent wise I would be hurting a bit, however everyone surprised me and have been doing their best for the good of the production, and if someone came to me right now and offered me $1,000,000 to re-shoot this and get better actors, I wouldn't do it because when I wrote the film I saw these people as the main characters.

I went in with mid level expectations, but everytime one of the actors does something good I push them to do it better and better. Everyone is having a good time and I like to keep spirits up on the set as much as possible If I have trouble getting a piece of direction across my DP will sometimes offer to step in a give a little direction to help convey my point... He has done some short films, and was one of the team members who one the Baltimore 2005 48 hour film festival for best picture. He knows this is my first gig so any advice he gives I listen too, and I appreciate.

I am eager as hell to finish this to get it out there for the hard core fans. Once it is out there I hope they enjoy watching it as much as we did making it.

again thanks for the feedback, and cheers :D

Wahsleety
01-Apr-2006, 05:27 AM
Nice to see my home town in a zombie flick, very cool. I agree some of the acting could be better, but i actually thought the kids line was the best delivered. Well keep up the good work.

DjfunkmasterG
01-Apr-2006, 12:46 PM
When you're working on a very low budget and people with zero acting experience... You have to take the good with the bad. However, I think everyone has done a great job. I have seen films that cost $5000,000 with actors not nearly as good as what i have. (cough) Children of the Living Dead (cough)

erisi236
01-Apr-2006, 02:30 PM
hey that was pretty snazzy :cool:

DjfunkmasterG
04-Apr-2006, 01:50 AM
Thanks DUDE! :D

Adrenochrome
04-Apr-2006, 03:28 PM
there's one scene, "female zombie slams hands on car window" thru "someone shoots a gun" - that "area" and the percussion/drum-intro sync wonderfully.

DjfunkmasterG
04-Apr-2006, 03:45 PM
It does doesn't it.

DjfunkmasterG
22-Apr-2006, 04:05 AM
The trailer has been re-cut... give it look on the main website

www.playingwithdeadthings.com

dmbfanintn
22-Apr-2006, 10:35 PM
Very Nice!!

DjfunkmasterG
23-Apr-2006, 02:53 PM
Thanks...

Now onto the good news, 85% of the CGI (Visual FX) involved in the film is almost complete. I just finished the bulk of it last night. Only a few more shots yet to be filmed will need CGI.

Neil
23-Apr-2006, 03:13 PM
Please!!! No imperial walkers!!!

DjfunkmasterG
23-Apr-2006, 03:21 PM
Please!!! No imperial walkers!!!

I guess I better delete Jar Jar. :D

dmbfanintn
23-Apr-2006, 03:26 PM
I guess I better delete Jar Jar. :D

NOOOOOO JarJar must stay!!!!:eek:

MinionZombie
23-Apr-2006, 05:03 PM
So a zombie can chow on his brains and then someone can shoot him in the head ... a lot. :cool:

DjfunkmasterG
23-Apr-2006, 10:31 PM
I just posted some pics from the easter weekend shoot as well. Including the filming of a scene.

http://www.playingwithdeadthings.com/Pictures

DjfunkmasterG
15-May-2006, 09:02 PM
Deadlands Trailer now available in Quicktime, but only as a Download.

See further down the list

deadwrtr
15-May-2006, 09:13 PM
This may have already been brought up, but...

Any plans to submit your film to Deadpit.com for review?

DeadCentral
15-May-2006, 09:18 PM
I like the soundtrack behind it DJ, great ambience ... looks better and better every trailer so far ...Kudos man !!

DjfunkmasterG
15-May-2006, 09:52 PM
This may have already been brought up, but...

Any plans to submit your film to Deadpit.com for review?

I already put a link on their website. After the inside-Report show airs I am going to stop publicity as it is starting to get over exposed now.

I like the soundtrack behind it DJ, great ambience ... looks better and better every trailer so far ...Kudos man !!

I think that is my best Musical composition for this film to date. That trailer is the same which is on the website, just formatted for Quicktime. Some people using mac's can't see the WMV version so i made it for them.

DeadCentral
16-May-2006, 01:06 AM
Yeah the score sounds original, has an erie feel and a great background mood setting, it works with the trailer much better. It gives the overall clip a nice creepy feel that catches ones attention... well done man , very well done.

LouCipherr
17-May-2006, 06:59 PM
This is one of my favorite things about this project: the music! Somehow Dj tapped into exactly what the film needed soundtrack-wise, and just laid it down. :D I'm still in awe how nicely the music fits with the action on screen. ;)

DjfunkmasterG
17-May-2006, 07:04 PM
This is one of my favorite things about this project: the music! Somehow Dj tapped into exactly what the film needed soundtrack-wise, and just laid it down. :D I'm still in awe how nicely the music fits with the action on screen. ;)

Thank you Thank you Thank you.

Now you know why they call me the MASTER of FUNK

:Pat self on back Smiley:

LOL

I am still writing music four times a week for this film. The soundtrack alone will have probably close to 45 tracks on it and only 15+ will be i the film.

LouCipherr
17-May-2006, 07:51 PM
Thank you Thank you Thank you.

Now you know why they call me the MASTER of FUNK

Yeah, you're the 'master' of something alright, although I dunno if it's funk! :elol: :p

Seriously, the soundtrack is kickin' - and we all know a soundtrack can make or break a film. Ask Carpenter about it. He screened Halloween with no music at one point, and the movie peoples told him "not scary at all" - then he put music to it and suddenly it was a creepy movie. :D

It's all about the music, man! ;)

MinionZombie
17-May-2006, 09:57 PM
I have to say that a frickin' great trailer, the film is looking rather tasty and the music is friggin' great, I was really impressed, it really fits damn well. All involved should be very proud of the movie. :cool:

erisi236
19-May-2006, 10:43 PM
hey DJ, can I do a milk jug solo for the soundtrack? :D

LouCipherr
20-May-2006, 04:41 PM
hey DJ, can I do a milk jug solo for the soundtrack? :D

:lol:

I was thinking a milk-jug blues band complete with wash-tub bass would be a good idea, but I couldn't convince Dj it was a good idea. :D

DjfunkmasterG
31-May-2006, 02:50 PM
The official teaser trailer is now available in Quicktime for DOWNLOAD.

www.playingwithdeadthings.com/Deadlands3.mov

Although I prefer WMV files I have had a few PM requests for a Quicktime release. This export is the final and best quality version I could export from the editor.