PDA

View Full Version : Shredded on Other Forums...

livingdeadboy
17-Feb-2007, 02:02 PM
You know I really got to hand it you all of you, you all rock...at least you are all supportive in your own right.

Sometimes I will find other forums, and find posts about Night and just cringe ---> LIKE THIS ONE (http://www.zombie-nation.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9214&page=3)

I am not gonna tell somebody not to voice their opinion, but holy crap. I think a few people might be taking this a little to personally, its enough to drive me to insanity lol.

So I think this might be what happens in the future, since I can't convince people through the power of words that this movie was made for fun. I am going to post this movie online like I did with Escalation, free of charge, you can watch it whenever the hell you want. And if there are still people out there who want to buy a copy of it, then sure. So there it is, that are my thoughts at this current time...anyone got any thoughts or feelings on this?

HLS
17-Feb-2007, 02:21 PM
I am a member there as well. your trailer is not a joke. They are for trashing a movie they have not seen yet. For a low budget film I think it looks awesome and the trailer looks very professional. Do not listen to them. You have talent. Those guys are probably 45 year old virgins living in their mothers basement.:D Well anyways I posted a note in your defense:)

capncnut
17-Feb-2007, 03:30 PM
Erm, why are you listening to the views of people on that tin pot site. Sure I could throw in my ideas but at the end of the day, you do what feels right. There are benefits on both sides (money on the dvd side, recognition on the web side) and I would hate to have to call it. Maybe you should release it on dvd (get a little bit of that moolah back) and then release it free on the web a while later. At least you've told everybody and given them the option.

Tofu
17-Feb-2007, 04:25 PM
Hi, all. Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

livingdeadboy, if you want my honest opinion... let 'em shred. I agree with every sentiment expressed here. Your trailer looks awesome, I'm stoked about the movie, and just about everybody else on those other forums seem like knee-jerk reactionaries, rather than giving real, honest criticism (although, to be honest, I didn't read the *entire* thread... I got disgusted after the fourth post or so and closed it out, heh).

All I gotta say is, as a young budding filmmaker myself, I could only hope to produce something half as awesome as NOTLD07 is looking. Congrats. :)

I won't give any advice on whether you should release it free or not, because I honestly don't know what I'd do in your situation either. I will say that even if you did release it free, you'd still have one DVD purchase coming from me. :)

Can't wait!

Debbieangel
17-Feb-2007, 05:49 PM
There are going to be people that like your movie and people that hate it thats it!
You made it cause you wanted to make it dont go by people just seeing the trailer...trailers by themselves for me are deceiving anyway! You can hate the trailer and it can be an awesome movie!
You have worked hard on your movie dont let people bring you down now!!!
If you are that unsure of it maybe you should do what others did...send a few copies to people you trust that would give good feedback before you go giving it out there for free to everyone!
Then go from there!
Hon dont let a few people that slammed you set you back like this in my opinion and I am just a consumer and long time lover of zombie movies...You keep on keeping on!!!!! Dont let anyone push you back you are doing good work!!!!!

kortick
17-Feb-2007, 06:46 PM
Reese

I dont like this change in your attiude
you are letting those people get to you badly

you worked hard on the film
and you never pretended to be doing this
film for anything other than for fun
and cuz you like the movie

the people on the other site are
saying that you are lying and you are only in for the money
i guess they cant think beyond those terms themselves
so they have to assign them to everyone else too

i am not going to put down the site or the people there
but they complain and insult quite a bit
just the little i have read they have insulted not only you and hls
but rubenstien, spiderman 3, trailers for indie movies and
in a roundabout way even deadlands

this guy john titor who is in charge
well more power to him i guess
the fact he calls himself john titor is in itself very telling
(if you dont know who john titor is check it out)
he says heidi isnt accurate in her opinion because she has never seen the film, however- she has communicated with the film maker, reese, directly thru these posts
Have any of them ever contacted you
or are they all second hand info?
id really like to know

so no hls hasnt seen the film either is true
but she has spoken with the film maker and knows more about the
thing than they do.
to say that they shouldnt slam it cuz they havent seen it
and to give it a chance is hardly wrong even if she hasnt seen it herself.

you know reese i have been in touch with you
and I d like to let everyone here know
that this young man is very cool
he is intelligent and has a passion for what he does

i warned you reese
that you would get this type of reaction from people

dont let it get to you as it obviously has

the people on this site would have gladly
trashed you and your film if they thought it deserved it

instead you got a dedicated forum
with a whole bunch of true zombie fans
encouraging you and looking foward to seeing it
that is what separates this site from others
anyone can put someone else down
try to be supportive to one of your own is harder

we are here for you reese
and if i had to choose between which 2 sites id rather have
on my side--well id want this place over that one

they are entitled to thier opinions,
even though they are all insults about everything
make yourself feel more important by putting others down
is the theme there
long may they enjoy that philosophy

reese dont make me come out to canada to slap you
dont lose faith now

we are here for you man

HLS
17-Feb-2007, 07:45 PM
And I was nice about my post over there too. I even stated that I was not trying to come accross bad. I Just that I think its unfair to get rude over something they never saw or know nothing about. There is nothing wrong with negative critism but there is a way to be professional about it. They were just being jerks for they had nothing better to do. Even if it is low budget I wish i just had half the talent that Reese, JJ and MZ have.
I, in general, hate low budget flicks and it takes alot for me to say that I think you guys have talent. :D

Reese

I dont like this change in your attiude
you are letting those people get to you badly

you worked hard on the film
and you never pretended to be doing this
film for anything other than for fun
and cuz you like the movie

the people on the other site are
saying that you are lying and you are only in for the money
i guess they cant think beyond those terms themselves
so they have to assign them to everyone else too

i am not going to put down the site or the people there
but they complain and insult quite a bit
just the little i have read they have insulted not only you and hls
but rubenstien, spiderman 3, trailers for indie movies and
in a roundabout way even deadlands

this guy john titor who is in charge
well more power to him i guess
the fact he calls himself john titor is in itself very telling
(if you dont know who john titor is check it out)
he says heidi isnt accurate in her opinion because she has never seen the film, however- she has communicated with the film maker, reese, directly thru these posts
Have any of them ever contacted you
or are they all second hand info?
id really like to know

so no hls hasnt seen the film either is true
but she has spoken with the film maker and knows more about the
thing than they do.
to say that they shouldnt slam it cuz they havent seen it
and to give it a chance is hardly wrong even if she hasnt seen it herself.

you know reese i have been in touch with you
and I d like to let everyone here know
that this young man is very cool
he is intelligent and has a passion for what he does

i warned you reese
that you would get this type of reaction from people

dont let it get to you as it obviously has

the people on this site would have gladly
trashed you and your film if they thought it deserved it

instead you got a dedicated forum
with a whole bunch of true zombie fans
encouraging you and looking foward to seeing it
that is what separates this site from others
anyone can put someone else down
try to be supportive to one of your own is harder

we are here for you reese
and if i had to choose between which 2 sites id rather have
on my side--well id want this place over that one

they are entitled to thier opinions,
even though they are all insults about everything
make yourself feel more important by putting others down
is the theme there
long may they enjoy that philosophy

reese dont make me come out to canada to slap you
dont lose faith now

we are here for you man

I been here for about 2 1/2 years or so and I think hpotd has grown up a great deal. People here on the most part are mature and supportive and intelligent. Stick with us and we will cheer you up :D

Debbieangel
17-Feb-2007, 10:55 PM
Kor and HLS BRAVO!!!! AGREED!!!
Kor you said it all baby!!!
NOW dont let them Shred you anymore and if that site bothers you so much dont go there, dont let all your hard work go down the drain!!!
Remember ALL of us HERE are are HERE for you!!!
There are alot of filmmakers here you can contact that you can talk to that will help you get thru these feeling you are having about your film...I am sure they go thru the same thing!!!
Like I have said before when someone put Dj's movie down...people that put down a filmmakers film need to go and pick up the camera themselves and just see how hard it is making a flick!!!
Heck, an idea for you filmmakers! ya need to just make a couple of hours attached to your film just to show these jokers just how hard it is to make your film! :mad:

capncnut
18-Feb-2007, 02:11 AM
Totally agreed. Reese, not long ago you was talking about theater screenings, now your talking about You Tube. F**k the haters, they're all pussies. How long has it taken you now to get to this stage? A lot of people love this movie so why not give it/you the respect it/you deserves. Tear ass man.

ngm231
18-Feb-2007, 03:38 AM
dude people dont know what their talkin about.. F**kem dont listen to their bs... ive got a 20 in my wallet waiting to buy a copy..

Fleshmunch
18-Feb-2007, 07:49 AM
I just watched the new trailer and it's bad. You've committed a cardinal sin, adding crappy heavy metal music. Reese, that is a sign of a bad amateur movie. An unwatchably bad amateur movie. Todd Sheets fills his zombie movies with terrible heavy metal music, thanks Batman and Jesus in his credits, and has no talent whatsoever. Please tell me you just F-ed up and used that music as a favor to a friend in a band, that you didn't put that garbage on your soundtrack! I don't hate heavy metal music (although I hate it in horror movies), but I do hate BAD metal, and that, my friend, is some of the worst, most obnoxiously irritating crap I've ever heard. Dump that music and your movie will improve, at least enough to not make people hit the "eject" button right away. Horror movies should have horror music, not horrible music. There's a difference. :rolleyes: Look at the NotLD 30th anniversary edition--they added crap music to that and got trashed for it (among all their other mistakes, like ever doing the new edition in the first place). :mad:

Other problems with the trailer are too many to mention, but to name a few: the freeze frames are bad, the titles look weak and are poorly written, the whole thing is too long, there's not enough action, it fails to tell the audience how your film is new and different, and did I mention the music? It renders it unwatchable. Not everybody who likes horror likes heavy metal, and not everybody who likes heavy metal likes it in their horror movies. You just aliennated a big percentage of your audience, choosing to play to the "pinhead" crowd (and I'm not talking Hellraiser!). This is in addition to the people you aliennated by calling your film NotLD... :rolleyes:

I'm not a fan of your remake and won't bother to get into all the reasons why I think it is a terrible idea, that's been done to death elsewhere. Instead, I thought I'd swallow my venom (as much as possible) and offer some constructive criticism on your new trailer, because you are hurting your film's image further by releasing crap trailers like that... You could have the best film ever, but with that trailer, people would pay NOT to see it. Anyone who tells you that trailer is "good" or "kicks ass" is blowing smoke up your butt or delusional. Throw that trailer away and strip out any music by that band that you may have put in your movie. They suck and will hurt your film.

I don't remember your original trailer looking (or sounding) as bad as this. You only need one good trailer, not a bunch of bad ones. Quality over quantity.

Danny
18-Feb-2007, 09:35 AM
^ i think everyone is sick of metal in zombie films, as for naysayers in general, if you have done your own thing for fun, screw em, youve made a film, people bitchin' aint gonna un-make it, unless theyve done one OR even seen it they cant bitch, id hold my bitching till ive at least seen a film.

EDIT - somethign i should post, look up hellsing on zombie nation, yes thats me there too, with like 25 posts, that forum sucks balls, its allways just twogunbob and that jhon ****ing titor "the fastest man alive" bitching at everyone like ****ing cesear.
in short screw that forum, i hate the damn place and havent been there for like a year at least, since it got hacked again anyway.

livingdeadboy
18-Feb-2007, 02:29 PM
I just watched the new trailer and it's bad. You've committed a cardinal sin, adding crappy heavy metal music. Reese, that is a sign of a bad amateur movie. An unwatchably bad amateur movie. Todd Sheets fills his zombie movies with terrible heavy metal music, thanks Batman and Jesus in his credits, and has no talent whatsoever. Please tell me you just F-ed up and used that music as a favor to a friend in a band, that you didn't put that garbage on your soundtrack! I don't hate heavy metal music (although I hate it in horror movies), but I do hate BAD metal, and that, my friend, is some of the worst, most obnoxiously irritating crap I've ever heard. Dump that music and your movie will improve, at least enough to not make people hit the "eject" button right away. Horror movies should have horror music, not horrible music. There's a difference. :rolleyes: Look at the NotLD 30th anniversary edition--they added crap music to that and got trashed for it (among all their other mistakes, like ever doing the new edition in the first place). :mad:

Other problems with the trailer are too many to mention, but to name a few: the freeze frames are bad, the titles look weak and are poorly written, the whole thing is too long, there's not enough action, it fails to tell the audience how your film is new and different, and did I mention the music? It renders it unwatchable. Not everybody who likes horror likes heavy metal, and not everybody who likes heavy metal likes it in their horror movies. You just aliennated a big percentage of your audience, choosing to play to the "pinhead" crowd (and I'm not talking Hellraiser!). This is in addition to the people you aliennated by calling your film NotLD... :rolleyes:

I'm not a fan of your remake and won't bother to get into all the reasons why I think it is a terrible idea, but I thought I'd offer some constructive criticism on your new trailer, because you are hurting your film's image further by releasing crap trailers like that...

If your talking about that little intro on the main page of the website, I didn't make that, nor did I have anything to do with it, so yeah...you wasted two paragraphs of my precious morning reading time on something I didn't make.

Oh yeah and there is a difference between constructive criticism and pure a** rape, which the above is. Stop tearing down, what you couldn't do in a lifetime. Unless you can, which I doubt, cause you wouldn't be hear tearing me a knew one. Please don't respond to this, in fact I've already wasted my time, by dropping to your level and arguing against your nazi tirade.

So anyways, have a good day.

your number one fan, Reese :)

Fleshmunch
18-Feb-2007, 03:14 PM
It doesn't matter who did that trailer or "intro," or why. It hurts your film's reputation by having it up. Honest to god, I was trying to help you and maybe I was a dick about it because I am so morally opposed to what you are doing with this remake, but there is value in the advice I've given. Value which you could see if you could look past your anger and frustration. But whatever. I tried.

I'm going to bow out of this now to let the well-wishers have at it.

EvilNed
18-Feb-2007, 04:12 PM
I'm in the middle. Personally, I'm not psyched in the least about another Night of the Living Dead film, and I'm not going to watch this one. May come off as rude, but hey. On the other hand, if that's what you want to do then do it. You're not forcing me to watch it, so I don't give a damn.

As for them trashing you on another forum you pretty much need to realize that you can't escape that. Whatever you do. Heck, I do what they do all the time. What if Zack Snyder walked onto this board and saw what we wrote about 300? Would he go to the official forums for that movie and start a thread about how he feels unfairly treated? No. Negative reviews, views and implications are abound. They're everywhere in everything we do. I haven't seen 300, but I'm still 99% sure it will suck ass. It looks like ****ing **** and they butchered a really good story - of course I'm pissed! And they have every right to be pissed at you for what they percieve as you doing the same.

I'm not taking sides here, tho. I've already stated that I'm not psyched about another NOTLD remake, but then again I have no reason to support them.

On the heavy metal side, if you LIKE heavy metal and you WANT it in your film. Then put it in your film. It's your film, and if metal suits it then put it in. Personally, I think heavy metal can be kickass in a zombiefilm given the right circumstances. Why would it be any worse than cheesy synthesisers?

coma
18-Feb-2007, 06:15 PM
Synthesizers are cool, cheesy is not. As far a metal, Doom or Melvins speed garage grindcore would be better, but people always use the same thing, new metal. That has nothing to do you though, Reese.
I think the movie looks cool, though if you just ripped off NOTLD and changed the name you would get more play and less criticism that has nothing to do with your film. People dont mind ripoffs so much because every single zombie ghoul movie is a rip off of GAR of sorts. Getting Dogged out sucks, but it's what happens when you put work out in public.
Are you surprised at some of the venom? People have been complaining about remakes for the last few years. Hopefully, the work will do the talking and the haters (Valid or not) dicks will be in the dirt.
I saw some trailers, thought it was a good take and looked good cinematically and the acting actually seemed good. I would suggest, next time, change it up a bit and save yourself the grief.

capncnut
18-Feb-2007, 06:30 PM
somethign i should post, look up hellsing on zombie nation, yes thats me there too, with like 25 posts, that forum sucks balls, its allways just twogunbob and that jhon ****ing titor "the fastest man alive" bitching at everyone like ****ing cesear.
Hasn't that guy got like over 27,000 posts? Man, that forum hasn't been going longer than a couple of years. Makes you wonder. I don't normally diss other sites but just looking at the pathetic way he tore into one of the members in that link just made me feel sorry for him. Completely uncalled for. Completely un-professional.

CrazyKid.kiTTie
18-Feb-2007, 06:43 PM

I'm not a fan of your remake and won't bother to get into all the reasons why I think it is a terrible idea, that's been done to death elsewhere. Instead, I thought I'd swallow my venom (as much as possible) and offer some constructive criticism on your new trailer, because you are hurting your film's image further by releasing crap trailers like that... You could have the best film ever, but with that trailer, people would pay NOT to see it. Anyone who tells you that trailer is "good" or "kicks ass" is blowing smoke up your butt or delusional. Throw that trailer away and strip out any music by that band that you may have put in your movie. They suck and will hurt your film.

I don't remember your original trailer looking (or sounding) as bad as this. You only need one good trailer, not a bunch of bad ones. Quality over quantity.

Thats because he didnt make it. Unfortinutly if you havent realy noticed, on the site, if you have entered, you would actually see well MY NAME Theresa -website maker. Maybe if you just took the time to look at who teh web master is, then you just might not make a fool out of yourself. And no for a matter affact its noton the sountrack. and secondly, I enjoy that song very much. Not because of the instraments because ofthe lovely message. Now lets see you make a movie with only windows media player... no wonder why its crappy. so suck it... Im too peeved and wayy too busy to worry about some intro page... It was short simple and easy.... oh and its not a trailer dummy.

Danny
18-Feb-2007, 06:56 PM
Hasn't that guy got like over 27,000 posts? Man, that forum hasn't been going longer than a couple of years. Makes you wonder. I don't normally diss other sites but just looking at the pathetic way he tore into one of the members in that link just made me feel sorry for him. Completely uncalled for. Completely un-professional.

yeah, he posts like more a day than me you mz, and dj combined then doubled, officially no life and anythign from comic books to videogames, he knows more than you ever could:rolleyes: never before nor since have i disliked a guy on a forum as much as jhon ****ing titor.

ahh...good to vent sometimes:)

EvilNed
18-Feb-2007, 07:08 PM
Thats because he didnt make it...

Don't be such an asshole towards someone who just offered constructive critisism.

If you guys don't WANT any constructive critisism, then stop making movies. Better yet, stop remaking movies.

I'm not saying you guys are doing anything wrong. But it's very annoying when you sting back like a scorpion if someone says they don't agree with you.

CrazyKid.kiTTie
18-Feb-2007, 07:31 PM
Don't be such an asshole towards someone who just offered constructive critisism.

If you guys don't WANT any constructive critisism, then stop making movies. Better yet, stop remaking movies.

I'm not saying you guys are doing anything wrong. But it's very annoying when you sting back like a scorpion if someone says they don't agree with you.

Its not because of his critisism, its just that made the webpage and I'd rather have him talk to me about the site and not with Reese, because he and I are dealing with other things, he deals with the movie, I deal with the sites. Thats why I have a link to my email for others to email me to well tell me about the site. Its just he needs to get his facts straight before he can truely critisise anyone.

EvilNed
18-Feb-2007, 08:25 PM
Its not because of his critisism, its just that made the webpage and I'd rather have him talk to me about the site and not with Reese, because he and I are dealing with other things, he deals with the movie, I deal with the sites. Thats why I have a link to my email for others to email me to well tell me about the site. Its just he needs to get his facts straight before he can truely critisise anyone.

He didn't critisize the website, he critisized the trailer. Thus, I fail to see why you should trashtalk him.

Andy
18-Feb-2007, 09:22 PM
Hey guys ease off the staff at Zombie-Nation, particullarly john titor, ive spoken to him personally and he has apologised for any offense caused to HPotD and our forum integrity, he's also agreed to close the topic on Z-N so i think the least we could do is show them the same courtesy, ok?

jdog
18-Feb-2007, 10:05 PM
yeah, he posts like more a day than me you mz, and dj combined then doubled, officially no life and anythign from comic books to videogames, he knows more than you ever could:rolleyes: never before nor since have i disliked a guy on a forum as much as jhon ****ing titor.

ahh...good to vent sometimes:)

i agree the guy seems like a goof, he comes across like he is the man. no class

livingdeadboy
18-Feb-2007, 10:23 PM
Wow, this whole topic really escalated into a full blown thing while I was gone for the day. I am just going to tie this all up now:

First off, I posted this thread because I have a forum to write whatever I want to about this flick. And this seemed like an issue to bring up, actually it was more like a little footnote leading to the fact that In the end, this movie is just being released online.

I still stand by what I say, constructive criticsm is one thing, this ---> "Reese, that is a sign of a bad amateur movie. An unwatchably bad amateur movie." and a whole other paragraph of why the movie looks like it will be awful, is not, if there is value in your words, then I'm sorry but I just don't see it. But as you said, whatever, dead issue.

As for what Andy said, I agree, I am just going to drop this thread after this post. Shouldn't have posted anything about the zombie nation thread in the first place, and sorry if it caused them any problems.

Andy
18-Feb-2007, 10:29 PM
As for what Andy said, I agree, I am just going to drop this thread after this post. Shouldn't have posted anything about the zombie nation thread in the first place, and sorry if it caused them any problems.

No worries man, you got a place to vent here and im not trying to stop that, you got alot of backup from our members which is cool... myself, if im honest with you, i have mixed feelings from what ive seen of your film, but im waiting to see it before i cast any judgements.

Now my issue here is NOT that you were venting here, dont worry about that man, my issue is that some comments on both sides have turned personal.. the moderator i spoke to on Zombie Nations has admitted some of the comments were out of line and has apologised, he's also going to the lock the topic over there so it cant continue.

Now the last thing i want and he wants, is this escalating into a full blow **** slinging conflict between HPotD and Zombie Nations, thats my concern here man.

capncnut
18-Feb-2007, 11:54 PM
Now the last thing i want and he wants, is this escalating into a full blow **** slinging conflict between HPotD and Zombie Nations, thats my concern here man.
Completely agree. Never meant to get personal with the guy but, on an internet forum, I can only judge but what I read. No offense intended. :)

HLS
19-Feb-2007, 12:06 AM
Kor and HLS BRAVO!!!! AGREED!!!
Kor you said it all baby!!!
NOW dont let them Shred you anymore and if that site bothers you so much dont go there, dont let all your hard work go down the drain!!!
Remember ALL of us HERE are are HERE for you!!!
There are alot of filmmakers here you can contact that you can talk to that will help you get thru these feeling you are having about your film...I am sure they go thru the same thing!!!
Like I have said before when someone put Dj's movie down...people that put down a filmmakers film need to go and pick up the camera themselves and just see how hard it is making a flick!!!
Heck, an idea for you filmmakers! ya need to just make a couple of hours attached to your film just to show these jokers just how hard it is to make your film! :mad:

You put that in words well. :D

Hey guys ease off the staff at Zombie-Nation, particullarly john titor, ive spoken to him personally and he has apologised for any offense caused to HPotD and our forum integrity, he's also agreed to close the topic on Z-N so i think the least we could do is show them the same courtesy, ok?

I dont think anyone mentioned HPOTD on the ZN board? But then again i have not been there reading the post since last. John Titor seems to be an ok guy :D

Fleshmunch
19-Feb-2007, 01:47 AM

The trailer is on the site and is intended to promote the movie. It's an easy assumption to make that Reese either cut the trailer personally, supervised its creation, or approved its use. I can't be expected to know who did what; that's a bit unfair, don't you think? It is Reese's movie and the trailer reflects on him as well as the film. I pointed out that, IMO, it did a disservice to the film (and, by default, to Reese as director) and pointed out why it was flawed and how to improve it. Trailers are an important marketing tool, and if you release bad ones out there, you will lose sales and draw criticism.

Every movie I've ever seen that has included metal on the soundtrack has suffered as a result, and completely unnecessarily, from Agento's Phenomena to Dead Men Walking. There is an exception, and that is for good metal, rock, punk, whatever, to be placed in the main or end titles, but kept out of the film proper and in its advertising. Look at The Cave; they had Nemo by Nightwish, a beautiful goth-metal song, but they stuck it in the end titles where it did not affect anyone's enjoyment of the movie. Dawn of the Dead '04 had Down With The Sickness and some other songs on the soundtrack but they were relegated to the titles.

The vast majority of people who stick metal into their movies are young and/or operating under the delusion that it makes their movie more "extreme" when all it does is give viewers a headache and make them reach for the remote. No one will bother to listen to loud music they hate, they won't listen to the lyrics to reflect on the songwriter's message, or whatever. They will scream, "ARGH! This song sucks! Fast forward or shut this movie off!" I can't tell you how many movies have gone from merely bad to unwatchable because somebody just had to insert scenes of their favorite band into the movie, or put songs that didn't belong on the soundtrack.

Your film will be better if you stick to horror music. Again, I bring up NotLD 30th Anniversary Edition as an example of ruining a movie with bad music. Or the silent vampire classic Nosferatu (1921) scored by Type O Negative. It just doesn't work. It takes people out of the moment, out of the movie, and makes them focus on the music, not the scene. It's one thing to have the song playing in the background on the radio or MTV or whatever, then shut it off. That works, because it lets you know something about the characters who are listening to it--like the Michael Madsen ear cutting scene in Reservoir Dogs (not metal, but still applies).

At your budget level, you're not going to be able to afford to license good music, so your best bet is to use either stock music or hire/convince someone with talent to do it. And the band on that trailer are NOT who you should be using--that kind of music will badly date the movie--artistic quality (or lack thereof) aside.

If you care anything at all about making this a good movie, you'll at least consider the possibility that I'm right and not scream, "You just a**-raped me, you're a Nazi!"

Will music choice ultimately save NotLD '07? The answer is probably not, but it sure the hell can't hurt. Look, you guys are young and have taken on a monumental challenge, not just making a movie, but remaking a classic with a microscopic budget. On the one hand, I applaud you for getting out there and making a movie. On the other, I'm upset that you are remaking one of my favorite movies, regardless of motives, because what I've seen so far looks about as good as a Todd Sheets backyard movie. That's my opinion and it must be a majority opinion, because you turned off comments on YouTube and are flipping out whenever someone criticizes or questions your decisions. Granted, some of them have been mean, maybe unfair, but you are messing with people's dreams, with a movie that gives their lives meaning, and you are gonna catch hell for that, regardless of how your movie turns out. If it ends up good, then some of that vitriol will vanish, and NotLD '07 may earn some grudging acceptance.

In the end, it's your movie, do what you want, but you shouldn't discount constructive criticism out of hand and try to shift blame. If you've got some 17-year-old metalhead cutting your trailers, this is what you're going to get: inexperienced, shoddy work, no matter how enthusiastic or well-intentioned. He may be a great guy (and I'm sure he's cheap, as in free), but he ain't any good at cutting trailers, at least not yet.

I think your best bet for a trailer that will win people over is to do a slick 30-second spot (60-seconds, tops) that crams as much zombie action as possible with scary instrumental horror music. Really build tension and horror. All this long, drawn-out stuff with words on the screen is not working. It's NotLD, you don't need to rehash what everybody already knows. Cut the trailer to the beat of the music. I'm sure you can put something halfway decent together. You've got all the zombie crowd scenes--those are your one big strength, it makes your film look bigger in scope that most SOV backyard movies.

livingdeadboy
19-Feb-2007, 04:32 AM
There is no heavy metal, or rock music of any kind in this movie, come to think of it, I am pretty sure I have never cut a scene to any rock music before. The soundtrack was finished awhile ago and is a horror soundtrack. The intro to the website is what it is, it was made without me, but does not feature any music like that in the movie. For the type of trailer you are looking for --- > WATCH HERE (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2248183649785323912&hl=en)

And you can check out this as well ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZB0_EyelgI

Its a teaser that plays before our last movie ESCALATION. If anything, we've used un-original music in trailers, but our movies have scores that were made strictly for the movie.

coma
19-Feb-2007, 04:39 AM
Or the silent vampire classic Nosferatu (1921) scored by Type O Negative. dy knows. Cut the trailer to the beat of the music. I'm sure
I HATE that band. They totally, totally suck and That Pete whatshisname is the hugest, gapingest asswipe on earth. He is, in person (like at a party etc) a egotistical rude buttmunch. I would say I hate him too, but that would imply I care.
Thanks for bringing them up... NOT:p

xxStephy
19-Feb-2007, 04:52 AM
I have just recently been directed to the forum over at Zombie Nation that is discussing your film, and I thought it was time for me to voice my own opinion on the subject matter. By making the assumption that the “flamers” regularly checks these forums I can presume that they will see what exactly it is that I have to say in regards to their various replies to your trailer, website, etc.

As far as your trailer and website go, the expression “constructive criticism” comes to mind. If you’re going to insult a piece of work, at least have the decency to tell the person how they can improve on it. Calling it “a low budget piece of ****” or “a joke” is just ridiculous, you’re providing no help to anyone, and you’re just spreading hate.

So please if you’re going to comment on something someone has made next time please provide an explanation on how it can be improved instead of making yourself look like an idiot.

As for your trailer and website, my personal opinion is that they look well done for what you had to work with and I cannot wait to see the finished product. Hopefully then people will be able to provide assessment beneficially in hopes that you will be able to become even better for your next film.

19-Feb-2007, 03:39 PM
i leave for Italy and people start attacking LivingDeadBoy, trying to squash his happyness after completing what is obviously a dear and personal project to him. Well to all the Night07 haters, here is my educated response: F U C K Y O U A L L !!

LDB, it is obvious you are looking for your own filmmaking style, developing your own techniques, trying new things, experimenting, having fun and judging from escalation and your trailers, and most importantly..,. you are GETTING BETTER. Good for you, my undead loving brother! the fact that you used Night of the Living Dead as a remake is great because it will just piss off the haters that sit at their comp and do nothing but talk ****. and metal or not, a filmmaker can use whatever sound he ****ing wants for his own movie. personally i think metal and zombies make the perfect combo! throw in a little organ, whatever. every scene is different. all these assholes that bitch because zombie movies dont have scores that sound like goblin music are dumbasses. different music for different atmosphere, right?

i think your next project should be Dawn of Dead 08:sneaky:

peace from the old world.

kortick
19-Feb-2007, 04:58 PM
I would like to address what andy posted

it is indeed wrong to insult them personally
so I want to take this time
to publically say I am sorry if iI insulted anyone there

if they dont like remakes . fine
if they dont like heavy metal. fine
if they dont like the teaser. fine

all I truly want is for them to
see the film, then write wheter they liked
it or not and why.

I ( and some other people) here are
protective of reese and will defend him.
But I know he doesnt want people to
insult others because of him

So, lets wait for the movie
and hopefully everyone will like it
(impossible of course for everyone to like it, but
one can hope)

OK reese

keep working

coma
19-Feb-2007, 05:41 PM
I would like to address what andy posted

it is indeed wrong to insult them personally
so I want to take this time
to publically say I am sorry if iI insulted anyone there

if they dont like remakes . fine
if they dont like heavy metal. fine
if they dont like the teaser. fine

all I truly want is for them to
see the film, then write wheter they liked
it or not and why.

I ( and some other people) here are
protective of reese and will defend him.
But I know he doesnt want people to
insult others because of him

So, lets wait for the movie
and hopefully everyone will like it
(impossible of course for everyone to like it, but
one can hope)

OK reese

keep working
Yeah. Reese is cool.
Haters can eat the didick:)

Debbieangel
20-Feb-2007, 06:00 PM
Yess like Kor said lets watch the movie!!!! I cant wait to see it!!!:D
Good Luck Reese I know it is going to be good!!!

TwoGunBob
20-Feb-2007, 06:03 PM
EDIT - somethign i should post, look up hellsing on zombie nation, yes thats me there too, with like 25 posts, that forum sucks balls, its allways just twogunbob and that jhon ****ing titor "the fastest man alive" bitching at everyone like ****ing cesear.
in short screw that forum, i hate the damn place and havent been there for like a year at least, since it got hacked again anyway.

Thanks for the mention. I appreciate that.

DjfunkmasterG
10-Mar-2007, 12:05 PM
F**K Zombie-Nation. You think you got lambasted on there go read the Deadlands thread (they honestly made over 500 replies and it has 4000+ views) all for a film they say will suck ass.

They are just a bunch of lonely asswipes who have nothing better to do than bash other peoples work all while praising "Risen" which is being made by one of their own. Some of the stuff they bash i agree with 100%, but evenwhen i tried to defend your remake they just blew it off. of course I am not very popular over there :D , in fact i am down right loathed :lol:

Anyway, f**k'em don't listen to their bull**** and don't let it get to you. If you are happy with your film and you gave 100% who gives a sh!t what people think.

coma
10-Mar-2007, 07:58 PM
If you are happy with your film and you gave 100% who gives a sh!t what people think.
Word, bitch!:D

capncnut
10-Mar-2007, 10:17 PM
Just went over to ZN to check out the trailer for Risen. If it wasn't for the 5 or so pop ups that flashed on my screen, I might've actually been able to navigate my way to the actual forum where it's posted.

Danny
11-Mar-2007, 12:47 AM
yeah that forum gets hacked all the time, another reason why i stopped visiting very quickly.

TwoGunBob
12-Mar-2007, 06:44 PM
Every time I start to think you might be alright, Gary, you open your damned mouth and just spew all over the place trying to reopen old crap that is seriously in the past. This damned thread was dead as hell to you felt so wildly compelled to come back in to get some parting shot in.
No one at the ZN has ever bad mouthed this forum. Indeed, I think JT and myself (the only people that ever post apparently :rolleyes: ) shoot straight in our opines rather than circle jerk around each other with self-congratulatory backslapping. And no mention that the actual reviews of Deadlands themselves have been pretty even handed? I can rewrite my review to please you preset negative outlook, Gary, if it would make you happy.
As for Risen... Dave Talbot and the various people that worked on the film don't even post there much anymore. In fact, after all the shilling nonsense they started their own forum as I understand it which also bad mouths Zombie-Nation.net for the things they started.

Gawd damn, Gary, sometimes I just don't get you.

MinionZombie
12-Mar-2007, 07:35 PM
How about everyone shuts up on this issue, or I'm gonna close the thread, but it's preferable to just let things slide off on their own. :rockbrow:

Danny
12-Mar-2007, 11:46 PM
dude i say close it, everyones had a say positive or not, anything else would jsut end up with a flame war.

capncnut
13-Mar-2007, 12:05 AM
dude i say close it.
Yeah, it's probably for the best.

livingdeadboy
13-Mar-2007, 12:15 AM
Agreed, I shouldnt have started this thread in the first place

kortick
13-Mar-2007, 01:05 AM
dont sweat it reese

when people put things out on the net for
everyone to read
then they get the reaction it deserves

it has nothing to do with you
doing anything wrong

if they didnt want negative attention
they woudnt have put up negative posts

they always had the option to ignore you
and your film

im sure it would have had no major imapct
on thier lives to do that

Danny
13-Mar-2007, 01:20 AM
the same could be said about me not bitching about vampires vs zombies, but that aint gonna stop any time soon.:bored:

capncnut
13-Mar-2007, 01:27 AM
I feel a disturbance in the force, like something's gonna close soon... :rolleyes:

livingdeadboy
13-Mar-2007, 03:34 AM
This thread has been closed because it carried on for way too long and gotta a little out of hand in parts. Time to move on to bigger...and better things!:p ;)