PDA

View Full Version : Lucio Fulci and you

Zombieapocalypse
24-Mar-2006, 09:41 PM
Just curious on how many Fulci fans there are here at HPOTD?!

I am a HUGE Fulci fan...Curious on everyone elses' views on him and his work

:cool:

Adrenochrome
24-Mar-2006, 09:47 PM
Susperia ROCKS!!!!!!
I love Fulci!!!!!
http://static.flickr.com/6/75710917_bb48a2ffb7.jpg

axlish
24-Mar-2006, 09:50 PM
Sure you don't mean Argento Adreno?

Fulci did Zombie, From Beyond...

Zombieapocalypse
24-Mar-2006, 09:54 PM
Susperia was Dario Argento's work.

Fulci was ZOMBIE, The Beyond, House by the cemetary, etc.

Tullaryx
24-Mar-2006, 10:08 PM
I think Fulci deserves more love from all horror fans than what he's gotten. Fulci's work may only fall on the splatterhorror genre that was prevalent during the late 70's and early 80's but all of it were well done. Zombi and The Beyond I still consider some of the best horror of that era. One thing for sure, Fulci had a thing for Lovecraftian plot devices and pierced eyes.

Susperia was Dario Argento's work.

Fulci was ZOMBIE, From Beyond, House by the cemetary, etc.

Umm, Stuart Gordon may have something to say about From Beyond. :D

Adrenochrome
24-Mar-2006, 10:12 PM
Sure you don't mean Argento Adreno?

Fulci did Zombie, From Beyond...
oooops

Tullaryx
24-Mar-2006, 10:19 PM
oooops

Dude, Gordon's gonna sick Jeffrey Coombs on you.

Zombieapocalypse
24-Mar-2006, 10:21 PM
Umm, Stuart Gordon may have something to say about From Beyond. :D[/QUOTE]

ROFLMAO!

This is very true!

I blame my foolishness on AXLISH, :lol: Just kidding friend!

CORRECTION: THE BEYOND :lol: :lol: :lol:

KrasnyOktyabr
24-Mar-2006, 10:37 PM
Dude, Gordon's gonna sick Jeffrey Coombs on you.

I wouldn't wish Combs on anyone... :|

Anyhow, Fulci's stuff is pretty crazy. His works are certaintly not my favourite, but you can't hate the guy.

Zombieapocalypse
24-Mar-2006, 10:46 PM
Combs is an animal! :elol: He would certainly tear some shi** up

Tullaryx
24-Mar-2006, 10:52 PM
Combs is an animal! :elol: He would certainly tear some shi** up

He'll do that funky-ass s**t thing he did in From Beyond where a Teletubbie antenna comes out of the middle of his forehead then he sucks your brain out through your eye.

Zombieapocalypse
24-Mar-2006, 11:04 PM
He'll do that funky-ass s**t thing he did in From Beyond where a Teletubbie antenna comes out of the middle of his forehead then he sucks your brain out through your eye.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

axlish
24-Mar-2006, 11:41 PM
Yep, I meant The Beyond. From Beyond kicks ass too.

Deadman_Deluxe
25-Mar-2006, 12:20 AM
Someone is desperate to build up a post count for some inane reason ... no matter what the overall cost may be.

But yeah ... Suspiria is ok ... hahahaha!

axlish
25-Mar-2006, 12:51 AM
Back to the point, yes I like Fulci. Not all of his work mind you, but I dig a couple of his films.

Zombie is fun, and well shot. The soundtrack is cool too.

From Beyond is fun too. It kind of tripped me out back in the day when I rented it under the title of Seven Doors of Death. Eerie atmosphere and I like the blind girl.

City of the Living Dead is nuts. I like the movie overall but the end is just odd. If anyone wants to try and explain that one to me, I'm all ears.

Tri0xin
25-Mar-2006, 07:49 AM
Fulci's New York Ripper is the next-to-best slasher movie i've ever watched, second only to Bob Clarke's Black Christmas.

I never considered him a genre guy, eventhough most people do. Fulci transcended genre, I think. He did westerns, slasher, giallo, zombie movies, and even Italian soap operas.

I don't think he ever got the recognition he deserved, in life.

If you want to see the most bizarre spagetti western ever made, watch Fulci's Four of the Apocalypse. It's very strange, very strange.

CoronaZombie
25-Mar-2006, 02:58 PM
I voted for him being good. Thats exactly how I see him, good but not great. Actually thats kinda my little pet peeve about the horror genre ,which is my fav. I think Italian horror films are mainly good for their extreme gore (Fulci,Bava...etc.) but not much for the way of story. Take Deep Red for example. Argento gets so much praise for that film, but I found it completely slow a boring. Out of the Italian filmakers I like Fulci the best though, because he makes good zombie films. I adore the eye puncture scene in Zombie and the the man eating Tarantula scene in The Beyond.

Zombieapocalypse
25-Mar-2006, 03:28 PM
I never considered him a genre guy, eventhough most people do. Fulci transcended genre, I think. He did westerns, slasher, giallo, zombie movies, and even Italian soap operas.

If you want to see the most bizarre spagetti western ever made, watch Fulci's Four of the Apocalypse. It's very strange, very strange.[/QUOTE]

He did bend alot of Genre "Rules" and made some fantastic stuff. I think that is why I like his work so much. He was just so out there with his work.

I am among those who call him the "Godfather of gore" Myself.

I appreciate everyones feedback. Thanks again :)

Adrenochrome
25-Mar-2006, 03:32 PM
Someone is desperate to build up a post count for some inane reason ... no matter what the overall cost may be.

But yeah ... Suspiria is ok ... hahahaha!

I have no idea why I got so confused.
Or, maybe I just wanted to sneak that screen cap back in. LOL

axlish
25-Mar-2006, 03:43 PM
I have no idea why I got so confused.
Or, maybe I just wanted to sneak that screen cap back in. LOL

(Tom-a-to, tom-ah-to) = (Fulci, Argento) :lol:

erisi236
25-Mar-2006, 03:47 PM
I voted OKAY, haven't seen all his work so I guess I'm not 100%

CoronaZombie
25-Mar-2006, 03:48 PM

If you want to see the most bizarre spagetti western ever made, watch Fulci's Four of the Apocalypse. It's very strange, very strange.

He did bend alot of Genre "Rules" and made some fantastic stuff. I think that is why I like his work so much. He was just so out there with his work.

I am among those who call him the "Godfather of gore" Myself.

I appreciate everyones feedback. Thanks again :)

Thats the thing. I think spaghetti westerns are really horrible for the most part. Most Italians just don't know how to make a good western. I do ,however, feel that some decent ones exist. Mainly Eastwoods few. Also with the exception of New York Ripper (which was kinda dull) I didn't care for any of his giallo flicks either. Kinda like Deep Red they were all slow paced and boring. Nothing to really grab my attention, until of course the Ripper ran a razor through that chicks eye. I think Fulci mainly relyed on his excellent use of gore and death to propel himself into the horror limelight. His flicks that lack the gore are just plain weak. The reason any of his films made such an impact wasn't because people watched and said "Wow look at the excellent camera work and stroytelling". No they said "Holy ****! Did you just see that chick vomit up her intestines!!!!!!!!!"

Zombieapocalypse
25-Mar-2006, 03:54 PM
The reason any of his films made such an impact wasn't because people watched and said "Wow look at the excellent camera work and stroytelling". No they said "Holy ****! Did you just see that chick vomit up her intestines!!!!!!!!!"[/QUOTE]

Precisely! LOL I am in it for the gore aspect of his works for the most part. And just based on his constant use of the most vile, and the most revolting scenes I place him among the top.

CoronaZombie
25-Mar-2006, 04:00 PM
Precisely! LOL I am in it for the gore aspect of his works for the most part. And just based on his constant use of the most vile, and the most revolting scenes I place him among the top.

I'm with you on that one. It's just when you start going on about his other works that I start to disagree. He is definately the best for gore. The question we must ask ourselves is would his gory films been half of what they are without Gionetti de Rossi????? ;)

Tullaryx
25-Mar-2006, 07:25 PM
I would say that within the horror genre itself, Fulci would count as one of the very good to great ones. I think those who don't follow horror as much always seem to confuse him and Argento due to both directors' love for extreme violence and gore in their films. The difference that I can see between the two is more of a style difference. Argento's films have a tendency to get real confusing at times and he's deliberately made it to be such. Hell, Suspiria looks to be like an Alice in Wonderland on acid, LSD and mescaline. Argento's more like the Hitchcock of the two in that you can't fully trust what you're seeing on the screen. Something always seem abit off.

Fulci on the other hand is almost the horror genre's version of Sam Fuller. Fulci doesn't go too much for camera tricks. You don't see much slo-mo and weird angle shots. No psychedalic color schemes and lighting the way you'd see in Argento's films. Fulci just shoots the scene as realisticly as possible and in your face.

HLS
26-Mar-2006, 02:15 PM
I can take it or leave it