PDA

View Full Version : DVD Resurrections Review - Awesome

DjfunkmasterG
03-Mar-2007, 06:42 PM
http://www.dvdresurrections.com/MovieReview_Deadlands_TheRising.html

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

coma
03-Mar-2007, 06:54 PM
"For a no budget filmDeadlands: The Rising is one ****ing awesome zombie film. The acting wasn't cheesy at all, and zombies looked wicked"
Nice review. Doesnt get better than that. Thats what you really need to know about a low budget film:)

LouCipherr
03-Mar-2007, 07:03 PM
whoa.. :)

MinionZombie
03-Mar-2007, 09:11 PM
Noiiice! :thumbsup:

Danny
04-Mar-2007, 01:28 AM
yeah thats one thing a lot of my friends said when i showe dit to them "the acting wasnt too epic, but they could have gone the full on cheese route but hey didnt and thats awesome"

...or to qoute one guy his review of deadlands was "....uh...,it was rad".

though he's a stoner so make of that what you will, and in hindsight who says rad nowadays?

capncnut
04-Mar-2007, 06:57 AM
Yeah Deej, top post man. What more could you ask for in a review? :thumbsup:

jdog
04-Mar-2007, 07:00 AM
nice review. cant wait to see it myself.

coma
04-Mar-2007, 06:34 PM
though he's a stoner so make of that what you will, and in hindsight who says rad nowadays?
Me! beyotch!

capncnut
04-Mar-2007, 11:44 PM
Other than Coma, try Steve O for starters. :D

Danny
05-Mar-2007, 01:32 AM
i though he normally yelled "yeah dude, sweet!"?, which reminds me im gonna watch jackass number 2, i aint seen taht in a while, and since i got a maths exam at college in *checks watch* 7 hours, i could use a laugh and a decent break from revising.:dead:

DjfunkmasterG
06-Mar-2007, 11:31 AM
I am very proud of all the reviews, especially the ones that pick up on what I was trying to do. So I guess I did pull it off to an extent. :D

Danny
06-Mar-2007, 11:48 AM
what does your family think about the whole thing now its getting great reviews?

-geniune question but damn thats sounds like such a cliche' thing to say, and i friggin hate cliche's.

LouCipherr
06-Mar-2007, 01:31 PM
hellsing - i'm not sure about Dj's family, friends, and his side of the story, but I can tell you this: everyone in my family when we first started thought it was "cute" and "kinda cool" we were making a movie. I used to ask myself, "CUTE?! WTF!?" :lol: but I don't think they realized is the scope of the movie an what would come out of it, and how well Dj could pull a movie like this off with sucha minimal amount of money. I mean, c'mon, in the grand scheme of things, a full-length feature movie made on $15,000 US dollars is like lunch money for an elementary school kid! :lol: But he pulled it off!

As I forward all of my family and friends the links to these reviews (even the harsh one or two we've had - I'm not one to pussyfoot around the bad ones), explaining to them the movie was picked up by Tempe Entertainment for distribution, the magnitude of the presales and the responses we're getting from individuals who have seen it - they all admit they are shocked, and then their curiosity is piqued. :D That means more DVD sales, and vindication for Dj that, by golly-goddammit, he CAN make movies, and do a goddamn good job of it too! Especially with limited resources, as we had with Deadlands. If only you knew the struggle to keep that project going on the pennies he had left. It was close, but he pulled another goddamn rabbit outta his hat! :lol: (inside joke)

If only everyone knew how many times we've heard this scenario:

Person: "Wow, that was pretty good - how much did that movie cost you?"

Dj: "$15,000, including equipment, so techinically, approximately $9000 since most movies don't include equipment in their budget"

Person: "WHAT?! There is NO WAY you made that for $15,000!!!!"

That has been said over and over and over again - Dj can attest to that. When they find out the budget of the film, their only question (after wiping the look of disbelief off their face) is "HOW?!?!?!"

I just hope that DL:TR is the springboard for Dj to create more and more films. People, if you only knew the workings in this mans brain, the ideas that are pouring out of it for DL2 and future projects.... it's just fu*king staggering. If anyone has thought that DL:TR was a decent film, you haven't seen jack sh*t... yet. Wait 'till this man gets a real f*cking budget to make a movie!! :elol: C'mon, Dj! Play the megamillions! win that bitch! :lol:

I will just say this (and Dj, I hope I'm not overstepping my boundries - if I am, please feel free to edit this out): I've read the 2nd draft of the script for Deadlands 2 - if this goes anything like the script, this will be THE movie that puts Dj on the fu*king directors map, period. It's miles above and beyond part 1, and I will leave it at that - i've said too much already. :D

LC

Danny
06-Mar-2007, 02:08 PM
*dj sneaks up on lou with some chloraphorme on a rag and drags him into the shadows*.....:shifty:

DjfunkmasterG
06-Mar-2007, 02:47 PM
While Lou's family is a little more supportive I come from a very pessimistic family, in fact I am the only optimist. Anyway, my father and mother felt I was just wasting money. Although my mom has come around a bit more recently once she watched the finish product, she still brings it up when I complain about money woes.

My dad, is never one to really say, good job, WTG, to him I could have spent that money to buy my house two years ago instead of making a movie. I am sure he has told people his son made a film, but he wasn't behind it 100%.

The only people who really supported it was HPotD members, and the Cast & Crew. Lou and his family supported it big time, but my family more or less just looked at it as money wasted. Does it bother me? A little yes, but then again I did it for me, not for them.

LouCipherr
06-Mar-2007, 05:33 PM
*gets dizzy from the chloroform, passes out, and wakes up in an open field in the middle of nowhere - penniless and confused*

WTF just happened to me?!?! DJ!!!!!! :lol: :D

Anway, Dj, don't feel bad - if my dad was still alive, he would've told me it was the BIGGEST waste of time and money on the planet, period. Fathers seem to be a bit more harsh on their kids than moms, at least in my experience. Of course, my dad was a real hard-ass and a drunk to boot, but that doesn't change the fact he'd still think it was a ludacris idea.

I can hear him now.. "You're doing WHAT? What a monumental waste of time and money! That's just a stupid idea - you really think people will buy this?" :mad: If only he was alive and I could say "well Dad, go take a look at Tempe's website, and you tell me - was it a mistake? How so? A project I was involved in is actually for sale and is available to more people than anything you've ever done in your life" :finger: :D

I think it boils down to the fact that most parents don't understand why we want to get involved in these things. Take my guitar playing for example. Dude, when I was learning how to play guitar - and even after I had been playing for over a decade and getting damn decent at it, my dad would hear me practicing in the basement and say "Goddammit! WTF is all that goddamn noise????" - to him, my guitar playing was noise and it was a waste of time for me to even bother learning how to play it.

Now, 27+ years later, I was in a touring band for 9 years, we wrote and recorded 2 albums worth of original material (and we even wrote a lot more than what ever got recorded), I've bought equipment to record on my computer for Deadlands, we plan (and have started already actually) to write all the music for DL2, we wrote some of the music for IAZM2 - so it's all good.

Parents don't see the "big picture" of what something like this can bring you. They just want you to "stay in school, go to college, and join the rat race with the rest of us" - well, f*ck that. Learning how to create your own film from scratch is something that allows your type of creativity to flow and come out of you. With me it's music. EVERYONE needs some kind of outlet for their creativity - it just so happens yours costs a bit more money than most. :D the real question is so flippin' what? If you can make back the money you put into it, who can bitch? Well, I know, parents can and will, but they have no leg to stand on, y'know what I mean?

Hey, screw it, if this works out and you 'make it' anywhere in this business, y'know what you can do? Tell all those people who dogged you about it "YOU WERE F*CKING WRONG!"

...and if you don't make it in the business? So F'in what? You did something that you have wanted to do since you were a kid - and something that most people could never do in their lifetime (or at least would never attempt, even if they knew how to). You wanted to make a movie - you set out with a few friends and made that sh*t happen. What more could anyone want?

Sometimes, you just need to tell everyone to STFU and follow your creative muse. You'd be amazed at how many people do this and end up making a good, great, and sometimes over-the-top living at it.

I see this is as a very positive thing. Consider this:

1) you made a movie without any prior knowledge as to how it's done. Sure, you've been on movie sets before, but 'watching' it be done and actually doing it - two different animals all together, as anyone in the filmmaking arena will tell you.

2) your life long dream was to make you own movie. Now you can say "been there, done that, bought the t-shirt! :finger:" :D

3) You have made a movie that not only allowed you to get your 'creative rocks' off , but also a movie that apparently many have taken notice of. Sure, it's not perfect, it's not the "best" per se, but the reviews on your movie are better than most first-time-low-budget independent films on the market. That should make you DAMN proud, and it's something the parental units should take note of. You didn't make a "sh*tty movie" you made a damn decent movie on $15,000 (well a bit less than that, but lets not split hairs.. lol). If they can't see that, they will NEVER understand, and from my experience, they usually don't. Hell, when I played in my band in clubs, I'd play on stage for 3 hours and walk home with $250 cash in my pocket - and my dad STILL thought it was a waste of time! :lol: That's more per-hour than he made being an electrical engineer!!! :lol:

4) Now that you know what you're doing, the next project you take on will be 1000 times better, 1000 times more refined, and will kick 1000 times more ass.

I'd say you accomplished one hell of a lot - sometimes, parents can be blind to that, regardless if you even pulled in six figures for DL:TR. They'd probably still say "whatever, that was a waste" - ya just can't win. It's annoying, but you can't ignore your "calling"

I mean, I love my parents (even my dad when he was around, albeit it he was a jerk to me most of the time because he was drunk 90% of the day) but sometimes, I think, telling them to piss off and following your heart is the way to go. If you don't, you'll never develop as an 'individual' - which is what we all want to be. A unique entitiy in this screwy friggin' thing caled life. :)

I think in your case, it paid off very well. Now, in the immortal words of Jay, you just need to "get your motherf*ckin' movie check" - then you can show that to your parental units and say "bite me" :lol:

LC

PS - and Dj, you know as well as anyone, I'm the BIGGEST pessimistic person on the PLANET. Even *I* wasn't sure about what this movie would do - and I will happily admit that I was wrong on all fronts and that it has done one hell of a lot better than I think any of us could have asked for, even if it all came to a halt right now. ;)

Parents. Who needs 'em?

Oh yeah, we do! Without 'em we wouldn't exist! :lol: :D :p

(am I the worst offender of going off topic or what?! :lol:)

Danny
06-Mar-2007, 05:51 PM
While Lou's family is a little more supportive I come from a very pessimistic family, in fact I am the only optimist. Anyway, my father and mother felt I was just wasting money. Although my mom has come around a bit more recently once she watched the finish product, she still brings it up when I complain about money woes.

My dad, is never one to really say, good job, WTG, to him I could have spent that money to buy my house two years ago instead of making a movie. I am sure he has told people his son made a film, but he wasn't behind it 100%.

The only people who really supported it was HPotD members, and the Cast & Crew. Lou and his family supported it big time, but my family more or less just looked at it as money wasted. Does it bother me? A little yes, but then again I did it for me, not for them.

dude, when i told my mom i was going afte rmy dream of being a film maker she literally pointed at me, laughed and said "you?, your livin' ina bloody fairyworld arent ya?":bored:

DjfunkmasterG
06-Mar-2007, 06:52 PM
dude, when i told my mom i was going after my dream of being a film maker, she literally pointed at me, laughed, and said "you?, your livin' in a bloody fairyworld arent ya?":bored:

I don't mean to :lol: , but thats pretty funny. However, i feel your pain. I was bummed they weren't behind me, but screw it. I did it and I am proud of it.

coma
06-Mar-2007, 07:09 PM
My Dad says "If its worth doing, its worth doing right the first time.". Real asshole advice that pretty much is trying to insure you never do anything, Ecspecailly when its followed up with a punch to the head. I am not even kidding.
My Mom is the opposite. She told me
"There are no guarantees in life. You could go to school to be a wall street guy and still end up broke. Just do what makes you happy."
As a kid I made Super 8 films with my brothers, drew comics, made fake cassette radio plays, painted etc on and on. She always smiled and said "OK, if you want to".
My Dad wasnt around and it was a blessing cause I wouldnt ever have done sh!t if he was, like my step brother, who is in and out of jail.
To this day if I say I drew a 100 page comic or made a no budget movie, recoreded songs, making $$ off it never comes up. If I do Great, If not, thats great too.
My Mom is wicked cool.

Its like the saying "ive been rich and Ive been Poor. Rich is better". I know acceptance and brutal oppression. Positive reinforcement is obviously better.

If I saw one of my friends talk to their kids like that I would def call them out for being an asshole. And have.GRRRRR. Not calling anybosys parents an asshole, but its just not cricket :)

capncnut
06-Mar-2007, 10:21 PM
dude, when i told my mom i was going afte rmy dream of being a film maker she literally pointed at me, laughed and said "you?, your livin' ina bloody fairyworld arent ya?":bored:
And when you get famous and the BBC interview your mum, she'll be like "I always knew my Danny had what it takes." :D

Danny
07-Mar-2007, 12:01 AM
As a kid I made Super 8 films with my brothers, drew comics, made fake cassette radio plays, painted etc on and on. She always smiled and said "OK, if you want to".

funny story, when i was a kid after i stopped hanging out with the chavs that now work as janitors after dropping outta college i did that kinda **** with 3 guys, two are now a same sex couple adn attend the same dance school in london:lol:

i guess the warnings signs for there parents were there,me and the girl we hung out with wrote storys about blood and guts, they had a fasccination with arnies rendition of conan.:sneaky:

coma
07-Mar-2007, 05:08 AM
funny story, when i was a kid after i stopped hanging out with the chavs that now work as janitors after dropping outta college i did that kinda **** with 3 guys, two are now a same sex couple adn attend the same dance school in london:lol:

i guess the warnings signs for there parents were there,me and the girl we hung out with wrote storys about blood and guts, they had a fasccination with arnies rendition of conan.:sneaky:
dance school! hah
I hope you expressed your bond with her by twinkiling the nodule. Any girl into blood and guts gotta be hot in the sack.:D

I loooooove nerdy girls.:kiss:

Having 2 bros into the same stuff was really cool. we wroked, and still do, well together. I was much younger and they actually listened to me. Though much sucked as a boy, I did have a lot of fun sometimes.
If I had a transfer of My 1981 Zombie 8mm epic I would def post it here. One day I hope.

DjfunkmasterG
07-Mar-2007, 10:20 AM
I think we can all agree we wish our parents were more supportive, but even if they don't support us 100% we at least know they cared enough to talk us out of it.:D

Danny
07-Mar-2007, 11:49 AM
the best my moms said is "sooo.....hows the little camera thing going?", and telling my aunt id videotape her wedding for free.:rolleyes:

LouCipherr
07-Mar-2007, 12:31 PM
the best my moms said is "sooo.....hows the little camera thing going?", and telling my aunt id videotape her wedding for free.:rolleyes:

That's when you point at her, laugh, and say "you're living in a fairytale world there, mom!" :lol:

I have tried to be more supportive of my sons activities than my parents ever were. He's been playing clarinet for a few months - and although at times it sounds like he's killing a kitten or two in his bedroom when he practices, I'm all too familiar with the hours and days and months it takes to get decent at an instrument, so i'm very patient with him and encouraging. I wish my parents would've done the same. Actually, my mom was always behind me 100% with the guitar thing, but dad? "WHAT'S THAT NOISE?!" :lol:

LC

Danny
07-Mar-2007, 12:34 PM
thats the thing though isnt it?, in really more "normal" familys you get the kids with the long hair, heavy metal music blasting otu there room and whatnot, but in a really wierd family the kid ends up more normal, guess its like a continuos cycle, but if you raise a kid to live like you did, does that mean he or she will instincitvely rebel at there early teens and go another way?, not saying thats a bad thing just an interesting question.

MinionZombie
07-Mar-2007, 12:52 PM
That kinda makes sense, I'm the weird one of the family pretty much.

My parents both did bio-chemistry or something fancy like that at Uni, my Dad even went and got a PhD in it. My mum worked as a science lecturer at a university, my Dad worked as a manager, my sister went and got a business degree and now works in HR for a major bank ... and me? ... I went and got a degree in film & television studies and I'm trying to bust into the industry, nobody in my family has ever done anything remotely like that, hehe.

I've got a laid back kinda family, we're incredibly normal and middle class, but I'm the one who always wears black (not cos I'm a goth, I just like wearing black/dark clothes), the one who's mad for horror movies and zombies, who drew zombies tearing out people's throats in his spare time, wrote stories about zombies and vampires doing the same things and so forth, hehe.

There's weirder people than me, without a doubt, but in comparison to my family on both sides, I'm the black sheep, doing the interesting stuff that makes people go "oooh, ahhhh, oh really?" and so on ... I look forward to a school reunion at some point so I can blow the boring office folk out of the water, haha!

I mean honestly, who would you rather talk to about their work - someone who sits in an office typing numbers, or someone who works to their own schedule, any time of day, any day of the week, never does the same job twice (at least so-to-speak) and gets to do something creative and intriguing? :D

I'll shut up now...

DjfunkmasterG
07-Mar-2007, 12:56 PM

I would say "whats this free **** you're talking about?" Ain't nothing free in this world.

MinionZombie
07-Mar-2007, 01:01 PM
I did a wedding last year for £60, was a kinda 'friend of a friend' type deal, and I was better off with £60 than £0, so I did it ... was a long damn day for £60 though...and in a world where wedding videos can go for over a freakin' GRAND, then you kinda feel a bit used...hmmm...at least I have experience of wedding videography now though ... I'll jack my price up next time, hehe.

I mean, if you can afford to have a wedding, then you can at least afford a nominal fee - especially if you're gonna have to edit the bastard as well! :eek: Magic doesn't grow on trees ya know, it's crafted! Demand a nominal fee! :D

DjfunkmasterG
08-Mar-2007, 02:07 PM
I have never video'd a wedding before. I have done the Asian New Year banquet so I have some formal video experience in that type of environment. Although one could argue... you made a f*cking movie, you have experience. anyway, my friend and co-worker Lena is getting married in Jun and I offered to Video her wedding as a wedding gift, Plus I get wedding experience in case my film career comes to a crashing halt and I have to become a videographer for life.

I am about to buy the new Canon XH-A1 so I have a new camera. Plus the new cam will be HD and it has a 72MM lens housing so all the extra filters and stuff I have from the DVX100 will fit easily onto the canon.