PDA

View Full Version : Just re-watched DAWN 2004 on the big screen.

DjfunkmasterG
22-Mar-2007, 03:43 PM
Last Saturday I covered for a friend who is a projectionist at the theater in Hagerstown, MD. Since 2 of the 10 theaters are digital it is easy to watch whatever you want. Every saturday they do Horror at the Hager and this past saturday they did Leprechaun 1 & 2. Since I didn't want any pay they said I could use the theater to watch whatever movie I wanted. I brought Night 90, DAWN 2004 and Die Hard.

Once the Horror show was over, I popped in the DVD for DAWN, set the projector to 2.35:1 which autosizes the screen and viola movie time. I invited the patrons who came for the 2 horror movies to stay, so 15 of us watched DAWN 2004. It turns out 3 of the people who were watching had never seen it, they were against it and hated the idea of it, however, once it was over they were singing it praises, and I only showed the R-rated Version, not the UNRATED.

Seems weird re-watching that film on the big screen. I will say this, that film was made for the BIG SCREEN, it doesn't have the same impact on a 50" lCD TV or a small TV. It was definitely made to be a theatrical film... which brings up another issue... A lot of EPIC films are starting to be made just for theaters, and it sucks because if you feel in love with it at the theater, you go out buy the DVD get it home and then on the smaller screen it doesn't have the same impact... (See King Kong remake) I hope that changes soon.

bassman
22-Mar-2007, 04:06 PM
:lol:

Did you just call Dawn04 an epic? That's funny.:p

It was a bit more of an aciton ride in the theater, though. It did lose even more appeal to me on home screens. I would have loved to have watched "Die Hard" on the big screen. I only got to see "With a Vengence" in theaters. Looking forward to "Live Free....".

Eyebiter
22-Mar-2007, 04:56 PM
Many films are better when seen on the big screen. While many people disparage the expense and hassle of going to the movies, you can't beat the experience for the degree of immersion into the film.

Pan's Labyrinth is a good example.

Many heavy F/X movies suffer on DVD or TV without the huge movie screen and surround sound speakers. While it's fun to watch the Empire Strikes Back on DVD, it pales compared to watching the film in the theater.

Dawn 04 has it's merits. Great soundtrack, good action, introduces track star zombies. Has some memorable scenes - the 911 call, the elevator, underground parking garage, the roof top. If you get the opportunity to watch it on the big screen, even better.

DjfunkmasterG
22-Mar-2007, 06:20 PM
I would love to re-watch the EMPIRE Strikes Back in a theater again, but only the original film, not the redux version. However, the originals on DVD are only 4:3 widescreen 2.35:1 so they won't project properly. :(

capncnut
23-Mar-2007, 12:59 PM
Did you just call Dawn04 an epic? That's funny:p
Yeah, I agree but the only way Yawn 04 survives with any credibility is by viewing it at the theater. Some of the camerawork comes alive, notably the car scene at the beginning and the film looks 'epic' as opposed to just 's**t' when you view it on DVD. One thing I will say in Yawn's defense is that not one person left the theater until the credits had finished rolling.

DjfunkmasterG
24-Mar-2007, 08:07 PM
I was down at the local video store this morning to pick up some DVD's for when I am all gimped out next week from surgery. I was talking to the manager who is a friend and just out of curiosiy I wanted to know if Dawn 2004 is still rented, and to my shock and surprise it still does well being rented on average of 5 times per month. Not bad for a 3 year old DVD, I figured it never was rented that much.

Mutineer
25-Mar-2007, 09:07 PM
Dawn 04 is one of the best Zombie films ever; end of discussion.

All films are better on the big screen.

coma
25-Mar-2007, 11:47 PM
Dawn 04 is one of the best Zombie films ever; end of discussion.
No, it's not and No it ain't:):p

All films are better on the big screen.
Yupetty yup:)
I love the movies but only if all the sh*tty diaper babys stay home.

DjfunkmasterG
25-Mar-2007, 11:56 PM
I have to agree that it is ONE of the BEST, and IMHO the best Zombie films ever made are:

Orig - Dawn
Shaun of the Dead
Night of the Living Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Dawn 2004

Tricky
29-Mar-2007, 07:54 AM
Thats why i sing its praises,i went to see it in the cinema on its first release and thought it was great!the booming sounds effects,quality special effects,"up to date" looking zombies and plenty of action.It all came alive on the big screen and i was almost cheering it,as was everyone else in the cinema.I love the romero films,cant stress that enough,but dawn 04,as a stand alone film,was good in my opinion :) especially the opening with johnny cash

EvilNed
29-Mar-2007, 10:13 AM
Personally, I'm against everything that's bland and unoriginal (can be nice if well crafted, however). And except for the already mentioned track star runners, I can't really see anything well crafted or original in Dawn.

Brubaker
06-Apr-2007, 03:38 AM
Personally, I'm against everything that's bland and unoriginal (can be nice if well crafted, however). And except for the already mentioned track star runners, I can't really see anything well crafted or original in Dawn.

Aside from the movie using heavy metal music like Disturbed, which is what you'd expect in a 2004 horror/action movie, the soundtrack was fairly good. Maybe someone didn't like Richard Cheese or thought using a Johnny Cash song was predictable but the elevator music led to a half-decent piece of dialogue.

Griff
06-Apr-2007, 06:58 AM
Since I didn't want any pay they said I could use the theater to watch whatever movie I wanted.

Oh god what a missed opportunity. I can only wonder why you'd choose to watch the remake rather than the original. DAWN '04 played cinemas just a few years back whereas the one and only DAWN had its day almost 30 years ago. Unless you've been lucky enough to catch it on the big screen in recent years, surely that would've been the experience worth recreating.

fartpants
14-Apr-2007, 03:35 PM
i know this wont be a popular thing to say but here goes... I LIKED DAWN 04 there i said it out loud:D :D

DjfunkmasterG
06-Jun-2007, 11:05 AM
Oh god what a missed opportunity. I can only wonder why you'd choose to watch the remake rather than the original. DAWN '04 played cinemas just a few years back whereas the one and only DAWN had its day almost 30 years ago. Unless you've been lucky enough to catch it on the big screen in recent years, surely that would've been the experience worth recreating.

Funny you say that. On April 28th the theater let me pick two films to play back to back for their Horror night. So I pitted the original Dawn against the remake. We had a nice turn out. :D

Danny
06-Jun-2007, 12:11 PM
all films are better in the cinema, when you try making em yourself, albiet short crappy ones in my case you really appreciate the whole experience more, i know for damn sure pirates 3 wouldnt have been nearly as fun if i watched it on my own, the big screen, the dakrness, the atmosphre ,hell even the coughs and noise of popcorn grazers (:mad: ) make it more enjoyable, as for what griff said, thats why im dragging my freinds ass down to the foree fest, hes never seen dawn so hes gonna see it first on the big screen, hes says hes not expecting much, damn is eh gonna be surprised.:D

oh dj if you get the chance again i recommend a doubel bill of the texas cahinsaw teamed up with the wickerman both eriee and wierd but the vibes are so different i think theyll fit together in a double feature quite well.

darth los
07-Jun-2007, 02:15 AM
However, imo, if you have a big screen plasma and a kick ass surround sound why would you want to go to the movies and deal with disrespectful kids, crying babies and people talking on their cell phones? :confused: