PDA

View Full Version : Day of the Dead : Special Edition 2 Disc DVD released today (27th Mar)

Deadman_Deluxe
28-Mar-2006, 12:06 AM
That's according to this week's copy of NUTS anyways ... nice cover art, though notably features the soon to to be synonomous and stereotypical "black hands clawing at white space" image which will no doubt soon eclipse the "hand stretching out from beneath a gravestone" image.

http://images.play.com/covers/865744m.jpg

# Exclusive audio commentary from Special FX team Greg Nicotero, Howard Berger, Everett Burrell and Mike Deak
# 'The Many Days Of The Dead' documentary (38 mins)
# 'Day Of The Dead: Behind The Scenes' featurette (20 mins)
# Filmographies for George A. Romero and Tom Savini
# Photo galleries
# Original theatrical trailers for Night Of The Living Dead, Dawn Of The Dead and Day Of The Dead

Arcades057
28-Mar-2006, 12:11 AM
Released in the UK, you mean? or is this another 2-disc SE version of Day? I already have that same thing and have had it for quite some time. Very worth picking up if any of you don't have it.

Svengoolie
28-Mar-2006, 12:18 AM
Actually, that cover looks an awful lot like just a retread of the main menu screen for the Dawn 04 dvd....what with the hands 'n stuff...but in a different color.

Looks like GAR pimp squad is just copying off the firm of Snyder and Gunn!:eek:

Arcades057
28-Mar-2006, 12:20 AM
Damn you're right! Now that you mention it it looks JUST like that. I just watched Dawn '04 today and remember that scene explicitly; it was on the TV for like 30 minutes while I talked to my GF.

Svengoolie
28-Mar-2006, 12:25 AM
This was from the original ad...

http://www.dawnofthedeadmovie.net/downloads/desktop_4_1024.jpg

Looks like ol' moss back George is just riding on Zack's coattails, now!:D

Arcades057
28-Mar-2006, 12:25 AM
Meh, beat me to it.

Same pic.

glazedoverdead
28-Mar-2006, 12:27 AM
Just wondering...what's with the semi-naked soldier avatar?:moon:

Andy
28-Mar-2006, 12:28 AM
http://www.homepageofthedead.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=514

:rolleyes:

Deadman_Deluxe
28-Mar-2006, 12:34 AM
Well i thought it was pretty obvious which movie the artwork looked like it was "inspired by" ... but thanks for pointing it out in graphic detail AND words :D

But i think GAR is more than entitled to "borrow" a single image considering snyder "borrowed" GAR's entire movie, if only by title.

Svengoolie
28-Mar-2006, 12:37 AM
But i think GAR is more than entitled to "borrow" a single image considering snyder "borrowed" GAR's entire movie, if only by title.

Maybe so...but why should GAR have to? :rolleyes:

Arcades057
28-Mar-2006, 12:40 AM
Has Bub and lots of zombies. Much better than a couple of shadowy hands behind some glass in my opinion.

glazedoverdead
28-Mar-2006, 12:44 AM
Well i thought it was pretty obvious which movie the artwork looked like it was "inspired by" ... but thanks for pointing it out in graphic detail AND words :D

I'm always there for you when you need someone to give you grief!
P.S. Cradle of Filth kicks arse!:elol:

Deadman_Deluxe
28-Mar-2006, 01:03 AM

Well i dont think he does. In all likelyhood GAR probably had nothing to do with the choice of cover art at all. I imagine it was down to some young apprentice goon in the art department of wankor bay or something ... who knows.

I like the imagery myself, but it is a pretty cheap set up (three to four people and a glass window = $0.00) and has already been used in a LOT of advertising for various movies lately when it SHOULD have been left with the people who do NOT have the multi million dollar budget in favour of something a bit more striking or original perhaps?

Svengoolie
28-Mar-2006, 01:07 AM
I like the imagery myself, but it is a pretty cheap set up (three to four people and a glass window = $0.00) and has already been used in a LOT of advertising for various movies lately when it SHOULD have been left with the people who do NOT have the multi million dollar budget in favour of something a bit more striking or original perhaps?

Nah.

And none of that changes the fact that it's still nothing more than a knock-off of something already used for the remake.

Having a million and one reasons for why the ad was ripped off doesn't change the fact that the ad was ripped off.

But, that's life....;)

BlueRoseRomeo
28-Mar-2006, 01:19 AM
Not to spoil anyones fun here but what is it with the dvd re-releases? I know they ar jnust trying to make money and all but why does it seem they keep re-releasing DVD's with more and more stuff on them? Its like This month the release the regular version...2 months later its the ultra version...2 months later its the super duper delux version...ARG! Why not just sell the extra stuff on its on DVD so people that have the movie and don't want to own 3-4 copies of it can get the stuff.

Second...what the difference of this one from the 2 disk version I have now I wonder? Mine is the one with Bub's face on the front flap that velcrows down.

Dawg
28-Mar-2006, 02:44 AM
I mean, maybe not you in general, but why does everyone keep buying the re-re-re-releases and they won't keep doing this.

It is obvious that they are making money hand over fist from people who just has to have every new copy that comes out, and why?

It pi$$e$ me off as well that they release a movie on dvd with a few extras, then two months later they release a director's cut, then six months later they release an extended special edition, and a year later they release an anniversity version, but it happens because we are all tools.

Look at Warner Bros. They release two versions on the same day now, a one disc really no extras for like normal retail price and a two-disc special edition for twice as much and act like they are doing you a favor. Baloney.

:dead: Dawg :skull:

BlueRoseRomeo
28-Mar-2006, 03:09 AM
I agree! I don't go back and buy the next version when they come out cause I would rather not spend $20-30 for the re-release and buy another movie that I don't have. Heck I have DVD's I haven't watched the extra's on yet.

I am not saying anyone who would buy the re-release is wrong just I don't understand why they keep re-releasing movies.

DjfunkmasterG
28-Mar-2006, 10:56 AM
Why gripe about the cover... I think it kicks major ass. I like it better than the US 2 disc set which has Bub on it and is yellow. I think the UK edition is much better.

Deadman_Deluxe
28-Mar-2006, 11:39 AM
Just wondering...what's with the semi-naked soldier avatar?:moon:

If you want full frontal soldier images ... try another website :lol:

bassman
28-Mar-2006, 12:03 PM
Second...what the difference of this one from the 2 disk version I have now I wonder? Mine is the one with Bub's face on the front flap that velcrows down.

I'm pretty sure this is the Region 2 Special Edition. The one you're talking about is Region 1.

I noticed this one has a different commentary than the other. I would like to hear this....

MinionZombie
28-Mar-2006, 01:34 PM
Yeh right, because hands clawing at a piece of glass against a white background has never been done before...:p

Harold W Brown
28-Mar-2006, 08:13 PM

So you "could care less about the man", except when you want to (falsely) give him credit for marketing plagiarism....:rolleyes:

Not to spoil anyones fun here but what is it with the dvd re-releases? I know they ar jnust trying to make money and all but why does it seem they keep re-releasing DVD's with more and more stuff on them? Its like This month the release the regular version...2 months later its the ultra version...2 months later its the super duper delux version...ARG! Why not just sell the extra stuff on its on DVD so people that have the movie and don't want to own 3-4 copies of it can get the stuff.

From what I can tell, it's got an fx commentary the other one doesn't. I'll pass.

Svengoolie
28-Mar-2006, 08:48 PM
So you "could care less about the man", except when you want to (falsely) give him credit for marketing plagiarism....

What does one have to do with the other?

I have no feelings whatsoever for GAR, personally...but anyone with a pair of eyes can see what probably inspired the new Day cover.

glazedoverdead
29-Mar-2006, 01:23 AM
If you want full frontal soldier images ... try another website :lol:

lol...funny guy...

You know...your new avatar makes me want to give you a new screen name too. Maybe I should start calling you SGT. Johnson Little....or even better, CPL. Willie Limpskins, the soldier who couldn't stand at attention!!

Roger that!?:moon:

Protuberance
30-Mar-2006, 03:25 AM
Looks like ol' moss back George is just riding on Zack's coattails, now!:D

George Romero probably had nothing to do with the cover atrwork for this DVD. Blame the graphic designer for the unoriginality.

Tullaryx
30-Mar-2006, 02:52 PM
most directors don't have a say in how the one-sheet posters turn out. They're usually too busy doing other more important things to finish the film than think of how the poster should look. Well, unless you're Kubrick, Spielberg and Scorcese who're notorious for wanting to have a say in every aspect of their film.

Danny
30-Mar-2006, 03:01 PM
erm waht does that have that the trilogy of the dead box set doesnt?.

terrywastecake
01-Apr-2006, 07:08 PM
uk spec edition release up at dvd compare here......

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=677

review of uk releases here..

http://www.therewindforums.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15749

they say a draw, but the extras on the ab release look superior to me. no mention if the soundtrack has been overdubbed (as the ab release).

anyone know if the soundtrack is correct??

which should i buy????????????????????????

MinionZombie
01-Apr-2006, 07:53 PM
Divimax I say - cos I own it. The sound and picture is great, and the extras are great too. Although you're probably not going to lose out much with the R2 release ... if only both discs had both commentaries...

terrywastecake
01-Apr-2006, 08:00 PM
agree. surely theres more than enough room for all the commentaries and all the extras on this release??

could have been a great little package but seems to fall just short of the mark.

still interested if the soundtrack is the original as this could sway the decision.

MinionZombie
01-Apr-2006, 08:06 PM
Well, the Divimax version definately has the soundtrack etc that the film always had (I hate it when they put in new music or change sound effects, ugh). You definately can't go wrong with the Divimax, but to me the R2 is unknown territory, so...

terrywastecake
01-Apr-2006, 08:11 PM
sorry. i meant the dialogue. doesn't the ab release have the occasional scene with looped dialogue which is different from the original theatrical version, as stated by dvd compare in their... errr... comparison.

Creepshow
01-Apr-2006, 08:21 PM
Lots of John's dialogue has been overdubbed by someone who sounds NOTHING LIKE Terry Alexander.

Deadverse
01-Apr-2006, 08:38 PM
Man, I am sick and tired of seeing all these re-releases. At the forums on the website I work at, everyone was complaining about AvP's re-release. After AvP came out on DVD, less than a year later AvP: Unrated Edition came out. I guess I am lucky that I never bought the original AvP DVD and instead waited for AvP: Unrated Edition. I feel sorry for all the people who were tricked into buying the original DVD version and lucked out on several behind-the-scenes footage and interviews. Bah, studios are getting real greedy now... :mad:

Deadman_Deluxe
01-Apr-2006, 09:54 PM
I feel sorry for all the people who were tricked into buying the original DVD version and lucked out on several behind-the-scenes footage and interviews.

Tricked you say? Say what?

Deadverse
02-Apr-2006, 12:38 AM
Tricked you say? Say what?
No, it was just that our website had prior knowledge about the release of AvP: Unrated Edition. We found out that it was in production around the time that AvP was first released on DVD. The problem was that our source could not verify if this information was accurate or not and therefore it was labelled as a 'rumour'. A few others and myself believed the rumour and we were lucky enough that it did in fact come true so we were able to obtain the two-disc version of AvP for the same price as the one-disc version. We had to wait almost a year for the DVD but we did not need AvP that bad. I never really liked the movie and I bought AvP: Unrated Edition only for the behind-the-scenes stuff and interviews. ;)

Andy
11-Apr-2006, 11:09 AM
i got the 2 disk day DVD today and i have to admit im pretty pleased with it. to say i only payed £12.99 for it, im happy.

possibly my only gripe would be that it has a running time of 97 minutes (close to 5 minutes shorter than the uncut version).

terrywastecake
12-Apr-2006, 08:33 PM
possibly my only gripe would be that it has a running time of 97 minutes (close to 5 minutes shorter than the uncut version).

apparently it's uncut. the 97 mins is possibly due to the 5 minute pal speed up (101 less 5% is 96 for those who failed maths :o ) so you should be ok!

and for anyone concerned about the dialogue here's the answer............

http://www.istherefood.com/2006/04/09/day-of-the-dead-arrow-uk-release/

looks like the AB release for me. better extras and a commentary by gar and ts. and only £8.99 delivered to the uk....... nice.

bassman
12-Apr-2006, 08:52 PM
looks like the AB release for me. better extras and a commentary by gar and ts. and only £8.99 delivered to the uk....... nice.

I haven't seen the new DVD that you guys are talking about but I can say that Anchor Bay gets a big round of applause from me for their version. I was amazed at how great that DVD was...damn near flawless. Same with the "Dawn Ultimate Edition". Anchor Bay rocks, man...

Andy
13-Apr-2006, 03:57 AM
the second disk of this one is quite entertaining actually... its mainly got 2 documentries on it, many days of the dead, which is a new one made for the DVD and features interviews with george romero and some cast and crew (including howard sherman and joe pilato!) and day of the dead - behind the scenes, which is a old documentry actually filmed on the set while it was being made.

plus now, i have 3 different DVD's of the original dawn, 3 of night and 2 of day :cool:

terrywastecake
13-Apr-2006, 07:41 AM
Looks like this is the same docu as the ab release. heres the full list of whats on the ab disks........

Day of The Dead: Feature Presentation (Disc One)

Widescreen Presentation enhanced for 16x9 TVs

Audio Commentary with Writer/Director George A. Romero, Special Make-up Effects Artist Tom Savini, Production Designer Cletus Anderson, and Actress Lori Cardille

Audio Commentary with Filmmaker Roger Avary

Day of The Dead: Bonus Materials (Disc Two)

Widescreen Presentation enhanced for 16x9 TVs

Theatrical Trailers

Behind-the-Scenes Photos

Audio Interview with Actor Richard Liberty

Wampum Mine Promotional Video

TV Spots

Continuity Stills Gallery

Zombie Make-Up Photo Gallery

Gallery of Memorabilia

Posters & Advertising Art

Production Stills

George Romero Bio

DVD-ROM: Original Screenplay & Production Memos

The Many Days of DAY OF THE DEAD – An all-new 39 minute documentary featuring interviews with Writer/Director George A. Romero, Producer David Ball, Special Make-up Effects Artists Tom Savini and Greg Nicotero, Production Designer Cletus Anderson, Assistant Director Chris Romero, and Actors Lori Cardille, Joe Pilato and Howard Sherman

DAY OF THE DEAD: Behind The Scenes – 31 minutes of production footage from Special Make-up Effects Artist Tom Savini