PDA

View Full Version : Bad Review #2

DjfunkmasterG
04-Apr-2007, 03:47 AM
It is fun to know the AOL horror bloggers are checking out indie horror. Here is the review of Deadlands, from cinematical.com's Matt Bradshaw... and it ain't pretty.

http://www.cinematical.com/2007/04/02/killer-bs-on-dvd-deadlands-the-rising/

At least he got all the character and crew names correct. :D (Remember the original Bloody-Disgusting debacle?)

Anyway, it is pretty bad, but still a review nonetheless. Enjoy.

Danny
04-Apr-2007, 10:57 AM
its a tough review but there are a fiew valid points and is actually more of a proffessional review than the other one by whoever that was (cant remember right now) but for your first otuing with a camera without even doign any shorts first 2 bad reviews out of the amount youve had ,which number escapes me right now, isnt exactly a failure is it?

MinionZombie
04-Apr-2007, 11:25 AM
Hmmm...sounds like the guy kinda 'missed the point' of the film, just seemed needlessly grumpy to me.

As for comparing the budget of Night68 to Deadlands ... why?

Night of the Living Dead - $114,000 (not sure if that's adjusted or not) ... Deadlands - $15,000 including equipment.

How can you compare the two budgets? That's just daft to me. :rockbrow:

I personally think the reviewer missed the spirit behind the movie...

LouCipherr
04-Apr-2007, 12:47 PM
As for comparing the budget of Night68 to Deadlands ... why?

Night of the Living Dead - $114,000 (not sure if that's adjusted or not) ... Deadlands - $15,000 including equipment.

How can you compare the two budgets? That's just daft to me. :rockbrow:

I personally think the reviewer missed the spirit behind the movie...

That's what I was thinking too. I thought 'waaaait a sec, didn't Night have like 6 times the budget of our film?!' Seems like I was right. Had we had that kind of cash at our disposal.... oh boy, it would've been a different movie. :)

The one thing I scratched my head when I read was this statement:

"But the true WTF moment is the zombie montage with some utterly inappropriate acoustic guitar on the soundtrack."

"Inappropriate"? This I do not understand. I personally think that's one of the best placed music & film scenes in the movie. I mean, it was just after the slaughter of the traffic jam, and this showed the aftermath with some haunting music in the background to set the mood perfectly. the music combined with the visuals just screams "there is no hope left...."

Something to point out: there is NO acoustic guitar anywhere on the soundtrack of Deadlands, period. I recorded all the guitar parts, so trust me, I know. Last I checked, my Fedner Strat was an electric guitar. :lol: :D

Alas, this is just one guys opinion and I do respect it. He does have some valid points about the film, I will give him that, but I agree with MZ that the "spirit" of the film was missed, especially when you're comparing budgets of 'Night' to Deadlands - doesn't make sense, but... uhhh... ok. :lol: It's a $15,000 film, it's not going to be an epic, million dollar hollywood picture.

That's ok though, you can't please all the people all the time. I think we've pleased more people than turned off, so that's a good thing.

What's the score now, Dj? 14/1/2 (good/neutral/bad)? Not bad.. not bad. We'll take it! :)

LC

DjfunkmasterG
04-Apr-2007, 04:17 PM
That is the correct count Lou

14 - Good (Counting the most Recent from Rogue)
1 - So So
2 - Bad

Also, adjusting for inflation, to make night of the Living Dead today would cost $660,413.79. Which means in order to compete on the scale of Night of the Living Dead I would need 60 times my original production budget.

LouCipherr
04-Apr-2007, 05:49 PM
SIXTY times?! :eek:

Like I said, I do respect the guys opinion, but if you're going to compare film budgets, at least match apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

MinionZombie
04-Apr-2007, 06:22 PM
CRIPES!!! $600k + ... now that's a significant leap from $15k ... therefore backing up my "you f*cking wot, mate?" assertion to that point the reviewer made. If you're gonna make a statement such as that in a review, make sure you've got the facts right.

DjfunkmasterG
04-Apr-2007, 10:47 PM
If I had 600K... **** would have been getting blown up in DL1, bet your money on that!

MinionZombie
05-Apr-2007, 11:09 AM
If I had 600K... **** would have been getting blown up in DL1, bet your money on that!
Go all 'John Landis' like Kevin Smith was saying in the latest SModcast - get some f*cking helicopters flying around blowing shiite up! :lol: You could have a monster sized pile up, just imagine the traffic sequence, but with all the cars smashing into one another, limbs flying about, airbags deploying left and right, fluids everywhere, the odd fire, couple of explosions, a zombie caught nearby gets vaporised and the blood/gore splatters all over a school bus and the faces of dimwitted kids poking their heads out those little tilting windows...:elol:

DjfunkmasterG
05-Apr-2007, 12:58 PM
Go all 'John Landis' like Kevin Smith was saying in the latest SModcast - get some f*cking helicopters flying around blowing shiite up! :lol: You could have a monster sized pile up, just imagine the traffic sequence, but with all the cars smashing into one another, limbs flying about, airbags deploying left and right, fluids everywhere, the odd fire, couple of explosions, a zombie caught nearby gets vaporised and the blood/gore splatters all over a school bus and the faces of dimwitted kids poking their heads out those little tilting windows...:elol:

Now thats what i am talking about. :D :elol: :barf:

LouCipherr
05-Apr-2007, 01:57 PM

Y'know MZ, I knew you always had a screw loose. I think that's why we get along so well! Awesome idea! :elol:

MinionZombie
05-Apr-2007, 06:54 PM
Y'know MZ, I knew you always had a screw loose. I think that's why we get along so well! Awesome idea! :elol:
If you can't find time in your life to splatter gore across a child's face, then you're not living effectively! :cool::thumbsup:

Ooh - how about after a zombie de-spines someone, they shove their arm up their back and yank out the brain that way, then have a shot with the victim's eyes being sucked back into the skull, then cut to the jiggly, gory mess being pulled out of the person's torn-out back, and then feasted upon ... oh yeah baby! :D

LouCipherr
05-Apr-2007, 07:04 PM
If you can't find time in your life to splatter gore across a child's face, then you're not living effectively! :cool::thumbsup:

Jumpin' Jesus on a pogo stick! Now you sound exactly like Dj! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ooh - how about after a zombie de-spines someone, they shove their arm up their back and yank out the brain that way, then have a shot with the victim's eyes being sucked back into the skull, then cut to the jiggly, gory mess being pulled out of the person's torn-out back, and then feasted upon ... oh yeah baby! :D

Eeeewwww, that's wrong on so many levels it makes it just right. :D

MinionZombie
05-Apr-2007, 07:16 PM
I'd love to see that in a film, it'd be awesome, especially in a zombie film ... in fact, I demand you guys write it into Deadlands 2!! :D:sneaky::p

I've gotten close to splattering gore across a child's face, but not really. Ben's brother Sean in "Trapped", he was like 17 at the time I think, maybe 18, right on the f*cking border anyway ... so I guess technically he was a minor at the time, possibly (no idea when his birthday is), anyway, he was in spitting distance of being a minor ... so that's close! :lol:

He took a splattering of washing up liquid with red food dye right in the mush (and gob/throat) like a man though. :cool:

Also, getting girls covered in gore, you want some of that too! Had a bit thus far, but one of these days ... ... I'll go all-out on both fronts, hahahaaaaaaaaaaa! :elol:

LouCipherr
05-Apr-2007, 07:27 PM
I'd love to see that in a film, it'd be awesome, especially in a zombie film ... in fact, I demand you guys write it into Deadlands 2!! :D:sneaky::p

I'll tell you what - when we force you to come across the pond in 2008 and DP part 2, then we'll talk about your.. <ahem> 'demands' :lol: :lol: :D

Also, getting girls covered in gore, you want some of that too! Had a bit thus far, but one of these days ... ... I'll go all-out on both fronts, hahahaaaaaaaaaaa! :elol:

Hey, i'm all down for splattering a willing woman with blood, guts and gore - but those willing to do so are not that easy to find! :shifty:

DjfunkmasterG
05-Apr-2007, 08:12 PM
Didn't I already de-spine someone?

My idea for brain removal was two or three zombies hold someone down, a fourth zombie comes into frame with a brick or rock and starts cracking it against the back of someones skull until it splits open and then all of them reach inside to get some brains. :D

LouCipherr
05-Apr-2007, 08:59 PM
Didn't I already de-spine someone?

yes, you did, but they didn't reach in and pull out the brains from the spine opening. :lol:

My idea for brain removal was two or three zombies hold someone down, a fourth zombie comes into frame with a brick or rock and starts cracking it against the back of someones skull until it splits open and then all of them reach inside to get some brains. :D

:barf:

this thread rules!

:barf:

MinionZombie
05-Apr-2007, 09:45 PM
True Dj, you did ... but like Lou said, you didnay yank the brain out through that hole ... nor have the eyes being sucked into the skull cavity to then dangle around the mushed up brain in a zombie's hands (and then get bitten off by zombies desperately trying to get the dangling and jiggling 'eyes on string' into their mouths). :elol:

Yeah I'm sick, but wo'eva...

Mind you, the de-spining shot in Deadlands rocked! :cool:

I'll tell you what - when we force you to come across the pond in 2008 and DP part 2, then we'll talk about your.. <ahem> 'demands'

I'll hold you to that, Lou. :p:D:sneaky:

But I'll warn you now, I drink an exceptional amount of Robinson's...and I have to have a 'moving sexy lady sofa' at all times, so I might lounge across the sexy backs of some barely-clothed sexy ladies who are strapped together to form the sexiest sofa you've ever seen...tall order, but it's in my "contract". :lol:

LouCipherr
05-Apr-2007, 10:25 PM
:lol: :lol:

You'll have to work that out with Dj. He might give you a per-diem for the Robinson's, but the 'moving sexy lady sofa'...? I dunno about all that. I didn't even get that for the first movie and I was the producer! :lol: :shifty: :D

MinionZombie
06-Apr-2007, 10:52 AM
I didn't even get that for the first movie and I was the producer!

Yeah, but I'm blatantly more super-duper-serial-awesomer than thou! :elol: ... :p ... ... j/k

LouCipherr
06-Apr-2007, 12:17 PM
Yeah, but I'm blatantly more super-duper-serial-awesomer than thou! :elol: ... :p ... ... j/k

Ok, we'll talk...

(that's "hollywood-speak" for you ain't getting jack sh*t.. :lol: :lol: :lol:)

:p :D

MinionZombie
06-Apr-2007, 12:32 PM
I'll see you in court! ... what for, I've no idea ... ... but that's kinda Hollywood as well isn't it? :p:lol:

LouCipherr
06-Apr-2007, 12:47 PM
I'll see you in court! ... what for, I've no idea ... ... but that's kinda Hollywood as well isn't it? :p:lol:

Yes, yes it is.. you'll fit in perfectly over here. :lol: :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
06-Apr-2007, 01:47 PM
But I'll warn you now, I drink an exceptional amount of Robinson's...and I have to have a 'moving sexy lady sofa' at all times, so I might lounge across the sexy backs of some barely-clothed sexy ladies who are strapped together to form the sexiest sofa you've ever seen...tall order, but it's in my "contract". :lol:

We don't have Robinson's here... it is Miller Lite, Heiniken or nada. :elol:

:lol: :lol:

You'll have to work that out with Dj. He might give you a per-diem for the Robinson's, but the 'moving sexy lady sofa'...? I dunno about all that. I didn't even get that for the first movie and I was the producer! :lol: :shifty: :D

Yeah Sexy Sofa ain't happening. I am the director and I didn't get it so know one else gets it, but I will make sure there is a key of the purest coovan I can find on set at all times.

Says who? :D :D :D :lol:

MinionZombie
06-Apr-2007, 06:03 PM
Dj - says me! :p

Coovan eh? Hmmm ... oh, alright then ... if I chug enough of that, I'll think I have a sexy lady sofa to sprawl across! But if Dj gets one, maybe he can fanagle a 2 for 1 deal? :lol:

If stubbornness helps in Hollywood, then I'd be alright, I'm Scottish. :cool:

DjfunkmasterG
06-Apr-2007, 07:00 PM
I have just the person you need to talk too. :D

MinionZombie
06-Apr-2007, 10:13 PM
I have just the person you need to talk too. :D
A psychiatrist? :p:shifty:

DjfunkmasterG
07-Apr-2007, 09:52 AM
A psychiatrist? :p:shifty:

That and a Wannabe Producer Promoter by the name of Tim Beal. :lol: