PDA

View Full Version : Just saw Night 1990 in High Definition...

TCDarkness
12-Apr-2007, 12:21 AM
I tuned in for the opening, but I have a hard time watching a movie on TV that I already own--even if it is on HD. Is that weird? Plus, as soon as I tuned in I started to notice how pedestrian the effort seemed in making this film. If this were Dawn (which I have seen like 50 skrillion times) or anything else in HD I would be all over it.

What say you guys? Would you watch a so-so movie in HD, even if it is zombieish?

Kaos
12-Apr-2007, 01:34 AM
It was on UHD (Universal HD Channel) and it looked friggin fantastic. I hope they show it again, cuz I only caught the last 45 minutes of it.

It has inspired me to pick up Land of the Dead on HD-DVD. Zombies in High Def rock. :cool:

Edit - This thread was merged with the one above. Since Night 90 is a remake it is now in the remake forum.

I tuned in for the opening, but I have a hard time watching a movie on TV that I already own--even if it is on HD. Is that weird? Plus, as soon as I tuned in I started to notice how pedestrian the effort seemed in making this film. If this were Dawn (which I have seen like 50 skrillion times) or anything else in HD I would be all over it.

What say you guys? Would you watch a so-so movie in HD, even if it is zombieish?
I know some folks are kinda lukewarm about Night 90, but I am quite fond of it. :)

capncnut
12-Apr-2007, 02:49 PM
I know some folks are kinda lukewarm about Night 90, but I am quite fond of it. :)
I think the reason why Night '90 hasn't been embraced by the 'Z' community as a whole is because of the lack of gore. This is one reason why I applaud it - FX shouldn't mean everything - and the movie does well without it, never becoming dull for one moment. The only grumble I have with Night '90 is the music, apart from the fact that it's dated, at times it sounds like it belongs on another movie entirely!

I would love to see this in high def btw.

axlish
12-Apr-2007, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the heads up TC, I'll give this a look, although I will always prefer the unmatted version.

capncnut
12-Apr-2007, 04:15 PM
Ah, a purist!

axlish
12-Apr-2007, 04:51 PM
Ah, a purist!

Not so much a purist, more of a "I don't care how it was released in theatres, I got used to the unmatted version on VHS, and now I just get irked by the unseen bits" kind of guy. Same goes for the original Dawn of the Dead, probably the only two films that I feel this way about.

EvilNed
12-Apr-2007, 05:56 PM
I don't like Night 90 because I think it's a bad film. Not because of it's lack of gore which I rarely ponder on really.

I think the editing and pacing is sub-par, the music ruins every scene it's in and it's unengaging.

TCDarkness
12-Apr-2007, 06:27 PM
yeah, I do think the music is what is really bad. the acting is fine. the direction is a bit of a pedestrian effort (I heard Savini barely directed any of the indoor stuff, that GAR had totake over. FWIW). I guess the film doesn't follow the rule of sequels/remakes: we need more! more blood, more zombies, something. :elol:

axlish
12-Apr-2007, 08:33 PM
The music is bad, the acting is mostly bad, a lot of the dialogue is bad, the atmosphere is lacking, but I still like it a little bit, at least enough to sit through it once a year. I do think Tony Todd and Tom Towles were servicable in their roles.

capncnut
13-Apr-2007, 01:57 AM
I like it more than a little bit. It's kinda worthy in it's own little way.

acealive1
15-May-2007, 11:03 PM
i actually loved this one because we can all relate to it(anyone not old enough to have seen the first one). its like our moon landing cuz it happened in our generation. just wish there would have been an uncut version

dirtydwarf
16-May-2007, 12:42 PM
I still remember how excited I got when I first saw the trailers on television. man that was a looooooong couple of weeks before it hit the theatres....

DVW5150
16-May-2007, 02:42 PM
i actually loved this one because we can all relate to it(anyone not old enough to have seen the first one). its like our moon landing cuz it happened in our generation. just wish there would have been an uncut version

Uncut version? There is not a cleaned up version, unless Cleanflix got a hold of it. That would be laughable , because without the filmmakers permission, they chop out anything that offends in the least .Then rent to hyper-vigilant parents that are freaked out their kids will become emotionally damaged by a movie.
By uncut, do you mean you have seen an edited version, that was altered for content or something?
The DVD is not edited, it has just about all of the work that was shot, except the extras, which Savini makes clear were clipped for the MPAA(GAK!).Those were really only seconds of film.
I love it , I am aware of those that dont, thats ok.
NOTLD 1968 had no copywrite, so it was a way for GAR to get the rights back.This also was a chance for Savini to fullfill his creative efforts of Night, because he had gone to Vietnam to be a combat photographer when the original was made.
As for the end music, I kinda like it, but the sampled guitar riff gets on my nerves.The score during the film was abit kitchy.
I love the cook-out (after the gas pump explosion)scene though, it makes me want to offer those stenches some sauces, & a keg of beer.:lol:
Of course I would not do so w/out a few mates w/ spaz shotguns to cover me.

Cody
16-May-2007, 04:03 PM
high def zombie would rule.

acealive1
17-May-2007, 06:15 AM
Uncut version? There is not a cleaned up version, unless Cleanflix got a hold of it. That would be laughable , because without the filmmakers permission, they chop out anything that offends in the least .Then rent to hyper-vigilant parents that are freaked out their kids will become emotionally damaged by a movie.
By uncut, do you mean you have seen an edited version, that was altered for content or something?
The DVD is not edited, it has just about all of the work that was shot, except the extras, which Savini makes clear were clipped for the MPAA(GAK!).Those were really only seconds of film.
I love it , I am aware of those that dont, thats ok.
NOTLD 1968 had no copywrite, so it was a way for GAR to get the rights back.This also was a chance for Savini to fullfill his creative efforts of Night, because he had gone to Vietnam to be a combat photographer when the original was made.
As for the end music, I kinda like it, but the sampled guitar riff gets on my nerves.The score during the film was abit kitchy.
I love the cook-out (after the gas pump explosion)scene though, it makes me want to offer those stenches some sauces, & a keg of beer.:lol:
Of course I would not do so w/out a few mates w/ spaz shotguns to cover me.

well just the part when mr mcgruder gets swiss cheesed. i heard it was a lot gorier in some parts including that one. oh well, im happy with what i got and its a good movie. i remember them talking about the night copyright issues. knowin full well if it was a scorsese film, he would have sued and won which sucks. even if i knew there was no copy right on the movie, i still would have given george his due and gave him a cut regardless.

Kaos
17-May-2007, 11:38 AM
Uncut version? ...

I think what he means is that there were several effect shots created that Savini did not include because Columbia Tristar figured the MPAA would take issue with them. One was a more clear shot of Magruder getting shot, and one was a head shot explosion of another zombie. There was a work print of the movie that included those scenes that a company called Blackest Heart Media (and several others too) used to sell on VHS. The work print was of course a bootleg, and Savini said that Columbia Tristar would never release the "uncut" version.

Eyebiter
17-May-2007, 12:07 PM
Never say never. Ten years from now when it's time to market the "definitive Tom Savini collectors box set" we might just see that version of Night 1990.

Wildey
15-Aug-2007, 10:55 PM
I find that this movie goes in the continuity of the others, it respects the romero movies environment, special mention to the credits music in the end.

clanglee
16-Aug-2007, 01:42 AM
I've always loved the Savini version. It really stands above most zombie movies out there as far as overall quality. It had a good scare factor. And as far as sequels go, I thought it was pretty darn good.

sorry, remakes

MissJacksonCA
20-Aug-2007, 02:26 AM
I'm just wondering about the appearance of zombies on HD... the quality is worth the HD? For some reason I stay away from converting HD because I feel like it'll make the zombies look more clownish or fake...

ProfessorChaos
25-Aug-2007, 07:24 PM
Went out and shot a wad of cash last night on a new HDTV and a new dvd player that plays standard dvd's in near HD quality. Night 1990 was the first film I watched in its entirety, right after I got done drooling over the picture quality of Revenge of the Sith, The Two Towers, and a few other big-budget special effects films. I plan on watching all four of the GAR films on my new set later this evening.:)

acealive1
21-Oct-2007, 08:19 AM
Went out and shot a wad of cash last night on a new HDTV and a new dvd player that plays standard dvd's in near HD quality. Night 1990 was the first film I watched in its entirety, right after I got done drooling over the picture quality of Revenge of the Sith, The Two Towers, and a few other big-budget special effects films. I plan on watching all four of the GAR films on my new set later this evening.:)

lucky man

ProfessorChaos
21-Oct-2007, 09:00 AM
i'll be really lucky when i get my 360, dead rising, and halo3 to jam out on the hd....should be a week or 2.:D

bassman
23-Oct-2007, 07:22 PM
i'll be really lucky when i get my 360, dead rising, and halo3 to jam out on the hd....should be a week or 2.:D

Yes sir, you will. Halo 3 is the sh*t. I liked Dead Rising, but it got a bit stale and repetitive after a while. A few members here agree with that, I believe.

Either way, you'll probably cream your pants when you first start it off. Nothing like a zombie killing rampage.:)

acealive1
23-Oct-2007, 07:44 PM
Yes sir, you will. Halo 3 is the sh*t. I liked Dead Rising, but it got a bit stale and repetitive after a while. A few members here agree with that, I believe.

Either way, you'll probably cream your pants when you first start it off. Nothing like a zombie killing rampage.:)

it was so stale i didnt even bother to play it

bassman
23-Oct-2007, 07:49 PM
it was so stale i didnt even bother to play it

Are you saying you never played it at all? How would you know that it gets stale?

The first...I dunno, hour of gameplay was a load of fun, but after that it gradually goes downhill to the point of just giving up on it. If you've never played it, I would suggest a rental so you can give it a try. It's at least worth that.

Hell...I know some people here that absolutely love it.

ProfessorChaos
23-Oct-2007, 08:20 PM
i've got a buddy from back home who tells me that it gets old in three hours or so.:|

i really doubt i'll get that bored with it, as i can sit and play jfk reloaded on my pc for hours on end.

halo 3 will be a completely different story, as i will most likely play that one for days on end.

should be ordering my 360 elite within the next two weeks.:D

i'll be sure to link up with you guys so you can stomp all over my noob ass.

Ritchie
17-Nov-2007, 06:53 PM
A tad late to this thread, but I only just signed up so what can you do? I remember seeing Savini's NOTLD on its UK release date in '93 at the Southampton film festival; the showing was at Southampton uni'.
Firstly, I like the movie and it was fantastic to see it on the big screen. There was some really good scares, and there was a great atmosphere with many real fans in attendance.
Secondly, there is a book called, Savini - the wizard of gore , published by Midnight Media in which Savini talks about his experiences, (good and bad), of directing NOTLD.
I won't repeat the text verbatim, but to give you the gist Tom talks about how there is a lot more gore that he shot, including head-shots, which were cut out at the time. Also, he goes on to talk about how he gave some examples of the music he wanted to the composer, but the guy just ignored Tom and did what he wanted! Allegedly, the guys that were employed to do the effects on the film were less than interested in working as part of a team with Tom, and instead seemed to be more concerned with kissing up to George in order to work on The Dark Half. Many suggestions that were made by Tom to his effects people were just dismissed.
Make of that what you will, but I still very much like the film and I hope there will be a super-duper version at some point.
Take it easy.
Rich.

acealive1
17-Nov-2007, 09:03 PM
Are you saying you never played it at all? How would you know that it gets stale?

The first...I dunno, hour of gameplay was a load of fun, but after that it gradually goes downhill to the point of just giving up on it. If you've never played it, I would suggest a rental so you can give it a try. It's at least worth that.

Hell...I know some people here that absolutely love it.

a friend whos a zombie fan like us called me 20 minutes into playing and goes "im taking it back for a refund" so apparently its that stale

Sir James Forbes
20-Nov-2007, 12:09 PM
Hello Richie,

Tom Savini gave a talk at one of the Watford film fairs some years ago and I remember him saying that his version was a lot better than the theatrical one. I also remember his saying that he'd provide a copy of it to the fair organisers, but I happened to come across them a couple of years later at a fair at the NEC, Birmingham and they informed me they'd never received anything.

I did manage to find a UK guy who provided me with a timecode version. It was disappointing as the only addition was the obligatory head-explosion shot, which, whilst good to see, was not the full version I was expecting to see.

It must be out there somewhere. Give us a shout mate if you ever come across it!

Cheers,

Skippy911sc
20-Nov-2007, 01:47 PM
a friend whos a zombie fan like us called me 20 minutes into playing and goes "im taking it back for a refund" so apparently its that stale

I would agree to some degree...

On a standard Def TV the game was hard to play...the subtitles at the bottom where impossible to read and the pager constantly going off while playing was anoying...that said after a while the games gets better...more guns...more moves...more stenches...more FUN!!!

Some point in the game you get in a car in the parking garage that is full of Zs and go crazy...funny as Hell!!

DubiousComforts
22-Nov-2007, 05:52 AM
H
Tom Savini gave a talk at one of the Watford film fairs some years ago and I remember him saying that his version was a lot better than the theatrical one.
It should be obvious that Tom Savini was thrown to the wolves with this film. It was simply a money grab for the original investors that were bilked out of a small fortune. The copyright issues are a load of hokum--remaking NOLD has not stopped the constant stealing of the original film, story or title that continues to this day. Romero has been attempting to move on since 1971, but he's certainly in the minority camp.