PDA

View Full Version : I want to downlod old games

Tied2thetracks
28-Mar-2006, 08:00 PM
A.P.B., an all time favorite, is there a rom out there somewhere?

Harold W Brown
28-Mar-2006, 08:33 PM
About 8 years ago, there was a Dawn/Day mod for DOOM that was kinda fun. Any free downloads for that anywhere?

Tied2thetracks
28-Mar-2006, 09:07 PM
great reply.

Danny
30-Mar-2006, 12:02 AM
whats a.p.b?

wait isnt that the online gta thing for the xbox 360?

sorry no luck dr.jones.

however i found an alternative to roms you may like here.

http://www.abandonia.com/index2.php

MikePizzoff
30-Mar-2006, 02:24 AM
Cool site, Hellsing. Thanks!

Danny
30-Mar-2006, 12:31 PM
damn straight theres a slice of 80's flashbacks for the older gents and gals right thar'.

LouCipherr
30-Mar-2006, 07:12 PM
If you really want an 80's flashback (esp. if you were an arcade junkie like me) head over to here:

M.A.M.E. (http://www.mame.net)

In fact, I was such a junkie, I had to build my own arcade cabinet and load MAME up on it. Now I have over 4k of games on that bad boy.. :D

You can see a pic of my cabinet here. (http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/LouCipherr/MAME%20Cabinet/FinishedCabinet2.jpg)

Deadman_Deluxe
31-Mar-2006, 01:09 PM
Nice cabinet ... but does it REALLY hold over 4k worth of games?

general tbag
21-Aug-2006, 07:19 AM
depends which version of apb you wanna play,

over at www.atariage.com they do have a legal apb rom for the lynx avaliable, and also can download handy there.

LouCipherr
21-Aug-2006, 12:00 PM
Nice cabinet ... but does it REALLY hold over 4k worth of games?

4k - I meant, 4000. :D

Yes, it does. MAME supports emulation of 4000+ games, and I put every single game that is emulated by MAME v.104 on that cabinet.

Now, don't get me wrong, the machine doesn't have the capability to play every one of them because there are games emulated by MAME that not even the most powerful PC today can play due to some arcade machines using dual CPU chips and different hardware architecture - but yes, there really is over 4000 games on there.

Playable games, I would estimate at around 3800, somewhere around there. Quite a few of those are foreign and japanese games too.

LC

Adrenochrome
21-Aug-2006, 12:02 PM
4k - I meant, 4000. :D

Yes, it does. MAME supports emulation of 4000+ games, and I put every single game that is emulated by MAME v.104 on that cabinet.

Now, don't get me wrong, the machine doesn't have the capability to play every one of them because there are games emulated by MAME that not even the most powerful PC today can play because some arcade machines use dual CPU chips and different hardware architecture - but yes, there really is over 4000 games on there.

Playable games, I would estimate at around 3800, somewhere around there.

LC
Very cool cabinet.

general tbag
21-Aug-2006, 12:12 PM
that a pre-fab machine or did u make it lou

CoinReturn
21-Aug-2006, 04:34 PM
http://www.coolrom.com is where I get all my emulators/roms. Check it out and see if they have it.

LouCipherr
21-Aug-2006, 07:22 PM
that a pre-fab machine or did u make it lou

Thanks guys - well, the cabinet is definitely not pre-fab. My brother built that cabinet for me. :) See, I'm the electronics whiz, but he's the man with the carpentry skills, so it kinda just fell together.

I had started bugging him around november of 2004 to help me make a cabinet. I had MAME and I had the plans for a cabinet although not exactly as pictured - my brother modified it to make it a LOT stronger and not too wide that it won't fit through a standard doorway once you unscrew 4 screws and take off the control panel.

Anyway, I gave him the plans, we talked for a few days about it, then it kinda drifted off into the background not to be spoke of again 'till my birthday 4 months later.

He calls me and says "c'mon over mom's house, I have your b-day present here" - I had NO idea what it could be, then sure enough, he points to this monsterous thing under a sheet and says "happy b-day, man!" and it was the cabinet, completely built minus the control panel electronics! :D I love my bro.. :)

The completely amazing part of the cabinet construction? My brother built it INSIDE his two bedroom condo! How the hell he managed that i'll never know!

Anyway, so he built the cabinet, I drilled out and installed all the wiring on the control panel and dedicated that AMD 2400+ computer that's down below in the bottom of the cabinet. That's it. My MAME Machine was born. :)

I really only wanted it to play the classics: pac man, ms. pac man, galaga, galaxian, etc., but now I have not only MAME on there for the arcade games, but also DAPHNE which is a laser-disc emulator (for Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, Astron Belt, etc) and it also has a Sega Genesis emulator with every Genesis game ever made.

That cabinet has taken away so many hours from my life it's not even funny. :lol: