PDA

View Full Version : Women and Children first!!!

dmbfanintn
28-Mar-2006, 10:17 PM
Something I noticed while watching Land tis past weekend. In the opening scene when the Riley and crew are raiding the town and Dead Reckoning comes raoring thorugh, all the zombies are watching the sky flowers and Big Daddy is going around trying to make them stop looking up, notice when he grabs the zombie and the gun fire makes its head come off.

Just before that happens, Big Daddy pushes the rest of the "family" out of the way. He first pushes a child, then an adult female and is the trying to push the "dad" out of the way when the gunfire takes his head off.

I think this was an undertone the GAR threw in there to try and show Big Daddy's evolution. That he is beginning to fell compassion.

What is the normal human reaction to a dangerous event? Save the Women and Children first!

That is exactly what Big Daddy did in the scene, he save the child first then the woman and was unsuccessful in saving the man.

I never caught that until this weekend and I have watched Land probably 10 times by now!

I just thought that was an interesting thing that GAR put in there!

Thoughts??????

Adrenochrome
28-Mar-2006, 10:26 PM
I first noticed that when BD put the zombie "out of his misery" after he caught fire. The compassion or ANY kind of feelings were "still there" or "coming back".
I started looking for more of "that type" of hint....I never noiced the scene you referred....thanks!

peace

Tullaryx
28-Mar-2006, 10:30 PM
Hmmm, I noticed that the first time around but it didn't click in my head until after the movie. I wonder if anyone else noticed that those hero zombies who followed and mimicked Big Daddy like Number 9 and Butcher didn't join in on the feasting in Fiddler's Green. Well not that I could see.

axlish
28-Mar-2006, 11:05 PM
He first pushes a child, then an adult female and is the trying to push the "dad" out of the way when the gunfire takes his head off.

I think this was an undertone the GAR threw in there to try and show Big Daddy's evolution. That he is beginning to fell compassion.

What is the normal human reaction to a dangerous event? Save the Women and Children first!

And in sharp contrast, the citizens of Pittsburgh were all looking out for themselves. Great observation dmbfanintn. Never noticed that.

Deadman_Deluxe
29-Mar-2006, 12:28 AM
BG rules !!!!!!!!!!!!

dmbfanintn
30-Mar-2006, 07:44 PM
Nice observation about the Green's residents when they are being attacked. It is especially noticable when the guy gets dragged down and he grabs the woman by the ankle and brings her down too.

they were simply concerned with themselves!

However, I still believe that Howard Sherman as Bub pulled off the compassionate zombie the best.

When he found Logan dead in the freezer, I like his take on the mourning zombie better than Big Daddy's.

I see these things as the continued evolution of GAR's story. Remember, his original idea was to have a lone stumbling figure being chased by a group with guns. After they shoot the figure, it was to reveal the he was the last human left and the zombies had finally taken over.

axlish
02-Apr-2006, 02:31 PM
However, I still believe that Howard Sherman as Bub pulled off the compassionate zombie the best.

No doubt about it. Bub and Logan's relationship is the one bright shining light in the dismal gloom of Day of the Dead.

MinionZombie
02-Apr-2006, 07:41 PM
I've never noticed that part of the flick before, the women & children bit you speak of, I'll have to keep an eye out for it when I next watch the movie, which might be quite soon - starting to get a hankering to see it again.

I did pick up on the compassion element though - stomping on the head and shooting the one on fire - but never saw the 'trying to save the family' part before...interesting.

dmbfanintn
03-Apr-2006, 07:13 PM
stomping on the head and shooting the one on fire - but never saw the 'trying to save the family' part before...interesting.

It's right before that. The head that he stomps on belongs to the "father" of the family.

EvilNed
03-Apr-2006, 11:54 PM
My favorite part of the Big Daddys zombie "horde" are the two teenage zombies that keep holding hands throughout the entire movie.

Deadverse
04-Apr-2006, 12:28 AM
Good eye, I just realized that whole family thing now. I remember seeing it but I did not really deem it relevant or anything. :confused:

Moon Knight
06-May-2006, 09:44 PM
WOW! Looks like I missed that one as well. That was a great opening scene. GAR doesn't make a film in years and still manages to deliver better quality stuff than most of the crap released today. Time to watch LOTD yet again.

darth los
27-Jun-2007, 01:15 AM
Something I noticed while watching Land tis past weekend. In the opening scene when the Riley and crew are raiding the town and Dead Reckoning comes raoring thorugh, all the zombies are watching the sky flowers and Big Daddy is going around trying to make them stop looking up, notice when he grabs the zombie and the gun fire makes its head come off.

Just before that happens, Big Daddy pushes the rest of the "family" out of the way. He first pushes a child, then an adult female and is the trying to push the "dad" out of the way when the gunfire takes his head off.

That is exactly what Big Daddy did in the scene, he save the child first then the woman and was unsuccessful in saving the man.

I never caught that until this weekend and I have watched Land probably 10 times by now!

I just thought that was an interesting thing that GAR put in there!

Thoughts??????

I never noticed that before either. I might just have to pop it in and see what other easter eggs i can find. Thanks.

MissJacksonCA
01-Jul-2007, 05:24 AM
I noticed the compassion he had for his fellow zombies too but again... just felt that's a basic human component. He really carried something of Bub over from Day to Land but it bothered me. I dont want him to humanize zombies. I liked them as they were. Stupid and scary.

darth los
03-Jul-2007, 02:09 AM
I noticed the compassion he had for his fellow zombies too but again... just felt that's a basic human component. He really carried something of Bub over from Day to Land but it bothered me. I dont want him to humanize zombies. I liked them as they were. Stupid and scary.

I agree. There have been other "monster movies" where the ghouls had intelligence but imo zombies are better left "stupid". For some reason when they exhibit intelligence they cease to be scary. It humanizes them too much. I think part of it is that they for the most part look human. They don't have fangs, claws or wings to make them look all demonic, so to speak. Not too say that they can't show any signs of intelligence at all. It's aparent within the first 10 minutes of NOTLD, when hinzman uses a rock to smash the car window, that they have atleast rudimentary intelligence and problem solving abilities. But this was to get at food, an extention of the survival instinct. It was in the furtherance of an animal instinct, not the expression of compassion, love or revenge.

MissJacksonCA
03-Jul-2007, 04:05 AM
well zombies are kinda scary considering they ought to all be covered in blood and miscellany body parts and the like (though they're typically and yet oddly CLEAN...relatively speaking that is...)

but I mean as the Romero belief has it... they retain basic motor function ... it would be sensical that they would then have the instinct to problem solve at a most primitive level... I mean hey if an octopus can open up a jar a zombie surely can figure out how to get to his dinner

darth los
03-Jul-2007, 05:08 AM
well zombies are kinda scary considering they ought to all be covered in blood and miscellany body parts and the like (though they're typically and yet oddly CLEAN...relatively speaking that is...)

but I mean as the Romero belief has it... they retain basic motor function ... it would be sensical that they would then have the instinct to problem solve at a most primitive level... I mean hey if an octopus can open up a jar a zombie surely can figure out how to get to his dinner

That's exactly what i mean though. The mental abilitiesm of the zombies in land went far beyond just going for a meal. They actually felt anger and pity. That's taking it to far imo. But it is gar's series and he can do with it whatever he wants. I don't have to like it though, but i do respect his decision to take it in the direction he did.

MissJacksonCA
03-Jul-2007, 05:11 AM
i dont respect his choice for taking it where it went because its ending the dream man... they're no longer as scary as they used to be :(

darth los
03-Jul-2007, 05:15 AM
i dont respect his choice for taking it where it went because its ending the dream man... they're no longer as scary as they used to be :(

I think that's exactly why he's rebooting the series with diary. He's taken it where he wanted it to go. There's not much else to do when it comes to that storyline. Also, as long as there are people dying there will always be zombies, Unless the "curse" from the day script subsides. i think he'll revert back to the "classic" zombies when his next offering gets released.

MissJacksonCA
03-Jul-2007, 05:17 AM
he better or ill have to find a new online hangout!

Philly_SWAT
03-Jul-2007, 08:41 AM

No doubt about it. Bub and Logan's relationship is the one bright shining light in the dismal gloom of Day of the Dead.

I agree. One possible reason for this is that the events in Day take place after Land, and therefore Bub is further along the ...."path of compassion" than Big Daddy.

darth los
04-Jul-2007, 07:16 PM
I agree. One possible reason for this is that the events in Day take place after Land, and therefore Bub is further along the ...."path of compassion" than Big Daddy.

We have to get the a.s.p.c.a. or p.e.t.a. in here. Someone has to stop you from beating that poor horse. :(

Khardis
07-Jul-2007, 01:47 AM
I really dislike the turn that GAR took with that whole thing. I simply do not understand how they can be compassionate years after rotting, but theyre completely mindless seconds after dying and coming back.

I think he made a big mistake with that. He could have swung it better, by taking a route that said that SOME of these zombies retain some of their finer human qualities while the majority don't. The idea that they all die, and regen and are mindless then over a few years rotting into nothingness they suddenly switch back is absurd. I think GAR took his political whining just a little too seriously and shot his lore in the foot. Which sucks.

darth los
07-Jul-2007, 02:51 AM
I really dislike the turn that GAR took with that whole thing. I simply do not understand how they can be compassionate years after rotting, but theyre completely mindless seconds after dying and coming back.

I think he made a big mistake with that. He could have swung it better, by taking a route that said that SOME of these zombies retain some of their finer human qualities while the majority don't. The idea that they all die, and regen and are mindless then over a few years rotting into nothingness they suddenly switch back is absurd. I think GAR took his political whining just a little too seriously and shot his lore in the foot. Which sucks.

What's even more wierd is that say we accept the premise that the zeds evolved after a while. Then how does cholo exhibit the behavior he does after just turning?

Khardis
07-Jul-2007, 02:57 AM
What's even more wierd is that say we accept the premise that the zeds evolved after a while. Then how does cholo exhibit the behavior he does after just turning?

That was just the hollywoodization of the film. I am not so sure GAR would have done that along with a number of other things if he had only 5 million bucks and no studio.

MissJacksonCA
07-Jul-2007, 09:57 AM
Thinking about it Cholo is kinda the Bub of LAND because he sought vengeance against Hopper... I mean WTF he just happened to know where hopper would be? Because he was often granted access to the parking garage? I'm sure. Of course then big daddy was also a bit of a Bub because he led the zombies and put the one of his misery... speaking of which... HOW CAN A ZOMBIE FEEL PAIN WTF

darth los
07-Jul-2007, 03:27 PM
Thinking about it Cholo is kinda the Bub of LAND because he sought vengeance against Hopper... I mean WTF he just happened to know where hopper would be? Because he was often granted access to the parking garage? I'm sure. Of course then big daddy was also a bit of a Bub because he led the zombies and put the one of his misery... speaking of which... HOW CAN A ZOMBIE FEEL PAIN WTF

Gar lost me with the whole concept of the movie. Some say that i have to try and see it his way. I tried and just can't. I still think he was mistaken to take it in the direction he did.

MissJacksonCA
08-Jul-2007, 03:00 AM
we've just analyzed it too much... the magic is gone...

darth los
08-Jul-2007, 04:57 AM

I've never actually seen a zombie myself so i don't know how they "ought" to be. I'll defer to you on this one. :p

mista_mo
08-Jul-2007, 04:59 AM
being undead that eats human/animal flesh...i can't imagine them being so clean.

MissJacksonCA
08-Jul-2007, 05:09 AM
Take my word for it guys thats how zombies should be :)

darth los
08-Jul-2007, 05:20 AM
Take my word for it guys thats how zombies should be :)

So the woman who knows nothing about NOTLD is going to school the rest of us on what zombie should be? :confused: Okey Dokey. :rockbrow:

mista_mo
08-Jul-2007, 05:22 AM
FLAMER FLAME WAR

wheres my 50 hitlers thing...s*it...

darth los
08-Jul-2007, 05:29 AM
FLAMER FLAME WAR

wheres my 50 hitlers thing...s*it...

Are you kidding? This is me and her on a good day. :D