PDA

View Full Version : Ya know ya did good when...

DjfunkmasterG
29-Mar-2006, 12:29 AM
You have a friend who is also your producer for your film...

He suddenly gets a new Digital camera that can record quality Video and he decides to shoot some Video of his brother jumping his RC car off a home made ramp.

Then he gets home a drops the video into an editor (pinnacle) but becomes frustrated that pinnacle is a poor ass editor. You turn him onto Sony Vegas, at first look he feels overwhelmed, but the next day he sends you an IM in yahoo proclaiming

THIS PROGRAM F*CKING RULES!

So now that he has the editing bug... I think he should direct Episode 3.

LouCipherr
29-Mar-2006, 12:36 AM
So now that he has the editing bug... I think he should direct Episode 3.

..and I think you need to put down the crack pipe. :lol:

Yeah, yeah, Vegas is great - i'd say more about it, but.....can't talk now.........editing.. :p

Hey, I only shot a few minutes of my brother and his RC truck and wanted to put together a video w/some music for him.. I didn't realize editing was so entertaining in a weird kinda way. :D

DjfunkmasterG
29-Mar-2006, 12:47 AM
Now you know why I wanna change careers

MikePizzoff
29-Mar-2006, 01:20 AM
Pinnacle does suck. How much does Sony Vegas cost? My system that has Adobe Premier Pro on it is currently under the weather :dead:

DjfunkmasterG
29-Mar-2006, 01:28 AM
$499.00

MinionZombie
29-Mar-2006, 09:52 AM
lol, yeh, Pinnacle is an infuriating piece of kit that's for sure. I use it, I just found it to be the most user friendly to me - I don't want to become an editor or follow it seriously, everything I've done thus far has been cut on Pinnacle and when you know how to get around any little problems then it works fine for me. Of course, it's rather g-h-e-a-y that I have to work around those problems in the first place...but ah well.

I've tried to get into fancy, la-dee-dah packages, but I'm too impatient! :D

Burbank
29-Mar-2006, 10:23 AM
I've never used Pinnacle or Sony Vegas... But then I've never edited using a home PC.

I've only ever used Avid and Avid Express.

DjfunkmasterG
29-Mar-2006, 11:02 AM
Sony Vegas may look intimidating at first, but trust me it is the simplest and the most efficent PC based editing program out there. You can download a trial from Sony and I think you get to use it for 30 days.

I swear you will find it so easy after one hour of use. Anyone who needs some basic tips on Vegas can always send me a PM or send me a Yahoo message. If I can get Lou to switch, and make it easy for him... I can do the same for anyone.

MinionZombie
29-Mar-2006, 07:38 PM
Perhaps I'll give Vegas another go...once I dig out my copy of it I had somewhere...

Danny
29-Mar-2006, 10:02 PM
um forgive my squirelly ignorance ,but episode 3 of what?

and shun me if you will, but im a pretty amatuer writer/director (yes another english one on this forum, were takin' over,lol.) ,and i use windows media editor or whatever its called, though i normally do comedys not horror, so judge me if you will.

LouCipherr
29-Mar-2006, 11:29 PM
MZ - I'm tellin' ya, if I can pick up how to edit in Vegas, it can't be that bad or user unfriendly.. :lol:

Seriously, Pinnacle was indeed infuriating, but Vegas... whoa.. the difference is night and day, and adapting from one to the other was pretty simple. I've had vegas for 2 nights, and already i've put together those RC car clips in a nice music video... to Thunderkiss '65 no less. :D

If you're gonna edit on a PC, there is no substitution - Vegas is where it's at.

...and thanks Dj, you just took away god knows how many more hours of my life to be spent (once again) sitting in front of my computer!! :p

hellsing: "Part 3" refers to part 3 of Dj's planned 3 parts of Deadlands, which is the movie he is making (and making me act in.. :D).. well, 2 parts are planned, but who knows what the future holds.. I doubt I'd direct, but edit? mmmmmmm..... maaaaybe. :D

DjfunkmasterG
29-Mar-2006, 11:36 PM
um forgive my squirelly ignorance ,but episode 3 of what?

and shun me if you will, but im a pretty amatuer writer/director (yes another english one on this forum, were takin' over,lol.) ,and i use windows media editor or whatever its called, though i normally do comedys not horror, so judge me if you will.

Hey Hellsing,

it is running joke on the set of my film. We know there will be at least 2 parts to DEADLANDS. I told Lou when i hooked him on VEGAS that he will direct DEADLANDS 3: The search for DEADLANDS 2.

I do the same to my DP when he is taking too long to set up a shot...

I say Hey Thomas... I can fix it in post. Funny part is... 90% of the time I can.

Also, I told you Lou... VEGAS is a godsend next too Pinnacle.

MinionZombie
30-Mar-2006, 08:18 AM
Righty tighty then ... I'll dig out that copy of Vegas again and give it a raz.

MikePizzoff
30-Mar-2006, 12:00 PM
$499.00

You can get it from http://www.sonymediasoftware.com for $89.95.

LouCipherr
30-Mar-2006, 12:17 PM
$90? It's a steal at that price, that's for sure.

I say Hey Thomas... I can fix it in post. Funny part is... 90% of the time I can.

Y'know what's insane? He's actually right on this. Sometimes he says it seriously, meaning he can honestly fix a particular issue in post and we shouldn't worry about it on set - sometimes, it's said just to razz our DP (most of the time - sorry, Thomas.. :D), but almost 90% of the time, he's right, he can fix it in post..

What's even more scary about me learning Vegas? I realized that you can take a movie that's been directed terribly and fix it - to an extent - if you're a good editor... but it also goes the other way: you can be a FANTASTIC director, and get everything on film just how you wanted it - but if your editor is bad, the movie will be horrible. It's scary how much impact on a film editing really does have.

I never realized this until working on Deadlands and messing with Vegas and my own stuff. Sometimes we shoot something and I think 'eeehhh, that came out good, but there was this lighting issue (or something else) - hope Dj can 'fix it in post' (sorry Thomas.. lmao) and sure enough, once edited, you think "how did I ever think this wouldn't work in the first place?!"

Editing.. amazing what can be accomplished when done correctly.. and with the right tools! ;)

LC

Danny
30-Mar-2006, 12:23 PM
damn straight .thats only £51.

DjfunkmasterG
30-Mar-2006, 12:30 PM
You can get it from http://www.sonymediasoftware.com for $89.95.

Thats not the same program... That is Vegas Movie studio, it doesn't have the same features. I am using just Plain VEGAS (which is the professional edition)
http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/products/vegasfamily.asp

See the orange box... Thats the version I use. The $89.95 version is garbage for doing home movies, has no real FX or Transitions.

MikePizzoff
30-Mar-2006, 12:59 PM
Ohhh! My fault. I should have realized, considering most programs have the professional edition and the home edition.

DjfunkmasterG
30-Mar-2006, 02:45 PM
Sounds like a plug for Windows XP there Mike :D