PDA

View Full Version : The Return of the Living Dead

Trioxin245
29-Mar-2006, 05:10 AM
Can't seem to find a thread as this, but anyway discuss the ROTLD series here.

In an overall excellence, I'd say that ROTLD surpasses even Romero's masterpiece, Dawn Of The Dead. Maybe it's like comparing apples and oranges (satire does not equate to spoof), but they're both zombie flicks, and ROTLD is the best goddamned zombie flick I'll might have ever seen. The whole film just screams 80's style, wich just turns up the atmosphere in the film into the classic it has become. The 80's punk beats of the soundtrack is by far excellent, and seize to keep me attached throughout the entire film. The golden actors James Karen and Thom Matthews brings out most of the comical moments through their terrific and hilarious performance(in both ROTLD & ROTLD II) You can't get enough of them. The black humor with an sense of slapstick, and yet serious level. Makes The Return of the Living Dead one of the most unique and quite orignal Zombie film out there, as it introduce a new set of elements for the Zombie genre, The first Zombie film ever featuring running ones, The hunger for Brains and damn a heck of alot other things to spread an eager of delight.

I would say ROTLD is quite possibly the most cult classic and influential Zombie flick ever, right up there with Dawn of the Dead.

Svengoolie
29-Mar-2006, 02:36 PM
I couldn't have said it better myself, Trioxin. I agree with you 100%.

And, whether or not the GAR die-hards like to admit it or not, ROTLD was a great flick that gave as much to the zombie genre as GAR did.

Hell, I even read an interview with a zombie extra for Land that talked about "eating zombie brains"!:D

The script was top-notch, and brought to us by the same guy that did the original Alien. It had a rip-roaring soundtrack, excellent effects, a plot and pacing that kept us on the edge of our seats, and a little something that GAR never heard of--character development.

In short, it was everyting Day of the Dead wanted to be.

Kudos.;)

Trioxin245
29-Mar-2006, 02:48 PM
I couldn't have said it better myself, Trioxin. I agree with you 100%.

And, whether or not the GAR die-hards like to admit it or not, ROTLD was a great flick that gave as much to the zombie genre as GAR did.

Hell, I even read an interview with a zombie extra for Land that talked about "eating zombie brains"!:D

The script was top-notch, and brought to us by the same guy that did the original Alien. It had a rip-roaring soundtrack, excellent effects, a plot and pacing that kept us on the edge of our seats, and a little something that GAR never heard of--character development.

In short, it was everyting Day of the Dead wanted to be.

Kudos.;)

Ouch thats gonna hurt GAR fans, right up to the crouch :D

I must say the characters were better then overall any you can find in horror films...even in the GAR franchise ;)

The Nazi Ernie was great, The Anti hero Burt kicked ass, Uncle Frank comically rules and Tarman stole the show. What more do you need?

Svengoolie
29-Mar-2006, 02:50 PM
Hey! You forgot about Trash and Suicide!:elol:

"What do you think this is about? Do you think this is a f*ing costume? This is a way of life!":mad:

Trioxin245
29-Mar-2006, 02:56 PM
Hey! You forgot about Trash and Suicide!:elol:

"What do you think this is about? Do you think this is a f*ing costume? This is a way of life!":mad:

How unprofessional! you forget Chuck, the horny turd in Tuxedo "Wow the shiit is really hitting the fan out there" :D

Tullaryx
29-Mar-2006, 03:19 PM
I'd have to disagree only on the point that its better than GAR's series. But the first two films in the ROTLD franchise I see as way up there in terms of horror-comedy. I think its a better comparison to films like Dead Alive and Shaun of the Dead. GAR's series goes for straight horror and social commentary with each film, even though after NOTLD the scare became more existential than primal. With ROTLD scare was really there to be a break from the comedy just like in Jackson's film and Wright's and Pegg's film.

With GAR's franchise the characters were really basic in terms of characterization. I always thought this was both an advantage and a disadvantage. It was an advantage since it helped push the notion that the characters represented a small microcosm of human society. It was a disadvantage for the fact that we don't really get to know the characters and sometimes don't care much if they died. Though the character of Ben and Peter seemed to be the exceptions.

In the ROTLD series the characters had to be fleshed out, so to speak. The films weren't trying to commentate on a social issue. O'Bannon wanted to spoof the past zombie films and at the same time pay abit of a tip of the cap to NOTLD. And with the comedy aspects of the film, the characters had to be more well-rounded to allow the audience to either hate certain characters or love certain characters. I know one thing ROTLD did better than anyone else until Jackson and Wright/Pegg came along and that was pull off both horror and comedy. Drama is easy to do, but pulling off a horror comedy without it turning into one big joke is a very big accomplishment.

Trioxin245
29-Mar-2006, 03:35 PM
I'd have to disagree only on the point that its better than GAR's series. But the first two films in the ROTLD franchise I see as way up there in terms of horror-comedy. I think its a better comparison to films like Dead Alive and Shaun of the Dead. GAR's series goes for straight horror and social commentary with each film, even though after NOTLD the scare became more existential than primal. With ROTLD scare was really there to be a break from the comedy just like in Jackson's film and Wright's and Pegg's film.

With GAR's franchise the characters were really basic in terms of characterization. I always thought this was both an advantage and a disadvantage. It was an advantage since it helped push the notion that the characters represented a small microcosm of human society. It was a disadvantage for the fact that we don't really get to know the characters and sometimes don't care much if they died. Though the character of Ben and Peter seemed to be the exceptions.

In the ROTLD series the characters had to be fleshed out, so to speak. The films weren't trying to commentate on a social issue. O'Bannon wanted to spoof the past zombie films and at the same time pay abit of a tip of the cap to NOTLD. And with the comedy aspects of the film, the characters had to be more well-rounded to allow the audience to either hate certain characters or love certain characters. I know one thing ROTLD did better than anyone else until Jackson and Wright/Pegg came along and that was pull off both horror and comedy. Drama is easy to do, but pulling off a horror comedy without it turning into one big joke is a very big accomplishment.

True, but I wouldn't compare Dead Alive with SOTD and ROTLD. While They were Horror comedies, same as Dead Alive. Shaun and Return are Satire with an level of seriousness, while Dead Alive was generally one big comical gore flick with outrageous special effects and an crazy ass concept.

Tullaryx
29-Mar-2006, 03:38 PM
True, but I wouldn't compare Dead Alive with SOTD and ROTLD. While They were Horror comedies, same as Dead Alive. Shaun and Return are Satire with an level of seriousness, while Dead Alive was generally one big comical gore flick with outrageous special effects and an crazy ass concept.

But Jackson was being serious. Well serious of making the goriest movie on film, at least. :) But seriously, Dead Alive had its serious moments when one really looked beyond the slapstick and pools and pools of gore. It really was just a film about a boy and his mum.

Trioxin245
29-Mar-2006, 03:45 PM
But Jackson was being serious. Well serious of making the goriest movie on film, at least. :) But seriously, Dead Alive had its serious moments when one really looked beyond the slapstick and pools and pools of gore. It really was just a film about a boy and his mum.

I certainly did not see any Two Towers, invincibility rings neither dwarfs. So why are you saying Santa Jackson was being serious with this film :D

Tullaryx
29-Mar-2006, 03:54 PM
I certainly did not see any Two Towers, invincibility rings neither dwarfs. So why are you saying Santa Jackson was being serious with this film :D

Gotta look in deep, my man. Start channeling within you all the pretentious, elitist film academics who pooh-poohs the zombie genre. Then you shall see it. :D

Trioxin245
29-Mar-2006, 04:02 PM
I did. But all I saw was a big bright light coming at me ;)

Tullaryx
29-Mar-2006, 04:06 PM
I did. But all I saw was a big bright light coming at me ;)

Well, you might've been having a heart attack...hence the big bright light at the end of the proverbial tunnel. I mean nothing can be more serious than a heart attack. Though there's castration, cuckolding, cancer, disembowlment....

axlish
29-Mar-2006, 04:09 PM
ROTLD is firmly entrenched as my 3rd favorite zombie film of all time. Heck, it may even be my 3rd favorite film of all time. This film literally caught lightning in a bottle. I truly do not have a single complaint about it. It is audio/visual crack for the zombie fan.

The Gore: Excellent in every way. My young mind had trouble dealing with certain scenes such as the hacksaw across the neck.

Atmosphere: Completely F'ed. If you had the option, you'd fall on your sword, but in this world even that wont help :eek:

Characters: Loved every one of them!

Freddy - The punk-gone-right, but still cool enough to know that Frank is a dweeb.

Frank - Represents the snivelling wuss in all of us :D Completely over-the-top performance. "Oh Jeezus!"

Burt - Nobody ever mentions this but Burt is total badass. He'd give Ash from Evil Dead a serious run for his money. I also love the unscripted "Black bastard" line he says to Spider. He was so entrenched in the character that he didn't even flinch after saying the line, although Spider seemed to take notice. He is the enforcer in this flick.

Suicide - This character really sold the punks to the audience. Sure they could have gone cheezy and spray painted his hair liem green and teased it out. This guy was believable as the real deal. My favorite line of his "Hey F you ballbuster!". I'd still like to know how this actor met his fate. IMDB says it was a set accident.

Spider - He ran the gambit from tough as nails to damn near Frank-like. I love the scene where is tripping out over the half lady. "I'll bust it in the damn head!"

Oh yeah, the soundtrack kicks arse!

I'm not old enough, but I imagine that the audience watching Dawn in the theatres were hooting and hollering. ROTLD captured that same Hoot and Holler vibe. IMHO, Romero forgot to have fun with Day of the Dead and that is why it played 2nd fiddle to ROTLD in the theatres.

Trioxin245
29-Mar-2006, 04:09 PM
Well, you might've been having a heart attack...hence the big bright light at the end of the proverbial tunnel. I mean nothing can be more serious than a heart attack. Though there's castration, cuckolding, cancer, disembowlment....

Or it was the film vision of elitist film academics :lol:

Tullaryx
29-Mar-2006, 04:11 PM
ROTLD also, I was a youngin still, gave me shots of Quigley bush. :)

axlish
29-Mar-2006, 04:12 PM
ROTLD also, I was a youngin still, gave me shots of Quigley bush. :)

Wow. I'd almost forgot what a selling point that scene was back in the day. Good call.

Tullaryx
29-Mar-2006, 04:15 PM
Wow. I'd almost forgot what a selling point that scene was back in the day. Good call.

And then she got all zombified. Man that sure killed the chubby.

Trioxin245
29-Mar-2006, 04:17 PM
Burt - Nobody ever mentions this but Burt is total badass. He'd give Ash from Evil Dead a serious run for his money. I also love the unscripted "Black bastard" line he says to Spider. He was so entrenched in the character that he didn't even flinch after saying the line, although Spider seemed to take notice. He is the enforcer in this flick.

Love that line, badass :sneaky:

http://www.dangermuff.com/audio/rold_41a.mp3

bassman
29-Mar-2006, 04:20 PM
Ehh, I'll watch the film and enjoy it, but I really don't think it's all that special. It's an entertaining flick and it screams 1980's just like you said, but it's never been anything more to me than that.

Bottom line - Funny, entertaining flick that is good for a few occasional viewings but is nothing to write home about.

That's my opinion on it. Come to think of it....I probably haven't seen it in about 5 years. Maybe I should check it out now after all this time has passed by...

I would give it...hmm...probably a 6 out of 10.

Danny
29-Mar-2006, 09:52 PM
they first two were good, but i think rave to the grave if thats what its called is a signifier that its time to give up on a franchise.

Tullaryx
29-Mar-2006, 10:07 PM
Don't even get me started on ROTLD: Necropolis.

Danny
29-Mar-2006, 10:30 PM
ah yes how could i forget that steaming turd of a film?.

glsjaw
29-Mar-2006, 11:55 PM
like any run with a title after the first one it starts to go down hill then there is that fine master piece that screams please make this the last one.

dean martin
30-Mar-2006, 12:25 AM
this series pales in comparison to the romero series. the gore lacks, the storylines lack, the hokie cornball characters go beyond 80's cheese.....i have I and II, but they rarely leave the shelf.

axlish
30-Mar-2006, 01:22 AM
I am 99.9% certain that GAR is on the record as saying he liked the film.

Tonyfr
30-Mar-2006, 01:34 AM

The weird thing is that we really do not see anything if you listen to the commentary. They had to do some "work" so it do not to appear as "full frontal nudity".

Andy
30-Mar-2006, 04:53 PM
one thing that put me off ROTLD was the fact that 1 and 2 both had the same actors, playing similar characters and saying exactly the same lines in both films!

that annoyed me :|

Trioxin245
30-Mar-2006, 05:00 PM
one thing that put me off ROTLD was the fact that 1 and 2 both had the same actors, playing similar characters and saying exactly the same lines in both films!

that annoyed me :|

Well it was generaly one big joke. It were infact same actors yes, but they played different characters, Joey and Ed. "This whole thing, feels like an dream, like we've done this before, you..me..them." and Ed gets an suprise look on his face.

;)

axlish
30-Mar-2006, 06:24 PM
I have a love/hate relationship with part 2. I hated it initially for its wasted potential. I love it now because it is just a big mind-F of a flick.

Part 3 has grown on me as well. I really dig the River Man character :lol:

Part 4 & 5 were suprisingly watchable. I might actually pick up the official DVDs once they come out. They were good fun, like part 2 but a tad more serious.

Trioxin245
30-Mar-2006, 06:44 PM
I have a love/hate relationship with part 2. I hated it initially for its wasted potential. I love it now because it is just a big mind-F of a flick.

Yeah I feel the same. I just really gives it a watch for more brains and good ol' performance by my favourites Thom Mathews and James Karen, its a pity Clu Gulager(Burt Wilson) never go the part of Doc Mandel. Clu was infact interested in that part.

Part 3 has grown on me as well. I really dig the River Man character :lol:

I have just recently bought ROTLD III, it will arriwe tomorrow. Ah can't wait.

Part 4 & 5 were suprisingly watchable. I might actually pick up the official DVDs once they come out. They were good fun, like part 2 but a tad more serious.

I don't know about watchable, they're the biggest disappointments I've faced. Now if they were Resident Evil 3 & 4, I might have accepted them ;)

axlish
30-Mar-2006, 06:48 PM
I have just recently bought ROTLD III, it will arriwe tomorrow. Ah can't wait.

The unrated cut really adds a lot more over-the-top gore. You'll see what I mean. Let us know what you think of it, and the River Man :p

Trioxin245
30-Mar-2006, 06:55 PM
The unrated cut really adds a lot more over-the-top gore. You'll see what I mean. Let us know what you think of it, and the River Man :p

I've heard ROTLD III it has a mix of Re-Animator?

dmbfanintn
30-Mar-2006, 07:23 PM
Love ROTLD! Funniest line in the whole film:

The Brain, The Brain!!

I hit the flucking brain!!!

I love it when Burt says that!

Trioxin245
30-Mar-2006, 07:33 PM
Love ROTLD! Funniest line in the whole film:

The Brain, The Brain!!

I hit the flucking brain!!!

I love it when Burt says that!

Any line with brains goddamn rules :D

I like when Joey(ROTLD II)turns into an Zombie and gives Brenda that creepy yet hilarious expression, and goes all "Let me eat your braaaiiiiiinnnnn!"

Thom Matthews is brilliant as always.

axlish
30-Mar-2006, 07:37 PM
I've heard ROTLD III it has a mix of Re-Animator?

It definitely has that wacky Brian Yuzna Re-Animator feel to it.

Tullaryx
30-Mar-2006, 07:38 PM
Now, if ROTLDIII only had a scene to match up with Re-animator's "head" scen then it would've been great. :)

Svengoolie
30-Mar-2006, 07:40 PM
To be honest, I think the second one in the series isn't a total wash-out.

I like the fact that the action was set in a new suburban subdivision...kinda like in Poltergeist. Those subdivisions can often be a little creepy because, although they're considered urban, they're sometimes out in the middle of nowhere....

Trioxin245
30-Mar-2006, 07:43 PM
To be honest, I think the second one in the series isn't a total wash-out.

Svengoolie, your brains smells so good, and spicy.

:D

Svengoolie
30-Mar-2006, 07:46 PM
"Fresh brains! Get 'em while they're cold!"

Yeah...Clu definitely should've gotten that part, buddy-boy.:D

Trioxin245
30-Mar-2006, 07:51 PM
"Fresh brains! Get 'em while they're cold!"

Yeah...Clu definitely should've gotten that part, buddy-boy.:D

Oh yes, can you imagine him gettin' all "For 30 years and I have never put a scratch on it...GIVE ME THAT WHEELE!!" :cool: :D

Tri0xin
30-Mar-2006, 11:38 PM
Hands down.

"Let me ask you a question, kid. Did you ever see that movie Night of the Living Dead?"

Wooley
31-Mar-2006, 04:55 AM
I still think Romero's are superior, simply because I don't care for talking, thinking zombies. And I liked Romero's more serious take on it to ROTLD's humor, although the humor was good, but in the last few years, the ROTLD series has grown on me, up through 3. I liked that funeral home guy. Hard core dude. The zombies overunning the roadblock was one of my favorite parts, along with the ambulance, then the police car, then the police cars getting overrun, along with the ending.

The redhead in Rotld 2. Drool. Whinny scream queen, but redheads man...
Also cool to see Mitch Pileggi pre-X files as that sergeant that the redhead and the graverobbers run into, and the one starts eating one of his men's brains.

Mindy Clarke in ROTLD 3. Drool again.

Trioxin245
31-Mar-2006, 09:17 AM
I am 99.9% certain that GAR is on the record as saying he liked the film.

I've always been curious what his opinion over ROTLD is. he was infact originaly going to be the producer, but Richard Rubinstein of Laurel Entertainment asked Romero to not get involved, because he didn't want people to think this film was part of Romero's "Living Dead" series.

But the thing that most comes to my mind, is how ROTLD would have turned out if Tobe Hooper hade gone directing it.

Mortis
12-Apr-2006, 02:07 AM
The Returns are great, but I can't compare them to the GAR flicks because they're not in the same league.