PDA

View Full Version : Swear filter

MikePizzoff
09-May-2007, 09:15 PM
No, this isn't another post complaining about it. I have a suggestion to make it better...

Any time anybody says "s h i t" have the filter auto change it to shiv. The f-word would be "fark".

That's just the way I'd do it if I were in charge around here... perhaps you guys will take my wise words of wisdom seriously. :D

capncnut
10-May-2007, 04:36 AM
I think there's more chance of shiv and fark being censored themselves. Jeez, even dollar signs get censored around here. :rolleyes:

Cody
10-May-2007, 06:40 PM
fark / f*** could be.....spork!

Andy
10-May-2007, 07:30 PM
No, this isn't another post complaining about it. I have a suggestion to make it better...

Any time anybody says "s h i t" have the filter auto change it to shiv. The f-word would be "fark".

That's just the way I'd do it if I were in charge around here... perhaps you guys will take my wise words of wisdom seriously. :D
The forum filter dosn't work like that, it dosn't replace words with words, it simply replaces sequences of characters with *'s and thats all it can do.

deadpunk
10-May-2007, 08:12 PM
are you certain? I can use word replacement on both of my forums. Is vBB that different than phBB?

Andy
10-May-2007, 10:03 PM
are you certain? I can use word replacement on both of my forums. Is vBB that different than phBB?
Well there is a phrase replacement filter which is meant to be used for mass-replacing phrases.. but it add's an extra query for every replacement phrase to the database which is bad.. plus it dosn't work on the shoutbox or in chat, so i use the traditional filter :)

MikePizzoff
14-May-2007, 04:10 PM
D'oh!

capncnut
04-Jun-2007, 01:29 AM
Well, it appears that anagrammatical swearing has now been allowed... :D

Philly_SWAT
06-Jun-2007, 01:59 PM
I always felt that since the board is dedicated to films that INCLUDE swear words, and since presumably people who visit this board like the films, they would, or should, not be offended by such language here. It seems a little hyprocritical to say "I am offended by those words" and "I love those films" which include the same words, in the same discussion area.

It seems akin to someone who had a friend or relative killed by a gunshot to the head be offended to see images of a zombies head blown away on this board.

darth los
06-Jun-2007, 08:41 PM
It seems a little hyprocritical to say "I am offended by those words" and "I love those films" which include the same words, in the same discussion area.

Especially when one of your favorite movies is Day of the dead. Anyone who can sit through that must have a lax attitude when it comes to swearing.

capncnut
06-Jun-2007, 08:55 PM
As much as I agree, I think the f**kin' filter may be abused by a select f**kin' few who f**kin' can't stop sayin' f**k all the f**kin' time. That would get on my f**kin' nerves to be honest.

Andy
06-Jun-2007, 09:00 PM
The question of the swear filter has been brought up a few times before, and has always been answered the same way.. Although the films we are all fans of contain many swear words, the management of these forums dont beleive that the 3 words (yes we only have 3) censored have no place in civil, non-flaming posts.. the censor is kept in place to keep the atmosphere generally tidier and nicer, and as a aid to stop flaming.

:)

capncnut
06-Jun-2007, 09:12 PM
I think I just had a McDermott moment then. :D

MinionZombie
06-Jun-2007, 09:39 PM
Well...I personally LOVE swearing, but I'm cool with the filter on here, it's Neil's choice and he's the Daddy of the gaff, so I respect that.

At least you don't have to pay £1.34 per swear or something completely retarded...:lol:...feckin' Labour are probably already coming up with anti-swearing-in-public laws right now...*sigh*...sorry Liam, but meh, I felt the gag was worth it. :D

Mutineer
07-Jun-2007, 12:19 AM
One problem I have seen on forums are people swearing 'to swear' when they most likely wouldn't be swearing in person. It is one thing to be with your buddies and another all together to just be flapping the gums with cuss words every other sentence

Does anyone really need to hear/read them ? I don't think anyone is offended, but some people have zero self control on these matters; you'll get some 14 years olds just running mad smack with open swearing

These are forums for open discussion not an arena to show everyone how cool you are by cussing

MinionZombie
07-Jun-2007, 06:42 AM
And that's why I like to swear creatively, not just bark "f*ck" and run away giggling into a corner like an 8 year old, haha...but aye, you make a good point, it helps to discourage those new to swearing who just blurt it out constantly. :D