PDA

View Full Version : autumn

Danny
30-Mar-2006, 03:30 PM
www.theinfected.co.uk

anyone else read these, you can get the first for free but i bought all four for £30 and david moody signed them and gave me some other free stuff like postacrds and a fridgemagnet.

the books rock, but that still damn genrous of the dude.

Tullaryx
30-Mar-2006, 03:37 PM
I read the first one and I have to say that I actually thought it better than Keene's The Rising. There wasn't much of the gore and shock of most zombie novels, but I liked how Moody gradually built up the dread from the moment the bodies began to rise up again right through to their gradual evolution into something really scary and dangerous.

I'm planning on getting the rest of the series once I finish reading through Edward Lee's Infernal Angel and Jack Ketchum's Off-Season.

Danny
30-Mar-2006, 03:42 PM
i think there easily better than the rising and monster nation series'.

they dont get 'smarter' like the rest of the books out there, they just get more aggressive as the story goes on.

Tullaryx
30-Mar-2006, 03:50 PM
Well, getting more aggressive it better be since, as much as I enjoyed the gradual pace of the first book, a zombie-based series needs to get its hands bloody and disgusting.

Danny
30-Mar-2006, 03:54 PM
towards the end they stand there on the other side of the fence surrounding were they are, and if on bumps into another the ones around it will start tearing it aprat.... like a slipknot moshpit at download.

Tullaryx
30-Mar-2006, 04:14 PM
A zombie moshpit :lol:

Danny
30-Mar-2006, 04:15 PM
damn straight,lol.

and this is way off topic, but its my thread so screw it, am i the youngest person on this forum, seems like it.

Zombie-A-GoGo
30-Mar-2006, 04:42 PM
I just posted a new interview on my zombie blog this morning with David Moody. Just click the link in my sig...you'll find it.

bassman
30-Mar-2006, 04:48 PM
damn straight,lol.

and this is way off topic, but its my thread so screw it, am i the youngest person on this forum, seems like it.

I think there are some around here in their early teens.:eek:

Danny
30-Mar-2006, 04:55 PM
argh!, tweeners!, damn them and there using the word ''safe'' as a greeting how can anyone born before 1990 understand that stuff?

dude that link was aesome id heard rumors about disintergration, adn as good a writer as moody is (from the perspective of another write) i do kinda think hater sounds eerily like 28 days later, but it was bound to come up again now that the zombie alternative (like soy zombies) are out there now.

if you havent visited the link i suggest you do the first book is a free couple -a-hundred pages novel, no catch.

and if you visit this forum ever your books rock david adn thanks for the postcards i dumped one or two at my local college's message board and i wrote if you love zombie check this out, and a few people wrote "oaky" on em,lol.

basically these books i hold in as high regard as romeros films, there that good.

heres a little excert, so read this and judge for yourself ,this is why i thnk the series rocks, its so fast paced.

Despite the fact that each one of the survivors had reached
new levels of emotional and mental exhaustion, not one of
them could even contemplate trying to sleep. This lack of
sleep meant that the disparate body of frightened and desperate
people were becoming even more frightened and
desperate with each passing minute. The hall was lit only
by a few dim gas lamps and the odd torch, and this lack of
light seemed to compound the disorientation and fear felt
by all of them. By midnight the tensions and frustrations
felt by even the most placid members of the group had
risen to dangerously high levels.
Jenny Hall, who had held her three month old baby boy
in her arms as he died on Tuesday morning, had dared to
complain about the food she’d been given earlier in the
evening. Although she’d meant nothing by her innocent
comments, the cook - the usually quiet and reserved Stuart
Jeffries - had taken it personally.
‘You stupid ****ing bitch,’ he screamed, his face literally
millimeters from hers. ‘What gives you the right to
criticise? ****ing hell, you’re not the only one who’s had it
tough. Christ, we’re all in the same ****ing boat here...’
Jenny wiped streaming tears from her face with shaking
hands. She was convulsing with fear and could hardly coordinate
her movements.
‘I didn’t mean to...’ she stammered. ‘I was only trying
to...’
AUTUMN - David Moody
‘Shut your mouth!’ Stuart shouted, grabbing hold of her
arms and pinning her against the wall. ‘Just shut your ****ing
mouth!’
For a second Michael just stood and watched, stunned
and numbed and unable to quite comprehend what he was
seeing. He quickly managed to snap himself out of his disbelieving
trance and actually do something to help. He
grabbed hold of Stuart and yanked him away from Jenny,
leaving her to slide down the wall and collapse in a sobbing
heap on the dirty brown floor.
‘Bastard,’ she spat, looking up at him. ‘You ****ing bastard.’
Michael manhandled Stuart across the room and pushed
him down into a chair.
‘What the hell is going on?’ he demanded.
Stuart didn’t respond. He sat staring at the floor. His
face was flushed red. His fists were clenched tight and his
body shook with anger.
‘What’s the problem?’ Michael asked again.
Stuart still didn’t move.
‘Not good enough for her, are we?’ he eventually muttered.
‘What?’
‘That little bitch,’ he seethed. ‘Thinks she’s something
special, doesn’t she? Thinks she’s a cut above the rest of
us.’ He looked up and stared and pointed at Jenny. ‘Thinks
she’s the only one who’s lost everything.’
‘You’re not making any sense,’ Michael said, sitting
down on a bench close to Stuart. ‘What are you talking
about?’
Stuart couldn’t - or wouldn’t - answer. Tears of frustration
welled in his tired eyes. Rather than let Michael see the
extent of his fraught emotion he got up and stormed out of
the room, slamming the door shut behind him.

DeadCentral
30-Mar-2006, 10:44 PM
I've spoken to David on a few accounts and I think his series is top of the line, well written and well thought out.
I enoyed all of them thoroughly.
A nice guy with a true respect for the genre.

Trencher
31-Mar-2006, 06:47 AM
Best thing about his writing is that he writes about the people not the zombies, there is no hero zombies or from the zombie perspective stories.
His work is great.

MinionZombie
31-Mar-2006, 10:03 AM
I bought it and started reading it, then I stopped because of going back to Uni after the holidays, and with all the reading you have to do I couldn't be arsed to read for fun. Nowadays I've got time to read, so I've blasted through several books recently.

So when I started reading for fun again I picked up Autumn again to finish it off (had gotten to page 30 I think when I stopped). Read the rest of it and yeh, it's an awesome book. I'll have to get the other books in the series when I run out of stuff to read, which could be soon - I'm on my LAST Chuck Palahniuk ... damn.

Burbank
06-Jun-2007, 09:57 PM
Just borrowed the first book off a friend and have been researching it on the internet. I was a little worried at first because the book was clearly published by an "on demand" printer and so wasn't released via a publishing house.

However, I'm reading it now and it pretty good so far!

Of course I had to check out what people on HPOTD where saying about it!

Danny
06-Jun-2007, 11:12 PM
its bitchin', oh and hater was good by the way, though i prefer moody's straight to you, i reckon thats a book mz will really enjoy. aint too excited by the autumn movie since its being made in canada with an all canadian crew and cast even a canadian script writer instead of moody, and the whole appeal of autumn was the fact it occured in england , but england written by an american is never really england so an english guy writing it for once made it seem so much more real.

still waiting on disintergration.:cool:

MinionZombie
07-Jun-2007, 06:33 AM
What's "Straight To You" all about then?

As for Autumn, damn shame there's no Brits involved, nor is it being filmed here...you'd have thought after 28DL it would have been shot here! :rolleyes:

I was looking forward to actually seeing Northwich itself on screen (I used to live near there once upon a time, and we would go there on Saturdays to shop and go around the market etc...which is where I think I got my "Teenage Mutant Ninja Tartles" jogging suit thingy when I was like 6. :D

MissJacksonCA
07-Jun-2007, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the tip man i've read a bit of it so far seems entertaining!

Danny
07-Jun-2007, 03:54 PM
What's "Straight To You" all about then?

As for Autumn, damn shame there's no Brits involved, nor is it being filmed here...you'd have thought after 28DL it would have been shot here! :rolleyes:

I was looking forward to actually seeing Northwich itself on screen (I used to live near there once upon a time, and we would go there on Saturdays to shop and go around the market etc...which is where I think I got my "Teenage Mutant Ninja Tartles" jogging suit thingy when I was like 6. :D

straight to you is about a guy who meets the woman of his dreams, unfortunatly the sun is beginning to die and the world is slowly getting hotter, she and her family head north , a day later he follows, they all know the worlds going to end he just wants to survive the ruins of a super heated britain to find her, of course they die in the end, its not a spoiler theres no other outcome (or special team with nukes to reignite the sun:rolleyes: ) its about the journey not the outcome, totally awesome read.