PDA

View Full Version : zombies and school

Danny
30-Mar-2006, 04:01 PM
this is my day off from college so ive been wasting time on the 'tinternet all day. so im looking around and i decided to check on minion zombies site deadshed productions and it said something about writing a g.c.s.e essay about clock work orange, which got me going have any of you guys ever subbmited something about zombies to school/college/uni as a piece of work?.

for my english g.c.s.e coursework i submitted a tale about a man in like period drama times walking from a mansion down a woodland lane to his house and being accosted by some of the cooks and the recently deceased gardner.

i got a 'C' and thanks to that passed english AND egnlish literature with a C each, the only thing i got a grade that high in besides that was woodwork....for some reason... so now im thinking of submitting a script about a zombie style pandemic for my A/S level coursework, so what about you guys ever submitted some undead work for actual grading.

i think my teacher said "very thoughtful and origional ,very reminiscent of lovecraft or edgar allen poe, i expect great things for him in english".

too bad i didnt take english at college,lol.

Tullaryx
30-Mar-2006, 04:12 PM
I actually wrote a paper for a film class elective I took in high school my senior year. It was pretty much a deconstruction of Romero's three dead films. It was pretty much a way to explain how Romero used the mos prevalent sociological issues of the decade the films were made in. Also, I tried to explain how man's inherent violent nature impacted the decision making of the survivors and how detrimental it was to their ultimate goal of trying to survive a crisis.

Danny
30-Mar-2006, 04:15 PM
i was gonna do my first film studies coursework on shaun of the dead, but i took the 'student' route and did reservoir dogs instead,lol.

Zombie-A-GoGo
30-Mar-2006, 04:50 PM
My bf is an English Prof, and has done a lot with zombies. So has his office mate, another English prof. We're always getting emails from students from all over the place who are working on various zombie-related works for class. In fact, we're currently working with a guy in Scotland who is writing something up about Resident Evil (all media) and popular culture. Another guy last summer wrote a law paper with a zombie spin. Pretty neat stuff. I think it's becoming more regularly acceptable to approach the sub-genre academically. Which is cool. :)

I myself am getting together a survey for zombie fans to take that will cover a lot as far as demographics go. My thing is...a lot of academics have written about the genre, about film, about books, and their place in culture and society...blah, blah, blah. They usually seem to talk about them as if they exist in some kind of bubble. These stuffy prof's rarely seem to take the audience into account. I mean the REAL audience. People like us, without whom there would be no work for them to deconstruct and analyze. So, I kinda wanted to write the paper on that. Once I get the questions together, I'd love it if you guys would participate. It would be, of course, completely anonymous, as I'd be asking a decent amount of questions that might be seen as, um, politically incorrect. :)

Danny
30-Mar-2006, 04:52 PM
who says im the real audience, i prefer imaginary audience of the real audience, they have pink elephants.

Tullaryx
30-Mar-2006, 05:05 PM
My bf is an English Prof, and has done a lot with zombies. So has his office mate, another English prof. We're always getting emails from students from all over the place who are working on various zombie-related works for class. In fact, we're currently working with a guy in Scotland who is writing something up about Resident Evil (all media) and popular culture. Another guy last summer wrote a law paper with a zombie spin. Pretty neat stuff. I think it's becoming more regularly acceptable to approach the sub-genre academically. Which is cool. :)

I myself am getting together a survey for zombie fans to take that will cover a lot as far as demographics go. My thing is...a lot of academics have written about the genre, about film, about books, and their place in culture and society...blah, blah, blah. They usually seem to talk about them as if they exist in some kind of bubble. These stuffy prof's rarely seem to take the audience into account. I mean the REAL audience. People like us, without whom there would be no work for them to deconstruct and analyze. So, I kinda wanted to write the paper on that. Once I get the questions together, I'd love it if you guys would participate. It would be, of course, completely anonymous, as I'd be asking a decent amount of questions that might be seen as, um, politically incorrect. :)

Shame I can't find my old paper. I wrote it before I went to college so there wasn't alot of uber-big words and terms. Part of my paper pointed out --- I believed it then as I do now --- that zombies as a monster plot device was and is one that resonates more with the general populace than vampires, weres, mummies, etc... Zombies are pretty much everyone you can think of, albeit abit on the decomposing and bitey sort of way.

Danny
30-Mar-2006, 05:12 PM
spiffy.