PDA

View Full Version : a question thats raged between gamers for years..

Andy
30-Mar-2006, 10:29 PM
quake or UT?

Danny
30-Mar-2006, 11:35 PM
i dont really play p.c games and the console equivalents pale in comparison to games like halo and battlefront.

Andy
30-Mar-2006, 11:49 PM
damn right consoles suck :p

FPS games were developed for the PC, their always gonna suck on consoles :rolleyes:

Deadman_Deluxe
31-Mar-2006, 12:56 AM

FPS games were developed for the PC, their always gonna suck on consoles :rolleyes:

WORD!

axlish
31-Mar-2006, 01:09 AM

You are mostly right. The only exceptions being Goldeneye for N64 and the Halo series.

Tough decision between Quake and UT. I never played either one of them but my two favorites are based on each. Soldier of Fortune is based on Quake and Land of the Dead is based on UT. I guess I side with Quake.

tkane18
31-Mar-2006, 04:32 AM
UT! - especially UT2004.
I could never really get into any of the Quake games.

Danny
31-Mar-2006, 12:04 PM
why do people allways hold goldeneye in such high regard, it sucks compared to half life!

MinionZombie
31-Mar-2006, 12:05 PM
I voted UT - for the multiplayer mania of it all - you've gotta love all that "Headshot" "Double kill" "RAMPAGE!" voice overs, hehe. Although the first and last UT game I played was UT2003 ... tried the follow up (2004?) a bit, but at the time my computer (laptop) couldn't run it.

Although I'm into Quake as well. I've got the original game, played the demo of the sequel only, have Quake 3 (but never really played it as it's multiplayer only) but bought Quake 4 at Xmas and recently finished playing it for the second time through - and it's a really fun game, fantastic level design - visually stunning (yet linear as a straight line obviously).

Single player wise it's Quake, multiplayer wise it's UT.

erisi236
31-Mar-2006, 02:23 PM
UT *headshot* :evil:

I like consle FPS games as well, I can control them just fine if not better then with "mouse look" my hands are funny like that I guess :D

MinionZombie
31-Mar-2006, 04:52 PM
Console FPS *vomits*

I'm a Mouse+WSAD fella through and through. Took me ages to get used to Halo 2 on the Xbox - never got the hang of sniping with those horrid analog sticks - however I swiftly became the house's top Halo champion.

erisi236
31-Mar-2006, 05:02 PM
heh, everyones different I guess, I knock people off from far away really quick in Halo 2 with the sniper rifle :elol:

axlish
31-Mar-2006, 05:07 PM
why do people allways hold goldeneye in such high regard, it sucks compared to half life!

Goldeneye was what hooked me, and thousands of others, on FPS. The levels were solid, the weapons were great, the game-action was great, the multiplayer was awesome, the one player was tough too. I am speaking of Goldeneye for N64 only, not any of the later 007 games.

erisi236
31-Mar-2006, 05:10 PM
I have fond memories of the train level in Goldeneye, and shooting peoples hats off :D

MinionZombie
31-Mar-2006, 05:15 PM
No diggity, no doubt there Andy. FPS are a PC creation - the accuracy you need to aim and shoot, as well as the key layout, is designed for PC - and as FPS is the home of cutting edge graphics, it's obviously suited towards the PC.

axlish
31-Mar-2006, 07:03 PM
I prefer the PC as well. You can't beat the mouse accuracy, as well as ease of side to side movement, crouching, jumping... you catch my drift.

Is anyone here still keeping up with the Land of the Dead modifications and new levels? They are getting some good stuff going over at www.undeadgames.com . There is a new Day of the Dead caverns map up that is very cool, and I just downloaded a Dawn 2004 map last night, mall parking lot with running zombies and the Dick Cheeze music. Oh yeah, there is a great Shaun OTD level too. Great stuff.

MinionZombie
31-Mar-2006, 08:42 PM
Fook, ALL those levels are up and playable at undeadgames?!

If so I'm going to have a zombie bashing sesh tomorrow big style!

axlish
31-Mar-2006, 08:49 PM
Fook, ALL those levels are up and playable at undeadgames?!

If so I'm going to have a zombie bashing sesh tomorrow big style!

Yeah just look for the threads in completed maps.

The Day map is called: INTrinDayV100

The Shaun Map is called: INWinchester

Dawn 2004: INDOTD2004

*I just noticed that a new INDOTD2004Lite map is released that I'm going to try later. The first map lagged so this one sounds better. I can't tell you how awesome it was to turn around and see dozens of zombies running after you w/ the harder version of Down w/ the Sickness playing :)

eblade
02-Apr-2006, 11:26 PM
I haven't played an Unreal since Unreal 2.. but, the first two were so godawfully bad in multiplayer, that there's no one i think who will ever convince me that UT and company are good.

Quake all the way for multiplayer.

Though mostly all I play these days is Land of the Dead, since i'm developing a bunch of stuff for it :) it uses UT engine, but it's hardly at all comparable.

p2501
03-Apr-2006, 03:38 PM
neither.

Frankly for deathmatch style play i more enjoy something with a atleast a marginal tactical element, not just "OMG i gutta get the R0Ck3tz0orvsyqbdybwid BBQ, N00B" . Runing around like an ADHD kid on three day crank binge with a MAC 10, does nothing for me. if i enjoyed mindlessly slaughtering the first thing i saw. whelp i do have an AR15 and a 3rd floor window with a great view.....

Hence i stick to Halo2 and Battlefield2.

Quake is the better of the two. but fankly the game speed and shoddy graphics (during high speed play) gives me a seizure.

UT is ass. the engine is neat, but the game is just a waste, it's all about "look at our clever weapons, aren't they clever? yep clever weapons indeed..." than about a fun multiplayer experience.

Andy
03-Apr-2006, 04:08 PM
well the original UT set the bar for pretty much every FPS game that followed it, both graphics and gameplay wise.. and UT2004 was one of the many games that halo ripped off :rolleyes:

p2501
03-Apr-2006, 04:38 PM
I just love the statement "ripped off" when applied to video games. it's one of the most mediocre responses available.

Meh, UT2k-bluh bluh bluh, is still ass. i've played the PC version in one form or another 3-4 times and own the ps2 port. between all of those versions, the game is about as fun as an inoperable brain tumor.

actually no, the tumor is better, atleast with it you get decent drugs and a quick ending.

Andy
03-Apr-2006, 04:52 PM
yeah ripped off, you know when a developer too lazy to think of something original looks at another game and thinks, thats cool. i'll steal it :p

you've only played the PC version 3-4 times and you've passed judgement, and the PS2 port is the original, 8 year old, UT, and did you completly miss what we were saying about how console FPS games suck in comparision to PC.

says alot about you :rolleyes:

erisi236
03-Apr-2006, 04:56 PM
but console FPSes DON'T suck compared to PC ones, so bleh to you. :p

EvilFlyingCow
03-Apr-2006, 05:13 PM
I prefer the Half-life / Battlefield series

p2501
03-Apr-2006, 05:18 PM
yeah ripped off, you know when a developer too lazy to think of something original looks at another game and thinks, thats cool. i'll steal it :p

you've only played the PC version 3-4 times and you've passed judgement, and the PS2 port is the original, 8 year old, UT, and did you completly miss what we were saying about how console FPS games suck in comparision to PC.

says alot about you :rolleyes:

what elitist bull****e are you huffing this afternoon.

right FPS games suck on anything other than PC (do you stroke yourself everytime you get to say that?) if they suck so absolutley much, why is there such and overwhelming console market for them? surely it's not because there is a sales base and market demand for FPS games on console system. No clearly because you so absoutely informed on this issue, it's because we "consolers" are dumb? and like to play games that suck.

further the fact 9/10ths of the higher selling PC FPS games are always ported to console is just because the devlopers are, you know, being generous to us lowly consolers. they're allowing us the savor that magical thing that is the PC First Person Shooter.

So for my determinations about UT, exactly how many times should i have played it? i think given the PC version 3-4 chances to "grab" me is ****ing gerenous considering the average gamer. and frankly if after 3-4 rounds i'm not intrested in the game, i don't think it's ever going to do it for me. But you might be right, clearly it's my lack of a discerning taste that has not "allowed" me to see that the game is singularly epic. and not the special olympics level frag fest i though it was.

as for Halo, bieng devloped by people that are lazy, umm yeah where's your Unreal tournament movie? Where's the huge commited fan base to the series? has any UT variant made back it's entire devlopement cost on just in launch daysales? i'll bet no, yet miraculously Halo2 did. but again that ties into the fact we Console FPS players clearly don't know what we're missing.

so keep :rolleyes: , your arguement is ****-tasticular.

Sorry but there are better FPS PC games to pine away for. **** even Tribes whihc is basicly unplayable was better than UT2k4

Andy
03-Apr-2006, 07:29 PM
i didn't say console owers were dumb or anything like that.. another one of my points you seem to of misread. im quite a console player myself, i just happen to prefer PC games, especially when it comes to FPS games as i personally find them easier to control and play, they tend to be better supported (bug fixes and patches released all the time) although one could say this is happening with the latest generation of online consoles, PC games do have better communities and are usually more open to user modding and editing.

as for the halo argument, ive had it many times with many fanboys.. and ive learnt.

so whatever you say. you win the halo one ;) :rolleyes:

p2501
03-Apr-2006, 08:17 PM
yes and no.

your inital posts indicates that both Console FPS games are infieriour to PC games, and that this rule is law. i highly disagree with the point and initially chose to just ignore it, as a blatant generalization.

as for PC vs Console. frankly i have up pc gaming around 2002-2003 because it's just not worth the cost or the effort. the "experience" of FPS gaming on a PC while more detailed doesn't account for the endless session of hacked servers, system upgrades , and delayed launch dates (when the **** is STALKER coming out?).

not to say these problems do not occur on consoles. but i find with console gaming, the number of probelsm i have is greatly diminshed. allowing me to focus less on the "expereince" and more so on having fun.

honestly, anyone how compares console games vs PC, is a ****tard from the onset because the two have very few similarities.

as for the fan boy thing, not entirely. I'm down with the halo love, i freely admit that. but to arbitrarily dissmiss the game as "ripped off" is juvenile. 2/3rds of the video games we currently play are derivative of something that pre-dates it. it's a process more akin to evolution than it is "ripping off". more so if it were directly ripped off, i'm certain there would have been an infringement lawsuit occuring at some point.

I'd argue my intrest in this series is less the fanatical commitment of someone with poor social skills. and more so i'm captivated by the fact they're telling a very intresting story. One that's intresting enough to make my finacee "force" me play the game over and over just so she can catch all of the plot points.

You like UT2004 hey that's fine. whatever i think of it shouldn't depricate from your like of the series. it's not like your saying Medal of Honor was good or anything.

live and let kill.

Andy
03-Apr-2006, 08:47 PM
sounds like we both got hold of the wrong end of the stick then :p

as for medal of honour.. :barf:

you ever play call of duty? thats how a WW2 FPS should be done :rockbrow:

p2501
04-Apr-2006, 03:21 PM
yeh MOH was krap.

call of doodie, i'm hit and miss on. i loved the soviet portion of the game, but the rest of it was kind of ho hum. i have to admit thought i bought it waaaaaaaaay after the fact, and my expecetation was very high.

if nothing else it was fun.

Republic commando, i have to point out was just kick ass from start to finish. SW plot BS aside the game was just balls out fun. i think every squad based game should look at RC as the building blocks on "how to" make squad based shooters fun.

erisi236
04-Apr-2006, 03:23 PM
Call of Duty 2 on Xbox360 is pretty damn good

p2501
04-Apr-2006, 04:49 PM
indded, i've played the demo a couple times from what i've seen it's vast improvement.

MinionZombie
04-Apr-2006, 06:06 PM
I loved MOH, I loved COD ... and COD2 is freakin' sweet. Been through it 3 times already, taking a breather from it until it's 'brand new again' to me, and then I'll play it again, and again, and then again most likely. Plenty of life left in it, a fantastic simulated warfare experience - probably nothing close to real war - but that's always going to be the case...on a visual level it's closer than we've been before...and it's just a wicked game.

p2501
04-Apr-2006, 07:39 PM
it's funny. for "a real war feeling" the Tom Clancy games are supposed to be all that. and from my experience with firearms, they're very very far from it.

battlefield 2 is kind of close.
i've had multiplayer rounds on the map Backstab, that have made me sweat more than a bit.

erisi236
05-Apr-2006, 02:17 PM
boy that new Tom Clancy game, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, feels pretty real tho' :eek:

p2501
05-Apr-2006, 02:21 PM
i'll have to see it, i've heard good things. but over all none of their games since Rogue spear have impressed me.

MinionZombie
05-Apr-2006, 02:31 PM
I like the advert for it ... like so many games these days, they whack on some pre-rendered video which has no place in the game at all ... also now they have to put a bit of text on (albeit briefly) to say "not in game footage" after some chumps believe the Call of Duty 2 advert was representative of in-game play, lol...n00bs...but it is wrong to not show in-game footage, it's just disappointing in the long run. Like seeing Final Fantasy 7 ads, great video sequences...then I saw what it was like in-game ... *sigh*, lol.

p2501
06-Apr-2006, 02:37 PM
BF2 for the 360 lookk amazing though. the ingame stuff is so nice to look at.

EvilNed
16-Apr-2006, 04:37 PM
I voted for UT because it left a much deeper expression on me than Q3 did. But in all honesty, I just love the old Doom games.

Danny
17-Apr-2006, 04:04 AM
taking a breather from it until it's 'brand new again' .

was that a dicomillo quote minionzombie?,lol.

MinionZombie
17-Apr-2006, 09:57 AM
lol - it wasn't, but that is exactly what he said in CKY3 wasn't it? lol - DiCamillo is a comic genius. You ever listen to Radio Bam? (You should easily be able to find all the shows up for download by googling it) - Dico is on there most of the time and kind of hosts the chaos ... the only annoying thing is Novak - all he ever does is talk about heroin and "banging chicks out" - he has like 3 things to talk about, so he's a broken record. When he shuts-the-fudge-up it's a pretty funny show.

Bam having a rant about Tom Cruise two weeks ago saying "tape on a dick" was hilarious (probably better cos that bloody Novak wasn't there riding any coat tails.)

I just wish Bam would stop with all the heartagrams over everything he owns - ENOUGH already. There's far too many "bamagram" fans out there.