PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion - All this FPS adventuring...

Neil
31-Mar-2006, 05:16 PM
I'm all for advances in graphics but I miss the days of:-
a) Controlling a group of people.
b) Controlling combat in step time.

Combat seems such a weak spot now in these modern adventure games...

Danny
31-Mar-2006, 05:35 PM
meh games are becomeing interactive books/films more and more these days so somethings gotta wane as it happens.

Tullaryx
31-Mar-2006, 05:36 PM
The combat in Oblivion is actually pretty good since there's no weird, mathematical calculations and d20 dice involve to see whether you hit or missed. If your weapon and/or spell lands on the target they will incur damage. Even though there's alot of hack and slash involved, those are the players who will constantly die. This is the first rpg --- and game with melee combat mechanics --- where the block option is actually easy to use and very helpful.

Plus, the type of things you just mentioned seems more prevalent in JPRGs than those developed and released here in NA.

Neil
31-Mar-2006, 05:48 PM
The combat in Oblivion is actually pretty good since there's no weird, mathematical calculations and d20 dice involve to see whether you hit or missed. If your weapon and/or spell lands on the target they will incur damage. Even though there's alot of hack and slash involved, those are the players who will constantly die. This is the first rpg --- and game with melee combat mechanics --- where the block option is actually easy to use and very helpful.

Plus, the type of things you just mentioned seems more prevalent in JPRGs than those developed and released here in NA.

But I kinda like the idea of defining a formation, and trying to keep 1-2 warriors at the front, and archers/magicians at the back etc...

Step time combat definately has its plus points!

Tullaryx
31-Mar-2006, 05:49 PM
But I kinda like the idea of defining a formation, and trying to keep 1-2 warriors at the front, and archers/magicians at the back etc...

Step time combat definately has its plus points!

Well, do not fret. There's still great rpgs like that. Best example being the Suikoden and Shadow Hearts series. :)

EvilNed
16-Apr-2006, 04:39 PM
The Elder Scrolls games has always been about singular, first person combat. Complaining about it is like complaining about there being no spaceship combat in WarCraft.

Neil
17-Apr-2006, 06:23 PM
The Elder Scrolls games has always been about singular, first person combat. Complaining about it is like complaining about there being no spaceship combat in WarCraft.

I was using Oblivion as an example for my my post...

Not getting that is sort of like someone not getting that...

p2501
17-Apr-2006, 06:32 PM
I was using Oblivion as an example for my my post...

Nice.

i bought the Game of the year edition of Elder for Xbox last year, it's was completely unimpressive. I prefer RPG's to be somewhat engaging without boging me down in the nitty gritty details of everything (weight management for one). so Oblivion looks about as interesting as watching raisins be made.

Of the upside the RTS Quake game is loooking pretty bad ass thus far.

Neil
17-Apr-2006, 06:39 PM
Nice.

i bought the Game of the year edition of Elder for Xbox last year, it's was completely unimpressive. I prefer RPG's to be somewhat engaging without boging me down in the nitty gritty details of everything (weight management for one). so Oblivion looks about as interesting as watching raisins be made.

Of the upside the RTS Quake game is loooking pretty bad ass thus far.

I'm quite impressed so far!

p2501
17-Apr-2006, 07:29 PM
aparently it will be playable at e3, so this time next month we'll see...

DjfunkmasterG
17-Apr-2006, 07:31 PM
I heard Obliv... is very graphic intensive. I woul dlike to see what this 7900GT could do with it during a huge battle. :D

Tullaryx
17-Apr-2006, 10:00 PM
I'm quite impressed so far!

What character and class are you and what level? :)

CoinReturn
17-Apr-2006, 11:30 PM
I just finished the Dark Brotherhood quest line, best time I've had in the game so far. I also got the skeleton key, so no more lockpicks (finally!). I'm playing as a level 19 vampire Orc, and my class is Nightblade. I was born under the sign of the Warrior.

EvilNed
17-Apr-2006, 11:41 PM

Not really, from the original post it wasn't that obvious. :clown:

I had a hard time choosing a smiley, so the clown one will have to do.

Tullaryx
18-Apr-2006, 02:38 PM
I just finished the Dark Brotherhood quest line, best time I've had in the game so far. I also got the skeleton key, so no more lockpicks (finally!). I'm playing as a level 19 vampire Orc, and my class is Nightblade. I was born under the sign of the Warrior.

If you haven't closed the Great Gate and finished the Main Quest, I suggest you hold off from doing so. Take time in doing the main quest and you'll have a dozen or more Oblivion Gates randomly popping up across the land. This is good in that you can collect Sigils which you can use to enchant weapons and armor.

Danny
19-Apr-2006, 01:01 AM
The combat in Oblivion is actually pretty good since there's no weird, mathematical calculations and d20 dice involve to see whether you hit or missed. .

woah there your gonna send some of the older users into dreaded "dungeons and dragons" flashbacks, from which they shant recover what ho!