PDA

View Full Version : Sonys UMDs DOA

erisi236
31-Mar-2006, 06:35 PM
heres a shock :rolleyes:

sony (http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1538)

thecoldwarrior
31-Mar-2006, 06:40 PM
Duh, I could have told you that was one of the worst ideas before they came out. No im not special, I think everyoine knew this. That is everyone but the guy who sold sony on the idea. Wonder where hes working now?

Tullaryx
31-Mar-2006, 06:51 PM
What is it with Sony and their proprietary formats that just seem to die: Betamax, Mini-Disc, and now UMDs. Doesn't bode well for how Blu-Ray DVDs.

Rottedfreak
01-Apr-2006, 05:39 AM
It's their lies that kill them. They ran a recent survey about Blu Ray and HD DVD that played on numbers (ie the fact Blu ray can store 50GB and HD DVD stores 30GB) people naturally went for Blu Ray but what they weren't told was that Blu Ray will cost more then HD DVD. Not to mention this recent BS they are spreading that the next gen consoles require Blu Ray to store 'complex' games on.

MinionZombie
01-Apr-2006, 09:41 AM
lol

I read about this on ActionTrip.com and oh did I larf. I too saw that coming from a mile off, as soon as I heard about UMD I thought "that's the stupidest idea I've ever heard of". Honestly, who wants to watch a blockbuster, BIG action movie on a screen the size of a postage stamp, with speakers the sound of an even smaller postage stamp. It's not like you could even play UMD on your normal DVD player and big screen TV. That's why portable DVD works - you slap in a normal disc you could play anywhere.

lol @ Sony ... what a bunch of flids.

Deadman_Deluxe
01-Apr-2006, 02:29 PM
What is it with Sony and their proprietary formats that just seem to die: Betamax, Mini-Disc, and now UMDs. Doesn't bode well for how Blu-Ray DVDs.

Mini Disc is alive and well ... not as common as the CD player obviously, but then it was only designed to replace those dirty analogue cassettes ... which it did to great effect.

Eyebiter
02-Apr-2006, 03:35 AM
Mini Disc rocks in a digital camera. One CD will hold over 100 pictures.

DeadJonas190
03-Apr-2006, 03:12 AM
Mini Disc rocks in a digital camera. One CD will hold over 100 pictures.

Heh, I hope that is sarcasm.

p2501
03-Apr-2006, 03:31 PM
Heh, I hope that is sarcasm.

**** no i was offered alomst $500 for my old Mindisc recorder a few week back.

I know a ton of video editing people in various schools that user Minidisc as a preferred transfer medium for their audiofiles.

also there is a parently a way to use the transfer process on a minidisc player to strip away the copyright protection on certain files.

on the other side. while i like the format for UMD, the price points on the movies is what killed them. nothing else was a factorance. if sony had setup a program where the movies were $10-15 a pop then would have sold a ton. likewise i think the $40-50 hit per game is what's holding PSP back.

i'm willing to bet money right now that Sony is going to follow Itunes. since they're already prepping to impliment a market place for the PSP to download PS1 games. i'm willing to bet they're going to offer movies as an adjunct to this service. my guess is they'll allow users to download older movies and phase in new releases in timing with the standard "DVD release window". the real kicker is going to be if they start to offer original programming to psp users, in an a'la carte` manner.

i'd kill for eps of 24 or galactica on the PSP.

another thing, and i'll have to dig up the link.

sony's "memory stick" format is getting a whole lot denser. they've intro-ed a new "size" for memory stick that's about a 50% reduction in physical size, while retaining the available memory storage.

this adds further boyancy to the rumors that Samsung and Sony have developed memory stick units with a capacity in excess of 8-10 gigs.

for a long time i've been waiting for sony to use the memory stick as an "all in one" swapable format for micro hard drives. that way you could share content between your computer, PSP, and eventaully the PS3.

i think sony is finally moving towards that end, and since UM doesn't tie in along the chain, it's being ejected.