PDA

View Full Version : spaced

Danny
31-Mar-2006, 06:37 PM
i just thought id post this for those not in the know for anyone whos loved the sahun of the dead film, you need to check out the uk show spaced written by and starring the same guys, so get a bittorrent if your a scab or pick up the £15 boxset, its got loads of ref's to star wars and resident evil adn stuff, basically if you like sahun of the dead, OR kevin smiths films, you should liek this.

heres a few quotes:

"i once punched a guy in the face for saying hawk the slayer was rubbish once"

"good on yer"

"yeah thanks- but the points is tim i was defending the fantasy genre with terminal intensity ,when what i should have said was, dad your right, but lets give krull a try and discuss it later.
-------------------------------------------------

"i dressed up like an elderly arab woman once"

"did you?"

"i didnt HAVE to."
-------------------------------------------------

"three star wars films later"

(tim weeps at the screen)

"an entire empire...brought down by furry little creatures.."

"see thats what i told you, but did you notice the most improtant person there?"

"who?"

"well...-proceeds to explain how the imperial shooting at c3po and r2-d2 in the pod ,if he hadnt missed none of it would have happened-"

"chaos theory"

"what?"

"a mathematical equasion, capable of fortelling any events as a preditermined formula"

"so...somewhere in the vastness of the universe theres a formula for telling the future?"

-tims face raises as he realises something amazing-

"o-oh my god!"

"...what?"

"ive got some ****ing jaffa cakes in my coat pocket!"

"yeah!!,ooo!"

"oh mama ,oh daddy, lets all go play kabadi".

---------------------------------------------------

so check it out.

heres a link to the fan site thats so big it got made into the official site.

http://www.spaced-out.org.uk/

apparently the guys from shaun are making a new comedy set in ''darkest sommerest'' with nick frost and simon pegg again playing the leads, so im allready gonna see it!.

and for those who like spaced (and i have a seaking suspicion minion zombies a closet spaced fan) then you should get a laugh outta this guy.

i give you bilbo himslef!

http://muse.cream.org/bill/isit.html

again some of these star simon pegg ,his early years.

i better get some rep points for this you lazy bastards,lol.:lol:

axlish
31-Mar-2006, 07:08 PM
One of my favorite all time series. Pick up the R2 boxset of the complete series, really worth every penny. Neil, what are you waiting for? :D

Mortis
13-Apr-2006, 07:28 PM
I screwed around and didn't order it before they sold out, but Amazon.co.uk says they'll have it again on 7/3/06. That's the cheapest I've seen it.

Danny
13-Apr-2006, 07:30 PM
trust me its well worht it, easily one of the top 5 sitcoms of all time, along with blackadder, red dwarf, fawlty towers (god knows why) and freinds.

its easily one of my fav shows, i even bught the soundtrack that damn club song from the fave episode gets stuck in my head all the time, and thats coming from a HIM fan,lol.:lol:

DeadCentral
13-Apr-2006, 07:33 PM
A friend of mine over in the UK sent me a copy of the first 2 seasons, Box set... great stuff!!!

bassman
13-Apr-2006, 08:50 PM
I've wanted to see it for a long time but don't have a R2 or multi-region DVD player...

I guess I'm stuck waiting until they make a R1 set....

Danny
13-Apr-2006, 09:12 PM
A friend of mine over in the UK sent me a copy of the first 2 seasons, Box set... great stuff!!!

there were only two seasons ever made, but its still a cult classic, and since the second series dealt with topics like tims hate of the phantom menace, its too big a gap to make a second series, though if you watch till after the end of the documentarys credits you see tim adn daisy come out of the flat for a minute with a baby girl, who tim wants to call luke,lol.

Daisy
14-Apr-2006, 12:01 AM
spaced is one of the best shows ever. ever.

axlish
14-Apr-2006, 12:12 AM
Awww, cute name Daisy ;)

Daisy
14-Apr-2006, 12:52 AM
Awww, cute name Daisy ;)

Why thank you!

bassman
14-Apr-2006, 02:16 PM
Banned because of a name? Wow, things are getting harsh around here.:confused:

axlish
14-Apr-2006, 02:21 PM
If you must know it was a case of double identity.

Danny
15-Apr-2006, 10:26 PM
huh?

MinionZombie
16-Apr-2006, 11:01 AM
Two accounts to one user - there have been a couple of cases, and as per the rules, more than one account per user is not allowed.

ProfessorChaos
04-Oct-2010, 02:32 AM
didn't think it'd be worth starting a new thread over, but i acquired both seasons of this show and i gotta say, it's fucking brilliant. so many hilarious pop-culture references i lost count...and they're not like family guy-style references where it doesn't fit in with the plot at all, these actually are very relevant to whatever's going on within the show.

brilliant series, hard to believe it only aired for two seasons. believe the hype, if you've not seen this yet, find a way to check it out. just blew through both seasons this weekend, wishing there was more of the series to watch.

ProfessorChaos
04-Oct-2010, 02:33 AM
didn't think it'd be worth starting a new thread over, but i acquired both seasons of this show and i gotta say, it's fucking brilliant. so many hilarious pop-culture references i lost count...and they're not like family guy-style references where it doesn't fit in with the plot at all, these actually are very relevant to whatever's going on within the show.

brilliant series, hard to believe it only aired for two seasons. believe the hype, if you've not seen this yet, find a way to check it out. just blew through both seasons this weekend, wishing there was more of the series to watch.

EDIT: holy fuck, this thread hasn't had a post in 4 1/2 years!:eek:

MinionZombie
04-Oct-2010, 08:27 AM
Welcome to the fold Prof. :cool:

Glad you enjoyed the show, it truly is a spiffing series. :)

ProfessorChaos
05-Oct-2010, 03:36 AM
no doubt, man. i seriously loved that show, had a great time watching both seasons this weekend. like i said, brilliant stuff. i had goosebumps at moments (like the end of the episode about daisy's birthday that finishes with the empire strikes back homage complete with star wars theme), other times i was laughing so hard i was out of breath, some moments i was totally engrossed in the characters and their plights, almost cheering at their triumphs....it was that good.

been a while since i've watched shaun of the dead, think i'm gonna pop that in sometime in the next couple of days. seems like there's a lot of humor and whatnot that i may have missed on by not having seen spaced prior to watching it. i do recall daisy showing up as yvonne with her band of cohorts (including marsh the landlady) who are almost mirror images of shaun and his gang.

i *cough* found the series online, but saw that they have the whole series as a dvd box set (region 1, which is great) and was thinking of adding it to the shelf as a proud member of the prof's media collection. anyone got the set, and if so, what sort of bonus features are included?

and how is this thread in the "dead discussion" forum?

MinionZombie
05-Oct-2010, 09:58 AM
Prof - I assume the R1 set is identical to the R2 discs, but with the addition of extra commentaries. The discs have the usual things like deleted scenes and stuff, but the Out-take reels for both series are pure fried gold. I've re-watched them several times each. In the UK there was a 3-disc boxset put out which had a feature length documentary called "Skip to the End", so perhaps the R1 has that on it too.

bassman
05-Oct-2010, 12:45 PM
i *cough* found the series online, but saw that they have the whole series as a dvd box set (region 1, which is great) and was thinking of adding it to the shelf as a proud member of the prof's media collection. anyone got the set, and if so, what sort of bonus features are included?

I've got it. It's really a GREAT set. It has everything MZ mentioned.... feature length documentary, deleted scenes, outtakes, refernce marker, original UK commentaries, and exclusive R1 commentaries with guests Quintin Tarantino, Diablo Cody, Kevin Smith, Patton Oswalt, Matt Stone, and Bill Hader. It's definitely worth the purchase. I've watched through it MANY times.

You mentioned that now you wanted to go back and watch Shaun after seeing Spaced.....I did the same and actually noticed that there are actually a bunch of things lifted from the show. Can't think of them all now, but the whole "dogs can't look up" thing came from the episode where Colin runs away to the neighbor's house. Frost swears up and down on the commentary track that dogs can't look up.:lol: And of course there is Tyres in the gang of zombies....

MinionZombie
05-Oct-2010, 03:13 PM
And when Frost says "now how's about that for a slice of fried gold?" when he lays out the drinking plan for the evening after Shaun gets dumped - it's a more subtle reference as "fried gold" is graffitied on the toilet wall in the series 2 episode where they go out for drinks (and Daisy has a stew on), and that cookery student kid gets offended by Tim's "too orangey for crows" reference. :p

They also talk about it on the commentary for Spaced somewhere ... not sure if it's referenced directly in the show in the dialogue though, been a while since I watched Spaced all through.

In short, Prof - I'd highly recommend you getting the DVD.

ProfessorChaos
05-Oct-2010, 03:18 PM
oh dude, trust me, it's on the christmas list.

Legion2213
05-Oct-2010, 04:58 PM
They even referenced "Johnny Alpha" from 2000AD in Spaced...it is THAT good. :cool:

I have the three disc special edition, it is a thing of beauty. :)

As an aside, I watched all three of my "Black Books" series a few weeks ago...the episode with Simon Pegg as the deranged book store manager is top draw!

AcesandEights
05-Oct-2010, 07:14 PM
digging up an old thread here

You're search function foo is not too shabby, either!

bassman
05-Oct-2010, 07:19 PM
They even referenced "Johnny Alpha" from 2000AD in Spaced...it is THAT good. :cool:

I think the guy that draws all of Tim's work in the show is actually a popular 2000AD artist. Seems like I remember them mentioning that, anyway...

That was my first thought. How the hell did he find this old thread when right now the search can't find a thread from a month ago?

ProfessorChaos
05-Oct-2010, 07:26 PM
it's a fluke. i don't know how i got lucky with that one....but yeah, a 4 year-old thread popped up with no problem, while i can't find threads i started six weeks ago using every damn word i recall typing in the search box...

wish they'd fix that, and i bet bassman is too....just sitting around shining his search nazi badge with a bottle of jack daniels on the table before him like some old laid-off cop jonesing to bust someone's head with a nightstick...

bassman
05-Oct-2010, 07:37 PM
:lol:

"the search isn't working!!!"

http://www.erdman.cc/images/fightclub.gif

Danny
05-Oct-2010, 08:10 PM

the search function only shows up threads made after the switch to this new forum upgrade, for the most part.

MikePizzoff
06-Oct-2010, 04:21 AM
the search function only shows up threads made after the switch to this new forum upgrade, for the most part.

With my experience, it only gives me threads dating 2006 and earlier.:confused:

ProfessorChaos
06-Oct-2010, 04:53 AM
yeah, same here, mike. most times i do a search it's bringing back threads form 2006...that's how i found this thread.

...meanwhile, andy is off playing dead rising 2.....:p

Danny
06-Oct-2010, 05:41 AM
With my experience, it only gives me threads dating 2006 and earlier.:confused:

Wonder why, my account on here is only a month later in its creation but i get ones from only recently.

I assume theres some other variables involved but it seems the search engine allots you only results from a certain time frame, said timeframe depending on some undiscovered prerequisite you and i would seem to differ on.