PDA

View Full Version : More replies below current depth

Philly_SWAT
02-Apr-2006, 03:52 AM
Is there some way to change my settings to where I never see this message, and it just shows all messages all the way to the bottom? Or is this a set function of this type of board?

Andy
02-Apr-2006, 04:04 AM
you mean you how many posts it shows on a single page?

Philly_SWAT
02-Apr-2006, 10:27 AM
I dont know if that is what I mean or not. What I mean is.....in the little box above the posts, where it shows the "reply tree" up above, like here is has the subject I posted, then it shows your reply intented from mine, and after I post this it will show up intented to yours, etc. and if someone replies directly to your post, and not this one I am typing, it skips down and shows their post intented to yours.

After a while of this, it then says "more replies below current depth." Sometimes even after clicking on that, you may have to click on several more of those messages before you can see the whole "tree". I think that this is a separate question of how many posts show on a single page. I hope I am explaining myself correctly.

Cereval
02-Apr-2006, 04:45 PM
After a while of this, it then says "more replies below current depth." Sometimes even after clicking on that, you may have to click on several more of those messages before you can see the whole "tree". I think that this is a separate question of how many posts show on a single page. I hope I am explaining myself correctly.

I know what you're saying ... I find it a little annoying as well. Even when the post trees would swallow the page on Loom, I would prefer it to having to click-click-click just to see the replies.

Andy
02-Apr-2006, 07:09 PM
im pretty much certain vBulletin was designed with the linear view in mind, ad the threaded view of a forums is quickly dying out (this site being one of the only ones ive seen that still uses it).

the reason behind the posts-per-page is in linear you view 15 replies at a time by default, i dont want to turn this limit off as imagine the strain it would put on the server if you were trying to view a single page with 100 replies on it? (plus avatars, plus signiture images, plus attachements..)

MinionZombie
02-Apr-2006, 07:49 PM
Yeh it bugs the poopy out of me too...grrr.

It's why I've given up on some threads, I only continue to look at them through email notifications I get ... which is sometimes sporadic in its reliability...hmmm.

Philly_SWAT
02-Apr-2006, 10:27 PM
Hey Andy, you said

imagine the strain it would put on the server if you were trying to view a single page with 100 replies on it? (plus avatars, plus signiture images, plus attachements..)

That is not what I am saying. Not to view all of the posts, but just in the little box at the top of a thread, view the entire post tree. That way, there would be no overload of sig pics, etc. I dont think I would even want to see every post if there was a crapload of them, but if you could see the whole tree at the same time, you could choose which posts to click on.

Andy
03-Apr-2006, 03:50 PM
i know what your saying, but the page limits work globally. i cant set one limit for each style. so if i take the limit off for you, it takes the limit off for people who are using linear view aswell.

what dont you try using linear? it works alot better and easier... that tree thing annoys me :|