PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the new posts going to?

capncnut
27-Jul-2007, 10:16 PM
Almost everyday now for weeks, everytime I log in I see that there's X hundred amount of new posts per day. But when I hit New Posts it keeps saying "sorry, no new posts" and everything that was highlighted ten seconds before are no longer highlighted.

I seriously do not have the time anymore to wade through the top 10 in each category with the hopes that I'm actually seeing a new post and not one that I've previously checked. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening?

DjfunkmasterG
27-Jul-2007, 10:42 PM
there is... read the forums more. I don't worry about new posts, I search and if i see a subject that interests me I say my piece and search more. I guess you noticed lately I ain't posting much. :p

capncnut
28-Jul-2007, 05:48 AM
I don't worry about new posts, I search and if i see a subject that interests me I say my piece and search more. I guess you noticed lately I ain't posting much. :p
I hear that, me too... I was once averaging 50+ per day, now it's rare I post 5.

Philly_SWAT
28-Jul-2007, 06:36 AM
This is why I liked the way the "thread tree" on the old forums looked better. Depending on your browser settings, anything you had already read the links would be a different color. That way you could see what was a new post. This was especially helpful in a very long thread, with a lot of branches, with new posts in different branches. You didnt have to wade thru a bunch of "more replies" links just to see that there were no posts in that particular branch. It was also more condusive to being able to read the posts in the order of the branch they were in, not with several branches mixed up together in a single display.

MinionZombie
28-Jul-2007, 10:50 AM
Peaks and troughs, we're currently in a trough, but a couple of weeks back it was a phat peak alright.

One reason that the highlighted new posts are suddenly not "there" (highlighted) is a period of inaction. Like, you've got a window open on the forum and there's highlighted new posts, but you go off to your email or whatever for however long (10 minutes or something) and the forum remains "inactive", after a period of inaction, the highlighted new posts are no longer highlighted.

Has happened to me a couple of times because I keep forgetting about it. :p

capncnut
28-Jul-2007, 03:33 PM
One reason that the highlighted new posts are suddenly not "there" (highlighted) is a period of inaction.
I'm talking the MOMENT you log in. When you punch in your username you're taken to Forum Home where it tells you how many new posts there have been (in this case X hundred), so I hit New Posts and it says, "There have been no new posts, click here to see posts from the last 24 hours."

Bang! Everything that was once highlighted is no more. That happens to me 95% of the time I come here and it's mildly irritating to say the least.

MinionZombie
28-Jul-2007, 05:11 PM
That's an entirely new one on me, hasn't happened to me before.

Have you tried making that forum remember you, so that when you visit the forum you don't log in - see if that changes anything, so that next time you come and there's new posts, see if they stay highlighted whilst you're active on the forum.

capncnut
28-Jul-2007, 06:21 PM
Yeah, I do that every time I log in. I'll be honest, the last two times it's been okay but 95% of the time it happens. Only started a little while back too.