PDA

View Full Version : George A. Romero's "Land of the Dead" 20 years from now...

Creepshow
05-Apr-2006, 06:50 PM
Do you think the film will be more appreciated by horror genre fans 20 years or so from now? Kind of like what happened with "Day"?

I mean fan reaction wasn't amazing for Land right away, do you think this will change as time goes on? Will Land be seen to be as much of a classic as Night Dawn and Day?

Do many people hate Land just because it's modern and up to date?

What are your thoughts on this?

bassman
05-Apr-2006, 07:10 PM
Yeah....I think it will turn out that way. Some people will continue to hate it for personal reasons, i'm sure, but for the most part it will be more accepted as it gets older.

Tullaryx
05-Apr-2006, 08:04 PM
I would be in the camp that the film will gain more acceptance from the hardcore fans as time goes by. I still remember the years after Day was released how fans hated the film. But now everyone either accepts it for what it was meant to be or loves it to the point of supplanting Night and Dawn as best of the series.

glsjaw
05-Apr-2006, 10:28 PM
do you think in 20 years Hopper and Leguizamo will be doing Conventions along with Big Daddy and Pillsbury

MinionZombie
05-Apr-2006, 11:01 PM
The film will definately achieve the same status that Day did. When Day came out it bombed and fans were calling for blood to be spilled because GAR didn't deliver Dawn of the Dead 2, same thing happened with Land of the Dead ... so in ten or twenty years it'll be sitting pretty alongside the other three ... and hopefully by then we'll have a fifth film in the saga to celebrate.

panic
06-Apr-2006, 06:53 AM
Obviously, only time will tell, but I just don't think Land will be held the same regard as the orginal trilogy in 2026. This will be especially true if GAR does get to make a 5th film. In a scenario where GAR rushes #5 as an immediate sequel to Land I think fans will come to view LOTD as the beginning of the great "cash in." Unfortunately, this is probably the best case scenario for those that want another GAR zombie film -- I just don't see GAR making another movie 10 years from now...

~panic

Svengoolie
06-Apr-2006, 07:24 AM
Personally, I think it'll be the "Godfather Part III" of zombie flicks...:confused:

Deadman_Deluxe
06-Apr-2006, 09:50 AM
Do you think the film will be more appreciated by horror genre fans 20 years or so from now? Kind of like what happened with "Day"?

Yes.

I mean fan reaction wasn't amazing for Land right away, do you think this will change as time goes on?

Well so far as the world media is concerned, fan reaction WAS pretty amazing right away OUTSIDE of amerika. Will that change in time? I doubt it.

Will Land be seen to be as much of a classic as Night Dawn and Day?

Nope. Too much time passed in between Day and Land to relate them so close, and the style of Land is noticably different.

Nope.

What are your thoughts on this?

Read above.

Creepshow
06-Apr-2006, 01:02 PM
Well so far as the world media is concerned, fan reaction WAS pretty amazing right away OUTSIDE of amerika. Will that change in time? I doubt it.

Media reaction maybe, but I noticed that horror fan reaction was really not that great.

bassman
06-Apr-2006, 01:35 PM
Personally, I think it'll be the "Godfather Part III" of zombie flicks...:confused:

"Godfather Part III" is a good flick, man. Though I do understand the analogy you're making....Not as near as good as the first two. And in the "Dead" films case, not as near as good as the first three.

Harold W Brown
06-Apr-2006, 01:40 PM
"Godfather Part III" is a good flick, man. Though I do understand the analogy you're making....Not as near as good as the first two. And in the "Dead" films case, not as near as good as the first three.

Does that make Big Daddy the Sofia Coppola of the Dead films....?

(Hey, my PC just came up with a "Beagle virus" warning on this page. Just letting ya know...)

bassman
06-Apr-2006, 01:48 PM
Does that make Big Daddy the Sofia Coppola of the Dead films....?

(Hey, my PC just came up with a "Beagle virus" warning on this page. Just letting ya know...)

Yeah....she wasn't too good at acting. She's a much better director. It's in the blood, I guess...

I did think she did an excellent job with her last scene though. That kind of puzzled yet scared, "....Dad". I also love Pacino's reaction....great actor.

MinionZombie
06-Apr-2006, 02:25 PM
Public reaction is subjective I think - personally everyone I've spoken to about it loved the movie, and all the people that were there opening night in the cinema were loving it ... except the 3 people who walked out (they didn't get in to see Revolver and couldn't handle intestines).

Svengoolie
06-Apr-2006, 07:26 PM
I think it would depend on who you're asking, MZ.

If you ask the members of this forum what they thought about Land, the overwhelming majority would be in support of it (for whatever reason); but, if you went to some of the sites that are dead-icated to zombies in general, and NOT the GAR flicks, you'll see a much different reaction.

Ditto for that theater--the people there KNEW what they were getting into, for the most part. So, of course their response would be positive.

As for this bit from bassman...

I've honestly never come across someone who's tried to defend "The Godfather Part III" in any way. Most true fans of that series regard it as the chunk of crap that it is, and repudate it.

I think that's how Land will wind up in the years to come--people might still remember and cherish the first three installments of the Dead series, but will pretty much ignore Land...the same way I think the first three Star Wars installments will ultimately fade into oblivion in favor of Episodes 4-6.

As of right now, most fans can only really agree on NOTLD and Dawn...and most "normal" folks haven't even seen Day or Land--so I'd lay five to one that, if remembered at all, Land will only be remembered by the fans, and cherished by a small minority of those fans.

But, only time will tell.:D

bassman
06-Apr-2006, 08:24 PM
I've honestly never come across someone who's tried to defend "The Godfather Part III" in any way. Most true fans of that series regard it as the chunk of crap that it is, and repudate it.

Yeah, that's why I said it's nothing compared to the first two, but as a stand-alone film, it's pretty decent. Would the "Godfather" series have been okay without it? Definitely. Does it make the series worse? Ehh....not really. But it definitely doesn't help. Except to see the end of Micheal Corleone....but that probably would have been better if left up to the imagination.

panic
06-Apr-2006, 09:52 PM
Overwhelming is probably a strong word here, Svengoolie. There's a sizable minority here that actively dislikes Land. As has been mentioned, this is similar to those who rejected Day upon its initial release. As you say, only time will tell if Land eventually attains the same stature as Day.

... If you ask the members of this forum what they thought about Land, the overwhelming majority would be in support of it (for whatever reason) ...

Svengoolie
07-Apr-2006, 12:11 AM
Re-read the last bit you quoted, panic.

panic
07-Apr-2006, 12:49 AM
I'm confused.

I was just suggesting that overwhelming majority (~95-99%) is probably too high an estimate of the proportion of HPOTDers that "support" LOTD.
True, its a majority, but proabably in the range of 75-80%.

Whatever, no worries.

erisi236
08-Apr-2006, 04:03 PM
I just wonder what format we'll be watching LotD on in 20 years :confused:

Deadman_Deluxe
08-Apr-2006, 04:18 PM
I just wonder what format we'll be watching LotD on in 20 years :confused:

TLA Direct Eye Laser Vision Implant (iDELV) :D

You can store up to 250 hours of your favourite movies at the highest quality on a small chip embedded in the back of your neck. You just have to close your eyes and choose your movie and/or scene by "thinking" your way through the interactive user menu and "thinking" select/play.

Welcome to the future ... bitch!

MKULTRA1138
09-Apr-2006, 05:16 AM
I think Land of the Dead will definetly be looked at as a product of it's time 20 years from now. I remember watching Hurricane Katrina coverage and thinking of the under class that lived on the streets in LOTD. Plus the elite citizens of Fiddlers Green is obviously a knock on the current administration. I just hope we're all here twenty years from now to discuss this!

OddDNA
09-Apr-2006, 06:01 PM
I think it will always be seen as far sub par in the Romero Zombie Universe.

I didnt like Day at first but I do more now, but I think that is the fact that I am older now and dont mind as much dialouge.

I just think the 1st three were films while Land is just a zombie movie.

I think the non-USA world liked it so much because it was an obvious thumbed nose at out government. and USA's friends are few and far between now, it is en vouge to bash the US.

But I think 10-20 years from now Land will be forgotten like House of the dead unless you are talking to a GAR fan.

I think people didnt like Day because they wanted an action packed cartoon sytle Good vs Evil( in the sense you know who you are cheering for) Dawn of the dead type movie, which they didnt get.

I think people didnt like Land because it was a cute, teeny-booper tongue in cheek cookie cutter zombie movie.

erisi236
11-Apr-2006, 07:20 PM
I remember watching Hurricane Katrina coverage and thinking of the under class that lived on the streets in LOTD.

I thought the same thing, a bunch of people who rely on the Government to provide everything and are too dumb to save themselves when the **** hits the fan.

tho' I don't think you saw it in THOSE terms :p

EvilNed
15-Apr-2006, 01:57 PM
But I think 10-20 years from now Land will be forgotten like House of the dead unless you are talking to a GAR fan.

Kind of like Day of the Dead is now forgotten, unless you're talking to a horror or GAR fan?

In any case, I agree with you on that part. Only horror fans and GAR fans will remember Land.

Svengoolie
15-Apr-2006, 02:35 PM
Kind of like Day of the Dead is now forgotten, unless you're talking to a horror or GAR fan?

In any case, I agree with you on that part. Only horror fans and GAR fans will remember Land.

I think that pretty much hits the zombie in the brain.

With the exception of horror freaks and deadheads, probably 99% of all the people I know have never heard of Day of the Dead and don't know who GAR is.....even the ones from Pennsylvania and the Burgh itself!

BUT--almost everyone I've ever met has seen NOTLD, and at least has heard of Dawn. So, I think that 20 years from now, the original NOTLD will retain its status as a horror icon...and the original Dawn will be the follow-up that horror fans will suggest to their friends if they're looking for a great forgotten/unknown flick.

MinionZombie
15-Apr-2006, 08:56 PM
pfft, Land won't be forgotten. Simply for the fact it's a GAR zombie film it won't be forgotten - it's part of his legend.

"Dead & Breakfast" - THAT will be forgotten.

Exatreides
17-Apr-2006, 11:39 AM
Well since I like it already, In 20 years I should like it alot more.

DjfunkmasterG
20-Apr-2006, 10:55 AM

Absolutely f*cking not. In 20 years people are going to find it even cheesier than they do now.

I mean fan reaction wasn't amazing for Land right away, do you think this will change as time goes on? Will Land be seen to be as much of a classic as Night Dawn and Day?

Land will never receive classic status. Night, Dawn, and Day are completely different films from LOTD. Anyone who believes this will be a classic is just blowing smoke up their own arse.

Nope, people hate LOTD because it just plain sucks.

roger_19
03-May-2006, 05:59 AM
I think that it's already becoming more accepted. when I first watched land in theaters I liked it a lot despite the bad reviews. I still thought that the movie needed something. but after multiple dvd viewings It's becoming more acceptable for me. and most of the people that I've met like land of the dead. these people are zombie fans. only 2 guys have told me that they don't like land of the dead. and to my surprise, a friend of mine who isn't exactly into zombies, told me that she considers land of the dead to be the best or one of the best zombie movies ever. land of the dead is going up with time. at first people didn't let it breathe and go up because they were expecting another night of the living dead or dawn of the dead. george romero is not parasitic of his prequels. He makes each sequel different in style. the same thing happened with day of the dead. people were expecting something similar to dawn of the dead but they got something different and they weren't ready for it.

MinionZombie
03-May-2006, 09:17 AM
Damn straight.

All my friends who have seen Land of the Dead really liked it. One of my mates, who is also really into zombie movies (and who fave movie is, like me, Dawn of the Dead - ORIGINAL) and we went to see Land together and we both had a blast and think the flick is great. lol, he was proper jealous when I had the DVD 3 weeks after it came to UK cinemas, ha!

EvilNed
03-May-2006, 11:02 AM
My friends only complaint was that he was kinda tired of all the "ride into the sunset" endings that Romero does. :p