PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on The Zombie Diaries...

MinionZombie
26-Aug-2007, 01:58 PM
Well, I just finished watching the film and might I say, jolly good show. :)

It's great to finally get a proper UK zombie film (28 Days/Weeks Later doesn't count - they're rage infected humans :p), it makes it all the more realistic for us Brits (and will hopefully provide international audiences with another viewpoint, rather than the oft-American viewpoint in the zombie genre - not that I'm bitching about that, but you know...). I think it gets to a point whereby with zombie films almost always coming from America, they lose any sense of realism because it's kind of a "default setting", if that makes any sense...but there's so few zombie films set in the UK, and especially presented in this sort of way, that it packs much more punch and terror.

TZD - a fresh location for a zombie film, a different society in which it all takes place, and the way in which you see mumblings of sh*t hitting the fan throughout before things get increasingly worse, make it a great flick.

The gore on offer is rather tasty, and leads to a some rather f*cked up scenes...the sort of scenes that when you think about the surrounding intricacies or reasonings behind the actions, it just makes it all the more messed up.

the point-blank shooting of a dying child, and the discovery of one of the female characters from early on, now a zombie, tied up naked in a farm building, most likely for perverse fulfillment by one of the other characters - being the two key messed up scenes for me personally

My only real gripe with the film is the delivery of some of the dialogue, at times it didn't feel as real as it could have, or I felt there were a few moments where there were gaps between different people's lines. So at times I felt the dialogue wasn't always delivered as realistically as it could have been, as in it felt staged at these moments...but it's really only a minor gripe that isn't carried throughout the entire film, just on occasion.

Over all the film is great, I really enjoyed it and there's some really messed up moments or even downright scary moments, made all the more powerful due to the way it was filmed.

I've been through the deleted scenes, and I can understand why many of them were taken out, they felt a bit stagey. While there's content within those scenes that was good, I guess just the way the scenes came out it wouldn't have worked in the main film.

Next up I'll go and check out the making of, which I rather look forward to and then in due course, the commentaries.

I'd definitely recommend for zombie fans to pimp out the cash for a copy, it's worth it. :cool::)

DjfunkmasterG
27-Aug-2007, 11:32 PM
Well, I just finished watching the film and might I say, jolly good show. :)

It's great to finally get a proper UK zombie film (28 Days/Weeks Later doesn't count - they're rage infected humans :p),

ummm... What about SHAUN of the DEAD?

MinionZombie
28-Aug-2007, 12:13 AM
Well, Shaun of the Dead was a zombie comedy...so yes that's a UK zombie flick, and quite proper, but I think TZD is a more "proper" zombie flick than Shaun perhaps...if that makes any sense. Not dissing Shaun at all, but the comedy element in Shaun removes most of the drama and seriousness (although it can get serious and touching, like when he has to kill his zombified mother).

But TZD is balls-out swinging in the wind with no jokes to ease the unsettlement...that's kinda what I'm trying to get at, if that makes sense.

Phildogger
01-Sep-2007, 08:29 PM
Big thumbs up here!!!!

capncnut
01-Sep-2007, 09:10 PM
Okay folks time for another one of Capn's reviews, this time it's Kevin Gates and Michael Bartlett's The Zombie Diaries. Released via Revolver Entertainment, a company primarily known for Arthouse horror flicks and foreign titles, TZD (as it shall now be known) is making small waves in the UK. In fact, when a friend of mine went to purchase a copy in Blockbuster's today, he was swiftly told that they had no more left and was promptly directed to Woolworth's. Almost everybody that is coming into contact with a TZD trailer or review is (becoming infected?) walking away with a certain degree of expectation. Well take it from me, a zombie fan of the highest calibre, I have just finished this movie, blown away and with the feeling that I have just been on the recieving end of Mike Tyson's fist after telling him that Cus D'amato is a 'wrinkled old c**t.'

Story:
TZD is not your standard zombie flick and draws upon three video diaries that document the epidemic from beginning to end. It's a unique way of telling the story, especially when all three tales merge towards the end of the movie. Again, like all of my reviews, I will go into great detail with the film's content while trying my best not to reveal the outcomes of each episode. That said, this review is still not entirely spoiler free so I suggest to all of you that intend to see TZD in the near future to put off reading this review until you have done so.

Immediately throwing us into the thick of a military sweep up before the titles have even begun, we are introduced to the first diary, The Outbreak, which sets the scene quite nicely. London is in the grip of a quarantine as a strange and wholly inexplicable virus has taken over the capital. Things are not quite out of control yet and a camera crew are assigned by their boss to cover a story about a farmer who has slaughtered all of his livestock due to the powerful epidemic. They are also informed that something 'big' has happened in New York and that the whole area has had to be sealed off. The crew drive out to the sticks, excited by the scoop, and eventually arrive at the farm which is seemingly abandoned. As usual with horror films, the car breaks down :rolleyes:, so they call the office for advice and are told that London has become a war zone in their absence, with it's transportation system in chaos. With daylight fading fast, the crew return to the farm with the hopes of getting their heads down for the night. They find some temporary shelter at the farm's cottage but after a well-placed power cut, a series of dull thuds alert them to the upstairs area. In an almost silent scene, they bravely investigate the area (pushing the viewers' bravery too in some respects) and they eventually stumble upon the disembowelled remains of their interview subject along with a female zombie with terrifying glowing eyes. The crew naturally scream their lungs out and flee the cottage only to find that the living dead have now taken over the streets...

The second and shortest of the diaries, The Scavengers, takes place a month after the events of the first piece and follows three friends on the road. The beautiful scenery looks completely out of place in such a nightmare but I guess that's just one of life's ironies. Following a brief character introduction (and a decent headshot) they pull up at a parade of shops in a deserted country town, hoping to plunder some supplies. After a dark and claustophobic Supermarket Sweep, they head back to the car with a full shopping cart to realise that they have inadvertantly attracted the local zombie community with their noise-making. Guns drawn, the living dead encircle the three scavengers...

The final diary, The Survivors, begins in the forest with a bang as a number of zombies drop in mass of sticky headshots. We then meet a group of rag-tag survivors living at a nearby base they have created in Hertfordshire. This tale seems a lot more loosely scripted with various members making their own video diaries. One survivor emotionally compares the situation to that of 9/11; 'They were just going about their lives, their biggest worry of the day being "where am I gonna go for lunch?" And then suddenly...' The bleakness of the situation hits home with a lead survivor announcing that they only have enough food for a few days, coupled with footage of bodies being burned in the fields, it's incredibly hard-hitting stuff! In a bid to add to their numbers, they set up a radio broadcast to entice other survivors to their base. It's not looking good and when the survivors are not bitterly arguing, they are defending themselves against endless zombie ambushes. Dick Van Dyke certainly doesn't make an appearance and from here on in the situation gets increasingly darker, often spiralling into madness (notably the shooting of a young child, one survivor going psychotic, even the restraining and raping of a female zombie is disturbingly hinted at). I will not reveal how the three stories merge together but it's one of those things that'll leave you muttering over and over, 'that's f**king genius'...

Filmmaking:
First off, hats off to Gates and Bartlett. I was expecting a new spin on the whole 28 Days Later thing and was greeted with something much better. It's more realistic and the creatures ARE zombies! The Blair Witch Project is another movie TZD is being constantly compared to. Aside from the fact that both were shot on handhelds and that night vision is used to similar effect, they have nothing else in common. In fact, I would even go as far to say that TZD is a lot more suspenseful and uses the 'darker spaces' in a much scarier way. There were times when I was clinging to the edge of my seat, especially when Andy and co were investigating the cottage in darkness - it almost made me want to fast-forward for a sec and get the scare over with 'cause the tension was like standing blindfold on the edge of a cliff! :eek:

Acting:
As with all independent movies, you would be foolish to expect Oscar winning performances but I feel the acting was above par for a project of this kind. In fact, some of the stutters and pauses in the dialogue add to the overall paranoia of the piece. I'm hard pressed to think of a fluffed quote in the whole movie and if I had any in mind previously, I've certainly forgotten them now.

Music:
Erm, there isn't any techically but the ambience works to full effect. Kinda like standing outside the Knowby Cabin in The Evil Dead, it's either the wind or a solo key on a synthesizer droning in the background. It's pretty creepy and this reviewer is thankful that no composed themes of such were used. And ultra-thankful that the filmmakers steered well clear of the heavy metal route, which appears to be the norm with zombie movies nowdays.

Gore:
This movie has some delightful effects and the zombie's faces are suitably mashed up and hanging off. There are plenty of headshots also and it's not uncommon for the viewer to be face to face with a zombie with it's guts protruding through it ribcage or ripped out entirely. However, the off-camera violence outweighs the special effects in many ways.

Overall:
I have seen a lot of independent zombie films (be it on DVD or the internet) in the last couple of years and I am pleased to report that TZD is better than the whole lot put together! I'm not surprised in the slightest that it is recieving high ratings in magazines and websites because it's such a thrilling ride. It's not enjoyable in an 'adventure' sense because it's so very depressing at times but it's nice to see the shambler make a comeback in such a way that it constantly gives you new reasons to be totally afraid of them. You touch a cadaver and you better get that bottle of Dettol out and wash your hands otherwise it might just mean your life! It's pushing the envelope and doesn't rip anyone off and for that reason alone, I now have a new zombie movie in my top ten. Thanks guys!

9/10

kona843
02-Sep-2007, 12:30 AM
It was great seeing letchworth, i live 10 minutes away from where they shot the abandoned, i also go cycling in chicksands woods where the woodland scenes were shot.
It was easy for me to knit pick at the film, not by any fault of their own, the viewers arent meant to really know the layout of letchworth. But to me i kept asking why the characters went to a closed happy shopper when theres a morrisons supermarket 5 minutes walk away, or better yet, the restaurant i took my girlfriend to the other day is just two doors down! Also i wondered how someone could get lost in chicksands woods when theres a million fire roads to lead back out onto the main roads! Still thumbs up, i enjoyed it, if they make another one im volunteering for a zombie job. :D

hydro
02-Sep-2007, 11:54 AM
Glad you guys liked the movie.

Kona - the woods scenes weren't shot in Chicksands. They were filmed in a Wain Wood, near Preston village (scenes with the documentary crew). The scenes where the car crashes and they head into the woods is near a place called Tewin, east of Welwyn Garden City.

Also the scene where they're looking over the town is in fact looking over Hitchin, which we then swap to Letchworth when they actually get into the town.

kona843
02-Sep-2007, 05:32 PM
o i kinda saw the woods and thought chicksands due to its hilly landscape, i thought the road where they crash is that small road which cuts chicksands in two aswel, oh well. Ive been cycling around preston also so chances are ive been in those woods, i might take a ride over there next weekend and see if i can find the fake graves! lol i guess if they had shot in chicksands they might get some north shore or cyclist zombies :D

and wow - looks over hitchin, my house is probably in the film then!! ill have to watch more closely!

kidgloves
07-Sep-2007, 06:15 PM
I've been following this since it first landed at HPOTD and, while i dont normally go for low budget flicks, i was keen to see how this would turn out. After watching it the other day i've gotta say it is suprisingly good. The mood/tone was spot on and i was seriously nervous when they were looking around the farm at the beginning. As mentioned above some lines delivered do seem a bit wooden but overall the acting is way above par for such a low budget movie.
I judge a movies quality by how much im drawn into it and to a certain extent the effects become secondary. That is very much the case with this and for me some of the headshots seemed totally believable with a nice "pop" from the back of the head although i don't recommend standing in front of zombies like some of the the actors do.

I must admit im totally perplexed at the vitriol directed at this project from the fools on the IMDB forums regarding the cover. Surely it should go down as a great piece of marketing from the distributors. Oh well this IS IMDB so i don't know why im suprised.

Anyway. Great work lads. A genuinely good independent low budget zombie movie.

4/5

coma
07-Sep-2007, 06:43 PM
I liked it. The shakey cam wasnt overbearing at all. The acting was fine. It moved well and was never boring (big plus). I wish there were more sharply filmed effects but that didnt affect the actual film at all. There was a bit of confusion with the Goke character )and the reactions to him) at the end and sp,e of the the flashback left me a bit confused also.
Not a super in depth review but I enjoyed the film and thats a lot more than many of the other low budget zombie films of the last couple years.

clanglee
11-Sep-2007, 02:38 AM
Yeah, great movie. I was also a bit confused by the Goke character. Was the guy behind the camera his cohort from the flashback? If not, what happened to him I wonder. The scene in the first diary when the guys check out the upstairs was awsome!! My only real beef with the movie were the zombies themselves. There were a few makeup jobs that could have been done a bit better, even on a low budget. But for the most part the zombies were ok. No real focus on them, which added beliveability. All in all, a great movie. One of my favorites for sure.

Legion2213
17-Oct-2007, 12:31 PM
Not seen this yet, I shall wait for Amazon to drop the price from a tenner to a fiver (cheap-ass mofo that I am). Looks decent though - I also agree with Minion Zombie, nice to see a zombie film that us Brits can relate to (location wise).

MinionZombie
17-Oct-2007, 12:44 PM
*high five* for UK zombie outbreaks! :) (fictional ones, of course :p)

Legion2213
18-Oct-2007, 11:07 AM
*high five* for UK zombie outbreaks! :) (fictional ones, of course :p)

I dunno...a little tiny, small, real one wouldn't hurt. ;)

MinionZombie
18-Oct-2007, 11:59 AM
If the gubment can't contain Blue Tongue disease, I wouldn't give them much hope of stopping a zombie outbreak. :lol::eek::dead:

Legion2213
18-Oct-2007, 06:38 PM
If the gubment can't contain Blue Tongue disease, I wouldn't give them much hope of stopping a zombie outbreak. :lol::eek::dead:

Fair point. :)

aga
06-Nov-2007, 10:22 PM
I have to say I was utterly disappointed with the nutter ending. I know the whole zombie thing is that it is us that destroy ourselves and not the zombies but turning it into a really crappy serial killer film did nothing for me.

I suppose it would of been really hard to finish up the film as a straight zombie survival tale but I feel a more open-ended story would of been braver than wrapping it up with a mass slaughter.

I did like the fact you had new cameramen as the story proceeded, but it was tough working out who it was at times. I didn't realise the start of the second segment had a new cameraman, I thought he had survived from the first segment, as this was the first change, perhaps it could of been made clearer?

Overall though, while a little confusing and having a weak conclusion the zombie parts were really good and (presumably) shined above their budget. I look forward to your next film.

Mike70
16-Nov-2007, 02:42 AM
okay. i've watched this twice now. overall i think it kicks a ss. the only thing i have a real problem with is the dude who goes crackerdog and starts blowing away all of his cohorts. give us one little ray of light other than the chick at the end.

i like the comment about guns. i live in a little town where everyone is armed to the teeth- you can thank deer season for that. but i own 5 of them myself (including 2 handguns).

but anyway-overall loved it. there were some minor hitches but aren't there in any movie?

bravo.

Legion2213
25-Nov-2007, 10:58 PM
Just snagged this from ebay for under a fiver. Can't wait to see it and judge for myself. :)

Ivarr
26-Nov-2007, 01:20 AM
I enjoyed the film, though I do have my gripes about it ... but in the end... I did like it.

I think it was far more scary then many films of this type ... and it showed some real promise in evoking dread at the right times...

Feeling like I was there with the people at times was almost too much ... then again i was watching it in the dark.

I fully intend to buy a copy as soon as I can get the DVD in the US.

I just wanted more ... and is that really a bad thing?

Thank you for the entertainment.

Legion2213
01-Dec-2007, 04:22 AM
Watched this last night (alone, in the dark) very good, very bleak low budget effort IMHO. Well worth a place in my zombie DVD library.

Just one point, a few of you folks say the "Goke" character was a serial killer or that he'd flipped...I didn't see him like that, this guy was one of those total and utter nasty bastards who realised that he could rape and murder anybody he wanted without any punishment (that's only my opinion, not stating it as fact, just the way I read him). I would bet money that he decided that his mate from the forest "had to go" as well (which is why he had disapeared by the time that Goke had joined up with the survivors)

And as for the zombie girl, I believe that he was raping and torturing her before she died...once again, just an impression that I got.

Would love to hear what Hydro/Kevin Gates has to say about the character and his motivations.

All in all, I'm glad that I bought this film, it will be watched again.

DubiousComforts
11-Dec-2007, 02:18 PM
I liked it. The shakey cam wasnt overbearing at all.
The handheld cam was overbearing to the point that I had a difficult time watching this movie without feeling lightheaded. It's understandable why the style was used, but when not used properly it quickly becomes gimmicky and tedious. It certainly doesn't bode well for repeat viewings, just like The Blair Witch Project which I could only stand to see once (in a theater on opening night, no less).

The first segment utilized the documentary style best when introducing the outbreak; following that, the shaky cam could have been kept to a minimum. It should also be mentioned that, although the build-up was well done, the initial reveal was a letdown because there was no doubt you were looking at a Hollywood-type zombie. The best living dead films have a sense of ambiguity.

the only thing i have a real problem with is the dude who goes crackerdog and starts blowing away all of his cohorts.
Didn't he murder everyone because they uncovered his secret? I don't see a problem with that.

Mike70
23-Dec-2007, 03:20 AM
Didn't he murder everyone because they uncovered his secret? I don't see a problem with that.

i might have missed that bit. my son came wondering out near the end of this and i lost some time getting him back to bed. damn. now i am gonna have to go back and watch it again.

i will let nick (the boy) watch some horror stuff but i think this flick might be a bit heavy for him.

capncnut
25-Dec-2007, 04:55 PM
Just one point, a few of you folks say the "Goke" character was a serial killer or that he'd flipped...I didn't see him like that, this guy was one of those total and utter nasty bastards who realised that he could rape and murder anybody he wanted without any punishment.
Totally agree with you there Legion, that's exactly how I saw him.

MinionZombie
26-Dec-2007, 10:42 AM
Totally agree with you there Legion, that's exactly how I saw him.
Exactly what I took away from it too. He was free to let his vaguely sealed inner bastard out and not feel the consequences at all. With no normal society, the inner beast is let loose and he indulges his inner sick bastard...

But here's a question, presumably he captured, bound & raped that blonde reporter before she died and zombified ... but did he continue to do the sick deed after zombification?

That was one of the elements of the movie that I thought was really f*cked up and made it all the more powerful, kinda added something not seen in other zed flicks. I mean yes, we've seen people screw others over, but nothing quite that messed up - a new level of messed-up-edness says I! :eek:

capncnut
26-Dec-2007, 03:23 PM
In regards to the spoiler question, yeah I believe he stiffed the stiff. Why else would he keep it alive?

I mean dead. :D

Legion2213
28-Dec-2007, 05:50 PM
In regards to the spoiler question, yeah I believe he stiffed the stiff. Why else would he keep it alive?

I mean dead. :D

Zombie apocalypse - Always a good excuse to crack open a cold one. :D

Burbank
10-Mar-2008, 08:20 PM
Well this was my second Diary film within a few days. The first was of course Diary of the Dead and the second was this - The Zombie Diaries. I've wrapped by review and notes in spoiler tags just in case...

Whilst all zombie films tend to be a bit downbeat, I found this to be a little too depressing...! I did like it, but found the endings to be a little off with the while nut job killer thing.

I also found it quite hard to kept track of things... having not read much about it in the first place, I wasn't aware that each diary was a different set of characters and so became a little confused during the cross over from one set of characters to another.

At least from reading this thread I am right about the ending... I do agree that these two guys (most annoyed that the "bad" guy was from a scouser!) were a bit messed up in the first place and just took this opportunity to "let loose". Worrying to think that people like they might actually exist. I found these scenes particularly frustrating as this guy was so clearly a freak from the outset and they should have got rid of him way before it escalated. I suppose it was a nice twist and not one I saw coming.

I really liked the effects and make up. It was shot well – more believable that Diary anyway.

Whilst this review may sound negative, I did enjoy the film. It was nice to see it from a UK point of view and the production qualities were pretty good for an indie flick.

I think it my benefit from a second viewing as it may become a little clearer.

EvilNed
11-Mar-2008, 11:02 PM
I was pleasantly surprised to see that this film has actually gotten a DVD release in Sweden. Apart from the fact that some of the filmmakers had a forum on this site, I knew nothing of it. And I liked the premise, so I got it.

Perhaps a few spoilers ahead, so I'll tag it. Oh, and as you may know, I do have a tendency to get carried away when writing.

The first diary was really cool. I loved it. A bit slow at first, but I like slow buildups to films like these. And the perfect pay-off came when they searched the barnhouse. Me and my two mates were really on the edge of our seats when they searched the house. Brilliant! My heart is still beating from the thrill, I believe.

The second installment then started. Perhaps because I was so into the first one that when the second one came I went "Naw, I wanted more!". An opinion that, after having watched the whole film, I still stick by.

Interesting view on it. I would have liked to have seen it in one full piece rather than in two seperate ones, tho. Again, the ending was great. By the graveyard in the woods, I thought it was really scary. However all three of us easily anticipated the very final end when the guy ran towards the Survivors. I thought it was a bit cliché.

Now, The Survivors. Sorry, but the first part of this diary I didn't like at all. It felt very incoherent and excessively long scenes about things that could have just been mentioned. Such as the water fetching. Also, even up to this point the zombies were not scary to me. They moved incredibly slow and I never saw anyone of them even stretch out their arms to grab someone, preferring to stare at them from a few feet away. Mind you, Part 1 of this diary was shown before the ending of Diary 2 which is when the zombies shined in my book. So here, more or less, all three of us dropped interest in the film. We still watched it with ears and eyes, but it just never got anywhere.

The part with the zombiefied sexdoll was great. Creepy and disturbing. And Gokes final mental mind-**** was really suspenseful. I really dug it. But perhaps it could have been longer and with more focus on the encroaching zombies. Now it felt alot like just flashes of zombies in the distance went by as people screamed. All in all very effectful, tho. Worthy exit to that part of the diary.

But then, the ending to Diary 1 came. And to be frank, I did not like it at all. Sure, Gokes character was explained a bit further. But I felt no need that he needed such. What I had already seen was enough. And from this point forward, the zombie threat was forgotten, replaced by a sick-psycho threat. Not the movie I expected or wanted. I didn't find it very suspenseful or interesting. Just didn't like it. And the VERY final flashback to the military? I didn't get it. So all in all, AWESOME opening, followed by some mediocre and sometimes quite dull (sorry...) scenes being mixed with edge-of-your-seat suspense (like the ending to both Diary 2 and 3). However the ending of the film itself left much to be desired.

Also, the zooms annoyed my much. They were overused in all three segments. Please, if you make another film, take at least THIS criticism to heart. Because they detracted from what was happening on the screen immensly, especially since they occured to frequently. Many a times the camera zoomed in, then two seconds later zoomed out. Why zoom in the first place? When you zoom you instantly make the viewer aware of that he's actually safe in his sofa, watching a film. Whatever object the camera is focusing on loses some of it's focus, which is instead shifted to the zoom. At least this is how I feel.

All in all, a worthy effort. I had no expectations whatsoever, yet I can't say that I loved the film. I loved certain parts of it. But there were probably equally many parts of it that had me checking the timer. So how can I rate an uneven film? I really can't. But I've pointed out the times I felt the film really succeeded and hit the home-run.

ZombieGrrL
12-Mar-2008, 12:56 AM
I like the bleakness of TZD, I don't always want a happy rosy loose ends tied movie.

This movie also shows what some people would do if they knew there wouldn't be any consequences or accountability to their actions. I think it's right on the money & that if anything like this ever happened - you wouldn't only have to protect yourself from the living dead.

MinionZombie
12-Mar-2008, 11:08 AM
This movie also shows what some people would do if they knew there wouldn't be any consequences or accountability to their actions.

That was one of the stand-out things in this film for me. It dared to "go there" (which it certainly did, grim stuff indeed), to show people unleashed as there is no law and order anymore. In itself, that was an interesting concept.

Redman6565
31-May-2008, 11:33 PM
How does this stack up to GAR's Diary movie.

DjfunkmasterG
01-Jun-2008, 04:29 AM
Can't really compare them.

This has 3 separate stories to GAR's 1 story involving film students documenting the dead coming back to life.

Mike70
03-Jun-2008, 03:11 AM
That was one of the stand-out things in this film for me. It dared to "go there" (which it certainly did, grim stuff indeed), to show people unleashed as there is no law and order anymore. In itself, that was an interesting concept.

a perfect reason for owning guns and having a shoot first and ask no questions until the smoke clears attitude in this sort of situation. those fu*ks i wouldn't have trusted for a nanosecond and would've had a firearm near at hand every moment.

to a quote the character of julius caesar (in a movie) "i've found the after effects of trust very much like the after effects of too much wine - unpleasant in the extreme."

scotty Boy
24-Oct-2008, 03:33 PM
First of all its been a while since i last posted on here, in fact i think TZD was still im prodution at that time, but anyway i have finally got around to watching this film and i have to say some may be dissapointed with my thoughts

Of corse evryone is entitled to an opinoin and everyone has differnt tastes in movies. For me this film was not on par with my expectations. After constantly reading reviews praising the film and hyping it up i led myself to believe i would fall in love with this film. but how i was wrong

Lets start with what i disliked

It was at times too complicated to get to grips with who was in control of the camera, after the first group of guys, it travels forward 1 month i still thought i was watching the same camera man, and throughout the film i was trying to see if i had recognised who the charactures were, which put me off slightly. Also some of the scenes where they were shooting the dead were slightly bland. I prefer seeing hoards heading towards them, say about 20 - 40 zombies instead of 7 dotted about, this to me keeps me on the edge of my seat, as im thinking to myself "how will they be able to shoot this many, will they have enough bullets" etc rather than thinking "its ok that should'nt be too hard to do" but as i said earlier thats what i want in a film and im sure many will dissagree.

These were the majour debatable points i bring up but its not all bad :)

Some scenes did make me want to pause the film and brace myself. For example the two guy heading up the stairs in the first house looking for that strange noise. As he went to open the first door i couldnt bring myself to watch to see what would happen. I hadnt been on edge that much since watching Signs as a teenager! I was also relieved towards the end of the film that they show how all 3 groups linked together, as i was still confused as to how the story was going to end.

Ok thats my rant over with. Overall i give the film 5.5/10 but as others have also said, its great to see a UK zombie film, and i hope its a stepping stone for more to come

Scott

capncnut
24-Oct-2008, 05:12 PM
Whoa, fellow Kent dweller! Nice to see you back, old bean. :)

Bub666
02-Nov-2008, 01:38 AM
I just pre-ordered my copy today,I can't wait to watch this movie.

hydro
18-Nov-2008, 06:03 PM
Scottyboy! Thanks for your honest feedback. I like reading constructive reviews whether positive or negative, its all good!

A lot of people like the scene going upstairs at the farmhouse. I remember writing this sequence thinking 'this is so simple, but it works'. Other scenes that took a lot longer to write weren't as successful. Keeping it simple worked a treat :)

Cheers,

ProfessorChaos
27-Dec-2008, 03:53 PM
who are these clowns???:rolleyes:

DeadJake
05-Feb-2009, 03:54 PM
I Liked the Idea, the concept and many other things but truley i can't say im a fan of the film Don't get me wrong its not a bad film and i really enjoyed some points in the film and it did have good Direction but it really wasn't my cup of tea.