PDA

View Full Version : What are the best non-romero zombie films?

mst3k
08-Apr-2006, 05:28 PM
I was wondering what you guys think are the best. anyone I should stay away from? thanks!

MKULTRA1138
08-Apr-2006, 08:46 PM
Some recent ones that were really good are Undead and one from Mexico called zombi plaga. Some classics are City of the Living dead, the Beyond, Messiah of Evil, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie, Wild Zero, and The Grapes of Death.

Philly_SWAT
08-Apr-2006, 09:51 PM
Versus, a Japanese zombie film, is awesome! Unique directing style, lots of karate, and zombies everywhere!

kingofmonsters2
08-Apr-2006, 10:14 PM
there are a lot of really good non romero zombie movies that have been made.

1.RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD: in my oppinion the best non romero zombie movie ever made, dan o'bannon really cared about making a good movie and he didnt want to re-do what romero had done, so he changed his zombies, added some dark humor and created a new night of the living dead for the 1980's

2.VIDEO DEAD: this is a quirky little b-movie, it has zombies, zombies that come out of a supernatural television. they do attack the living but for different reasons than most other zombie movies. they hate the livining, they hate the one thing they can never be. it is weird and different and it should be one of those movies that you watch on mystery science theater 3000, but its good and cheesy, i liked it.

3.ZOMBI: this one is cool, zombie fighting a shark, eye ball destruction, nasty slow moving maggit infested zombies. decent easy to follow plot line, nothing over explained. good story, good gore, nice zombie work.

4. NIGHTMARE CITY: one of, if not the first to show fast moving zombies, these zombies are different, they are created because of radiation, they need blood to survive, and their victims come back really quickly wich makes their threat level very high. nice twist ending, slow in some parts but overall pretty good.

5. HELL OF THE LIVING DEAD: also called night of the zombies, there is another movie called night of the zombies and it is a horrid turd of a movie, always try to look for this one under the hell of the living dead. this is one huge rip off of romero dawn of the dead. in this movie a swat team goes to a third world little country and winds up in the jungle fighting off the living dead, it is kind of cool, not a bad movie, uses a lot of dawn of the deads music, uses a **** load of what appears to be national geographic stock footage. creates a decent reason for the creation of the zombies. not a bad movie, i would put this under the "cheese and corn. category.

6. UNDEAD: really cool independant zombie flick, aliens, zombies, gun toting luny, really a good movie.

there are a ****load more zombie movies that are out there, i dont watch to many of them any more simply because a lot of them turn out to be bad and i hate wasting my money at the video store if the movie winds up being horrible, so i have stuck with my old a favorite movies, but there are people here on this board that have seen a whole lot more then i have and will probably give you a better list than i have.

Tri0xin
08-Apr-2006, 11:17 PM
The Return of the Living Dead
Night Life
Video Dead
Burial Ground
Slither (sorta zombies)
Night of the Creeps (sorta zombies)
Shaun of the Dead

glsjaw
08-Apr-2006, 11:22 PM
IMO:
Shaun of the dead
Zombie
Dellmorte Dellmore (just because it has a hot chick with zombies)
Dead next door (yes it extremely B but good non the less)

Danny
09-Apr-2006, 12:44 AM
well first off theres shaun of the dead, easily one of my fav's.
the evil dead, of course.
undead, quickly becoming a favourite of mine.
and one i cant remember the name of from japan, it was like all teenage girls (of course in sailor outfits for the prevy japanese,lol, just kidding so dont come bakc with "well actually ..." retorts), anyhoo alll these girls turn or will turn into zombies, i liked the idea that a whole group were going to without a cure now thats a freaky idea knowing a daughter or a sister could turn into a freakin' zombie, now you gotta admit thats a creepy premise.

as for ones to stay away form, VAMPIRES VS. FRIGGIN ZOMBIES!!!!!!

its not only the worst zombie flick ever but the worst film in history.

heres an example, and this will be reminicent of my "sex is a sign of a cheap horror flick" post in another thread, a pair of young women are in a room, all the doors are open zombies are everywere and what do they do they que a "oh its getting so hot in here" line and lesbo **** ensues and they get eaten.

no really. thats what happens.

MKULTRA1138
09-Apr-2006, 12:56 AM
[QUOTE=hellsing]well first off theres shaun of the dead, easily one of my fav's.
the evil dead, of course.
undead, quickly becoming a favourite of mine.
and one i cant remember the name of from japan, it was like all teenage girls (of course in sailor outfits for the prevy japanese,lol, just kidding so dont come bakc with "well actually ..." retorts), anyhoo alll these girls turn or will turn into zombies, i liked the idea that a whole group were going to without a cure now thats a freaky idea knowing a daughter or a sister could turn into a freakin' zombie, now you gotta admit thats a creepy premise.

Dude, that movie is called Stacey! They have a few references to Romero in there and even a Bruce Campbell reference too! Awesome flick!

Danny
09-Apr-2006, 01:48 AM
its full title is : STACY:attack of the zombie schoolgirls.

no shiznit.

heres one persons opinion of imdb

'Tis a story of love 'Tis a story of death 'Tis a story of love beyond death

But most importantly...

'Tis a story of chainsawing hot zombie school girls.

"STACY"

At the dawn of the new millennium, young girls, aged 15-17, entered a state of bliss, dubbed, Near Death Happiness, or N.D.H. But from there, turned into flesh eating zombies, that couldn't be stopped unless their bodies were cut into 165 small pieces (then left on the curb in trash bags, for the Romero Rekill Squad to come and dispose of).

While style isn't this movies strong point, the story, originally by Kenji Otsuki, is a deep and compelling one, but at the same time, hidden by comedic killing, and wantonness gore. This movie pays great homage to Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, and Army of Darkness. Under all of this though, is a story that is very driven, and complete. It takes zombie movies in an unheard of direction, and sets a bar far beyond any other zombie movie has yet to surpass, and will not for a while.

This movie is truly a great watch, the special effects are at times cheesy, but at other times (beheaded girl) are a real treat to watch. Supposedly this movie has a semi famous cast, I don't recognize anybody in there, but I'm sure after being in a film like Stacy, they are probably all living on their own private islands right now, surfing in pools of pudding.

Action fans will love it because of the zombies, girls will love it because of the heart warming story of love, zombies will love it because of zombies, In fact, this movie is probably the key to world peace.

Watch it or die.

Zombie-A-GoGo
09-Apr-2006, 03:59 AM
Here are some of my favorites:

The Beyond
Re-Animator
Bride of Re-Animator
Burial Bround
Sugar Hill
Shanks
Castle of the Walking Dead
Plague of the Zombies