PDA

View Full Version : Another Positive review for Deadlands

DjfunkmasterG
13-Sep-2007, 02:07 PM
from Trashfilmorgy.com

"Several radio in-jokes are presented in Deadlands: The Rising, a no-budget zombie video made by Wet and Wild Radio’s Gary Ugarek and distributed by Splatter Rampage, yet another division of Tempe. Someone acts surprised at the radio getting the news out, even with the TV signal out.

The movie uses zombies sparingly, and focuses on the human reaction to sudden zombie infestation. 28 Days Later comes to mind. The movie utilizes both fast and slow zombies. It doesn’t linger on close-ups of the zombies and relies on smooth editing to obscure any flaws.

The acting is no worse than any other microbudget movie, and some’s even decent. Doesn’t try to cram a bunch of “edgy” comic relief at us, it’s just a straightforward realistic drama about the survivors as they make their way to a “secure” shelter to become undead appetizers.

Several good set pieces stick out. The traffic jam on the road was well done, and I liked the scene where the mom runs over a zombie while she tries to reassure her little boy that everything is OK, and towards the end, when the two dudes have to escape the undead.

Thank God it moves fast and dirty, and is actually fairly interesting for a no-budgeter. Effective creepy music is used throughout to create tension, but I was hoping the foreboding music was leading for a bigger dramatic payoff. I guess they had to re-write the script due to money and location problems. I enjoyed the film, yet it felt unfinished. Here’s hoping you find more money next time, guys!"

For video check out www.tempevideo.com.