PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite line/moment from any of GAR's zombie quadrilogy?

dusk_of_the_dead
09-Apr-2006, 02:17 PM
yeah i made up the word quadrilogy :P

anyway. i love it when rhodes says 'im running this monkey farm now frankenstein and i wanna know WHAT THE ****! your doing with my time!' lol it rocks my socks.

my favourite moment would be eerrrm 'nice hat asshole *knocks hat off*' lol the way the zombie goes crazy because hes hatless is awesome lol.

your ideas if you would be as so kind :D

dusk

Adrenochrome
09-Apr-2006, 02:21 PM
When Dr. Logan is teaching Bub how to play the tape recorder.

....and......a quadramazillion more! (I made up quadramazillion ;) )

falcon
09-Apr-2006, 03:20 PM
Some of my favorites:

Night- Police Chief- Put that thing in the fire, we don't want it getting up again.
Dawn- Peter- Wake up sucker, we're thieves and we're bad guys, that's exactly what we are. We gotta find our own way.
Day- John- At the first sign of trouble, I'm going up and you're likely to have a lousy afternoon.

MinionZombie
09-Apr-2006, 04:03 PM
Hmmm...

Day - "I'll have to lay of the f*ckin' booze Steel, cos there won't f*ckin' be any of it f*ckin' left!"

Land - anything Charlie says, he rocks!

Can't be arsed to come up with one for Night or Dawn :p

Mortis
09-Apr-2006, 05:20 PM
People have been using that term for a while.

yeah i made up the word quadrilogy :P

OddDNA
09-Apr-2006, 05:50 PM
Day - "You've given me a mouthful of greek salad"....What the **** does that mean lol

Dawn - "Get up and Kill" due to the White Zombie CD.

glsjaw
09-Apr-2006, 10:25 PM
night- there dead there all messed up
dawn 04, when ving gets called shack (cant remember the exact lines,because i havent watched it a whole lot, for obviouse reasons)

MoonSylver
10-Apr-2006, 03:53 AM
The ones I've alwayd loved from Dawn & Day are the moments I like to refer to as "The Soliliquy" (sp?), when the main character says the heavy **** on us. You know, Peters "When there's no more room in hell..." or Johns "We being punished by da Creator" speeches.

Beyond that, every quote-able moment taht every fanoy has recited, from "Ya got any cigarettes?" to "They're dead, they're....all messed up" & beyond

My favorites actually come from bit players like "Shoot it man! Shoot it in th' head!" or "No, the berieved wiil have to forgo the dubious comforts that funeral arrangements will provide" to "DUMMIES!!! DUMMIEEEES!!!!" (Dr. Millard Rouche RULES!):lol:

Guido
10-Apr-2006, 05:29 AM
still love 'they're coming to get you barbra'. simple, but it transcends the genre.

bassman
10-Apr-2006, 01:12 PM
People have been using that term for a while.

The correct word is "tetralogy". Quadrilogy is some word that marketing companies came up with. Like the "Alien Quadrilogy" DVD set.:rolleyes:

Night: "Something's moving inside.....get him right between the eyes. That's one for the fire."
Dawn: "I might point out that even animals have been known to adopt the use of tools in this manner. These creatures are nothing but pure, motorized instinct."
Day: "Forget it, Billy boy. It's a dead place. Like all the others, you know. Listen. You can hear it over the engine."
Land:"Isn't that what we're doing? Pretending to be alive?"

Mortis
10-Apr-2006, 01:48 PM
I never said it was a legit word.

The correct word is "tetralogy". Quadrilogy is some word that marketing companies came up with. Like the "Alien Quadrilogy" DVD set.:rolleyes:

bassman
10-Apr-2006, 02:25 PM
I never said it was a legit word.

I didn't say that you did:confused:

Adrenochrome
10-Apr-2006, 02:38 PM
still love 'they're coming to get you barbra'. simple, but it transcends the genre.
funny thing about that line.....EVERY time I meet someone named "Barbara", I say, "They're coming to get you, Barbara....!" That's the fisrt thing out of my mouth. (I get alot of weird looks)

bassman
10-Apr-2006, 02:41 PM
As long as you don't send a text message that says "commin 4 u, barb":rolleyes: :barf:

Adrenochrome
10-Apr-2006, 02:45 PM
As long as you don't send a text message that says "commin 4 u, barb":rolleyes: :barf:
I would rather french kiss Peter Jackson than "text message" ANYTHING!!!:D

erisi236
10-Apr-2006, 03:23 PM
Night - "They're dead, they're all messed up."

Dawn - "Perfect baby, perfect."

Day - "I'm running this monkey farm now frankenstein, and I wanna know what the **** you're doing with my time!"

Land - "I am nice."

Dawn 04 - "America always sorts it's **** out."

Tri0xin
10-Apr-2006, 04:13 PM
...But that's OK, cavemen all got big dicks!

Mortis
10-Apr-2006, 04:39 PM
****in' A! Biggest piece of meat in the cave!

...But that's OK, cavemen all got big dicks!

JDP
05-Jul-2014, 11:55 AM
Day - "You've given me a mouthful of greek salad"....What the **** does that mean lol

I've seen some people being puzzled by that one. It's not really difficult to get what Rhodes means by that. When you read or hear things you can hardly understand a popular expression to point this out is "it's all Greek to me!":

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/british/it-s-all-greek-to-me

This is alluding to the fact that the Greek language looks very strange to most westerners, it is not even written in the Latin alphabet to begin with. This made it an easy candidate for denoting something difficult to understand. The Greeks themselves have a similar expression, by the way, but they say "seems like Chinese to me", since to them the Chinese language is what's weird and unfamiliar.

So what Rhodes is saying is basically a pun or play-on-words. He is combining a popular English expression to denote something that is difficult to understand (it's all Greek to me) with a popular dish that also has the word "Greek" in it (Greek salad, a jumble of several vegetables, olives, feta cheese and dressing) in order to characterize the reports that the scientists are giving him: a jumble of "formulas, equations, a lot of fancy terms" that to him "don't mean a thing", as he himself clarifies right after he says the "Greek salad" bit.

Buzzbomb
09-Jul-2014, 10:17 PM
"You can't start the car, Johnny has the keys..."

It's impossible for me to pick one moment... The ending to NOTLD was a highlight... the anti-consumerism stuff in Dawn another...

Quote wise, I think Logan's "They have to be rewarded, why else would they do what we want them to do [snip] it;'s the bare beginning of civilised behaviour. Civil behaviour is what distinguishes us from the lower forms, it's what enables us to communicate, to go about things in an orderly fashion without attacking each other like beasts in the wild Civility must be rewarded.... If it isn't rewarded,...there's no use for it, no use for it at all"

Day has some excellent lines by John (Terry Alexander) too:-

John: "This is bullshit what we're doing here, it's crazy... I got an alternative, let's get in that whirlybird there, find us an island someplace, get juiced up and spend what time we've got left soaking up some sunshine."

Sarah: "You could do that couldn't you, with all this going on you could do that couldn't you."

John: "Right - I could do that even if all this wasn't going on..."

Geizeh
09-Jul-2014, 11:46 PM
''Choke on `em!'' from Day of the Dead or Dr. Millard from Dawn of the Dead (1978) '' I am deadly serious! What are the choices? They won't run out of food, that's the problem you see. And they won't run out of food as long as we're still alive.''

Neil
10-Jul-2014, 09:59 AM
Yeh, "Choke on 'em!" + the fact it was a spur of the moment thought by Pilato + because....

http://www.homepageofthedead.com/baps/pilato_pict.jpg

triste realtà
10-Jul-2014, 09:32 PM
Quote wise, I think Logan's [I]"They have to be rewarded, why else would they do what we want them to do [snip] it;'s the bare beginning of civilised behaviour. Civil behaviour is what distinguishes us from the lower forms, it's what enables us to communicate, to go about things in an orderly fashion without attacking each other like beasts in the wild Civility must be rewarded.... If it isn't rewarded,...there's no use for it, no use for it at all"

After 20+ yrs of watching Day I am still noticing things like:
when Logan is saying this, it's as if he realizes he is inadvertently telling Rhodes "there's no use being civil to us (the scientists) cause we aren't rewarding you with breakthroughs" (in their research) when he says that last line.

But in the liner notes of the new Day CD George says Logan is supposed to be cartoonishly clinically insane, which I don't think is all that apparent till the stocking tape is played.

and also: JOSEF with an F!!!!!:eek:

Neil
10-Jul-2014, 09:45 PM

Yeh, I seem to remember asking him about that, and never really getting a clear answer :)

JDP
11-Jul-2014, 12:06 AM
After 20+ yrs of watching Day I am still noticing things like:
when Logan is saying this, it's as if he realizes he is inadvertently telling Rhodes "there's no use being civil to us (the scientists) cause we aren't rewarding you with breakthroughs" (in their research) when he says that last line.

But in the liner notes of the new Day CD George says Logan is supposed to be cartoonishly clinically insane, which I don't think is all that apparent till the stocking tape is played.

I think it's pretty obvious that the doc had lost his marbles. His plan to tame/domesticate the zombies was totally impractical at best. Even if you could somehow truly make them docile, like we see that he managed to make "Bub" more or less safe to be around (and not even completely so), how are you supposed to accomplish this with millions of them out there roaming free and wild??? You would need a veritable army of "trainers" and huge facilities to keep the zombies in. At that point in time when zombies vastly outnumbered living humans it would simply be impossible to accomplish this. I think most of the other people in the bunker could deduce this, but Logan was just too far gone to realize how impracticable was his plan.

Neil
11-Jul-2014, 09:06 AM
I think it's pretty obvious that the doc had lost his marbles. His plan to tame/domesticate the zombies was totally impractical at best. Even if you could somehow truly make them docile, like we see that he managed to make "Bub" more or less safe to be around (and not even completely so), how are you supposed to accomplish this with millions of them out there roaming free and wild??? You would need a veritable army of "trainers" and huge facilities to keep the zombies in. At that point in time when zombies vastly outnumbered living humans it would simply be impossible to accomplish this. I think most of the other people in the bunker could deduce this, but Logan was just too far gone to realize how impracticable was his plan.

Captain Rhodes: Is this your progress? Is this the shit that's supposed to knock our socks off?

Dr. Logan: It's the beginning, yes. It's the bare beginning of social behavior. Civilized behavior. Civil behavior is what distinguishes us from the lower forms. It's what enables us to communicate. To go about things in an orderly fashion without attacking each other like beasts in the wild. Civility must be rewarded, Captain. If it isn't rewarded, then there's no use for it. There's just no use for it at all.

Captain Rhodes: I don't want them to do anything but drop over!

Dr. Logan: Yes... well, apparently they're not inclined to do that for you, Captain.

Brilliant stuff :)

Skold
12-Jul-2014, 04:15 AM
Yeh, "Choke on 'em!" + the fact it was a spur of the moment thought by Pilato + because....

This is one of the greatest things i have ever seen! Neil, please tell me that you built a man cave or shrine of some sort around this framed.

Neil
12-Jul-2014, 06:40 AM

Read the last question - http://www.homepageofthedead.com/films/day/interviews_1.html

Wyldwraith
19-Jul-2014, 07:14 AM
Just a thought,
About the whole "Domesticate the Undead" concept. If one could a) Give one's altered/"tamed" zombies some sort of physical advantage over "wild" zombies, and b) "Program" the "tame" zombies in such a way that they themselves could go forth and tame still more zombies, you might have one of the few possible models for reclaiming the world from the undead.

Note: I myself have no clue how one might accomplish this goal in a practical sense, but in the abstract it seems obvious that if the world were overrun with billions of ghouls the only way the remnant of humanity still alive could reclaim the globe would be to use Zombies versus Zombies in order to accomplish mass-extermination.

Just a thought that zipped through my gray matter at 3:14am.

Neil
19-Jul-2014, 07:53 AM
^ Interesting - So taming behaviour that they spread to one another! Nice idea!

Mike70
19-Jul-2014, 12:09 PM
Just watched day last night on el rey and there are so many but I've always thought this among the best:
Sarah::"have you lost your mind?
Rhodes: "no ma'am, have you? I just told you I was willing to kill you if you didn't get back in your chair. You didn't get back in your chair."

Neil
19-Jul-2014, 04:45 PM
Yeh, Day is full of great dialog, much of it delivered beautifully!

krisvds
19-Jul-2014, 05:46 PM
"Now, here you come. Here you come with a whole new set of charts and graphs and records. What you gonna do? Bury them down here with all the other relics of what... once... was? Let me tell you what else. Yeah, I'm gonna tell you what else. You ain't never gonna figure it out, just like they never figured out why the stars are where they're at. It ain't mankind's job to figure that stuff out. So what you're doing is a waste of time, Sarah. And time is all we got left, you know."

Brilliant!

Moon Knight
20-Jul-2014, 02:38 AM
"Now, here you come. Here you come with a whole new set of charts and graphs and records. What you gonna do? Bury them down here with all the other relics of what... once... was? Let me tell you what else. Yeah, I'm gonna tell you what else. You ain't never gonna figure it out, just like they never figured out why the stars are where they're at. It ain't mankind's job to figure that stuff out. So what you're doing is a waste of time, Sarah. And time is all we got left, you know."

Brilliant!

That whole conversation was brilliant.

JDP
20-Jul-2014, 06:34 AM
Just a thought,
About the whole "Domesticate the Undead" concept. If one could a) Give one's altered/"tamed" zombies some sort of physical advantage over "wild" zombies, and b) "Program" the "tame" zombies in such a way that they themselves could go forth and tame still more zombies, you might have one of the few possible models for reclaiming the world from the undead.

Note: I myself have no clue how one might accomplish this goal in a practical sense, but in the abstract it seems obvious that if the world were overrun with billions of ghouls the only way the remnant of humanity still alive could reclaim the globe would be to use Zombies versus Zombies in order to accomplish mass-extermination.

Just a thought that zipped through my gray matter at 3:14am.

It's one of those "easier said than done" plans. Logan, despite his best continued efforts to tame the zombies, could not even make "Bub" to stop craving human flesh. He had to "reward" him with it. And "Bub" was the most cooperative subject he came across. So somehow training them to train other zombies to stop behaving like zombies seems like a far fetched thing.

But here is another one that to me looks a bit more plausible, at least based on what we see "Bub" do at the end (i.e. increasingly become a better shot the more he tinkers with the gun): how about training some zombies to use guns on other zombies ("Aim for the head, Bub, aim for the head..." BANG! "That's it! that's it, Bub. Now, here is your REWARD!"), then let them loose in the big populated areas. Since the other zombies won't suspect what's coming to them they will allow the trained assassin zombies near them without attacking them, and the trained zombies are just gonna keep on wasting all the other zombies they come across. Living humans just sit down and relax while they watch the massacre from a safe distance.

Trin
23-Jul-2014, 05:02 PM
This quote is from Dawn and I think it is an overlooked gem:

Cameraman to Fran after overhearing Stephen tell her to be on the roof: "Go ahead. We'll be off the air by midnight anyway. Emergency networks are taking over. Our responsibility is finished."

The way he says "Our responsibility is finished," ... calmly, with the vacant stare... is perfect. It conveys so many levels of meaning. On the small scale he is calmly of the opinion that the mess is someone else's problem even as the whole studio is in disarray around him. That subtly gives us an indication of how the mess got out of hand in the first place.

But taken to the largest scale it's a commentary on human beings no longer being the dominant species on earth. You could almost read it is, "Our responsibility [as humans] is finished."

MinionZombie
23-Jul-2014, 05:53 PM
Trin - aye, I've always loved that "Our responsibility is finished" button to that moment in the film ... very haunting and meaningful. :)

shootemindehead
23-Jul-2014, 11:07 PM
I've always just thought that that line was a perfect example of shit acting TBH..

As for my favorite line, it has to do with a certain monkey farm, and who was going to be running that particular establishment.

JohnoftheDead19
07-Aug-2014, 05:48 PM
I think my favorite moment is from day of the dead when they tear that guy apart and his voice gets higher and higher. That was a moment that stuck with me.

Neil
07-Aug-2014, 06:03 PM
I think my favorite moment is from day of the dead when they tear that guy apart and his voice gets higher and higher. That was a moment that stuck with me.
So your favourite line from the films is, "Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaakkk?" :)

JohnoftheDead19
07-Aug-2014, 10:25 PM
No that's my favorite moment. My favorite line is from rhodes:

"CHOKE ON EM! CHOKE ON EM!" Which ironically if you put on closed caption on the anchor bay release of the film, it reads SALAZAR! SALAZAR!.....thought I'd throw that in there.

shootemindehead
08-Aug-2014, 06:31 AM
What?

Salazar...as in Miguel?

Neil
08-Aug-2014, 07:18 AM
No that's my favorite moment. My favorite line is from rhodes:

"CHOKE ON EM! CHOKE ON EM!" Which ironically if you put on closed caption on the anchor bay release of the film, it reads SALAZAR! SALAZAR!.....thought I'd throw that in there.

Permission to needlessly post image again :)

JohnoftheDead19
08-Aug-2014, 06:16 PM
permission granted.

and yes THAT salazar