PDA

View Full Version : Book of the Dead

SRP76
19-Sep-2007, 03:20 AM
It's old (I read it about 15 years ago), but great, if you can find it:

http://209.85.48.11/9089/183/upload/p9008106.jpg

Book of the Dead, by John Skipp and Craig Spector.

If you happen to see this on a shelf, grab it!

This is a collection of 16 short stories, all related to the Romero-movie inspired world of the living dead.

In it, you will find even Stephen King makes a contribution, with "Home Delivery", about a pregnant woman dealing with the horror on a small island off the coast of Maine.

Also of note are "Jerry's Kids Meet Wormboy", about a man who has the perfect place to hide from the dead (a graveyard; why would they "home in" on a place they never went while alive?), "Like Pavlov's Dogs", a story about a team of scientists in a sealed "bio-sphere", trying to keep the zombie phenomenon outside the walls of their sealed environment, and "Choices", a first-person account of a lone man, surviving on the road during the entire nightmare.

If you like zombie flicks and so forth, you'll enjoy this book. There are a few crappy stories, but the top ones more than make up for it.

ProfessorChaos
19-Sep-2007, 10:03 PM
and then check out book of the dead 2: still dead, then mondo zombie:)

all are pretty damn good

SRP76
19-Sep-2007, 10:17 PM
I thought this thread got "lost". I tried to post this yesterday, but it got the "spam check delay". I figured it wouldn't appear.

I heard of the second book, but I never actually saw it anyplace.

What really sucks is that everything in the bookstores is "Fiction, by Author", so you have to sift through a ton of crap. And if you don't know the author, you're just SOL.

It would be so much better if they just grouped books by genre. Just head to the "zombie aisle", and you're set.

ProfessorChaos
19-Sep-2007, 10:21 PM
or just go to ebay:)

Danny
19-Sep-2007, 10:23 PM
wasnt home delivery turned into an animted movie by the same guys who do the hellboy cartoons?, what ever happened to that?

jdog
20-Sep-2007, 01:11 AM
i have an original print copy of this and its awsome. some real good storys in there. get it if you dont have it already.

SRP76
20-Sep-2007, 01:28 AM
My far-and-away favorite in that book was "Choices". "Like Pavlov's Dogs" runs second.

There were some horrible ones, though. "Bodies and Heads" and "Eat Me" are two that stand out as stories that I absolutely hated at the time.

ProfessorChaos
20-Sep-2007, 01:35 AM
yeah, man...choices is hands-down the best of that book. glen vasey has another story in book 2, although i've forgotten the name of it. just as good as choices though. he's the master of living-dead related short-stories.

clanglee
22-Sep-2007, 06:04 AM
"On the Far Side of the Cadillac Desert with dead folks" is My fave story in there.

ProfessorChaos
22-Sep-2007, 07:45 AM
"On the Far Side of the Cadillac Desert with dead folks" is My fave story in there.

yeah, that was in my top 3.

anyone checked out 'mondo zombie' yet? lots more stories, although not all of 'em are as great as books 1&2.