PDA

View Full Version : SNEAK PEAK 4:00 Clip from Trapped

DjfunkmasterG
15-Nov-2007, 11:16 AM
I have decided to release a 4 minute clip from the film for a short period of time. Instead of having to wait for it to load up you can download it yourself.

Head to this link and just download the clip on your own.

http://rapidshare.com/files/69778858/Trapped_Main_Edit.wmv

Post your feedback in the poll and the thread.

LouCipherr
15-Nov-2007, 11:52 AM
*pitches a tent*

AWESOME FU*KIN' CLIP!

The part where Ashley goes off on being "expendible" still gives me fu*king chills.

MinionZombie
15-Nov-2007, 12:13 PM
Better set up a camp site, cos I'm pitchin' tent as well. :D

Awesome clip dude, "Traplands 2: The Deadening!" (;)) is looking f*cking superb, not in a dissing way towards Deadlands, but this is looking a significant leap forward.

I especially like the camera work when the trapped folks are all going ape poopy, it's like 24 or something, that kind of immediacy, and the acting is pretty darn awesome too.

Ah dude - simply. cannot. wait. to see this movie! :cool:

And the DVX100B is f*ckin' spoodge-worthy! Just thought I'd add that in as well. :D

DjfunkmasterG
15-Nov-2007, 12:50 PM
Thanks MZ...

Yeah even I admit Trapped is miles above Deadlands in every aspect of the movie. I learned from a lot mistakes and I have a great crew on the film, especially the actors.

Gary

bassman
15-Nov-2007, 12:55 PM
I can't get the clip to work. :mad:

Can't you make it easy and youtube it or something?

DjfunkmasterG
15-Nov-2007, 12:58 PM
LOU... or MZ,

can one of you help Bassman out and You Tube this?

I don't have youtube access at work.

LouCipherr
15-Nov-2007, 01:15 PM
Try this...

v3inMDRo4Zk

Danny
15-Nov-2007, 02:26 PM
cheers lou, rapidshares a bitch for aol.

LouCipherr
15-Nov-2007, 02:31 PM
cheers lou, rapidshares a bitch for aol.

:thumbsup:

Understandable. AOL can be a pain.

If anyone has any issues with the RS link or the YouTube link, let me know. ;)

Mr.Zombie
15-Nov-2007, 02:33 PM
Some of the camera work and lighting is pretty good, The editing is fair. The dialogue is terrible, bad writing equals bad acting most of the time. I respect all the hard work that goes into making films, but this needed more time.

DjfunkmasterG
15-Nov-2007, 02:54 PM
Thanks for your opinion, while I disagree with you and personally think you are an asshole who just chimed in to be a dick, your opinion is your opinion.

As far as the writing, the film takes place in a small rural city in Maryland, and if you lived there then you would know this is exactly how people talk in this town. The acting, exactly fits the tension of the moment and scene.

bassman
15-Nov-2007, 02:54 PM
I gave it a Very Nice. It looked great, but some of the acting and dialogue was a bit on the negative side. I liked it over all....just show me some zombie carnage though, damn it!:p

Skippy911sc
15-Nov-2007, 03:13 PM
Looked great...I think maybe a little more sound editing...like when the first guy slams the door to the office...just sounded cheap, hell the doors in my house slam more solid that that one...try to throw in a heavy slam sound instead...but other than some little things looks better than most of the Sci-Fi channel Stuff...

DjfunkmasterG
15-Nov-2007, 03:23 PM
Thanks skippy, believe it or not that is the actual sound of the door, it is how the seminar room we shot in is set-up, but I will look into beefing it up.

LouCipherr
15-Nov-2007, 03:30 PM
Mr. Zombie... you mean to tell me you sign up today and your first post on the forum is here? Trashing this particular clip? Who exactly do you think you're trying to fool? :lol: :lol:

None of us have any problem taking constructive criticism (see bassman and skippy's posts) but your post, being your first ever here at HPotD and coming right here to say the clip sucked, comes off as you being a vendictive asshole with an agenda more than anything else. Nice try, but no cigar, troll.

Bassman & Skippy, thanks for the honest comments.

Keep in mind everyone, this is just a "preview" - this isn't finalized material for the film. The intention is to give you an idea of what's coming, not to give you a finalized piece of the film. I doubt Dj is even done color correcting that clip nor done correcting the sound.

That being said, your input and comments (other than a certain troll) are much appreciated.

Mr.Zombie
15-Nov-2007, 03:49 PM
Just because i'm new does'nt mean i'm not honest. I can see the hard work involved, i'm not a fool. It's just a clip, with a request for feedback. The video production most likely has more to offer, and it's not too late, it isnt released, theres time to hire a writer, and do it for real.

bassman
15-Nov-2007, 04:19 PM
Just because i'm new does'nt mean i'm not honest. I can see the hard work involved, i'm not a fool. It's just a clip, with a request for feedback. The video production most likely has more to offer, and it's not too late, it isnt released, theres time to hire a writer, and do it for real.

:rolleyes:

Do it for real? And what filmmaking credentials do you have? They wanted constructive criticism....not someone being an ass just for the sake of being one.

It's a good clip with only a few minor hiccups. Get out of you mom's basement and grow up.

LouCipherr
15-Nov-2007, 04:20 PM
And you just happened to sign up here today and this was your first post? Trashing a clip of Dj's film?

Even you could admit from any other angle, your intentions and actions are suspect.

...and "hire" a writer? Are you aware of the budget on this film? Who the hell "hires a writer" for a sub-$10,000 independent film?

Give to me a large break.

Danny
15-Nov-2007, 04:22 PM
:rolleyes:

Do it for real? And what filmmaking credentials do you have?

i agree with you ,but just once i want someone to say this and have the person there replying to turn out to be peter jackson or something:lol:

bassman
15-Nov-2007, 04:24 PM
i agree with you ,but just once i want someone to say this and have the person there replying to turn out to be peter jackson or something:lol:

:lol:

It would be even more funny if he were George Lucas. Because then he really wouldn't know what the hell he's talking about...

LouCipherr
15-Nov-2007, 04:24 PM
...just once i want someone to say this and have the person there replying to turn out to be peter jackson or something:lol:

Now that would be funny as all hell! :lol: Although I feel Peter Jackson or some other famous director would probably have a bit more tact than Mr. Zombie.

Mr.Zombie
15-Nov-2007, 04:33 PM
I see your point maybe the hire a writer comment was rude, I apologize for that. I don't have any filmmaking credentials. Only stating an oppinion, not trashing DJ's video at all, it has potential. This is my oppinion on those 4 minutes. It just feels to me like way too much complicated dialogue for the level of actors involved. When not speeking the actors are doing fine. More can be gotten from these actors with more silence and suspence.

LouCipherr
15-Nov-2007, 04:59 PM
The level of actors involved? Are you fu*king kidding me?

Every single one of these actors have had a lot of experience in front and behind the camera. Some of them have been in major hollywood studio productions, some of them in very well known and respected independent films. These aren't just people randomly picked off the street.

The acting in these 4 minutes alone are of higher caliber than the majority of the other films out there that i've seen with comparable budgets.

When not speeking the actors are doing fine.

These are the kind of comments that makes you come off as smug. They're speaking the whole time during the clip with the exception of the dolly shot on Jim Krut. So what you're really trying to say is, that's the only redeeming part acting-wise of the 4 minutes?

Your opinion is noted. Lets move on.

Mr.Zombie
15-Nov-2007, 05:07 PM
Why move on when you don't understand me yet. I am aware there is wall to wall dialogue, that's the problem. I don't really like the dolly shot, I thought that was Jim Krut. To me the most important part of acting is reacting. They are all fine at this skill. To me the little girl is the most believable character. Some lines are better then others though. I think maybe with tighter editing it could be better.

DjfunkmasterG
15-Nov-2007, 05:09 PM

The dialogue is something you never see in these types of film. The point of the wordy dialogue is that these people are trying to work together to find a common solution, instead of quick 4 word lines were nothing but bickering and arguing ensue. Although there anger is rising in the clip they are trying to sort out the situation and come up with a plausible plan to get out of the the theater.

You are used to a bunch of BS one line dialoge bits that serve no purpose in a story of people trying to survive. I took Romero's biggest principal of people not working together and flipped it to show they're TRYING to work together. Hence the wordy dialogue. In a proper world communication is key and how do you communicate if you are silent?

Mike70
15-Nov-2007, 05:16 PM
i enjoyed this clip and it makes me want to see more.

to paraphrase the film:

"mr. zombie are you on fuc*king drugs?"

i hope so. if not step off there leonard maltin.

Mr.Zombie
15-Nov-2007, 05:23 PM
Yeah it's not that difficult to figure it out, it leaves very little for the imagination. Good luck with it. Hope it works out for ya.

DjfunkmasterG
15-Nov-2007, 05:29 PM
This is not a movie to leave anything to the imagination. Why do movies have to always leave something for the imagination, if people want to think about something they will, but this is how I see the world through my eyes and story. It is taking a fantasty based event and injecting some reality to it, and in reality people don't sit there all quiet and leave their imagination run wild... if they did it would be a repat of zombies eating them every 10 seconds.

For future reference maybe you should make a film or two of your own before making criticisms on acting, writing, and dialog... because frankly you have just shown a community of zombie fans you don't know jack.

Mr.Zombie
15-Nov-2007, 05:41 PM
well, actually films are typically made for an audience, not for the director. Maybe you should not ask for feedback if you feel the need to insult the person giving it to you. I've considered making films, I would want to do something original though, Romero's lightning has been riden enough i think.

Watching again it's really not all that bad, just maybe rushed. Rehearsal could have been good.

DjfunkmasterG
15-Nov-2007, 05:55 PM
Thats where you and I differ... the audience is just a bonus. I am a huge zombie film fan and this is how I see the zombie infested world... at least for this film. I never set out to make the movie for an audience, I make the film based on what my feeling is that day based on the type of mood I am in at that moment.

Trapped went through 5 drafts before I settled on this version, and I settled for this because it was the most complete story I felt like telling with enough character development and confrontation between characters.

I got into making movies to tell a story, not make oodles of cash. The fact my first film is TEMPE's best selling title was just an added bonus, and yes if it helps me make a career out of it... so be it.

Side note: Riding on Romero's coat tails is not what I would call it. He may have invented the flesh eating zombie, but he is not the sole source of everything zombie. However, he is my main influence along with Zack Snyder and Dan O'bannon. Trapped is just a flick that takes everything the filmmakers tried to convey in a message and just shoves it in your face.

Romero says the biggest downfall of the human race in his zed films is the inability of people to work together. He just shows the chaos of the moment, never really showing you what could happen if you do actually try and work together...here I am trying to put that out there in way that says... Imagine if you actually worked together, you could get more accomplished.

LouCipherr
15-Nov-2007, 06:02 PM
Why move on when you don't understand me yet.

I understand a few things perfectly:

1) You signed up today

2) you came right to this thread and bypassed everything else on the forums here at HPotD. No saying "hi, i'm new" in general discussions, no introducting yourself, nothing.

3) You came here specifically to trash the clip posted by Dj and bypassed everything else.

That's perfectly clear. Perhaps you are right though, I don't understand you yet. Your opinion on the clip is duely noted, but your intentions is perhaps what I don't understand.

To be perfectly honesty though, I don't care and I doubt anyone else does either. You have stated your opinion, we responded, leave it at that. Continuing just makes you look like the obvious troll that you are considering the facts above.

..and "films are made for the audience and not the director"!? You must be on drugs. A film is made by and for the director first and foremost. He has a vision, he writes a script, he makes his vision come to life on film how HE sees it - not how he precieves the audience will. The director doesn't give one single sh*t about the viewers when he is making a film. It's all about making HIS vision come to life. Once it does, then he hopes others will enjoy what he has created.

Put it another way - do you think musicians write music for the people who listen to it or for themselves? 99% of the true musicians out there will tell you it's not about anything else but writing for themselves. If others like it, great. If not, it doesn't change anything. If you think films and directors are any different, you're diluted.

Now, can we move on, or do you have more trolling to do?

Mr.Zombie
15-Nov-2007, 06:03 PM
I respect that, only wanted to offer my opinions. Was'nt trying to hurt anyones feelings. I have nothing against you personally,making films is hard dirty work. It's awesome that people do it because they love it. I'm not going to say that everything i see is great just because of the work involved and the low budget. A brilliant movie could be made for 1000$ bucks. A crappy film could be made for 300 million. Budget doesnt matter.

DjfunkmasterG
15-Nov-2007, 06:10 PM
A crappy film could be made for 300 million. Budget doesnt matter.

Sony and Disney proved that with Spider-Man 3 and Pirates 3. :D

Skippy911sc
15-Nov-2007, 06:13 PM
:lol:

It would be even more funny if he were George Lucas. Because then he really wouldn't know what the hell he's talking about...

Really???

Did you see Episode 1...hehehehe

:D:D:D

bassman
15-Nov-2007, 06:15 PM
Really???

That's actually what I meant. George Lucas is a joke. He got lucky with the original Star Wars, the following two weren't even his, and the prequels are basically crap.

Mike70
15-Nov-2007, 06:42 PM
Really???

if you have never seen the documentary "empire of dreams" you should check it out. the part that is about the first movie does not paint a flattering picture of lucas' ability as a film maker. you get the impression that lucas had no idea what he was doing during the production of the first movie. how alan ladd, jr. had to lie to the suits repeatedly so that they wouldn't cancel the production. how the editors (who maybe won the most desereved oscars in history) had to use every single editing trick know to man to make a coherent story out of the footage they were given. how alec guiness was holding the thing together during the shooting in tunisia-which by everyone's account was a complete and total disaster.

harrison ford comes right out and says that lucas simply doesn't not understand actors or even the process of acting.

DjfunkmasterG
15-Nov-2007, 07:01 PM
That explains EP 1-3. Thanks for the education. :D

LouCipherr
15-Nov-2007, 07:07 PM
harrison ford comes right out and says that lucas simply doesn't not understand actors or even the process of acting.

:rockbrow: Wow, that's scary right there! Although in a weird way, it makes sense. :lol:

capncnut
16-Nov-2007, 06:28 AM
Where were the zombies?

livingdeadboy
16-Nov-2007, 06:29 AM
I think for what it is, it is quite good, I like the look of the film, you obviously have quite the talented DOP and a good eye for shots. My only complaint, is that I think the music is a little to heavy and should be a bit more subtle. But with that being said, the scene is not being shown in context with the rest of the movie and might play differently in context.

MinionZombie
16-Nov-2007, 10:24 AM
I think for what it is, it is quite good, I like the look of the film, you obviously have quite the talented DOP and a good eye for shots. My only complaint, is that I think the music is a little to heavy and should be a bit more subtle. But with that being said, the scene is not being shown in context with the rest of the movie and might play differently in context.
Plus it's a rough version of the scene, so at the moment, it's incomplete.

But I still think it's rather tasty, chaps. :)

DjfunkmasterG
16-Nov-2007, 10:44 AM
Here are some trivia tidbits.

The films DoP is Krystian Ramlogan, who is a very talented DoP. However, Krystian was unavailable for those sequences so I stepped in and served as the DoP. The Camera operators for the theater scenes were Chris Kiros and Elias Dancey. For the Office Scenes I was the camera operator.

Oh yes, kids... I learned a lot since Deadlands in the way of lighting and other elements. I just need to do a little more color correction for the office stuff, it is a little too dark for my liking.

Dj

Debbieangel
16-Nov-2007, 06:32 PM
I was hoping to see some zombies in your first tease clip or them pounding at the doors? Something to grab us and pull us into the story.
I read all the posts before mine and I see it is still a work in progress so, I am not voting, too early to give a good opinion on it yet to be fair...keep plugging guys!!

BTW: I do get what you are saying it is something I do want to see in a zombie film..people gathering together to fight the zombies not fighting against each other.

zombiegirl
16-Nov-2007, 06:33 PM
No offense guys and I'm not looking to flame, just offering an opinion that you asked for. I just couldn't get into it. I watched it twice and I just didn't care for the acting or the dialogue. I found it to be generic. I had a problem with the lighting too, although that could be just my pc. Plus no zombs.:(

capncnut
16-Nov-2007, 06:43 PM
I was hoping to see some zombies in your first tease clip or them pounding at the doors? Something to grab us and pull us into the story.
Mmm, I agree. I was expecting a rotting, flesh-torn hand to burst forth from my monitor and grab me by my throat. But there wasn't any zombies... not one. As Zombiegirl says, don't mean to flame or go against your work but the dialogue didn't really do anything for me. But I still look forward to seeing the finished product and going from there.

Mr.Zombie
16-Nov-2007, 10:46 PM
Thanks for your opinion, while I disagree with you and personally think you are an asshole who just chimed in to be a dick, your opinion is your opinion.

As far as the writing, the film takes place in a small rural city in Maryland, and if you lived there then you would know this is exactly how people talk in this town. The acting, exactly fits the tension of the moment and scene.

I am originally from Maryland actually, Was born in towson. Lived there for most of my life.
People in Maryland talk like this? From what i remember people in Maryland do not talk like they were saying badly written lines that sound totally unnatural. Ok Hun.
You really make yourself look bad insulting and name-calling, it can't possibly help you.

Debbieangel
16-Nov-2007, 11:43 PM
I forgot to ask you something about the camera angle..when I was watching I felt like I had to back away from the screen a bit like I was invading the actors personal space? maybe a bit too close? I am just asking..you guys know I don't put a filmmakers work down but as a viewer thats the way I felt when watching it!
Keep those zomb films coming you guys! ;)

DjfunkmasterG
17-Nov-2007, 12:17 AM
I opted for the hand held approach and a closer angle on the actors. On a PC screen it does get in your face, but on a TV or movie screen, where we have watched the dailies it looks much better. It wasn't really meant for anything smaller than a 27" TV

No offense guys and I'm not looking to flame, just offering an opinion that you asked for. I just couldn't get into it. I watched it twice and I just didn't care for the acting or the dialogue. I found it to be generic. I had a problem with the lighting too, although that could be just my pc. Plus no zombs.:(

The lighting is meant to be dark, it is a movie theater after all. As far as the no zombies... well that you will just have to wait for :) I will unleash a zombie clip soon. As far as acting and dialog... It seems most people have a problem with the scene because it is just a scene taken out of context. Probably wasn't exactly the best clip to release without delving into more detail of how and why they are in the place they are in at that moment, but I assure you the acting in this is 100 times better than Deadlands: The Rising.

deadwrtr
20-Nov-2007, 09:30 PM

Now don't take offense... you asked for it, I'm giving it.

I have to agree with the dialogue issue too. It appeared forced with a couple of the male characters. If it is a high stress situation, it doesn't seem to me that those people would respond in the manner they did. White hat guy, especially. And the male lead. If they truly are under stress, personality traits tend to come to the surface. While taking the lead and formulating a plan works well in a movie, if your intention was to get across reality, no one is that level headed, especially in a crisis, unless they deal with crisis every day of their lives. I'm guessing this isn't the case. I'm not sure what their background/daily job responsibilities in the movie include, but somehow I doubt it includes "cannabalistic psycho's" trying to eat them. Irrational behavior is commonplace in real life stress. That's human behavior, and would add a bit more realism to the scene.

Of course, I'm speaking as a member of the audience who is being asked to believe that these people are able to come up with a plan, one that works, on the fly...

That being said, the woman who said "I'm not expendable" was absolutely awesome, a totally believeable performace. I could feel what she was trying to put across. Also the other female actor. Perhaps a bit forced, but levelheaded as some women seem to be in tense situations. Unlike the 2 guys, they seemed to be discussing a bad series of plays of their last football game.

The guy with red on him didn't seem to have a whole lot to say... :D

It's understood that this is just a clip, and not much can be gleaned from it (other than already knowing the backstory), but you guys were a little harsh with Mr. Zombie. He gave you his critique and things started getting blown out of proportion. I'm not saying he did it tactfully, but the name calling and sniping didn't cement righteousness in either account. I'm not sure if his decision to jump in on this particular thread had insidious intentions or not, but you did ask for critiques...

Now people here, especially new ones reading these posts are going to be gun shy about posting their honest opinion. Internet forums are not always the best place to get one's complete intention/and or meaning across, since you are relying on your eyes only to formulate an opinion of what someone is trying to parlay, devoid of the body language and sound that accompanies interpersonal communication. Thus the smilies that often adorn posts to indicate sarcasm, happiness, distaste, whatever.

One last thing. The whole "director making the film for himself and not the audience" has always seemed a little weak to me. While I can see putting your heart and soul into making a film, it would seem all for naught if your only intention is to finish it then place it on a shelf in the closet. Saying you're making a film for yourself is selfish. Admit it, you're a talented guy and you enjoy it when other people enjoy your work. I wish I had the same kind of vision.

ngm231
21-Nov-2007, 02:39 AM
f***ing classic man loved it.

DjfunkmasterG
21-Nov-2007, 01:39 PM
Now don't take offense... you asked for it, I'm giving it.

No problem, but allow me to address each point with a response. :)

I have to agree with the dialogue issue too. It appeared forced with a couple of the male characters. If it is a high stress situation, it doesn't seem to me that those people would respond in the manner they did. White hat guy, especially. And the male lead. If they truly are under stress, personality traits tend to come to the surface. While taking the lead and formulating a plan works well in a movie, if your intention was to get across reality, no one is that level headed, especially in a crisis, unless they deal with crisis every day of their lives. I'm guessing this isn't the case. I'm not sure what their background/daily job responsibilities in the movie include, but somehow I doubt it includes "cannabalistic psycho's" trying to eat them. Irrational behavior is commonplace in real life stress. That's human behavior, and would add a bit more realism to the scene.

The clip you watched occurs near the end of the film (last 10-15 minutes) so the multiple freak outs you are looking for would have occurred way before this has happened. Not too mention I noted earlier that I wrote this in a way that is much different that the Romero stuff you are all used too. These people are actually trying to work together, instead of being at each others throats. You all see the world as we know it everyday... people being selfish, people being all about themselves. While elements of that exists I took to another level in that heated discussion exist but in the end you have to remain cool calm and collective in order for a solution to present it self.

They really have no further reason to freak out... they are inside a building which is locked up tight... think the mall in Dawn of the Dead, so to be really freaked is pointless.

Of course, I'm speaking as a member of the audience who is being asked to believe that these people are able to come up with a plan, one that works, on the fly...

:cool: I think you guys are reading way too much into a 4 minute clip. No one came up with a plan yet in the clip and we don't know when they will and if it will work. What you didn't see prior to this clip is they just have found out what is happening to them, so now they are trying to figure out what to do. :sneaky:

That being said, the woman who said "I'm not expendable" was absolutely awesome, a totally believeable performace. I could feel what she was trying to put across. Also the other female actor. Perhaps a bit forced, but levelheaded as some women seem to be in tense situations. Unlike the 2 guys, they seemed to be discussing a bad series of plays of their last football game.[/QUOTE}

You are actually almost hitting the nail on the head. The guys are supposed to represent the men who want to be the heros but end up clouding their own judgement with ego, while the woman sit and listen to them discuss the problem one becomes physically and emotionally agitated to the point she freaks out and has had enough. The plan is for them to work together, but when they found out the info that they did it put a new spin on the situation.

That girl who did freak is Ashley Young... she is amazing. I love watching that clip just for her freak out session. :D

[quote]The guy with red on him didn't seem to have a whole lot to say... :D

Thats Jack... he is the quiet type. :lol:

It's understood that this is just a clip, and not much can be gleaned from it (other than already knowing the backstory), but you guys were a little harsh with Mr. Zombie. He gave you his critique and things started getting blown out of proportion. I'm not saying he did it tactfully, but the name calling and sniping didn't cement righteousness in either account. I'm not sure if his decision to jump in on this particular thread had insidious intentions or not, but you did ask for critiques...

Now people here, especially new ones reading these posts are going to be gun shy about posting their honest opinion. Internet forums are not always the best place to get one's complete intention/and or meaning across, since you are relying on your eyes only to formulate an opinion of what someone is trying to parlay, devoid of the body language and sound the accompanies interpersonal communication. Thus the smilies that often adorn posts to indicate sarcasm, happiness, distaste, whatever.

One last thing. The whole "director making the film for himself and not the audience" has always seemed a little weak to me. While I can see putting your heart and soul into making a film, it would seem all for naught if your only intention is to finish it then place it on a shelf in the closet. Saying you're making a film for yourself is selfish. Admit it, you're a talented guy and you enjoy it when other people enjoy your work. I wish I had the same kind of vision.

Mr. Zombies tact wasn't exactly the best, had he been more informative in his distaste for the clip I most likely would not have jumped down his throat.

As far as making the film for myself... well I am. This is not a sequel to Deadlands, and has no real built in fan base other than Living Dead fans. When I wrote this it was the zombie story I felt like telling at the time, but the final audience was never a part of the equation, beacuse with zombie film fans you can't please all of them. Some want excessive gore... which I don't do because i find it to be tacky, so I keep the gore toned down, but come up with gags that are more pain based that blood based.

Plus, my idea of a zombie story and the audience's idea are probably nowhere close to each other. At this level of filmmaking you are making the film for yourself, they way you see it and if it gets distribution or a release you hope people dig it, but this was never made for zombie film fans. The biggest reason is because of the DEMON's reference and I have already listened to those complaints from a few people for some time now. When I found out I could use an actual 10 theater cineplex I was like yes... I could have a DAWN/DEMONS/ROTLD film wrapped up in one story.

Now Deadlands was made for zombie film fans because I tried to include all the items you never see in zombie films... like, Traffic Jams, Resuce shelters... things like that. Trapped... is just my way of taking the above 3 films, splashing a bit of Die Hard style dialog in the script (happens in an earlier clip) and seeing what the final outcome is.

I made it very clear to the investors that I will only shoot this one way and I am not looking for mass audience approval or their ok because, some people are going to hate it because it is just another low budget flick, and others will hate it because it is another zombie film etc etc etc. I see the film one way and that is how I want to shoot it.

As far as peoples opinions... if the feedback was like yours, which has specific points, then it helps me understand what the testee is seeing, but critique like Mr. Zombies is just pointless and has the potential of instigating trouble.

Anyway, got to run... Thanks for the feedback.

deadwrtr
21-Nov-2007, 01:57 PM
[QUOTE=DjfunkmasterG;120674]No problem, but allow me to address each point with a response. :)

They really have no further reason to freak out... they are inside a building which is locked up tight... think the mall in Dawn of the Dead, so to be really freaked is pointless.

Like I said, a four minute clip does not a movie make. Thanks for illuminating your thought process a bit more.

You are actually almost hitting the nail on the head. The guys are supposed to represent the men who want to be the heros but end up clouding their own judgement with ego, while the woman sit and listen to them discuss the problem one becomes physically and emotionally agitated to the point she freaks out and has had enough. The plan is for them to work together, but when they found out the info that they did it put a new spin on the situation.

Well, in that respect then, your vision was perfect. :)

That girl who did freak is Ashley Young... she is amazing. I love watching that clip just for her freak out session. :D

Has she had any previous acting experience? If not, she ought to consider it.

Thats Jack... he is the quiet type. :lol:

He's the guy everyone keeps watching out of the corner of their eye, just to be sure...

I made it very clear to the investors that I will only shoot this one way and I am not looking for mass audience approval or their ok because, some people are going to hate it because it is just another low budget flick, and others will hate it because it is another zombie film etc etc etc. I see the film one way and that is how I want to shoot it.

It's nice they are giving you such leeway. Most investors are concerned with how much money the movie is going to net them, not the director's artistic vision. Better hang onto that company, my guess is they're the exception, not the rule.

LouCipherr
21-Nov-2007, 03:26 PM
The whole "director making the film for himself and not the audience" has always seemed a little weak to me. While I can see putting your heart and soul into making a film, it would seem all for naught if your only intention is to finish it then place it on a shelf in the closet. Saying you're making a film for yourself is selfish. Admit it, you're a talented guy and you enjoy it when other people enjoy your work. I wish I had the same kind of vision.

First, thanks for the comments deadwrtr. We much appreciate any feedback given with honest intentions and done in a tactful way. The issue with Mr. Zombie was a bit more than just slagging him for his comments. His intentions were a bit suspect. It was a planned manuver as one could plainly see from the stated facts. However, this isn't about him, and he's received enough attention.

On the subject of the above comment - while it may be selfish to "make a movie for yourself" it is indeed how most artists and people with creative talent function. Here's the question to ask yourself: do artists paint paintings for other people or themselves? Do real musicians (not flavors of the month forced on us by MTV and popular radio) write music for themselves or others? I was in a semi-professional touring band for over 9 years. We wrote and recorded many pieces of original music - and it was most certainly not written with the listener in mind. We wrote music to satisfy our own internal need to express our emotions through our music or instruments.

Along those lines, I see making movies the same way a painter paints a picture of a musician creates a piece of music. It's an extension of themselves and it's a selfish expression of their emotions or their vision. Your comment that it's selfish is indeed 100% correct, but I do not think that is a weak argument as that is how it really is.

Now, having people enjoy the music, art, or movie you create is a fantastic bonus - and yes, one does have hopes that others like it, however, it's not the driving force of that creativity. Another way to think about it - if there was one person left on the planet and no one else, and this person was a full-fledged artist or musician - do you think he'd stop creating because there was no one left to hear his music or see his art? I somehow doubt it. I know I wouldn't. There is a need inside creative people that needs an outlet. It doesn't need an audience, it just needs to come to fruition one way or another. Hence, why I honestly believe all creativity - be it movies, music, art, etc. - is always a selfish act. The listeners ear is just a bonus. ;)

On that note, thanks very much for your comments deadwtr. You explained yourself very well in your post, and your comments had merit. That's the way it should be done. ;) :D

MinionZombie
21-Nov-2007, 05:44 PM
Just to chime in with a quick observation, or an example even, in terms of the 'who is it made for' issue, Tarantino himself has said of his own films he makes what he wants to see...the fact that other people like it too is a bonus for him.

I think that's the case with a lot of writer/directors - they're writing the movie, ergo it's their vision and obviously they're going to write something they want to write, and not only that, but direct it as well.

Jobbing directors is something else, they come on to a project to do someone else's vision and inject as much of themselves as they can within a confined remit...or they're just there for the cash.

And think about it another way, the sort of people who end up becoming writer/directors and other such creative people are doing it to be do the stuff they liked to see - I don't mean copying, but being a part of something that means something to them ... and that something is the stuff they like, so that then skips on to making the movie you want to make.

But there are people who write movies for audiences, but those sorts of movies are generally not that intelligent and not that substantial, and usually a comedy or a romcom...although within those genres, there are people creating quality and there are people writing specifically what they want.

Unless you really need the cash, or if you're forced to, why else would you write/direct something you didn't like or want to do? Ergo - it's for the self up front...you might have a bunch of ideas, but you choose the one that:

A) You want to do the most
B) You think will go down best

So it's a subtle and complex mix...

What am I ultimately saying? Everyone's wrong except me! :elol::D:lol: