PDA

View Full Version : the walking dead

Danny
13-Apr-2006, 12:51 PM
anyone else read this?

about a year ago, when i didnt read comics anymore i was in my local gamestation, which had converted the second floor into a comics book store, being the only other one within 20 miles was forbidden planet i didnt want to lose £50 in under ten seconds so i checked it out, i bought the first tpb and issue 18 of the walking dead, and ive been hooked on comics again ever since.

anyway i just got issue 26 and 27 in the mail and i gotta say i think its a bit stretched story wise,

okay so theres a town of well armed militia types one mile away fomr the prison, ONE MILE?!?, now thats not very far, you can see that far away with ease, i doubt they would have gone over what, 6 months now?, without finding any proof of each others existance.

now i just checked out the covers for the next few issues and what do you guys think of the cover of issue 30?

my bet is thats rick, people kept sending in letters saying they wanted him dead, and i think michonne (whos been talking to herself) is gonna go over to the militia side and turn on them ,leading them to the prison.

what do you guys think?

ipotts85
14-Apr-2006, 07:15 AM
i dig walking dead - just haven't read it recently. i need to get the tpb's.

Andy
14-Apr-2006, 07:54 AM
anyone else read this?

about a year ago, when i didnt read comics anymore i was in my local gamestation, which had converted the second floor into a comics book store, being the only other one within 20 miles was forbidden planet i didnt want to lose £50 in under ten seconds so i checked it out, i bought the first tpb and issue 18 of the walking dead, and ive been hooked on comics again ever since.

anyway i just got issue 26 and 27 in the mail and i gotta say i think its a bit stretched story wise,

okay so theres a town of well armed militia types one mile away fomr the prison, ONE MILE?!?, now thats not very far, you can see that far away with ease, i doubt they would have gone over what, 6 months now?, without finding any proof of each others existance.

now i just checked out the covers for the next few issues and what do you guys think of the cover of issue 30?

my bet is thats rick, people kept sending in letters saying they wanted him dead, and i think michonne (whos been talking to herself) is gonna go over to the militia side and turn on them ,leading them to the prison.

what do you guys think?
we have tags for spoilers :|

MikePizzoff
14-Apr-2006, 10:10 PM
I've had the first 2 trades for quite some time. I need to stop slacking and pick it back up.

Tullaryx
14-Apr-2006, 10:34 PM
I actually think The Walking Dead series has been some of the best written zombie fiction at the moment. Kirkman got it right by focusing on the living characters interaction with each other through the zombie apocalypse around them. At times the zombies barely make an apperance and when a reader is about to complain about where the hell the zombies when....BLAAAAAAOOOWWWW!....they come out of nowhere to take one of them out.

AcesandEights
15-Apr-2006, 12:21 AM
I actually think The Walking Dead series has been some of the best written zombie fiction at the moment. Kirkman got it right by focusing on the living characters interaction with each other through the zombie apocalypse around them. At times the zombies barely make an apperance and when a reader is about to complain about where the hell the zombies when....BLAAAAAAOOOWWWW!....they come out of nowhere to take one of them out.

I agree. I haven't been a regular buyer of a comic book in probably 5 years or so, and whenb I came accross the Walking Dead last year (after hearing about it on the old boards) I grabbed the first two trade paperbacks and enjoyed for what seemd far too little of my flight to the UK last Summer.

It's good sh*t.

Rottedfreak
15-Apr-2006, 03:36 PM

I totally agree there, if they want a mindless zombie fest featuring idiots who make stupid decisions then IDW is the company catering.

panic
16-Apr-2006, 08:26 AM
Waking Dead is a rockin' good time. I agree the focus on the characters and their conflicts is what makes it so good. The authors throw in just enough zombie mayhem to keep things rolling along.

I have the first four trade volumes, and I only have one gripe. It seems they changed artist/illustrators after the first volume's worth of issues and the art too a little bit of a turn for the worse. Its still above average for genre comics, but it started out fantastic.

Anyway, well worth the time and money for any zombie fans.

Danny
16-Apr-2006, 10:29 PM
yeah i do prefer the art in the first TPB ,but the storys gonna get pretty fast paced soon...

Rottedfreak
17-Apr-2006, 09:33 AM
Aldards style may not be as detailed as Moores but he is listening to readers, for a while now the zombies were looking a bit dull, they were all rake thin, balding and grinning in recent issues they look more distinctive.

Danny
17-Apr-2006, 05:47 PM
but still no clown or cheerleader zombies,lol.

Tullaryx
17-Apr-2006, 08:58 PM
One little gem of a zombie comic I shambled into that has great, distinct artwork and quite abit of detailed gore is Ross Campbell's The Abandoned. The book is published by Tokyo Pop and it's pretty much something in the same level as Kirkman's The Walking Dead.

Danny
18-Apr-2006, 01:25 AM
a word of warning, dont check out escape of the living dead ,it sucks, heres why.

1: it acts like dawn and day never happened (and land but thats a god send) , why ignore two of the worlds best horror films.... though technically wouldnt day be classified as a fictional drama?, anyhoo it just takes romeros story and makes a steaming turd out of it.

2: T & A , now at least once in each issue ive read a chick gets naked, as i said in another thread nudity is another warning sign of cheap horror, well only if they put an emphasis on it, cas e in point issue 1 of black gas and isue 2 of this, plus who ,aside from necrophilliacs, wants to see naked chicks in a bathroom with a corpse?.

3:the writing is like a movie from the horror channel, true drivel i could write better **** in my sleep, and that aint bragging, anyone could.

anyway it sucks balls, its the comic equivalent of vampires vs. zombies, nuff' said.

well rather than fishin my comic rant with "excelsior" or whatever let me leave you with a random thought.

what would a zombie film made by miechal moore be like?

think about it...

Pushead Jim
18-Apr-2006, 02:02 AM
but still no clown or cheerleader zombies,lol
I seem to remember reading in one of the letters sections of the comic that "theme" zombies are one of kirkmans pet peeves.

Danny
18-Apr-2006, 03:06 AM
yes...it was a pun i was making, thanks for noticing.:bored:

Rottedfreak
21-Apr-2006, 11:49 AM
The last line in 27, 'well stranger, we feed them strangers"
Does anyone think he was being serious or pulling their legs?

Danny
21-Apr-2006, 08:22 PM
have you seen the covers of the next four issues?

AcesandEights
21-Apr-2006, 10:18 PM
The last line in 27, 'well stranger, we feed them strangers"
Does anyone think he was being serious or pulling their legs?

I've been wondering aboutthat myself. I'll tell you one thing though, I wanted to make that my sig as soon as I read it (but thAt damned candy bar commercial was just *too* compelling to be ignored).