PDA

View Full Version : If you had to recommend 2 or 3 contributions...

Neil
27-Nov-2007, 12:16 PM
...which would they be?

It would have to be 'Carnivores', 'Then and Now' and 'Stranger' for me...

Relic
27-Nov-2007, 02:21 PM
Anything from Rob Morganbesser, Aaron Dudenhefer or Kevin McClintock.

Specific stories?

Strangers
Gunfight at the Circle K from Hell
Consumption

Legion2213
27-Nov-2007, 08:40 PM
Tough call! I've actually been reading the fiction on this site since I first accessed "teh intarweb" via a SEGA Dreamcast many years ago (remember them?). I've read a lot of good stuff here.

"Predatory Species" & "The Breaking Point" series are top class.

There are many, many more, most I have forgoten the titles of though.

Edit: "Foraging" & "Target Practice" are also neat little short stories

wyvern1096
27-Nov-2007, 08:41 PM
Dead of Winter series (I'm counting them as one)
A Day at Work
A Hunting We Will Go

rightwing401
27-Nov-2007, 11:24 PM
Anything from Rob Morganbesser, Aaron Dudenhefer or Kevin McClintock.

Specific stories?

Strangers
Gunfight at the Circle K from Hell
Consumption

My god. I'm....speechless.

Relic
28-Nov-2007, 03:10 AM
You shouldn't be. You're a fine writer. A very good grasp of pace and plotting, with advanced action skills. I'd like to see you post some of your horror or science-fiction stories, if you have any. I'll read all fiction, and I rate it fairly, but there are some writers I will read first thing when a new story comes out. I think every faithful reader probably has their favorite writers, you know?

It would be nice if HPOTD had the funding or if a publisher could strike some kind of agreement to publish in book form a list of 20 to 30 best HPOTD zombie stories on here. Maybe make that an annual thing here. Possibily do that with horror or science-fiction if those contributions continue to grow in the future.

Legion2213
28-Nov-2007, 04:54 AM
You shouldn't be. You're a fine writer. A very good grasp of pace and plotting, with advanced action skills. I'd like to see you post some of your horror or science-fiction stories, if you have any. I'll read all fiction, and I rate it fairly, but there are some writers I will read first thing when a new story comes out. I think every faithful reader probably has their favorite writers, you know?

It would be nice if HPOTD had the funding or if a publisher could strike some kind of agreement to publish in book form a list of 20 to 30 best HPOTD zombie stories on here. Maybe make that an annual thing here. Possibily do that with horror or science-fiction if those contributions continue to grow in the future.

Permuted press have a presence here...they could easily fill an anthology with top class stories from our writers...somebody needs to broach them about it.

And speaking of Permuted, I've just ordered "Day by Day Armageddon"...can't wait for it to arrive. :cool:

cmw43
12-May-2009, 08:49 PM
I started reading the fiction on this site when I was about 14 (now 22) and the Bodysnatchers series was always my favourite, whenever there was no fiction added I always remember checking to see if there was anything by Rob Morganbesser.

Does anyone know what he's upto these days?

livingdeadpress
13-May-2009, 03:38 AM
Okay, guys, I would be willing to publish some of the kickass zombie stories on this site.
if anyone's interested send their story to www.livingdeadpress.com and click on link to contact me.
stories are zombies of course and have to be 3,000 to 10,000 words. anything in between is fine. Must be a Us or Canada based writer.
Payment for story is one authors copy and to see you name in print.
want to know the quality of the book? Get a copy of Dead Worlds: Undead Stories and see.
stories have to be finished and if I do take a story it needs to be pulled from whatever websites its possible to do so.
no one buys the milk if the cow is free.
make sure you tell me on the submissions email that this story is not new, that its been here and perhaps other places.
depending on size of stories i will need up to 15 or so.
good luck.:lol:

Neil
13-May-2009, 09:37 AM
Stories have to be finished and if I do take a story it needs to be pulled from whatever websites its possible to do so.
no one buys the milk if the cow is free.

While I'm all for such a project, something hits me as being a bit of a shame here!

This site has taken a lot of time and effort building up a reputation for living-dead fiction, not to mention all the other popular areas of it (including these very forums). So your request (made on these forums) will result in some of the very fiction that makes this site so special, being taken completely away.

In effect you're using this site's time/effort to source your book.

While of course all fiction remains the authors property, I would suggest an alternative approach might be that fiction is changed to 'Members Only'. That way at least, the fiction is still available here, but the milk is at least not free.

livingdeadpress
13-May-2009, 05:39 PM
(((While of course all fiction remains the authors property, I would suggest an alternative approach might be that fiction is changed to 'Members Only'. That way at least, the fiction is still available here, but the milk is at least not free.)))

I totally agree, sounds fine with me.

Yojimbo
16-May-2009, 08:08 PM

HPOTD is in a unique position as the premier source of zombie fiction, and as Neil has pointed out, HPOTD has worked long and hard to get to achieve this status. I recall lurking the boards and reading the fiction way back in the day, and the collection has grown tremendously since then.

The above being said, if there was to be a collection of zombie fiction published which has been carefully selected from among the best stories from the HPOTD archives I do wish that it would be an HPOTD funded effort which would directly benefit HPOTD, both on a monetary and promotional level.

Maybe Neil and the powers that be should consider having this published under the auspices of HPOTD, rather than having this effort outsourced. I am certain that there are several members here who would be willing to contribute - not only in the way of stories, but possibly on a financial investment level - to have this happen.

dannoofthedead
18-May-2009, 04:26 AM
While of course all fiction remains the authors property, I would suggest an alternative approach might be that fiction is changed to 'Members Only'. That way at least, the fiction is still available here, but the milk is at least not free.

I think the site would lose something if the fiction section went members only. Not all the fan base for the fiction section is able to be a subscribed member (self included for now) and as both a reader and contributor to this impressive collection of not only zombie fiction but a lot of really good horror and sci-fi, I think it would be a shame to alienate so many long time readers as well as new comers to the site who might not be immediately interested in paying for fiction that they aren't sure of. I never buy a book without reading a few chapters to see if I like it.

Just wanted to add my two cents.

Neil
18-May-2009, 07:51 AM
I think the site would lose something if the fiction section went members only. Not all the fan base for the fiction section is able to be a subscribed member (self included for now) and as both a reader and contributor to this impressive collection of not only zombie fiction but a lot of really good horror and sci-fi, I think it would be a shame to alienate so many long time readers as well as new comers to the site who might not be immediately interested in paying for fiction that they aren't sure of. I never buy a book without reading a few chapters to see if I like it.

Just wanted to add my two cents.

Not talking about the entire fiction section, just fiction that has since been published, and that otherwise would be removed.

Yojimbo
20-May-2009, 01:21 AM
Not talking about the entire fiction section, just fiction that has since been published, and that otherwise would be removed.
Even that would be a shame to some degree unless the publication directly benefited HPOTD.

dannoofthedead
21-May-2009, 05:47 AM
Okay, I wasn't clear on that part. Makes sense.

deadpunk
28-Oct-2009, 05:35 PM
Dead of Winter series (I'm counting them as one)
A Day at Work
A Hunting We Will Go

Really? That made me smile. Hunting was my first contribution to the site. It seems so long ago I sometimes forget I even wrote it.

Thanks.