PDA

View Full Version : Stupid money being spent on Ebay

DubiousComforts
01-Dec-2007, 12:07 AM
Original NIGHT paper is pulling in some stupid money on Ebay lately.

Night of the Living Dead one-sheet (http://cgi.ebay.com/NIGHT-OF-THE-LIVING-DEAD-68-Romero-Horror-1-SH-POSTER_W0QQitemZ120188824935QQihZ002QQcategoryZ603 32QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) Final price $646.10

The above poster has fold separation; I could have bought a dead mint copy 8 years ago from Forry Ackerman for $200 and I balked at that price.

Two weeks ago, a single NIGHT lobby card fetched over $575 on Ebay.

Danny
01-Dec-2007, 12:17 AM
*whistles*

damn.:|

Ritchie
01-Dec-2007, 12:22 PM
This is actually not a bad price for an original NOTLD one sheet. One would have to spend somewhere in the region of $800-$1000 if one was purchasing this poster from a dealer. It's also worth considering that this poster will more than likely increase in value, and in ten years this $650 may have turned into $1000-1200. I have always coveted this poster myself.
Take it easy.
Ritchie.

DubiousComforts
02-Dec-2007, 04:18 AM
This is actually not a bad price for an original NOTLD one sheet. One would have to spend somewhere in the region of $800-$1000 if one was purchasing this poster from a dealer. It's also worth considering that this poster will more than likely increase in value, and in ten years this $650 may have turned into $1000-1200. I have always coveted this poster myself.
Take it easy.
Ritchie.
Hi Ritchie,

I agree that original NIGHT paper items will only increase in value, but $600+ is currently high for a one-sheet. A lot of posters and lobby cards aren't getting the same prices they were commanding pre-2001, and prior to online auctions, a lot of original paper could be had at much cheaper prices.

Ebay sometimes helps to inflate prices higher than usual because the buyers are afraid they'll never see the item again. It shouldn't be used as standard price guide. There have always been dealers that ask astronomical prices no matter what the current market--here's another one sheet (http://cgi.ebay.com/NIGHT-OF-THE-LIVING-DEAD-1968-Original-one-sheet-poster_W0QQitemZ130082261430QQihZ003QQcategoryZ232 2QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem) over $400 above the range you stated.

DjfunkmasterG
03-Dec-2007, 11:58 AM
Also remember, there are not a lot of original Night of the Living Dead one sheets. Certain DAWN one sheets run $200 all the way up to $650.

DubiousComforts
03-Dec-2007, 06:39 PM
Also remember, there are not a lot of original Night of the Living Dead one sheets. Certain DAWN one sheets run $200 all the way up to $650.
I don't how you'd go about looking into the actual numbers produced, but I'd assume there to be less original DAWN promotional paper than NIGHT.

NIGHT was handled by the National Screen Service, and they would make one-sheets and other promo items available directly to exhibitors. DAWN promotion seemed to be handled in-house by UFDC. AFAIK, there were only one-sheets and an 8x10 black & white still set that served as "lobby cards." If DAWN had been handled by NSS, there would have been tons of promo available just as there had been for any horror film in the late 70s. Even NIGHT had some 20-30 still photos available through National Screen Service which you'll see for sale more frequently than those original DAWN stills.

NIGHT is simply more in demand in terms of collectibility because it's a "60s" horror film as opposed to a "70s" film. I know, that makes no sense whatsoever, but the collectors market is driven by emotion and it seldom makes any sense. :D

DubiousComforts
04-Feb-2008, 07:09 AM
What was I saying about stupid money being spent on Ebay? Oh yeah...

Night of the Living Dead one-sheet (http://cgi.ebay.com/NIGHT-OF-THE-LIVING-DEAD-Original-1-sheet-1968-MINT_W0QQitemZ150209894262QQihZ005QQcategoryZ60332 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) Final price $1,376.99

Forget about ten years... in two months, the going price has more than doubled.

C5NOTLD
04-Feb-2008, 07:57 PM
The NOTLD Version B poster price was higher only because it was in mint condition which you normally don't find. You won't see too many of those auctions (Mint posters).

Someone else saw that auction and put their poster on at a higher price as well.
Won't get it since it has the normal wear/tear on the poster.

They still on average will get $400-$700.

Two weeks ago, a single NIGHT lobby card fetched over $575 on Ebay.

The lobby cards have really went out of sight price wise. Before the 25th anniversary jamboree I thought about buying a set of original NOTLD Lobby cards but they wanted the ridiculous price of $220 for the set of 8 (After all I only paid $120 for the one sheet a couple of years before :D).

I gave in and bought the lobby set and had them signed at the jamboree.
Am I glad I did.
:cool:

Ritchie
05-Feb-2008, 04:19 PM
What's called for here is some parsimony. That's how I managed to afford my DOTD UK quad poster which set me back about £250/$500-ish. Too much? possibly, but it's do it now or pay an even heavier cost later.:annoyed:
Also, I noticed from the bid history on that auction that there was somewhat of a bidding (pissing) war going on. I always steer well clear of these, or just put my bid in and walk away. Shilling is a common occurrence on feebay.

Good luck.
Best regards.
Ritchie.

DubiousComforts
07-Feb-2008, 06:34 PM
Here's some crazy stupid money being spent on ebay: Diary of the Dead One-Sheet (http://cgi.ebay.com/Diary-of-the-Dead-Orig-Movie-Poster-George-A-Romero_W0QQitemZ140204187170QQihZ004QQcategoryZ603 34QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

As if these won't be available for $10-15 at every horror convention within the next few months. ;)