PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else fancy getting the fiction forum back on track?

paulannett
06-Dec-2007, 06:28 PM
How about we start up the old fiction challenges again? Or set up a writers group and start from there?

We used to have a real base here, but now all I see are ads for permuted press and recommendations for stories, c'mon this place used to be golden! Let's give the fiction updaters reason to update more than once a year (slight exaggeration, but not much). Let's write great things again instead of having to make do with factory produced rubbish. Let's get that old buzz back!

Admittedly, I don't come to this site too often anymore. But if given the chance to work with both the writers of old (you know who you are!) and new talents, I'll be back in force!

So what do you think? At the rate of posting in this forum I should expect a reply in a week or so!:mad::D

rightwing401
07-Dec-2007, 02:28 AM
Paul!!!
Dude, what happened to you. I was starting to think you had died on us or something.
Tell you what, you throw a topic, I'll give my assesment of it.

mista_mo
07-Dec-2007, 05:27 PM
you betcha paul, i'd love too! i can't really comment on the inactivity on the forum here, as i really only drop buy for a little while every other day or so (work schedule keeps me from doing anything other then work and sleep really) but i would love to be a part in it.

as you said, my writing as a whole could improve, and thats something i've always wanted.

wyvern1096
12-Dec-2007, 01:22 AM
Sure, I'm game. Sounds like it could be fun.

dannoofthedead
13-Dec-2007, 04:44 PM
I'm just gonna' sit here and poke the fiction forum with a stick for a little while and see if it does anything. *poke,poke,poke* Nope, nothing yet.

I'd love to see the forum start moving at the pace it used to with all the interesting topics we used to discuss. Its been a full day since anyone posted anything in here. Several folks have come in and read but no one's really said anything.

*poke,poke*

Nope, still no real signs of life yet.

What we need are some good challenges, competitions between the writers out here, the workshops and group support and what not that was already suggested. Maybe even start helping writers who want some objective 3rd party opinions get the editorial help they're needing from other writers and fans of fiction.

Relic
14-Dec-2007, 09:41 PM
I'm in. Anything to keep the fiction point sharp...

paulannett
18-Dec-2007, 08:49 PM
Paul!!!
Dude, what happened to you. I was starting to think you had died on us or something.
Tell you what, you throw a topic, I'll give my assesment of it.

Hey Rightwing, yeah, I'd disappeared for a long time. University, work and life in general just got in the way of this place! Might not have been a bad thing though, this place was a terrible addiction!

Dan, wyvern, Relic and Mo, great to have you on board! I'll try to get the ball rolling tonight (though it's getting late here!)... If any of you guys have an idea for a challenge post them up!

For those that remember the previous challenges, would you want to do something similiar? i.e. a short story concept given to you by a preselected partner? Or, would you prefer a single concept and we all write a story based around that? Should we make it a competition or use the stories to purely critique eachothers work?

mista_mo
18-Dec-2007, 09:10 PM
i'd rather use it as a way to critique, then, when the ball gets ****ing greasy lightning speed, we compete.

thats my 2 cents on it anyway.

I've never doen a fiction challenge thingy before, so i dunno what to really expect. I leave the other stuff up to everyone else.

Just as long as it's mint it'll all be good.

btw, will it be limited to purely zombie fiction, or will it be open to sci-fi and general horror as well?

wyvern1096
19-Dec-2007, 12:14 AM
Dan, wyvern, Relic and Mo, great to have you on board! I'll try to get the ball rolling tonight (though it's getting late here!)... If any of you guys have an idea for a challenge post them up!

For those that remember the previous challenges, would you want to do something similiar? i.e. a short story concept given to you by a preselected partner? Or, would you prefer a single concept and we all write a story based around that? Should we make it a competition or use the stories to purely critique eachothers work?

I wasn't here for the old challenges. How did these work?

Relic
19-Dec-2007, 01:38 AM
I'm new to this site just this year, too, but I'm always open to honest critique of my work. Like Wyvern, I'm interested to see how it works. But I'm in.

Be nice for a core of us dedicated writers to get things hopping in this forum once again. From what I've read, it's really fallen to the wayside...

rightwing401
19-Dec-2007, 03:04 AM
The problem we had with all the old ones was that we would get a group together, but certain individuas would not follow through in their writing assignments. It pretty much happened every time, so that kind of killed the old challenges.

Don't get me wrong, I'll participate if everyone else is williing to.

paulannett
19-Dec-2007, 08:09 PM
I wasn't here for the old challenges. How did these work?

Each writer was designated a partner. Each writer would then give their partner an idea to form a short story around. eg Writer A gets Writer B as a partner. Writer A wants Writer B to write a zombie story based in the French Labyrnths during WW2 (which I think was an actual story). Writer B wants Writer A to write a story where a Magic 8 Ball is seen as a prophetic tool that governs a tribe (again, i think this was an actual story). :)

I don't think we should limit ourselves to sci-fi/horror. We could explore all genres... even simple challenges, such as posting a picture and each of us having to write a short piece on what's happening.

What you think?

Oh and Rightwing, I fully agree. I remember the challenges falling aprt after 2/3 stories... I hope it doesn't happen this time around!

mista_mo
23-Dec-2007, 12:23 PM
i'm down with it, altho, if this thingy takes off, we should start off with simple challenges, OR pair one exceptional writer with one who is just getting into it, or feels they need a good partner so they can improve?

Relic
24-Dec-2007, 05:33 AM
I like critiques myself. Fiction challenges are fine, and they're fun, but to me, critiques help make you a better writer. Fiction challenges really don't all that much. I would love for us to become our little own critique group. Post stories on here, perhaps one thread per story per writer, and have the others read it and give honest (and if they have to, brutal) critiques. I'm a member of several online critique groups, and when it's done right, you can really focus on your fiction mistakes and turn them into strengths.

Does a critique group sound good? Each person post a story here every 2 weeks or so?

paulannett
24-Dec-2007, 08:31 AM
Does a critique group sound good? Each person post a story here every 2 weeks or so?

You're right, in the long run, a critque group will benefit us a lot more. We should go along this route.

Although, I suppose it doesn't have to be a full story every two weeks, it could simply be a chapter, or a lengthy scene with which we need help?

mista_mo
24-Dec-2007, 11:33 AM
yea sweet, I have four days off of work, so i can now write more to my story. to be honest, I haven't been able to touch it, and I only have an extra 2 or 3 pages that I need to type up to finish the chapter i am on (which is one btw).

Shall we start a new thread, or do it via PMs or what?

paulannett
24-Dec-2007, 04:24 PM
yea sweet, I have four days off of work, so i can now write more to my story. to be honest, I haven't been able to touch it, and I only have an extra 2 or 3 pages that I need to type up to finish the chapter i am on (which is one btw).

Shall we start a new thread, or do it via PMs or what?

I'll start a new thread for it, but I figure I'll let everyone relax and enjoy their Christmas Day and New Years Day first before deadlines come into play. But don't let that stop you writing!

Mike70
25-Dec-2007, 04:08 AM
frak me paul, if it is going to get you coming around here more often i am all for it as well.

raptorman
26-Dec-2007, 07:19 AM
The fiction forum used to be really something. I never would have thought that the forum would be so untrafficked (avoiding the word dead). Either way, good luck gentlemen. Breath some life back into this forum.