PDA

View Full Version : Fiction Challenge Sign-up! FINALLY (I hear you cry!)

paulannett
29-Dec-2007, 10:19 PM
I figured this will get the ball rollin'! The OFFICIAL challenge sign-up... so, if you'd like to move along please and cast your name in stone! :D

The rules are simple enough:

Each writer will be given a number to associate their story with (keeping the author anon.)
2 weeks to write a piece
No page limit within reason (c'mon, we have lives to live here people!)
2 weeks to read, critique and rate each of those pieces out of ten.
Stories should be horror related... whether it's supernatural, or not, is up to you.

One month we may pair the writers off and each will have to write their partners premise according to their own interpretation. Example: I'm partnered with Rightwing and give him a premise about a father's desperate attempt to get his infected daughter passed quarantine. He gives me a premise about an escaped serial killer who just happens to get a job at a local carnival.

Another month we may all have to follow a single premise (which should be voted on). It'll be interesting to see how much our ideas will differ, despite using the same premise. Example: Your character has just gotten a job as a courier, he's been given a box to deliver. What's in the box, how he gets to his destination and who the package is for are all up to you.

I think the above two options would help inspire the writers and we won't be so dead in the water if Lady Inspiration doesn't strike. But a third option could be that we simply sign up and write whatever the Hell we like for our final piece and submit that before the deadline? I want your comments on this!

For those who miss the deadline, unlucky. You won't be included in the next months sign-up, but may be free to do so the month following. HOWEVER, if you are a pretty active contributor on the whole, this will be overlooked.

What d'you think? Got the balls? :D If so, get your ass in here and sign up!

***DEADLINE FOR THE SIGN-UP IS SUNDAY 6TH JANUARY***

3pidemiC
29-Dec-2007, 11:27 PM
Do film scripts count?

Danny
30-Dec-2007, 01:20 AM
i have been thinking of submitting something , -in fact i just got a sentence in my head and stopped writing this to start work on one,- but i dunno if that will pan out, people can be very...techty about sharing ideas and giving the other person free reign, im just saying.

dannoofthedead
30-Dec-2007, 05:20 AM
I'm in.

wyvern1096
31-Dec-2007, 06:36 AM
I'll give it a try. Be gentle, I haven't done this before.:D

mista_mo
31-Dec-2007, 07:50 AM
down wit it

Relic
31-Dec-2007, 04:15 PM
I'm in...

rightwing401
03-Jan-2008, 06:21 AM
Oh what the heck, I'm hopping on this train too. Give us a date for when we begin if you will Paul.

paulannett
04-Jan-2008, 05:37 PM
Epidemic, I was originally going to say no... but yes, I'll allow scripts. Afterall, it is a creative writing form too.

Hellsing, you couldn't be that hard up for ideas! There are millions out there and, to be totally honest, it doesn't have to be the most original idea (Hell, the examples I gave weren't) but the writers take on them could be.

Relic, Rightwing, Dan, Wyvern and Mo, great to have you onboard!

IF we end up with an odd amount of entrants, I'll take on the extra "work"...

capncnut
04-Jan-2008, 07:27 PM
i have been thinking of submitting something , -in fact i just got a sentence in my head and stopped writing this to start work on one,- but i dunno if that will pan out, people can be very...techty about sharing ideas and giving the other person free reign, im just saying.
I would like to contribute something myself but I'm too busy with my own project (see sig). I may write something later in the year though and will probably contact Neil if I do get it finished.

paulannett
05-Jan-2008, 10:06 AM
I'm sure we're all busy with our main projects, but a few hours on the side to explore other ideas might be the thing you need to take a breather from The Big One?

I hope you hop onboard!

paulannett
08-Jan-2008, 12:10 PM
The final count:

Relic, Rightwing, Wyvern, Danofthedead, Mista_Mo and... myself... Just the six, it could be worse!

Anyway, if the five of you could post your email addresses, so we can contact eachother, that'd be great.

Finally...

The first partnerships!

- Paul and Mista_Mo
- Relic and Wyvern
- Rightwing and Danofthedead

The next step is to email your partner with a plot summary. I've included two examples from the original challenge 3 years ago (I found them in my sent folder), just to give you an idea what to send:

The plague is ravaging the world while civilization becomes anarchy. A close-knit community of people are trying their best to survive and help each other. The battle against the undead is holding out for now in the town but an anomaly is occurring; not everyone who is bitten becomes infected. In fact, it appears that only people of one certain ethnic background aren't being affected. This has torn the community apart and now it's everyone for themselves.

The story takes place where a child (8-10 years old) of the perceived immune race has run into the house of a neighbour for protection. The parents of the child were killed. The neighbour, a doctor, has a spouse who's been bitten and is slowly dying. The undead are growing in numbers while neighbours are turning on each other.

You can choose the ethnic background of the child but it must be a minority in the neighbourhood. Additionally, the neighbour must be of a different ethnic background. The parents were killed either by a mob of zombies that tore them apart or by an outraged neighbour who lost their family to the plague.

A group of people fortify a small area; a niche of houses. In one of the houses there’s a radio the survivors use to notify help. But, they have no such luck.
However, one day, the dead break in and the group is separated--one with the radio, the other without. Another rescue SOS is sent out and, surprise, surprise, they succeed. And a helicopter is being dispatched… which must rescue both survivors…

Please let me know if you are having problems getting in touch with your partner. The deadline is the 26th January (allowing a few extra days to get in touch with one another).

Also, if anyone flakes out on you, let me know ASAP and I'll do my best to get someone (i.e me) to write the piece!

mista_mo
08-Jan-2008, 12:14 PM
whoooo, hells yea fiction buddieh!!!!!!

dunno if ya got my e-mail, but it's in my profile...i think...

I'll send you a plot summary asap...is there a length on it that is required? (ie, can it be just 3 sentances, or 3 paragraphs kinda deal)

paulannett
08-Jan-2008, 03:17 PM
There is no minimum or maximum, but please keep it within reason... afterall, most of us have lives to lead. :)

As for the plot outline, it doesn't really matter. Whether it's 3 paragraphs, or 5 sentences. But try to give a idea/premise/situation that the other writer can fully comprehend and dig their teeth into! :)

Oh, for everyone, email me your completed piece whenever you want before the deadline.

rightwing401
09-Jan-2008, 10:40 PM
My email's rightwing401[AT]yahoo[DOT]com <-- Edited by WEBMASTER. Real email addresses can get 'picked up' and spammed...

Let's see what you've got for me dan.

wyvern1096
09-Jan-2008, 11:01 PM
Mine's JayP71[AT]gmail[DOT]com

mista_mo
11-Jan-2008, 12:15 PM
canadian_idiot46[AT]hotmail[DOT]com

Danny
11-Jan-2008, 05:24 PM
I would like to contribute something myself but I'm too busy with my own project (see sig). I may write something later in the year though and will probably contact Neil if I do get it finished.

actually ive started something called ,right now as a working title, "the short walk"- guess the reference for a cookie and its a short story thats shaping up nicely.

Relic
14-Jan-2008, 11:48 PM
Mine's beergut222002(at)yahoo.com

dannoofthedead
17-Jan-2008, 07:37 AM
dannoofthedead(at)yahoo(dot)com

and damn if i ain't falling a bit behind.

Rightwing, let me know that you got my email. My pc has been jacking me around a bit today. It hasn't wanted to send any of my emails.

paulannett
19-Jan-2008, 09:02 PM
There is a new deadline... 3rd February, an extra week. There are several reasons for this:

1) I have received several PMs asking for an extension, life can get in the way afterall. And yes, the deadline extension suits me too!

2) I messed up and my partner Mista Mo only get his idea TODAY (I thought I'd sent an email but had saved it as a draft instead and then, when I sent it, it was to the wrong address. Yeah, I'm an idiot).

So there we go. Hopefully this will lessen the strain on everyone and will give more time to polish off our masterpieces.

mista_mo
20-Jan-2008, 09:49 AM
thanks alot you big floppy cock.

hah just joshin ya buddy.
it's nice to get the idea, and to have that extra week to do it as well.

rightwing401
20-Jan-2008, 03:45 PM
I got it dan, no worries here.

wyvern1096
22-Jan-2008, 08:21 PM
Cool, assuming I have no more repair emergencies at home (ahhh, the joys of home ownership) I should be good.

dannoofthedead
28-Jan-2008, 03:24 AM
I'm dumb as a sack of hammers today. What do I do with my piece once its done? To I submit it in the fiction section, send it to my partner, post it on the board, etc...? I'd probably know the answer if I scrolled back up and read the original post.