PDA

View Full Version : dawn of the dead.....

acealive1
07-Jan-2008, 07:23 PM
ok so i watched it for the first time in a long time last night/this morning. and the one thing that got me was why the fcuk did they not just wait it out in the mall? also,what was with the whole not grabbing enough ammunition? and also giving the old man a chainsaw was bad too.

also,they had a sports store in the mall,no one thought to grab some roller blading pads to shield themselves from bites? or what about in andy's store? no armor to be had? or just too dumb to remember to get it?

one more thing,why did that dumb ass girl go over to andy's shop when she knew the dog made it in safe but then andy was lunch meat soon after?

SRP76
07-Jan-2008, 07:30 PM
They told you why they left the mall. They were sick of waiting around to get picked off one by one. They felt if they stayed, it could only end in death eventually.

And forget pads; I'd go with leather trenchcoat, gloves, and boots. Ever bite a cow? This would have the same effect.

bassman
07-Jan-2008, 07:35 PM
In a nutshell, it's an action movie with little thought put into it.

Not exactly a thinking man's film.

Dead Hoosier
07-Jan-2008, 09:44 PM
Leaving the mall was dumb, but who knows how stir crazy a group might get after an extended period of time, regardless of the seemingly ideal surroundings. I agree, it was dumb, but the chick going to Andy's to get the dog takes the cake, although I've known plenty of idiotic females that might do something equally stupid.
I also watched it the other day and noticed the following:

- At the final dock scene, there appear to be numerous boats pulled off-dock. I always thought that would be one of the best ways to survive, and there would naturally be boat owners seeking that refuge. In this case, it just didn't fit into the ending I guess.

- Why in the hell would there be a head in a cooler in a tiny boat?

- The chick in the video on Steve's boat is the hottest female in any zombie film I've seen.

- The chick

ProfessorChaos
07-Jan-2008, 11:16 PM
- The chick in the video on Steve's boat is the hottest female in any zombie film I've seen.
*high-five*:cool:

acealive1
07-Jan-2008, 11:24 PM
Leaving the mall was dumb, but who knows how stir crazy a group might get after an extended period of time, regardless of the seemingly ideal surroundings. I agree, it was dumb, but the chick going to Andy's to get the dog takes the cake, although I've known plenty of idiotic females that might do something equally stupid.
I also watched it the other day and noticed the following:

- At the final dock scene, there appear to be numerous boats pulled off-dock. I always thought that would be one of the best ways to survive, and there would naturally be boat owners seeking that refuge. In this case, it just didn't fit into the ending I guess.

- Why in the hell would there be a head in a cooler in a tiny boat?

- The chick

i'd love going stir crazy and having all the amenities of being at home rather than being outside of the mall and being lunch.

clanglee
07-Jan-2008, 11:24 PM
Ever bite a cow? This would have the same effect.

Ummmm. . I'm scared to ask, but have you? :lol:

SRP76
08-Jan-2008, 12:09 AM
Ummmm. . I'm scared to ask, but have you? :lol:

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get close enough. Believe me, I'm a mega-fan of beef. I'd eat a cow raw if I could.

All I see when I pass a field full of them is ribeye steaks, porterhouse, prime rib, beef tips, hamburgers...

....damn, now I'm hungry....

clanglee
08-Jan-2008, 12:33 AM
:lol: Ok then. Yeah, I guess we've all(well most of us) taken a bite out of a cow now that I think about it. Just had the hide removed first.

SymphonicX
08-Jan-2008, 04:16 PM
yeah I watched this movie last night, well some of it...

What really annoys me more than anything is somehow the zombie infection changes the vocal chords of the undead and makes them sound like cats...?? Suspect.

What really annoys me also, is the human's instant descent into evil....we weren't more than 20 mins into the movie before the "bad guy" shows up toting his gun around with boneheaded cohorts...excuse me for point out, but didn't it take a fair amount of pressure to turn people into evil, self centred morons in the original movies?

What really annoys me also is comparing the pregnant woman's death timing to the little girls, the pregnant woman takes days and days whilst the little girl, who suffered only a lip biting (which I'm pretty sure would kill you through eventual blood loss (?) or infection) turned on the dawn of the outbreak....why was the little girl not writhing in agony for days before dying? Why didn't the pregnant woman turn almost immediately? Sure there's a difference in the severity of the wounds but no real change in their mortality rate - surviving having her lips ripped off in a car accident of some kind seems completely survivable as there's no arteries there...maybe. Also compare this to the fat woman brought in a trolley to the mall - she was deep in the throws of infection - there was no mortal wounds there right? So a zombie bit her, and she turned - if she died she would've been a cat-like screaming ghoul a long time before they got her out of the truck - so if she sustained a non-fatal zombie bite that killed her through infection - why didn't the pregnant woman turn as quickly?

What really annoys me also, is the complete lack of emotion or real interaction with the mall...it was a setpiece and that's all.

What annoys me more than anything else, if they'd called this movie 29 Days later: American Outbreak I'd have enjoyed it a lot more...also remove the mall from the equation too, and the zombie baby.

:)

Oh and get rid of the stupid token goth, token troubled policeman, token bad guy that turns good, token redneck fighters, token good honest white guy, token smarmy git

Dead Hoosier
08-Jan-2008, 05:07 PM
So, are you saying you don't like it?:lol:

clanglee
08-Jan-2008, 08:41 PM
I don't recall a token Goth. And when did goth become token?

SRP76
08-Jan-2008, 09:39 PM
Not to mention troubled cops and redneck fighters. I can't remember seeing a movie that featured redneck fighters, except maybe Next Of Kin.

Skippy911sc
08-Jan-2008, 10:43 PM
I think that people will go stir crazy if not given anything to look forward to. I think their move to make a run for it and try out their luck on an Island or on the Lake is very reasonable. Having said this...I will say that most of us have a different perspective on the situation...being Dead Heads ;) we have this feeling that we know better and often we do. I work from home and at times go a week without leaving the house...this can cause a little bit of anxiety and make one have a need to leave. You go to town for an hour or so and you are back to normal and can now go home for another extended stay. One must also recognize that my home is in the middle of no-where and I can go days with out seeing anyone (except family) No neighbors to say hi to, no-one. So looking at the film from a limited knowledge point of view has me convinced that most people put in the same position would do the same thing.

Except me...FVck That...leave a perfectly good bunker type establishment for the water...no thanks ma!

:D:lol:

SRP76
09-Jan-2008, 09:14 PM
Why do people have a problem with them leaving the mall in the first place?

In every discussion about the original, all I see is "the mall was just a fool's paradise", "the mall was more a prison than a salvation", and blah-blah-blah. The characters are ridiculed for taking refuge in the mall.

Yet, in the remake, people complain that the characters don't sit in the mall forever. W...T....F.....

Dead Hoosier
09-Jan-2008, 10:13 PM
It's called bitterness...some people will never get over the "name rape." Others of us saw the film as a homage and for its face-value...a good action/horror flick with perhaps the best intro in horror history.

Doc
09-Jan-2008, 10:28 PM
stupid token goth, What? Where? Who?

DubiousComforts
09-Jan-2008, 11:31 PM

In every discussion about the original, all I see is "the mall was just a fool's paradise", "the mall was more a prison than a salvation", and blah-blah-blah. The characters are ridiculed for taking refuge in the mall.
It's called having a point to the story. In the original, the mall was a "fool's paradise" only because that's what the characters turned it into, including Fran who had warned the others of missing this exact point. Nobody "ridicules" the characters for taking refuge in the mall, but it is what leads to their eventual downfall (and death for Roger and Stephen).

In DAWN '04, what was the point of using the mall setting? There was no point. The location was secure before the main characters even arrived, so it added nothing to the "action" aspect of the film. It could have easily been a Wally World, a bowling alley, or a VFW hall. (Actually, it would have been a huge improvement and quite a commentary on modern society had the movie taken place in Wal-Mart, but fat chance of that ever happening.)

I'd hardly give the remake's characters credit for wanting to abandon the mall because they understood it to be a shallow temple of consumerism. :lol: More likely, they had extremely short attention spans and were quickly bored by their environment. Perhaps the filmmakers of DAWN '04 were making a larger statement by demonstrating that most audiences are gullible enough to swallow anything, but you won't catch me giving them credit for being that clever.

SymphonicX
12-Jan-2008, 03:20 PM

Sorry i was being ironic with the goth statement -still they were going to have a goth chick in it originally!!

oh and all goths are token....sorry.....its token "I don't want to fit in so I'm going to dress in black like all the other people who don't want to fit in"

(by the way Im a metal head.....lol)

Yet, in the remake, people complain that the characters don't sit in the mall forever. W...T....F.....

I think its because the mall was a set piece and never a factor in the plot. The mall never seduced them, never gave out any message other than "there's food and water here"....the mall to these characters never implied a danger to either their morality, or sense of humanity....they enjoyed the mall's offerings right til the very end and we didn't see one change in their character because of it.

It's called bitterness...some people will never get over the "name rape." Others of us saw the film as a homage and for its face-value...a good action/horror flick with perhaps the best intro in horror history.

No its definitely not bitterness for me...you're right about the name r@pe...definitely a good point as I said earlier, should've been called 29 days later: american outbreak - still the movie WAS EXTREMELY corny, had 2 dimensional characters, a lack of subtext...****, a lack of ANY text...the action sequences may have been good, but the action sequences in 2 fast 2 furious are probably quite good yet you don't really hear anyone touting it for being a good movie.

Legion2213
13-Jan-2008, 07:00 PM
I think that being surrounded by thousands of zombies when you only have half a dozen bullets between you may just prompt one to stock up on ammo and then up-sticks and find a little island somewhere.

Just my opinion. :)

acealive1
13-Jan-2008, 09:20 PM
I think that being surrounded by thousands of zombies when you only have half a dozen bullets between you may just prompt one to stock up on ammo and then up-sticks and find a little island somewhere.

Just my opinion. :)

wouldnt it have made more sense or andy to lob grenades into the parking lot and take out possibly 10 zombies at a time?

Doc
13-Jan-2008, 10:14 PM
wouldnt it have made more sense or andy to lob grenades into the parking lot and take out possibly 10 zombies at a time?

Unless they're scenes in the dvd that weren't in theaters i want to say did he even had any?:confused:

acealive1
13-Jan-2008, 10:34 PM
Unless they're scenes in the dvd that weren't in theaters i want to say did he even had any?:confused:

im gonna venture and say he had grenades

Legion2213
13-Jan-2008, 11:10 PM
There are no grenades in the Dir Cut, nor does he mention them in the little special feature that documents his "final days" in his gunshop...

I think he does mention making petrol bombs but the zeds just wander around a bit and don't really burn too well.

acealive1
14-Jan-2008, 12:27 AM
There are no grenades in the Dir Cut, nor does he mention them in the little special feature that documents his "final days" in his gunshop...

I think he does mention making petrol bombs but the zeds just wander around a bit and don't really burn too well.

you own a surplus store........historically they have grenades. at least in los angeles they do

DubiousComforts
14-Jan-2008, 02:27 AM
They were too busy sitting around drinking coffee and shooting celebrity lookalikes rather than devising a strategy for when Andy would eventually run out of food. And the main guy communicating with him is a trained police officer.

Apparently the screenwriter is the only person that couldn't foresee the food shortage problem that comes with being holed up in a gun shop.

Btw, I haven't researched this point, but what islands are there in Lake Michigan (islands that wouldn't already have have thousands of people seeking refuge, anyhow)?

Legion2213
14-Jan-2008, 03:22 PM
DC, I'm in the UK mate, so I don't know about US geography, so there may or may not be islands around....but as the Dock Police guy said in the original Dawn when asked which island they where going to..."any island". :D

Oh as for andy's food situation, I would have thought that a surplus/gun/survival store would have had some MRE's and stuff?

Dead Hoosier
14-Jan-2008, 03:50 PM
Surplus stores DO NOT sell LIVE grenades. That is a military item, illegal for sale on the open market. Stores like that do have dummy grenades, but that's it...even in L.A.
The people in the mall had no access to ammo in the mall itself. The original Dawn took the liberty of creating a gun store in a mall, something that I doubt has ever happened anyhere. Even with tons of ammo, pistols would do you little good with the running zombies. That movie was full of IMPOSSIBLE, running head shots.
But this film wasn't supposed to be a "thinking man's movie," and never pretended to be...unlike a certain picture with the initials LOTD, which has just a little brain stimulation.

SRP76
14-Jan-2008, 07:39 PM
Land wasn't made for thinking, either. The more you think during the movie, the more it doesn't make any sense at all.

acealive1
14-Jan-2008, 09:14 PM
Surplus stores DO NOT sell LIVE grenades. That is a military item, illegal for sale on the open market. Stores like that do have dummy grenades, but that's it...even in L.A.
The people in the mall had no access to ammo in the mall itself. The original Dawn took the liberty of creating a gun store in a mall, something that I doubt has ever happened anyhere. Even with tons of ammo, pistols would do you little good with the running zombies. That movie was full of IMPOSSIBLE, running head shots.
But this film wasn't supposed to be a "thinking man's movie," and never pretended to be...unlike a certain picture with the initials LOTD, which has just a little brain stimulation.

try western surplus in los angeles. also, in a lill movie called commando he picks up some rocket launchers and remote detonators from a surplus store,so uh........u calling them liars?

maybe it varies state by state,as california allows u to have weed

DC, I'm in the UK mate, so I don't know about US geography, so there may or may not be islands around....but as the Dock Police guy said in the original Dawn when asked which island they where going to..."any island". :D

Oh as for andy's food situation, I would have thought that a surplus/gun/survival store would have had some MRE's and stuff?

as soon as i saw the dawn remake for the first time, all i thought was "snyder read into that cops comment about 'any island' "

and yes most surplus stores have MRE's, u can take a single case of MRE's (depending on what it is) and eat good for a few weeks if not more than a month

ProfessorChaos
14-Jan-2008, 10:33 PM
i think i've ran across more mre's in my day than the average bear, and i don't recall any cases of mre's containing more than 24 individual meals per case (maybe only 12, it's been a few years). surely andy would have a few cases (at least) in the surplus store, though. so there's another plot hole for the "haters"

i've not chimed in too much about the land vs. dawn argument, cuz i think it's like comparing apples to oranges. i will say, however, though, that both films are in my dvd collection, if only for completion's sake. i don't watch either of them regularly, as dawn is on tv once a week (why is the original dawn never on tv?) and land is not able to keep my attention, as there are too many little things that i can't get past...there are flaws with dawn 04, true, and some are very big flaws (running, hissing ghouls), but i find it a more enjoyable film, or at least i did upon initial viewing.

while it's not even in the same ballpark as both versions of night, or the original dawn or day, i still remember the first time i saw it (in theaters on opening day with two of my marine buddies on the first afternoon showing-we got off early that weekend after a ten-mile hike) and dawn 04 definitely struck me as a more entertaining movie....

....but maybe that's the key word: entertaining.:shifty:

(talking myself in circles here, and the ladybird is making dinner, so i'll close here.)

anywho....the dawn vs. land argument will never die, will it?:bored:

SRP76
14-Jan-2008, 10:50 PM
The only one real glaring problem I had with Dawn'04 was The Andy Situation.

You have a gaggle of jackasses in a mall. Wonderful. They end up on the roof. Brilliant. They see some poor guy named Andy standing on the roof of a gunshop. Terrific. They ignore him pretty much for the rest of the movie. AAARRRGH!!

Do any of them have a brain in their head?! There's a GUNSHOP across the way. WHY are you monkeys hanging around in a glorified Starbucks all day?! Get your asses over there!

Every waking moment of their miserable existences should have been dedicated to finding a way to open a supply line from that gun store.

But no, we'd rather take our chances swinging O-Cedar mops, plungers, and croquet mallets at the dead when they jump us. Idiots.

acealive1
14-Jan-2008, 11:46 PM
i think i've ran across more mre's in my day than the average bear, and i don't recall any cases of mre's containing more than 24 individual meals per case (maybe only 12, it's been a few years). surely andy would have a few cases (at least) in the surplus store, though. so there's another plot hole for the "haters"

i've not chimed in too much about the land vs. dawn argument, cuz i think it's like comparing apples to oranges. i will say, however, though, that both films are in my dvd collection, if only for completion's sake. i don't watch either of them regularly, as dawn is on tv once a week (why is the original dawn never on tv?) and land is not able to keep my attention, as there are too many little things that i can't get past...there are flaws with dawn 04, true, and some are very big flaws (running, hissing ghouls), but i find it a more enjoyable film, or at least i did upon initial viewing.

while it's not even in the same ballpark as both versions of night, or the original dawn or day, i still remember the first time i saw it (in theaters on opening day with two of my marine buddies on the first afternoon showing-we got off early that weekend after a ten-mile hike) and dawn 04 definitely struck me as a more entertaining movie....

....but maybe that's the key word: entertaining.:shifty:

(talking myself in circles here, and the ladybird is making dinner, so i'll close here.)

anywho....the dawn vs. land argument will never die, will it?:bored:

well yea,ya gotta ration the MRE's cuz if power was out at some spots,that means no plumbing. LOL

and between the stenches and the backed up toilets,it had to smell bad.

The only one real glaring problem I had with Dawn'04 was The Andy Situation.

You have a gaggle of jackasses in a mall. Wonderful. They end up on the roof. Brilliant. They see some poor guy named Andy standing on the roof of a gunshop. Terrific. They ignore him pretty much for the rest of the movie. AAARRRGH!!

Do any of them have a brain in their head?! There's a GUNSHOP across the way. WHY are you monkeys hanging around in a glorified Starbucks all day?! Get your asses over there!

Every waking moment of their miserable existences should have been dedicated to finding a way to open a supply line from that gun store.

But no, we'd rather take our chances swinging O-Cedar mops, plungers, and croquet mallets at the dead when they jump us. Idiots.

LOL yea,it boggles me as to how people dont think normally in a situation like that. also,how did MALL GUARDS A) get guns and B) take a POLICE OFFICER and 4 people hostage. it seems people dont realize once martial law is over,they'll be thrown under the jail at least for imprisoning a cop.

what was with the guy DROPPING A CROW BAR and picking up a mallet? i guess there was some strange logic behind it.

if they worked hard enough,they could have built a causeway between the mall entrance and the front of andy's gun shop. re enforced ply wood and metal with stand up backs on both sides. wide enough to fit oh lets say a mall shuttle in there.

im also guessing with about a weeks worth of damage control,they could have virtually eliminated the zombie threat around the mall and then set up a protective perimeter and sured up the entrances while they were at it.

all in all,snyder wasnt thinking sequel for some reason even after all the money it made. now that ship has sailed and he's looking like a complete dumb ass.

one last thing,if there was so much propane readily available,why not spend an hour lobbing tanks of it over the side of the mall? u saw how much damage one of those things did when they left the mall.

Doc
15-Jan-2008, 02:17 AM
im also guessing with about a weeks worth of damage control,they could have virtually eliminated the zombie threat around the mall and then set up a protective perimeter and sured up the entrances while they were at it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if remember right weren't zeds appearing more and more each day?:rockbrow:

[/QUOTE]

acealive1
15-Jan-2008, 02:44 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if remember right weren't zeds appearing more and more each day?:rockbrow:

[/QUOTE]

did u not see how many stenches were layed out with one small propane tank?

DubiousComforts
15-Jan-2008, 03:02 AM
all in all,snyder wasnt thinking sequel for some reason even after all the money it made. now that ship has sailed and he's looking like a complete dumb ass.
:lol: I love this guy.

Arcades057
15-Jan-2008, 03:46 AM

I wouldn't go that far.

Unlike GAR, his entire rep doesn't depend on zombies or that one film.

He simply moved on.

As for GAR...it's pretty much all he has. If it wasn't for the success of the Dawn remake, he would never have had a chance to crap out Land.

And, here it is just a couple of years later, and he's looking to give us even more of the same.

If it weren't for Zack, GAR would be hoping that Anchor Bay would release yet ANOTHER special edition of Dawn...just so it would keep him in McDonald's Dollar Meals for the rest of his convalesence.:)

acealive1
15-Jan-2008, 04:16 AM
:lol: I love this guy.

im just looking at it rationally. do u really think they had a sequel planned for back to the future or ALL of those jack ryan films?

DubiousComforts
15-Jan-2008, 07:17 AM
im just looking at it rationally. do u really think they had a sequel planned for back to the future or ALL of those jack ryan films?
Hey, I agree with you. Snyder could have cared less about DAWN. It may as well have been a Leave it to Beaver remake. His career will follow the usual Hollywood formula as long as he's a good boy and doesn't rock the boat.

If it weren't for Zack, GAR would be hoping that Anchor Bay would release yet ANOTHER special edition of Dawn...just so it would keep him in McDonald's Dollar Meals for the rest of his convalesence.:)
Look, it's understood that you seldom know what you're talking about, but for the benefit of everyone else: Romero doesn't make any money from DAWN dvd releases. He was bought out a long time ago by Richard Rubinstein who may have either transfered or sold the rights to a new company, I don't recall which. Perhaps Romero is paid to do a new commentary or interview, but that's about it.

And it's spelled convalescence. Careful with those big words, you may hurt yourself. You may thank me now for helping you out. :D

SRP76
15-Jan-2008, 07:22 AM

Well, since Back to the Future actually had "To Be Continued" at the end, I'd say yes, they did plan to have sequels.

DubiousComforts
15-Jan-2008, 07:31 AM
Well, since Back to the Future actually had "To Be Continued" at the end, I'd say yes, they did plan to have sequels.
They did plan for the Back To The Future sequels, and even shot parts 2 & 3 simultaneously. And I'm sure that Tom Clancy was hoping for many Jack Ryan movies, so I don't agree with Ace on those examples. But other than that, he's sure got Hack Snyder's number.

SRP76
15-Jan-2008, 07:33 AM
I don't see how you could make a Dawn'04 sequel, though. Everyone - everyone - died at the end!

Unless you guys mean doing a Day remake to follow it up. But that's already being covered.

DubiousComforts
15-Jan-2008, 07:40 AM
I don't see how you could make a Dawn'04 sequel, though. Everyone - everyone - died at the end!
We may think they all died, but we only really saw the zombies killing a camera.

And the head in cooler was still kickin'. I'm sure it had all sorts of wacky adventures after scaring off our heroes.

SRP76
15-Jan-2008, 07:47 AM
We may think they all died, but we only really saw the zombies killing a camera.

And the head in cooler was still kickin'. I'm sure it had all sorts of wacky adventures after scaring off our heroes.

The Adventures of Head. Awesome flick. Should win Best Picture. Hey, if that stupidassed The Last Emperor can win it over the awesome The Untouchables, anything is possible!

DubiousComforts
15-Jan-2008, 08:04 AM
The Adventures of Head. Awesome flick. Should win Best Picture.
HEAD of the DEAD
The brains are already dead
It's the idiots that are still alive

We'd better copyright this quickly!

SRP76
15-Jan-2008, 08:20 AM
HEAD of the DEAD
The brains are already dead
It's the idiots that are still alive

We'd better copyright this quickly!

Starring the cast of American Pie. I hate those idiotic excuses for "movies". Everyone involved should be eaten in our new Dead film.

bassman
15-Jan-2008, 11:43 AM
They did plan for the Back To The Future sequels, and even shot parts 2 & 3 simultaneously.

In my best impression of Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor in Superman Returns....

...WRONG!!!

Sorry, but the "To Be Continued..." at the end of the first BTTF was only a joke. The film is about time travel so they thought it would be funny to have the delorean fly off and then read "To Be Continued....". Several years later they decided to make the sequels together.

It's all discussed by the creators on multiple Documentaries.

I'm a BTTF fan.:cool:

acealive1
15-Jan-2008, 03:35 PM
They did plan for the Back To The Future sequels, and even shot parts 2 & 3 simultaneously. And I'm sure that Tom Clancy was hoping for many Jack Ryan movies, so I don't agree with Ace on those examples. But other than that, he's sure got Hack Snyder's number.

a lot of movies end with cliff hangersand dontget sequels........ the blob,anyone?
matrix almost didnt have one for the simple fact it took so long in between the first and reloaded.

hmm lemme see theres more films like this out there. and yes i know BTTF 2 and 3 were shot at the same time,i was only in the immediate area when it was happening :D

DubiousComforts
15-Jan-2008, 03:57 PM
The film is about time travel so they thought it would be funny to have the delorean fly off and then read "To Be Continued....". Several years later they decided to make the sequels together.
I wasn't referring to the "To Be Continued" tag, but for how long do you really believe they were clueless as to making a sequel? The films were all released within 4-5 years.

I'm sure Michael J. Fox really had to think really hard about continuing with Back To The Future given the hot Teen Wolf franchise. :D

SymphonicX
15-Jan-2008, 04:04 PM
As for GAR...it's pretty much all he has. If it wasn't for the success of the Dawn remake, he would never have had a chance to crap out Land.
.:)

What's with this general consensus that Dawn 04 spawned the current speight of Z movies?

The series was revived with 28 days later....then Shaun of the Dead, THEN the Dawn remake...then Land.

bassman
15-Jan-2008, 04:06 PM
I wasn't referring to the "To Be Continued" tag, but for how long do you really believe they were clueless as to making a sequel? The films were all released within 4-5 years.

I'm sure Michael J. Fox really had to think really hard about continuing with Back To The Future given the hot Teen Wolf franchise. :D

Watch the documentaries on the DVDs. There was no intention of a sequel at the time of filming. Whether it was a hit or not, the creators weren't even thinking of a sequel.

When it was a huge hit the studio wanted a sequel so THEN Zemeckis and Gale decided that they had better do a sequel instead of letting someone else come in and ruin it.

The intention of a trilogy was never there during the making of the original.

Arcades057
15-Jan-2008, 04:12 PM
What's with this general consensus that Dawn 04 spawned the current speight of Z movies?

The series was revived with 28 days later....then Shaun of the Dead, THEN the Dawn remake...then Land.

On that I would say: maybe....maybe not.

28 Days came out first...but I actually think that it was the general trend in remakes in Hollywood that had more to do with remaking Dawn than the so-so success of 28 Days.

Shaun didn't come out in the States until well after Dawn 04 did....and Dawn 04 was way more successful.

I think Universal saw that success, and decided to roll the dice on a GAR film.

SymphonicX
15-Jan-2008, 04:24 PM
On that I would say: maybe....maybe not.

28 Days came out first...but I actually think that it was the general trend in remakes in Hollywood that had more to do with remaking Dawn than the so-so success of 28 Days.

Shaun didn't come out in the States until well after Dawn 04 did....and Dawn 04 was way more successful.

I think Universal saw that success, and decided to roll the dice on a GAR film.

I dunno, 28 days got a LOT of critical acclaim on its release - Dawn and Shaun were released at the same time....? Maybeit got to the states a bit later, granted...but 28 days caused a major hype amongst movie maniacs like you and me....your argument about remakes is certainly valid, at that point every other film was a sequel, remake or spin off....but in my mind 28 days later set the pavement for Dawn 05 to be released - let's face it, if anything dawn 04 was a complete and utter rip off of 28 days later...

Arcades057
15-Jan-2008, 04:27 PM
I dunno, 28 days got a LOT of critical acclaim on its release - Dawn and Shaun were released at the same time....? Maybeit got to the states a bit later, granted...but 28 days caused a major hype amongst movie maniacs like you and me....your argument about remakes is certainly valid, at that point every other film was a sequel, remake or spin off....but in my mind 28 days later set the pavement for Dawn 05 to be released - let's face it, if anything dawn 04 was a complete and utter rip off of 28 days later...

I wouldn't say it was a "complete and utter rip off of 28 days later".

The only thing they had in common was the running zombies.

DubiousComforts
15-Jan-2008, 04:40 PM
The intention of a trilogy was never there during the making of the original.
It's not a huge deal, and I'm not even saying that they specifically planned a trilogy or had a blueprint for subsequent films. I just don't believe when any filmmaker claims that the thought of sequels or a franchise never crossed his mind, particularly in the 80s. Indiana Jones? Romancing The Stone? Porky's? Come on! :D

SymphonicX
15-Jan-2008, 04:42 PM
I wouldn't say it was a "complete and utter rip off of 28 days later".

The only thing they had in common was the running zombies.

haha did you not see the camera work when they exit the mall? the whole thing was filmed almost identically to 28 days....plus running zombies, similar screamy sound effects (cat like stuff - acceptable in terms of infected but zombies screaming like demons? Nah), seriously the second half of the movie felt just like a 28 days sequel

bassman
15-Jan-2008, 04:42 PM
It's not a huge deal, and I'm not even saying that they specifically planned a trilogy or had a blueprint for subsequent films. I just don't believe when any filmmaker claims that the thought of sequels or a franchise never crossed his mind, particularly in the 80s. Indiana Jones? Romancing The Stone? Porky's? Come on! :D

Well, maybe. I'm just going off of what the two creators have stated.

Arcades057
15-Jan-2008, 06:36 PM
haha did you not see the camera work when they exit the mall? the whole thing was filmed almost identically to 28 days....plus running zombies, similar screamy sound effects (cat like stuff - acceptable in terms of infected but zombies screaming like demons? Nah), seriously the second half of the movie felt just like a 28 days sequel

Here, I'll answer that with a quote from yourself:

thats the biggest crock of **** I've read on this forum

bassman
15-Jan-2008, 06:39 PM

I had never made that connection, but you're right. Just slap on a slightly different beginning to Dawn04 and you've got an american sequel to 28 Days.

clanglee
15-Jan-2008, 08:44 PM
Nah, I'm sorry but I'm not buying that. 28 Days and Dawn '04 are similar yes, but all zombie movies are similar dude. They both ripped off what came before. Maybe Dawn04 took the screaming from 28days, big whoop. I hardly see that as Dawn being a rip off of 28days later. Dawn04 was a rip off of the original Dawn.

Arcades057
15-Jan-2008, 09:14 PM
Dawn04 was a rip off of the original Dawn.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a rip-off--it is, after all, a remake. From the outset, it's expected that the remake have concepts and elements of the original product in it. It's not asserting itself as an "original".

From what I saw, there are some references to the original in the finished product....and while the overall concept is the same (a group of survivors seeking refuge from the zombie apocalypse in a shopping mall), the rest is original.

clanglee
15-Jan-2008, 09:35 PM
I realise that. I was just stating, that If Dawn04 ripped off any movie it was the original. Let's remember also, the fast zombie thing is not as new as all that. ROTLD anyone?

Arcades057
15-Jan-2008, 11:31 PM
I realise that. I was just stating, that If Dawn04 ripped off any movie it was the original. Let's remember also, the fast zombie thing is not as new as all that. ROTLD anyone?

My room mate actually considers the original ROTLD to be the best zombie flick of all time.

IRA_LCPL
15-Jan-2008, 11:46 PM
did you hit your flat mate with a 4 kilo sledge hammer???

Legion2213
16-Jan-2008, 03:29 AM
My room mate actually considers the original ROTLD to be the best zombie flick of all time.

Get a new room mate. :D

clanglee
16-Jan-2008, 03:30 AM
Hey, ROTLD is a great movie. It was the Dawn '04 of its time.

Legion2213
16-Jan-2008, 03:33 AM

It's a cool movie, I enjoyed it, but the best zombie movie of all time? Nah, no way!

Edit: just wanted to add that no way are Dawn 04 and 28 Days Later similair movies, totally different storylines.

acealive1
16-Jan-2008, 03:44 AM
It's a cool movie, I enjoyed it, but the best zombie movie of all time? Nah, no way!

Edit: just wanted to add that no way are Dawn 04 and 28 Days Later similair movies, totally different storylines.

return was a fun movie and so was the second one

Arcades057
16-Jan-2008, 04:38 AM

There's more truth to that than you realize.

It also went head to head with a GAR Dead installment the year it came out and blew it out of the water.;)

SymphonicX
16-Jan-2008, 10:20 AM
it took screaming, quick infection rates, and photography style all from 28 days - due i asid all that before...if it was just one thing I'd say you're right but those things coupled together make it almost undeniable. All I could think int he cinema was how much it felt like 28 days later.

the storyline was also very similar - its almost a portrayal of all the things that happened in between Jim going into a coma in 28 days and waking up - exodus of people, mass panic...and as I said, extremely quick infection rates, cat like behaviour, and cinematography that completely mimicked the style of 28 Days Later.

clanglee
17-Jan-2008, 12:20 AM
There's more truth to that than you realize.

It also went head to head with a GAR Dead installment the year it came out and blew it out of the water.;)

Exactly my point!!:D

the storyline was also very similar - its almost a portrayal of all the things that happened in between Jim going into a coma in 28 days and waking up - exodus of people, mass panic...

Nope. That would be any zombie movie.

SymphonicX
17-Jan-2008, 07:19 AM
Nope. That would be any zombie movie.

You're right, definitely...but what I mean is that it felt like that and coupled with the cinematography and general style of film it felt like a sequel...if that makes sense?

DubiousComforts
17-Jan-2008, 05:15 PM
That's an insult to RotLD, which is a great movie although it didn't blow DAY out of the water theatrically. A general release R rated comedy/parody vs. an unrated horror/shocker with very limited distribution? Give me a break. Did you see either film during the summer of 1985, or even recall what the advertising was like?

RotLD also didn't invent "fast" zombies--Re-Animator did.

Mutineer
17-Jan-2008, 07:15 PM
I always found the 'leaving the mall' plot point as refreshing; it lead to some great scenes and furthered the plot. It also left it open for a sequel.

Dawn 04 is not a thinking film but neither is the original. They're zombie films. Why analyze them to death (pun).

I think much of the backlash on the film is derivative of it being a 'remake' to a classic Cult film. If Dawn 78 didn't exist, I doubt most would dump on it.

It was a fun film, action, good scare scenes and funny.

bassman
17-Jan-2008, 07:18 PM
Dawn 04 is not a thinking film but neither is the original.

Did you and I see the same film?

But on the other hand, I guess it doesn't have to be a thinking film should one choose that direction.

Mutineer
17-Jan-2008, 07:19 PM
That's an insult to RotLD, which is a great movie although it didn't blow DAY out of the water theatrically. A general release R rated comedy/parody vs. an unrated horror/shocker with very limited distribution? Give me a break. Did you see either film during the summer of 1985, or even recall what the advertising was like?

RotLD also didn't invent "fast" zombies--Re-Animator did.

RotLD is my favortie of all zombie films; too much fun, over the top performances, great cast ....

I'd have to give the nod to Return on inventing the running zombie.

Re-Animator was released in Oct 1985 while RotLD was Released in May 1985. Obviously, Re-Animator didn't use thier idea, but, first is first.

Oct 1985

clanglee
17-Jan-2008, 09:18 PM
Reanimator did invent the gut-choke and the undead titty lick tho!!:D

Mike70
17-Jan-2008, 09:36 PM
Did you see either film during the summer of 1985, or even recall what the advertising was like?

ah 1985 - big hair, great speed metal, and a couple of awesome zombie flicks. i saw them both in 85 - had to get myself snuck into day by a friend who worked at the theater. i also remember that return was advertised quite a bit with the comedy aspect played up in the ads if i remember correctly and day wasn't hardly advertised at all. horror mags were the only reason we knew it was coming out at all. we only knew that it was going to play at the esquire because an older friend worked there.

acealive1
17-Jan-2008, 09:43 PM
Reanimator did invent the gut-choke and the undead titty lick tho!!:D

they also invented a rat playing with a severed penis

Mutineer
17-Jan-2008, 09:57 PM
ah 1985 - big hair, great speed metal, and a couple of awesome zombie flicks. i saw them both in 85 - had to get myself snuck into day by a friend who worked at the theater. i also remember that return was advertised quite a bit with the comedy aspect played up in the ads if i remember correctly and day wasn't hardly advertised at all. horror mags were the only reason we knew it was coming out at all. we only knew that it was going to play at the esquire because an older friend worked there.

LOL

Myself and a girl snuck in as well !

clanglee
18-Jan-2008, 02:25 AM
No, I was 11 in 85, I saw them both when they came out on video tho. But the similarities are there. Both Dawn'04 and ROTLD were Released at the same time as a GAR Dead movie. And both movies were great non-GAR zombie movies.

And yeah, ROTLD had a LOT more advertising than Day. Also Day had limited release because of the Unrated status. But my point was that both ROTLD and Dawn'04 were more financially successful zombie movies released in the same year as a Romero movie.

they also invented a rat playing with a severed penis

:lol::lol:

I'm pretty sure the Aztecs might have invented something like that before Reanimator. ;)