PDA

View Full Version : Problems with this site?

Tricky
08-Jan-2008, 07:06 PM
Its been really bad for me the last week,im struggling to get on here at all!any ideas why?most of the time it just hangs on a blank page or i get the "this page cannot be displayed" message!

bassman
09-Jan-2008, 11:57 AM
The exact same thing happens to me and I know that it's not on my end because every other site works just fine. The HPotD Forums don't work for me nine times out of ten. And if they do work, it takes about 3-5 minutes for a page to load.

Tricky
09-Jan-2008, 06:43 PM
It went as far as crashing my PC last night,it had hung while loading a page for ages,i couldnt click any other links or minimise it,then after 10 minutes i had to push my reset button as even control-alt-delete couldnt bring it out of it!:annoyed:
As with you bassman ive got no problems with any of my other internet activities so its just the ol' homepage having problems,and it has been for a while!

Neil
09-Jan-2008, 07:05 PM
I had a problem earlier on today, but apart from that it's been fine when ever I've tried?

Guys... When you get a problem, do me favour:-
- make a note of the time you first have it, and then when you finally get on
- what sort of problem/error you get
- and while you're getting the problem just try the main Bits and Pieces page for example www.homepageofthedead.com/baps and see if that loads (if the forum is not)

Post that info here please (state what time zone you're in, or use GMT)...

Tricky
09-Jan-2008, 09:37 PM
Thanks for looking into it neil,as it happens ive had a problem replying to this very thread! (22:33) its taken almost ten minutes for the page to open to let me reply,& even now it hasnt loaded the smilies up on the side,just a load of boxes with red crosses in them

paulannett
10-Jan-2008, 09:12 AM
I've also had problems, like Tricky the loading seems to hang and more often than not I have to give up on it. When the loading time does hang and when it does finally load it hasn't processed the site properly--the tabs or pictures (the stars under the names are red x's for example) haven't loaded.

Last time it happened was yesterday morning, maybe 10am~ GMT, when I should have been working, but keep that quiet!

MinionZombie
10-Jan-2008, 09:57 AM
Yesterday I had a few problems - slow loading and some items not loading at all - that was at no specific time, just "yesterday" all day mostly.

But prior to that I've been fine for quite a while, but sometimes yeah I'll get really slow loading pages - my main problem if I ever have one here - and sometimes I won't be able to post cos it'll take ages or won't process through properly. But it's far from all the time...but it has happened a number of times.

Neil
10-Jan-2008, 10:22 AM
I've also had problems, like Tricky the loading seems to hang and more often than not I have to give up on it. When the loading time does hang and when it does finally load it hasn't processed the site properly--the tabs or pictures (the stars under the names are red x's for example) haven't loaded.

Last time it happened was yesterday morning, maybe 10am~ GMT, when I should have been working, but keep that quiet!

Yes I was having problems yest morning around that time to for 5 or so mins...

Again, if you get problems. please do as per my instructions above...

Tricky
11-Jan-2008, 05:07 PM
Well ive finally got on now!hopefully this will post as well!i couldnt get on at all last night,everytime i tried to get on the site i just got the bar with tabs on at the top (main,films,bits & pieces,fiction,art etc) & the main screen was the usual "this page cannot be displayed" message,and at one point it hung for ages,then vista gave me a pop-up saying "internet explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close down"
Its just taken me 5 attempts to get on here at 18:00 (11/01/08) and even now the page is only half loaded.As ive said ive got no problems with any of my other internet activities,including other forums i use,so the problem would definitely appear to be here!

Danny
11-Jan-2008, 05:19 PM
every few seconds im getting "page cannot be displayed" and for 4 hours today it couldnt find the site, or the forum.

Graebel
11-Jan-2008, 05:27 PM
I get nothing in Firefox but the site came up fine in Explorer. :stunned:

MinionZombie
11-Jan-2008, 05:52 PM
All of HPOTD was down for me earlier this afternoon.

Neil
11-Jan-2008, 06:36 PM
All of HPOTD was down for me earlier this afternoon.

Yes, the entire server was screwed for a few hours :eek:

capncnut
11-Jan-2008, 07:44 PM
It's weird, at a time when everybody is encountering f**k up's, I'm actually have no trouble at all. I do get the occasional error sceen but a refresh always sorts it.

MinionZombie
12-Jan-2008, 11:31 AM
It's weird, at a time when everybody is encountering f**k up's, I'm actually have no trouble at all. I do get the occasional error sceen but a refresh always sorts it.
I know, people say at times "it's ALWAYS like this"...which confuses me, as errors and bugger ups are generally quite rare for me.

Forum's running fine and dandy right now.

Tricky
13-Jan-2008, 10:49 AM
As of yesterday when i logged in its been running as it should for me,have any problems been found & dealt with or is it just going through an ok phase again?
Ive been having the problems with it for a good few months now,with short periods of it being ok again,not sure why!

Neil
13-Jan-2008, 12:17 PM
As of yesterday when i logged in its been running as it should for me,have any problems been found & dealt with or is it just going through an ok phase again?
Ive been having the problems with it for a good few months now,with short periods of it being ok again,not sure why!

Nothing's been changed...

Tricky
13-Jan-2008, 02:35 PM
Very strange,as of this log in (15:34),the site is working,but theres no tabs at the top of the page (main,films,fiction etc) just a white bar!Il keep you informed of any more problems :)

MinionZombie
15-Jan-2008, 08:32 PM
I've got an odd one, which I've had before - I'm only received some post response email notifications. This happened a good while back, something about the amount of emails you were allowed to send out Neil or something, eventually I was getting no notifications at all, then it clocked over to a new month and I was again...I duno...something like that.

Point being - I'm only getting notifications for some responses, rather than all like I normally do. :confused:

Neil
15-Jan-2008, 08:42 PM
Very strange,as of this log in (15:34),the site is working,but theres no tabs at the top of the page (main,films,fiction etc) just a white bar!Il keep you informed of any more problems :)

Implies a page load failure for the tab bar frame...

MinionZombie
16-Jan-2008, 10:24 AM
The random email notifications continue, didn't get one telling me of a response to this thread...hmmm. :confused:

Neil
16-Jan-2008, 10:31 AM
The random email notifications continue, didn't get one telling me of a response to this thread...hmmm. :confused:

Did you get one for this?

MinionZombie
16-Jan-2008, 06:44 PM
Did you get one for this?
Aye, got one for this.

Seems quite random. :confused:

capncnut
17-Jan-2008, 12:19 PM
Spoke too soon. Got booted out of this forum three times today already. Randomly cuts to Internet Explorer error screen and no refresh sorts it, basically you have to wait a couple of minutes and log back on. Happened between 12.40 and 1.10pm.

MinionZombie
17-Jan-2008, 04:47 PM
Didn't get a response email to this, nor a bunch of other threads...random. :confused:

Neil
17-Jan-2008, 05:33 PM
Didn't get a response email to this, nor a bunch of other threads...random. :confused:

I'll look into it!

MinionZombie
17-Jan-2008, 09:42 PM
Nay email for this one either...Dead Discussion, Dead Remakes and Land forums all are mostly not giving me email responses either. GD, Media and Games are more likely to give me email notifications at the moment...very odd.

Happened before as I said, then was resolved, but hasn't happened since...well, until now that is.

Mike70
18-Jan-2008, 03:19 PM
ok guys i am encountering a problem today.

it is 11:15 am (my time) and the site is running very slowly for me. it is taking about 2 or 3 mins for me to get from the homepage to the forums. every other site i have visited today has loaded like lightning - the way it should. i am getting on every time and am not getting any sort of error message

it taking about 3 mins for a page to load and when i head back to the main room the shout box takes forever to load up.

Tricky
18-Jan-2008, 06:03 PM
Well,yesterday i couldnt get on at all!i wanted to post something & cant remember what it was now!:lol:
Ive had a bit of a struggle getting on now as well (19:00) but finally got here,its just taken its time!

Tricky
02-Feb-2008, 04:26 PM
Well,im still having no end of problems getting on here!more often than not im not even trying anymore :annoyed::(

Andy
02-Feb-2008, 05:28 PM
Well,im still having no end of problems getting on here!more often than not im not even trying anymore :annoyed::(
We have located the problem and are working on fixing it.

Mike70
02-Feb-2008, 06:07 PM
We have located the problem and are working on fixing it.

to quote mr. burns exxxccellleeennnt.

l am getting in but am still getting database errors every so often.

Andy
02-Feb-2008, 06:21 PM
to quote mr. burns exxxccellleeennnt.

l am getting in but am still getting database errors every so often.

Due to the nature of the problem and its solution it could be a matter of days or even weeks before these errors stop completely, but i can tell you the worse of it is behind us, and i want to thank you all for bearing with us through the last few weeks.

Tricky
02-Feb-2008, 06:46 PM
Ah good stuff,looking forward to problem free usage!:D

Neil
03-Feb-2008, 10:06 AM
If you do get a bad spell please do report it!

capncnut
03-Feb-2008, 07:55 PM
Had a nightmarish spell yesterday evening and the whole main site was flashing white with no front pic! Everytime I hit the forum, 'Database Error' kept coming up and the only remedy was to leave it for a couple of hours and then come back.

capncnut
19-Feb-2008, 01:44 PM
And again today, had the database error screen flash up sporadically over the last couple of hours. The last one occurred at 14.42.

MinionZombie
19-Feb-2008, 03:53 PM
Around about mid-day it was running slow as a poke. Seems fine again now.

bassman
19-Feb-2008, 05:41 PM
I got the database error screen for about 10 minutes today at 1:34 EST.

MinionZombie
19-Feb-2008, 08:24 PM
I had one when I was on about 2 hours ago.

capncnut
22-Feb-2008, 06:21 PM
Dunno if anyones been experiencing the problems I've had over the last two days but it has taken a serious amount of effort to get on. The navbar at the top hasn't been showing up, I wait and then it says 'Internet Explorer cannot show the page'. Five or more attempts later and I finally got in.

Happened last night and happened just now at 19.20.

Tricky
23-Feb-2008, 07:13 PM
Im having the same problems as you capn,its taking forever to load pages up,if they appear at all!a couple of times ive typed up quite long posts,then when ive hit submit its hung for a while,then just come up with the "this page cannot be displayed" message & ive lost what i typed which is annoying!hence my absence at the moment as its frustrating more often than not!When i open the main homepage, quite often the nav bar doesnt appear but the main page does,and sometimes its the other way round,the nav bar appears but the rest of the page just stays white...

Mike70
23-Feb-2008, 08:19 PM
Im having the same problems as you capn,its taking forever to load pages up,if they appear at all!a couple of times ive typed up quite long posts,then when ive hit submit its hung for a while,then just come up with the "this page cannot be displayed" message & ive lost what i typed which is annoying!hence my absence at the moment as its frustrating more often than not!When i open the main homepage, quite often the nav bar doesnt appear but the main page does,and sometimes its the other way round,the nav bar appears but the rest of the page just stays white...

i have been having some similar trouble but not to the extent as tricky. sometimes the tabs won't appear at the top of the mainpage to allow me to hit "forums"

i am still getting these database errors every so often.

overall there can be slow performance- the emoticons loadiing one by one over time and messages taking a bit to post.

and sometimes it takes like 5 or 6 tries to get the chatroom to fire up.

when i have these problems i usually back out and load some other pages just to see if the problem is on my end. all the other pages load as fast as you would expect them to with highspeed cable.

MinionZombie
23-Feb-2008, 08:40 PM
Tricky - I always CTRL+C all my text in a post before clicking Quick Reply or whatever. ALWAYS.

Because if you get that bugger up, you've got that text saved on your computer's 'clipboard'. It's just a little thing I do, really helps whenever the untoward happens.

Of course, sometimes I've been writing a lot and then the computer crashes, but that's not the forum...that's just f*ckin' ghey.

DjfunkmasterG
05-Mar-2008, 11:32 AM
Do you guys come to the forum via the main page (homepageofthedead.com) and just click the forum tab, or do you do what I do and just come directly to the forum?

I seem to have less issues when I come straight to the forum (forum.homepageofthedead.com)

However, this is not a good fix, it buggers up a lot doing this as well. I do notice, even from work that the forum takes a very long time to load. In fact in the last hour I have been online 6:30am EST - 7:30am EST, the forum is taking approximately 45-60 seconds to load enough data just to make a reply, the full complete load takes 2+ minutes.

I think the server hosting this site is screwed.

However, using the direct link seems to cut down on the amount of issues.

Neil
05-Mar-2008, 02:06 PM
Do you guys come to the forum via the main page (homepageofthedead.com) and just click the forum tab, or do you do what I do and just come directly to the forum?

I seem to have less issues when I come straight to the forum (forum.homepageofthedead.com)

However, this is not a good fix, it buggers up a lot doing this as well. I do notice, even from work that the forum takes a very long time to load. In fact in the last hour I have been online 6:30am EST - 7:30am EST, the forum is taking approximately 45-60 seconds to load enough data just to make a reply, the full complete load takes 2+ minutes.

I think the server hosting this site is screwed.

However, using the direct link seems to cut down on the amount of issues.

I come straight to the forum...

I visit the forum quite regularly - obviously - and must say that recently have not had many problems. Sometimes a request is a bit slow (5-10 seconds), but generally I've not had anything too bad!? Loading a page in more than 20 seconds I very rarely see!?

ps: At this moment in time it's quite nippy. 2-3 seconds for a request.

DjfunkmasterG
05-Mar-2008, 06:40 PM
I come straight to the forum...

I visit the forum quite regularly - obviously - and must say that recently have not had many problems. Sometimes a request is a bit slow (5-10 seconds), but generally I've not had anything too bad!? Loading a page in more than 20 seconds I very rarely see!?

ps: At this moment in time it's quite nippy. 2-3 seconds for a request.

Today has been one of the better days, however, when I hit reply, like I just did to make this topic it took 17 seconds (Yes I timed it) for the page to completely load. I was able to type the reply in about 5, but the full page load took 17 seconds.

The direct forum link is definitely quicker than the tab through the main site.

Tricky
06-Mar-2008, 05:54 PM
Its still being pretty damn bad for me,still getting the half-loaded pages which take a long time to open at all,again this is why ive posted very little recently because its just such hard work & pot luck as to whether il get anywhere or not

capncnut
06-Mar-2008, 06:26 PM
Its still being pretty damn bad for me,still getting the half-loaded pages which take a long time to open at all,again this is why ive posted very little recently because its just such hard work & pot luck as to whether il get anywhere or not
Yes Trick, it is bollocks. Getting in seems to be the main problem but once I'm in I find that it runs okay, maybe with some slowness but okay nonetheless. Thankfully though it seems to have cleared up the last couple of days but I've decided that next time it happens I'm gonna take a bunch of screen grabs and put 'em here. Some of the main site crashes I've had are nothing short of psychedelic!

MinionZombie
06-Mar-2008, 07:16 PM
With me, it's either trouble getting on - just had that, was having "database error" and had to refresh several times to get it kicking off properly - or other times I get on fine and surf around the forum for a bit, then it all grinds to a halt when I've still got a bunch of juicy new posts to sink myself into...ooh-err.

But such things are generally rare for me...or at least infrequent.

capncnut
06-Mar-2008, 07:30 PM
Spoke too soon. Just got booted out for a good ten minutes and it was impossible to get back on. There's gremlins in the works here.

DjfunkmasterG
07-Mar-2008, 01:31 AM
need a new server Neil.

Neil
07-Mar-2008, 08:31 AM
Out of interest, next time you find the forum running slowly, or have problems... Try the main site.

What I'm interested to find out is if the news on the main page loads quickly or slowly as that's being pulled out of the same database by basically the same method.

I'm trying to see if it's the database that's slow or something else the forum is doing ontop of access it.

What's odd is I've been find access recently pretty reliable with the only problem it being a but slow to show pages sometimes (eg: 5-10 seconds instead of 2-5)...

Spoke too soon. Just got booted out for a good ten minutes and it was impossible to get back on. There's gremlins in the works here.

What message were you getting for those 10 mins?

To Tricky And Capncnut

What I find odd is you two seem to consistantly suffer from issues unnoticed by me and most others...

What browser are you using out of interest? Are you able to try a different one when having problem's? eg: If you're using Internet Explorer download FireFox and try that next time you get problems?

capncnut
07-Mar-2008, 04:58 PM
What message were you getting for those 10 mins?
Just a crashed main page. Log out, log back in and it half loads, sometimes a white screen, it differs. Hit the forum and it just stays on the welcome page, frozen, unable to do anything but close it down. Ten minutes later. Sweet.

What browser are you using out of interest? Are you able to try a different one when having problem's? eg: If you're using Internet Explorer download FireFox and try that next time you get problems?
Used Firefox for a spell and I had the same problems. Also, it didn't really go well with my PC. Currently I'm using Internet Explorer.

I'm 100% certain it isn't my pc or browser because one night I was chatting to Scip on msn and he was talking about the same problems at that very moment. I attempted to log in myself there and then and yes, I couldn't get in. Crashed main page just as he was describing to me.

Minion, Trick, DJ, Hellsing, Scipio... I could name on four hands who's had similar issues at some point just by checking in the problem threads.

There's definitely gremlins in the works...

Neil
07-Mar-2008, 05:26 PM
Just a crashed main page. Log out, log back in and it half loads, sometimes a white screen, it differs. Hit the forum and it just stays on the welcome page, frozen, unable to do anything but close it down. Ten minutes later. Sweet.

Used Firefox for a spell and I had the same problems. Also, it didn't really go well with my PC. Currently I'm using Internet Explorer.

I'm 100% certain it isn't my pc or browser because one night I was chatting to Scip on msn and he was talking about the same problems at that very moment. I attempted to log in myself there and then and yes, I couldn't get in. Crashed main page just as he was describing to me.

Minion, Trick, DJ, Hellsing, Scipio... I could name on four hands who's had similar issues at some point just by checking in the problem threads.

There's definitely gremlins in the works...

I've never seen the problem you've described (half loading pages & crashes) on 3 different machines x 2 different browsers :stunned:

capncnut
07-Mar-2008, 05:36 PM
I've never seen the problem you've described (half loading pages & crashes) on 3 different machines x 2 different browsers :stunned:
I could say the same thing. I've experienced the above on 2 machines and 2 different browsers. I understand that it works for a lot of folks but it's clearly obvious it ain't working for others. I really don't know what the error is. :(

Neil
07-Mar-2008, 06:09 PM
I could say the same thing. I've experienced the above on 2 machines and 2 different browsers. I understand that it works for a lot of folks but it's clearly obvious it ain't working for others. I really don't know what the error is. :(

I think I need to see a screen shot... if that's possible next time...

capncnut
07-Mar-2008, 07:27 PM
I think I need to see a screen shot... if that's possible next time...
I had three grabs on my pc until last week.

<kicks self>

But yeah, no worries. Next time it happens, consider it done. Make sure you put on your sunglasses on when I post 'em though. :D

MinionZombie
11-Mar-2008, 10:11 PM
F*cking nora the site has been running slow-arse for me the past few days - forum I mean. Right now, just after 10pm, it's been dragging it's arse all over the carpet like a dog with an itchy brown.

Neil
11-Mar-2008, 11:04 PM
F*cking nora the site has been running slow-arse for me the past few days - forum I mean. Right now, just after 10pm, it's been dragging it's arse all over the carpet like a dog with an itchy brown.

What's your definition of slow? It has been a touch slow at times for me sometimes... But as I type this, requests are generally coming up in a couple of seconds...

MinionZombie
12-Mar-2008, 11:12 AM
Well certainly not a couple of seconds.

Upwards of 30 seconds, sometimes a whole minute, sometimes the request doesn't complete and you get whatever message you get when something's taken to long or failed to go through, then I have to refresh and that takes ages and I usually get a message saying 'duplicate message' or whatever it is and then I finally get taken to my post I clicked "post quick reply" on about 2 minutes prior.

Was running as such just now actually, took ages for the info to go through the pipe. Meanwhile, Melon Farmers came up quickly as normal...very confusing. :confused::rant:

capncnut
12-Mar-2008, 10:05 PM
Page navigation for me yesterday afternoon was around 45-60 seconds.

MinionZombie
13-Mar-2008, 11:51 AM
I'm having bouts of proper sluggishness in the mornings now, just took about 2 minutes for pages to load. :eek:

capncnut
13-Mar-2008, 10:28 PM
I'm having bouts of proper sluggishness in the mornings now, just took about 2 minutes for pages to load. :eek:
Happening to me right now, son.

DjfunkmasterG
17-Mar-2008, 08:22 PM
Neil,

this site is lagging badly today. Now whenit lagged before I blamed it partly on the site and my sh1TTy Comcast cable internet connection. Now, I have a 15mbps/2mbps FIOS connection and the site took over 45 seconds for the forum main page to load, for me to type my reply into the diary board it took a minute for it to load the reply page, and 20+ seconds for it to submit.

There is no way two internet connections can be bad, especially since the fios set up is 100% fiber optic.

The server for the site is crap, time to maybe search out a new server or host.

Neil
17-Mar-2008, 09:10 PM
I concur, and we're now in the process of finding a new home...

Apologies for the speed and problems - I've been hoping that it would get sorted and save a potential shed load of work, but things are just not improving. So, a new server it is hopefully over the coming few weeks...

There will obviously be a bit of down time during this move, but that should only effect the forum, fiction section and gallery, and hopefully will only mean a couple of days of interuption...

Once more information is available I'll post it...

capncnut
17-Mar-2008, 09:14 PM
I concur, and we're now in the process of finding a new home...
And if anyone who posted with problems in this thread complains about the site being down, I'm getting the guns out. :D

Choosing the right time for the changeover must be difficult.

DjfunkmasterG
17-Mar-2008, 09:26 PM
well I will be filming the next 3 weekends after easter, so if it happens over a weekend it won't affect me at all. :D

MinionZombie
17-Mar-2008, 11:19 PM
...masturbation marathon it is then...

:D:p:D

I've had a lot of lag this past week, comes intermittently. Sometimes fine, sometimes iffy, sometimes unbearably slow.

*generic wanking joke follow-up* (too lazy to think of one :D)

DjfunkmasterG
19-Mar-2008, 07:31 PM
...masturbation marathon it is then...

Nothing like a good jerk session to keep one occupied when there is DOWN time. :lol:

Here is a pic MZ to help stimulate ya... :moon:

Danny
25-Mar-2008, 05:39 PM
ive tried logging into this site on and off all day whilst ive been working at my pc and this is the first time ive got in ,eveyr other time ive got "page not found" or database error, and its running slow, reaaaal slow.

Neil
25-Mar-2008, 07:35 PM
ive tried logging into this site on and off all day whilst ive been working at my pc and this is the first time ive got in ,eveyr other time ive got "page not found" or database error, and its running slow, reaaaal slow.
Yes, it was pretty dire for most of the day - Seems to be a bit better now...

Needless to say we're looking to move so not much longer now...

capncnut
26-Mar-2008, 02:44 PM
Gosh, you guys need to get your skates on with this move. It has taken me the best part of 30 minutes to get on today and each page is taking a good minute to navigate. I've had 'page cant be displayed', 'database error', crashed main page (which I didn't get a grab of). Proper malfunctions all round!

Neil
26-Mar-2008, 03:53 PM
Gosh, you guys need to get your skates on with this move. It has taken me the best part of 30 minutes to get on today and each page is taking a good minute to navigate. I've had 'page cant be displayed', 'database error', crashed main page (which I didn't get a grab of). Proper malfunctions all round!

I agree..... As the major point of the move is to improve the VBulletin performance I want to ensure Andy is happy with any proposed server... So I just need a nod from Andy and the ball is rolling...

MinionZombie
26-Mar-2008, 06:53 PM
Aye, you wanna do it right and not rush it for the sake of rushing it.

But the forum was intolerably slow for me this morning, absolute pain in the hairy, fleshy part 'round back. Errors and resets up the wazoo.

Neil
26-Mar-2008, 07:07 PM
Aye, you wanna do it right and not rush it for the sake of rushing it.

But the forum was intolerably slow for me this morning, absolute pain in the hairy, fleshy part 'round back. Errors and resets up the wazoo.

Indeed over the past day or two it's been generally terrible! Can't move soon enough to be honest!!

capncnut
05-May-2008, 05:09 PM
Well, the nastiness has returned. I dunno if anyone else has experienced the general slowness and database errors over the last few days...

Neil
05-May-2008, 05:19 PM
Well, the nastiness has returned. I dunno if anyone else has experienced the general slowness and database errors over the last few days...

Invariably periods of poor performance or error will occur. The problem is when they occur too often or for too long...

DjfunkmasterG
27-May-2008, 11:10 AM
Ok, had to re-open this can of worms, but the site is acting hokey again.

capncnut
04-Jun-2008, 05:17 AM
F**king hell Neil, whats going on mate? This is the first time I've had a successful lock-on in three hours without a white screen of death or a database error. Place is proper falling to bits, end of.

Neil
04-Jun-2008, 08:52 AM
Yes there was/is a problem... In the process of resolving it...

DjfunkmasterG
18-Jun-2008, 01:41 PM
Neil,

the lag on this site is really really bad. No kidding it took 58 seconds for the Post Reply function to work just so I could type this message. The other threads and forums run just as slow, and it is just becoming frustrating. Seriously, in the day and age of High Speed internet I feel like I am on a 19200 Modem when surfing HPotD

capncnut
18-Jun-2008, 02:52 PM
the lag on this site is really really bad.
Oh, it's diabolical. You see my last message from two weeks ago? That is how long the site has taken to process this one. :D

But seriously, for the last two weeks or so now it is taking me on average around 30 seconds to 2 minutes to navigate a page or post a message. That is quite bad...

Neil
18-Jun-2008, 03:32 PM
It's being looked at believe me!

capncnut
20-Jul-2008, 02:09 AM
It's being looked at believe me!
Well obviously it isnt because this is the first time I have got in here since noon. Sort the f**king servers out!

Hate to be agressive but man, how much longer do we have to put up with this s**t?

Debbieangel
20-Jul-2008, 02:15 AM
I am having probs too. First, couldn't get on site, then pages taking forever to load! Been going on for some weeks now! I just wanted you guys to know!!

capncnut
20-Jul-2008, 02:20 AM
I can't believe nobody else has posted about this other than me and Deb. Then again, maybe they couldn't :rolleyes:. To be frank, todays performance has been nothing short of appalling.

Neil
20-Jul-2008, 06:06 AM
Well obviously it isnt because this is the first time I have got in here since noon. Sort the f**king servers out!

There is a general http issue at the moment. This is either something to do with this server or AT&T's network.

Note: This is nothing to do with any previous issues, which I've been keeping a close eye on (obviously). TBH it's slightly unfortunate as we're at the end of a week that has seen generally very good forum/MySQL performance.

Hate to be agressive but man, how much longer do we have to put up with this s**t?
As long as it takes for me to see there's a problem, and then as long as it takes resolve it? Your aggressive tone of course is most appreciated, and there's nothing like getting up an 7:07 in the morning to find such a lovely constructive post waiting for you... Thanks!

I am having probs too. First, couldn't get on site, then pages taking forever to load! Been going on for some weeks now! I just wanted you guys to know!!

There has been a problem this morning, which I can see logged...

If you've been having this problem (slow loading) 'for some weeks', then I'm confused... As I'd say speed has been improving, especially this week (uptill this morning)...

MinionZombie
20-Jul-2008, 10:39 AM
Personally, my performance has been much improved since the slow moving a few weeks back. I've had a couple of patches, which were brief, when the site took longer or was going sluggish - but the performance was such that I'd forgotten about the server issues or what have you, and was surprised by the brief slowdown a few days back.

Capn - I understand the nuisance of not being able to get on, but these things do take time, especially for someone who's got a Mrs and a couple of tots running around. At least ask nicely, cos Neil does put a lot of time and effort and even money into HPOTD, and has done so over many years, eh? :)

kidgloves
20-Jul-2008, 01:04 PM
Its been slow but bearable for me for weeks, but today its taking upto 5 mins for a page to load.
Cheers

capncnut
20-Jul-2008, 01:46 PM
Capn - I understand the nuisance of not being able to get on, but these things do take time, especially for someone who's got a Mrs and a couple of tots running around. At least ask nicely, cos Neil does put a lot of time and effort and even money into HPOTD, and has done so over many years, eh? :)
My aggression comes from the fact the problems of this site have been ongoing for YEARS. I joined in September 06 and the place was like a snail then. With complaints regarding the overall performance being posted on a regular basis.

It just seems that 'everything will be resolved soon' and isn't. Yesterday's whole day of not being able to get in was the final straw to man who'd drunk 15 beers. And as for asking nicely, old bean, search through this very thread and see how many times I've asked nicely. :rolleyes:

Edit: Oh, and for reference. http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=5718&referrerid=716

Neil
20-Jul-2008, 02:01 PM
My aggression comes from the fact the problems of this site have been ongoing for YEARS. I joined in September 06 and the place was like a snail then. With complaints regarding the overall performance being posted on a regular basis.

It just seems that 'everything will be resolved soon' and isn't. Yesterday's whole day of not being able to get in was the final straw to man who'd drunk 15 beers. And as for asking nicely, old bean, search through this very thread and see how many times I've asked nicely. :rolleyes:

Edit: Oh, and for reference. http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=5718&referrerid=716

Well, the problem we're encountering here is a 'new' one... It's more 'standard website' based than anything to do with the forum.

Danny
20-Jul-2008, 02:10 PM
ive set this as my homepage lately and eveyr time it loads this week it says theres a server error and i need to reload it like 3 or 4 times.

MinionZombie
20-Jul-2008, 03:56 PM
Very odd too that some people are free and easy to browse problem free, and some can't.

The selective nature of the problem is really confusing, at least to me anyway. :confusing:

The forum and site is running fine for me right now, and has been for weeks...very confusing.

capncnut
20-Jul-2008, 05:34 PM
Very odd too that some people are free and easy to browse problem free, and some can't.

The selective nature of the problem is really confusing, at least to me anyway. :confusing:

The forum and site is running fine for me right now, and has been for weeks...very confusing.
Last week, HPotD was running so quick that it actually seemed ominous, like it was too good to be true. Everytime I clicked a reply, bang, it was there.

But it was too good to be true because performance is bad for me right now. It has taken me untold attempts to get in over the last hour but I'm sober so I'm not as aggressive as I was last night. :D

Today some funny things happened. When I was given the index url by a friend, I had the 'Page not found. The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable' message flash up three times before I actually got in. Also as I type in this message now I am having to enter smileys and tags by hand as none of the links in the message area are working. It really is baffling...

...and annoying!

Neil
20-Jul-2008, 05:55 PM
Last week, HPotD was running so quick that it actually seemed ominous, like it was too good to be true. Everytime I clicked a reply, bang, it was there.

But it was too good to be true because performance is bad for me right now. It has taken me untold attempts to get in over the last hour but I'm sober so I'm not as aggressive as I was last night. :D

Today some funny things happened. When I was given the index url by a friend, I had the 'Page not found. The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable' message flash up three times before I actually got in. Also as I type in this message now I am having to enter smileys and tags by hand as none of the links in the message area are working. It really is baffling...

...and annoying!

I'm glad you concur recent performance has been getting better...

The current problem is the opposite of the usual one. The forum and database are running well, just all web requests (eg: for HTML pages and image etc) are having problems. If the forum has any problems it'll be because of images and style sheets etc...

It'll get sorted, so if you find you're having problems, go watch a movie, have a bear, and try again tomorrow :)

ps: At this precise moment, even though the rest of HPotD is terrible, this forum seems pretty good :) But I suspect until the main problem is sorted, forum performance will be up and down like a whore's drawers! ;)

MinionZombie
20-Jul-2008, 06:00 PM
Perhaps the smileys not clicking in from the menu is down to a page not fully loading, it's like how the drop down forum select thing at the bottom of the page only works if the page is fully loaded.

Anyway, no sooner had I mentioned my smooth performance, I've just had a couple of slow-poke-patches...I think I'm jinxed. :p

capncnut
20-Jul-2008, 06:03 PM
But I suspect until the main problem is sorted, forum performance will be up and down like a whore's drawers! ;)
:lol::lol::lol:

Now that one made me spit out my OJ!

DjfunkmasterG
21-Jul-2008, 06:57 PM
This weekend was awful. In between breaks in editing I was trying to hop on and stir up some trouble and kept getting the errors... today it seems like it has been fixed.

However, it is annoying when you can't get on here. This place is like a heroin addiction. Even though I have cut back in my habit, I still need a jolt every once and a while.

Tricky
21-Jul-2008, 07:21 PM
Its been a nightmare for me as well this weekend!what happens is i open the main site,click forums on the tool bar at the top,then i click "homepage of the dead forums" on the next page, the loading bar at the bottom of my screen gets halfway across then sticks for a minute or so before it jumps to the "internet explorer cannot display the webpage" screen!:dead: no amount of hitting refresh or whatever will make it work either!