PDA

View Full Version : BBC comedy vs America

Crappingbear
01-Mar-2006, 09:49 AM
I can't stand the crap that Hollywood churns out as comedy, but am enjoying finding old BBC series that aren't shown here. The League of Gentlemen was always a favorite of mine but right now I'm enjoying Father Ted.

MinionZombie
01-Mar-2006, 09:54 AM
Oh the Beeb and especially Channel 4 stick out many great comedy series. Speaking of Father Ted, the writer of that has a new show currently running called The I.T. Crowd (although all the announcers call it "The It Crowd", which is wrong...and annoying).

Anyway, I.T. Crowd is really good - has that same kind of feel to Father Ted, it's all about these couple of IT engineers stuck in the basement of a big corporation and what they get up to. You can see many of the jokes coming from a mile off - but its seeing them happen that provides the most comedy.

If you can find it online to download I'd suggest checking it out.

Enzomatrix
01-Mar-2006, 10:15 AM
youd be surprised how many of our tv show and comedy ideas we borrow from them even now im finding more and more its pretty sad stuff. i like that one british show set in a department store i think its called are you being served and absolutely fabulous is a cool one too as is anything benny hill.

MinionZombie
01-Mar-2006, 04:44 PM
"Red Dwarf" and "The Brittas Empire" are another two classic Brit-coms, the first is essential viewing - it's so funny, and yet they manage to cram in a whole series of valid scientific theories into the stories - in a way that you can both understand them...but also be completely baffled (like the characters) at the same time.

Burbank
01-Mar-2006, 06:17 PM
The I.T. Crowd (although all the announcers call it "The It Crowd", which is wrong...and annoying).

Are you sure? I figured it was supposed to be a play on the words - the It crowd being the "in crowd" (i.e. It girls).

It's a good show, been a while since 4 have had a decent home grown sitcom. Liked the guest appearence by Noel Fielding as the goth a couple of weeks ago - Noel Fielding of course plays in Vince Noir in the my current favourite comedy - The Mighty Boosh.

Working on an IT help desk myself I've been getting a users trying to be funny using stuff from it...:blah:

MinionZombie
01-Mar-2006, 07:02 PM
"Have you tried turning it on and off again"...

Also, red text on green makes bunnies cry :p

LoSTBoY
01-Mar-2006, 07:21 PM
Heh, the IT Crowd is pretty funny, I meself have worked Support in a Basement room. :)

CrappingBear, if your looking for some good UK Comedy then get yourself 'Still Game'. It's a Scottish comedy loved by everyone I know, It's pretty exclusive to Scotland but I'm sure you can pick it up from Play.com.

To let you know what its about check out the link below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/tv/chewinthefat/jack_and_victor/still_game/tour/index.shtml

Also, check out Sing along with Jack and Victor, it's classic :D :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/tv/chewinthefat/jack_and_victor/singalong.shtml

MinionZombie
01-Mar-2006, 07:25 PM
Oooooh - and "Spaced" of course!!! How could I forget that? *duh*

Now "Spaced" is freakin' sweet, for all you Americans that haven't checked it out, DO IT, if you liked Shaun of the Dead, you'll love it. One of my personal favourite episodes is the paintballing one from series one...great stuff.

Burbank
02-Mar-2006, 06:26 PM
Spaced goes without saying. I've made a post about Hot Fuzz and it sounds quality - a bit like Midsummer Murder oddly.

As for the red text on green... it was done when the forum was still blue. Haven't got around to changing it!

MinionZombie
03-Mar-2006, 09:45 AM
Aye, I can't wait for "Hot Fuzz", as soon as I heard about it when they were still doing press for Shaun I knew it would rock...now it's just a matter of waiting.