PDA

View Full Version : Day remake - In your hands...

Legion2213
31-Jan-2008, 12:06 AM
Okay, you've sold your soul to Satan, you are in charge of remaking DotD (no backing out on moral issues etc).

How you gonna do it? Just stick to the original script and scale up a few things (more troops, a shed load more zombies), add a bit more foraging through dead cities etc?

Any actors in mind for the major parts, any script changes?

Maybe try and do the "original" Day script with trained zombie soldiers?

Mike70
31-Jan-2008, 12:35 AM
i'd stick closer to the original with some differences to make it my own.

i would have more stuff happen outside of the compound - i might even be tempted to inject even more tension by having them find some survivors outside who come back with them and then begin to take sides either with the soldiers or the scientists.

even though bub is a great character (just not one i care for very much) and i am shielding myself as i write this from the rocks that are undoubltedly going to be thrown my way, i would ditch the whole domestication subplot-in fact i would ditch that character in toto. i don't want to feel sympathy for zombies or see them as anything other than mindless killing machines. in short, i don't want one as a pet. i have always hated that and thought it was inane in the extreme, given the huge numbers of zombies and the tiny number of people.

as for actors:

michael ironside as rhodes - i would increase his rank, maybe to colonel or even a general because of ironside's age.

alexondra lee as sarah. can portray a character who is both smart and tough.

crispin glover as dr. logan. does anyone play kooks better than this guy?

fisher - ron livingston.

some big beefy goon to play steele. maybe a pro-wrestler type. can't really think of anybody right off the top of my head.

acealive1
31-Jan-2008, 12:47 AM
i'd ask romero for his original "ben hur with zombies" script for day of the dead.

and i'd cast........

sarah - mira sorvino

john - taye diggs/ omar epps

rhodes - john travolta....im not kidding.

william - rowan atkinson or paul reubens

miguel - jeffrey wright

logan - jack nicholson

bub - channing tatum/paul walker

pvt steele - donald gibb

rickles - jimmy kimmel

dr. fisher - steve zahn

Legion2213
31-Jan-2008, 01:14 AM
michael ironside as rhodes - i would increase his rank, maybe to colonel or even a general because of ironside's age.

Scipio, you are a man after my own heart, Ironside as Rhodes is the only role I was able to come up with, I haven't got a clue as to who would play the other roles....but Ironside. **** yes! :cool:

I also considered that dude who played Commodus in Gladiator, just because he was a good creepy, loony character.

Truth is, I'm not very good at casting roles.

As for the movie, I would do a Hell of a lot more "city searching" scenes, but finding nobody, just to rub it in with the audience, these people really are alone, the last within hundreds of miles, the only things that move are the hungry dead.

Edit: I'd like to find a role for Christopher Eccleston, because he is a cool dude.

Khardis
31-Jan-2008, 01:32 AM
I would resell the rights to the film to someone else and then make an original movie and not persist off the sweat of giants who came before me.

The ONLY thing I would ever do that might be considered a remake would be a film version of Anthony Burgess "A Clockwork Orange" I know I know sacrilege Kubrik has been there, but I wouldn't be remaking his film, I would be making a new film that is much more faithful to the actual novel with a younger cast and less avant garde scenery.

clanglee
31-Jan-2008, 01:41 AM
I dunno man, the scenery was a bit extravagant, but Kubrik's CWO was pretty darn faithful. (minus only the last chapter of course)

As far as a remake of Day goes. . .nah, wouldn't do it. Wouldn't be prudent. Not at this juncture.

jim102016
31-Jan-2008, 03:44 AM
i'd ask romero for his original "ben hur with zombies" script for day of the dead.

and i'd cast........

sarah - mira sorvino

john - taye diggs/ omar epps

rhodes - john travolta....im not kidding.

william - rowan atkinson or paul reubens

miguel - jeffrey wright

logan - jack nicholson

bub - channing tatum/paul walker

pvt steele - donald gibb

rickles - jimmy kimmel

dr. fisher - steve zahn

John Travolta is too inflated. I was thinking more along the lines of someone who'd be more believable as a soldier. Jimmy Kimmel? Paul Reubens? Holy Sh*t! Now, Jack Nicholson on the other hand would be an outstanding choice for an older Bub or a Dr. Frankenstein. Miro Sorvino is still pretty hot too.

Okay, you've sold your soul to Satan, you are in charge of remaking DotD (no backing out on moral issues etc).

How you gonna do it? Just stick to the original script and scale up a few things (more troops, a shed load more zombies), add a bit more foraging through dead cities etc?

Any actors in mind for the major parts, any script changes?

Maybe try and do the "original" Day script with trained zombie soldiers?

The original Day' script that never was is the most interesting to me. But, as strange as it sounds, I don't think it could be done adequately today. I think it would come off as some computer-generated piece of crap.

If I went with remaking "Romero's compromise", I'd have more information about the outside world. Maybe some flashbacks about how the survivors got to the bunker/their present state of mind, how the dead were tagged and released into the cave, etc. Like to see Washington check on them one last time before going off the air, maybe see Rhodes before Cooper and the non-playing soldiers died.

Would set my movie in the late Cold War so I wouldn't have to deal with today's technology or today's mentality, maybe late 70s/early 80s. Absolutely no teenagers nor their type of drama, no runners, no vegetarians, death scenes will look real but not ridiculous, no Will Smith-type lines ("I gotta get me one of these!"), and Steve Miner would be shot on sight if he came near any of my locations.

SymphonicX
31-Jan-2008, 09:25 AM
If i could turn back time and remake Day of the dead it'd just end up looking exactly like the original script...argh

Khardis
31-Jan-2008, 10:02 AM
I dunno man, the scenery was a bit extravagant, but Kubrik's CWO was pretty darn faithful. (minus only the last chapter of course)

As far as a remake of Day goes. . .nah, wouldn't do it. Wouldn't be prudent. Not at this juncture.

There was a LOT of dialogue he subtracted out that made the main Character seem a little too evil which I didn't like. HIs story is more of a fable than a story.

3pidemiC
31-Jan-2008, 04:59 PM
I would give Romero the funding to make the original Day of the Dead that he planned to. Just use the original script, and call it something else. George gets to make a movie that he never could, and the public gets a new zombie film.

Win. Win.

Skippy911sc
31-Jan-2008, 05:17 PM
i'd stick closer to the original with some differences to make it my own.

i would have more stuff happen outside of the compound - i might even be tempted to inject even more tension by having them find some survivors outside who come back with them and then begin to take sides either with the soldiers or the scientists.

even though bub is a great character (just not one i care for very much) and i am shielding myself as i write this from the rocks that are undoubltedly going to be thrown my way, i would ditch the whole domestication subplot-in fact i would ditch that character in toto. i don't want to feel sympathy for zombies or see them as anything other than mindless killing machines. in short, i don't want one as a pet. i have always hated that and thought it was inane in the extreme, given the huge numbers of zombies and the tiny number of people.

as for actors:

alexondra lee as sarah. can portray a character who is both smart and tough.

crispin glover as dr. logan. does anyone play kooks better than this guy?

fisher - ron livingston.

some big beefy goon to play steele. maybe a pro-wrestler type. can't really think of anybody right off the top of my head.

I was thinking the same thing as far as Rhodes and Ironside...or I was even considering Willem Defoe...

Glover is a true psycho he would be great as Logan!!

Mike70
31-Jan-2008, 07:57 PM
Jand Steve Miner would be shot on sight if he came near any of my locations.

:lol:. i'll second, third and fourth that. bravo. one of the best ideas in the thread.:D

slickwilly13
01-Feb-2008, 03:08 AM
What about an anime version? It could be made dark and gritty. Imagine the gore.

clanglee
01-Feb-2008, 03:23 AM
yeah, except that most anime sucks!!! :D

Trin
01-Feb-2008, 04:01 AM
I would start it off with a couple of teenagers screwing in a cabin. Then Clang/Whoosh to a vegetarian zombie. Slice in a coed military hottie being chased by Benny Hill zombies. Wrap it in a deep dish pizza with a blueberry pancake. And serve it in a commemorative bag filled with chili.

Translation - I'd leave Day the f*#k alone!!!

Moon Knight
01-Feb-2008, 07:03 AM
We all know remakes of classics should be a no no, however, I see this thread as nothing but fun. Some of these castings are great and some are just LOL! :lol:

Great read.

ProfessorChaos
01-Feb-2008, 01:25 PM
sara - kathy griffin
mcdermott - george carlin
john - dave chappelle
dr. logan - rodney dangerfield
rhodes - stephen colbert
bub - tim allen
miguel - carlos mencia
steel - andrew dice clay
fisher - steve carrell
johnson - seth rogen
torrez - jon stewart
rickles - jason alexander (the guy from seinfeld, not the one who married britney spears)

with a cast like this, my remake would be as much of a joke as steve miner's remake probably is!:lol:

i really would love to see this cast do a scene for scene remake, with lots of ad-libbing and dragging out scenes forever....what a riot!

EDIT: directed by trey parker and matt stone!!! an instant classic!!!!

jim102016
01-Feb-2008, 02:52 PM
sara - kathy griffin
john - dave chappelle
rhodes - stephen colbert
bub - tim allen
miguel - carlos mencia
steel - andrew dice clay
fisher - steve carrell
johnson - seth rogen
torrez - jon stewart
rickles - jason alexander (the guy from seinfeld, not the one who married britney spears)

with a cast like this, my remake would be as much of a joke as steve miner's remake probably is!:lol:

i really would love to see this cast do a scene for scene remake, with lots of ad-libbing and dragging out scenes forever....what a riot!

I'd go see it just to watch Rodney Dangerfield....he's been dead for a couple of years. At least one guy's makeup would be accurate

Mike70
01-Feb-2008, 03:15 PM
sara - kathy griffin
john - dave chappelle
rhodes - stephen colbert
bub - tim allen
miguel - carlos mencia
steel - andrew dice clay
fisher - steve carrell
johnson - seth rogen
torrez - jon stewart

it would have to be a mel brooks production:lol:

Trin
01-Feb-2008, 09:44 PM
Heath Ledger as Bub? :dead:

Okay, that was just in horrible taste and I'm ashamed of myself. :o

jim102016
01-Feb-2008, 11:29 PM
Heath Ledger as Bub? :dead:

Okay, that was just in horrible taste and I'm ashamed of myself. :o

Nothing to be ashamed about, he's just not quite rotten enough yet. Since he wasn't bitten, someone on this site might argue that he wouldn't come back anyhow.