PDA

View Full Version : Script writing...

MinionZombie
18-Apr-2006, 09:29 PM
Well, I've finally gotten the wind behind me again on the writing front on my current script project. Just over 3 weeks ago I started writing it, got 17 pages done over the course of 3 days and then ... 3 weeks of fudge all - either too busy or not 'in the zone'. Was getting pretty frustrated, I'm really psyched about this script and so I don't want to just let it die off - so I tricked my mind (as I often do in such situations) - think "I'll just go into the software and have a look at it" - then that gets me past the first (and often biggest - for me) hurdle - double clicking that icon.

Got in there, read a bit of what I'd written 3 weeks earlier, realised I'd forgotten who my characters were and got 'scared' - so I started writing, initially just to do one sequence, but then I got into it and had blasted off 15 pages during the day. I've now got 46 pages (ended up writing more for this segment than I'd thought) and I've got a good chunk more to do for this segment alone. A few months ago when starting to think about the ideas for the script I'd planned on making this part around 15 pages ... that's gone out the window, ha! Dialogue really chews up those pages doesn't it?

Although I'm now feeling the vibe again and really enjoying the chance to sit down and write, it's been nothing but the A49 these past few weeks ... so now I get to write ... and sit down ... two of my favourite things to do. :D :cool:

Anyone else get like this when script writing?

Svengoolie
18-Apr-2006, 09:43 PM
Screenplays are actually my story format of preference, MZ.

Have you checked out any of the screenwriting software that's available? Depending on your own personal style, it can be a benefit--you'll spend a lot less time pointing and clicking with that mouse and a lot more time actually getting stuff down on screen.

Danny
18-Apr-2006, 10:13 PM
i usually start a blank page and when an idea for a line comes down i type it, which usually leads to 2 pages of ramblings but you end up with a set of different dialogues and you can go back when writing a script for inspiration... or self plagarism.

as for a49, i much prefer the a38, its on a bus route,lol.

Svengoolie
18-Apr-2006, 10:33 PM
To hellsing:

1. Open mouth.

2. Insert Colt .45

3. Pull trigger and bite the bullet all the way to fruit loop heaven.

:D

Danny
19-Apr-2006, 12:48 AM
who the hells count vore de gol?

Svengoolie
19-Apr-2006, 01:24 AM
Ask Kaos. He'll tell ya.;)

Lord_Galvatron
24-Apr-2006, 01:35 AM
The software that I use is calld Sophocles:

www.sophocles.net

It is cheaper than other programs and it helps you a lot when because it sets the formatting while you just concentrate in writing. It saves yur Script in PDF format too.

Danny
28-Apr-2006, 09:38 AM
finally something that turns documents into pdf's with out popups for "sexy freind finder.com every five minutes when parents are near, thus creating a VERY uncomfortable situation,lol.

nice one galvatron, but soundwave was cooler.:cool:

Zombie-A-GoGo
28-Apr-2006, 10:55 AM
When I set to write a script, I do it with the thought in mind that I will--no matter what, or how much I like it--go back and strip it through rewrites. Then I let myself ramble on. When I go back through, it's really obvious what needs to go. I look at the dialog that seems bulky and I think really hard about how I can better deliever that information through action, or through character (or both, usually). Scriptwriting (and being brutal with your own stuff) can really condition you into making your writing very clear, and very concise. This is going to sound weird, but a really great way to get yourself used to writing under restrictions (and time/length would be the restriction with scripts), is to write poetry. If you adhere to certain rhyming schemes and meter, you're forced to be picky with your words. Just an idea. Furthermore, in the end, there's something very satisfying about taking a 150 page script and trimming it down to 85-90 pages without losing the meat of it. In my opinion, few indie horror writer/director/producers (heh) do this and the product usually drags.

DjfunkmasterG
28-Apr-2006, 11:32 AM
I have movie magic screenwriter... total garbage program. I also have seen Final Draft, which is pretty sweet. But I prfeer a good ole Word Document over anything. When making your own films you can do what format is easier for you and if you get paid enough you can hire someone to format it correctly.

:D

MinionZombie
28-Apr-2006, 12:13 PM
Some good points there man.

Yeh I used to write a load of poetry, haven't done in quite some time, but what was learnt remains. Yeh I've gotten past the "oh I really like that bit so I'll keep it in" phase that a lot of people still seem to be in - same way with my editing now. If it's not adding anything or it doesn't make full sense to include it then it's out - even if I thought it was a cool shot or something.

With dialogue I try to say it all outloud, with the script I'm writing at the moment I've kind of taken my group of friends and given them alternate names (not necessarily basing the script characters on them) so I can understand the scripted group dynamic better. That really helps.

Indeed, I try to be free on the first draft and then the second draft is the "big diet draft". Third draft is the polish draft and the fourth is the bits 'n' pieces draft. I generally do four drafts of my scripts these days.

When I wrote the script for "Manhunt Did It" (you can see that through my DeadShed website) it came out at around 36 pages ... over a further 3 drafts I got that cut down to about 17 or 18 pages and really streamlined the whole thing. Since then I've done a couple more scripts that have been dialogue-heavy/based, to help me write better and more realistic dialogue.

Good points there man.

Danny
28-Apr-2006, 01:13 PM
thats the easy way to tell if you have the makings of a writer, you get a task like... oh lets say "write a short 750 word script of a scene", and end up writing, on a roll, 30-40 pages of bullcrap and random stuff:lol:

but doesnt it allways eat you up inside when you gotta cut bits out to shorten it even though you love the lines?, damn thats the most painful part of the job.

MinionZombie
28-Apr-2006, 02:46 PM
Welllllll....thus far I haven't really needed to cut out anything major. I guess when I wrote the script for "Smack Addict" I was kinda grumpy that I had to edit out certain terms as other people would find them insulting - meanwhile me and my mates find them hilarious (in-jokes you know). Likewise with another script I did recently (which I sent off to a company looking for short scripts), I had to cut out a few words or replace them with terms that meant the same but weren't as obviously offensive, haha.

Indeed, with the script I'm writing at the moment I roughly mapped out where I wanted to go on one side of A4. I planned to make that turn into 10 to 15 pages ... I ended up with 56, lol! Also another thing that many writer writers do is just map out something very roughly and they never really know where the story will go, to the point where they surprise themselves. I do this - it's like watching a movie in my head and I just write down what I see. It's a great method, but not everybody can do it - people all think differently you know.

Danny
28-Apr-2006, 04:23 PM
same here, thats how im come up with x files sized plot twists , and find myself reading it over going "this is awesome", buts its all doodles of spiderman,:lol:

chukrok
29-Apr-2006, 11:13 PM
I'm pretty new to the whole screenwriting thing, but I also will write furiously for a while, then it seems like weeks before I put one word down. As for software, I use a freeware program called Rough Draft. www.rsalsbury.co.uk/rd.htm
It has a lot of the bells and whistles of the expensive software, like auto formatting, and has 3 writing modes: normal, screenplay, and stage/radio play.

Lord_Galvatron
29-Apr-2006, 11:24 PM
finally something that turns documents into pdf's with out popups for "sexy freind finder.com every five minutes when parents are near, thus creating a VERY uncomfortable situation,lol.

nice one galvatron, but soundwave was cooler.:cool:

I know... but consider this. When Galvatron talks, all the trekkies in the world stops and listens.

'Nuff said :elol:

Danny
30-Apr-2006, 10:17 AM
aah, very wise galavatron.

but what happened to soundwave in the transformers film?, he dissappeared halfway through:lol:

Lord_Galvatron
30-Apr-2006, 07:00 PM
Well, he survived the movie, he appears on season 3 and I believe in season 4 (Headmasters) too. After the great war... who knows. His cassette, Ravage, was granted amnesty by the maximals and became a predacon. He is a covert agent to the predacons secret police and died (as a decepticon) in Beast Wars Season 2.

Hope this helps! :D