PDA

View Full Version : Dogs or Cats...

Mike70
03-Feb-2008, 03:30 AM
let's hash this out once and for all.

as you can see i am a cat person. as the "men on" segment of "in living color" would've said - "dogs. hate 'em." can't stand dogs at all. never have and never will.

Legion2213
03-Feb-2008, 03:37 AM
I don't have any pets at the moment, but I've had cat's and a dog in my time.

Dogs require a lot more care and attention, but they are just as rewarding as pets (more so IMO).

That said, I like the selfish, independence and individualism of cat's

I refuse to vote in this poll! Both animals are cool in their own way. :D

Edit: when you meet that Genie, you better wish for being impervious to bullets and stuff....gonna be some seriously pissed dog owners hunting your ass! :evil:

MinionZombie
03-Feb-2008, 10:59 AM
If I had a gun to my head, as the saying goes, I'd choose dog.

I don't like how cats think they own the gaff and you're their servant, just swanning about as they please...there are the odd cats though that I do get along with and who like me, but generally we don't get along. :D

Dogs though, almost all dogs like me and I like them. I wouldn't want to actually own one as I couldn't be arsed with looking after one, so it wouldn't be fair, but if I'm over a friend's house and they have a pet - I'd rather it be a dog than a cat.

Dogs know their place, they're in a pack mentality - hell, they're "man's best friend" for a good reason.

Although the neighbour's dog that barks all the f*cking time pisses me off, but the owners piss me off more, ultimately it isn't the dog's fault...but *sigh*...shaddup already! :p

Terran
03-Feb-2008, 11:00 AM
Parrot

Khardis
03-Feb-2008, 02:32 PM
I prefer dogs personally, and not just because I'm deathly allergic to cats either. Its because dogs are pack animals, as such they become an actual member of the family, which is more than just being a pet which is what cats are. Cats are beautiful animals though. Just not for me, from a pet I want something that will actually understand that we are part of the same family/pack.

MaximusIncredulous
03-Feb-2008, 03:28 PM
If I had to have a pet, I'd go with a dog although I'd hate to walk them. I can't say I envy dog owners when they have to pick up the doo on a busy street in front of everyone. Cats are too aloof and self-serving, as adults anyway. Kittens are cute though.

3pidemiC
03-Feb-2008, 05:15 PM
I have such a soft spot for kittens...

http://nbpfaus.net/~pfau/Kitten-1-large.jpg

MinionZombie
03-Feb-2008, 05:25 PM
Kittens are awesome, as are puppies ... heck, all little pets are pretty much awesome.

Then kittens grow up and swan around like they're King Sh*t.

If only kittens would stay as such, eh? :)

Terran
03-Feb-2008, 09:35 PM
I prefer dogs personally, and not just because I'm deathly allergic to cats either. Its because dogs are pack animals, as such they become an actual member of the family, which is more than just being a pet which is what cats are.

That is what makes dogs desirable....Parrots and other bird species are pack animals as well....so they have similar characteristics....Parrots are ridiculously smart though (especially African Grays).....

but yeah I would pick dogs over cats any day....Ive only met one cat that I ever liked and that was because it had a very dog like temperament...

Khardis
03-Feb-2008, 10:21 PM
That is what makes dogs desirable....Parrots and other bird species are pack animals as well....so they have similar characteristics....Parrots are ridiculously smart though (especially African Grays).....

but yeah I would pick dogs over cats any day....Ive only met one cat that I ever liked and that was because it had a very dog like temperament...

I hand raised cockatiels when I was a kid they were also family animals too.

Danny
03-Feb-2008, 11:15 PM
Parrots are ridiculously smart though (especially African Grays).....

im my local pet store there used to be one of those big grey bastards that allways whent wappy when i walked past its cage, it screeched, reached out through the bars and me and occasionally swore, and the owners said it never did it for anyone else.
probably the only time iver venemously hated a bird to the degree the monkey in chris closet hates him in family guy.

ill go with cats, dogs are too dumb , see you can say "but a dog can be tuaght how to sit", so can a cat, difference is the cat doesnt see a reason why it should demean itself for you;)

Terran
04-Feb-2008, 02:26 AM
Domestic cats arent smarter than dogs......Lions and big cats...maybe equally as smart....

but dogs probally arent as smart as pigs....pigs can play video games....really no joke

http://tecfa.unige.ch/~nova/img/pig.gif

http://liftlab.com/think/nova/2005/05/16/a-joystick-targetted-for-pigs/

That cat arguement "cats are smart enough to do tricks they just dont want to" is used a lot by cat enthusiasts but it just doesnt really make any logical sense....as humans we sort of measure "intelligence" by the ability of the animal to learn new behavior....Whales are smart cause we can train them to do complicated tricks and demonstrate complex social behavior....

Dogs are smart because we train train them to do any number of tricks....speak on command...sit ....stay....roll over....sniff out drugs....sniff out cancer...sniff out bombs....hunt with (complex training to teach a dog to bite soft)....the list goes on....

Cats on the other hand while reasonably intelligent cant really be compared with dogs....they a born hunters and rely heavily on their instincts which dictates their behavior...while "intelligent" animals generally learn their behavior.....

Mutineer
04-Feb-2008, 02:34 AM
I like all animals; grew up with dogs and cats and currently have 2 cats (no time for a dog).

Dogs are easy. They'll like you no matter what.

With a cat, you must earn their respect. I always thought that was cool that they don't just automatically slobber all over you or other people that walk in the door.

Khardis
04-Feb-2008, 02:54 AM
im my local pet store there used to be one of those big grey bastards that allways whent wappy when i walked past its cage, it screeched, reached out through the bars and me and occasionally swore, and the owners said it never did it for anyone else.
probably the only time iver venemously hated a bird to the degree the monkey in chris closet hates him in family guy.

ill go with cats, dogs are too dumb , see you can say "but a dog can be tuaght how to sit", so can a cat, difference is the cat doesnt see a reason why it should demean itself for you;)

Dogs aren't dumb, they are intelligent animals. They actually have emotions and live higher up on the evolutionary scale than cats do. Cats are just stock predators like crocodiles or spiders. Muahahaha

Domestic cats arent smarter than dogs......Lions and big cats...maybe equally as smart....

but dogs probally arent as smart as pigs....pigs can play video games....really no joke

http://tecfa.unige.ch/~nova/img/pig.gif

http://liftlab.com/think/nova/2005/05/16/a-joystick-targetted-for-pigs/

That cat arguement "cats are smart enough to do tricks they just dont want to" is used a lot by cat enthusiasts but it just doesnt really make any logical sense....as humans we sort of measure "intelligence" by the ability of the animal to learn new behavior....Whales are smart cause we can train them to do complicated tricks and demonstrate complex social behavior....

Dogs are smart because we train train them to do any number of tricks....speak on command...sit ....stay....roll over....sniff out drugs....sniff out cancer...sniff out bombs....hunt with (complex training to teach a dog to bite soft)....the list goes on....

Cats on the other hand while reasonably intelligent cant really be compared with dogs....they a born hunters and rely heavily on their instincts which dictates their behavior...while "intelligent" animals generally learn their behavior.....

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Debbieangel
04-Feb-2008, 03:06 AM
Personally I love all animals! I voted dogs but cats are cool too!
We have a ferret is soo smart!
Actually, we have dogs,cats,ferret, bunny!
Ya animals I love em'!

Terran
04-Feb-2008, 03:26 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself.

I dunno...you couldve added more explanation points!!!...!!!...!!! :D

They actually have emotions and live higher up on the evolutionary scale than cats do.

Just to be a stickler in terms of evolution that would be a false statement....Its called a teleological argument (used a lot by intelligent design people or creationists)....Its basically wording that implies all life essentially wants to be humans and humans are working their way up this "ladder" trying to reach spirit or angel status...they just arent "evolved enough" or far up enough on the "evolutionary ladder"....Humans are the most evolved and all other animals are just "lower" animals or not "evolved" enough....and this is just not correct if one is talking about the scientific concept of evolution....

Like when you say "live higher up on the evolutionary scale" your actually referring to diagrams like this....I couldnt find the one that basically goes .....Matter < Animals < Human < Angels < God.....
http://www.chanceandchoice.com/ChanceandChoice/Ladder.jpg
and this just has nothing to do with science...

Its an incorrect notion that has unfortunately infiltrated a lot of the lingo when talking about evolution....because strictly speaking there is no such thing as an "evolutionary scale"....A simple jellyfish or bacteria is just as "evolved" as a human or anything else on the planet...but still this incorrect concept permeates in the lingo because we refer to them as "lower organisms"....etc....

Khardis
04-Feb-2008, 04:25 AM
I dunno...you couldve added more explanation points!!!...!!!...!!! :D

Just to be a stickler in terms of evolution that would be a false statement....Its called a teleological argument (used a lot by intelligent design people or creationists)....Its basically wording that implies all life essentially wants to be humans and humans are working their way up this "ladder" trying to reach spirit or angel status...they just arent "evolved enough" or far up enough on the "evolutionary ladder"....Humans are the most evolved and all other animals are just "lower" animals or not "evolved" enough....and this is just not correct if one is talking about the scientific concept of evolution....

Like when you say "live higher up on the evolutionary scale" your actually referring to diagrams like this....I couldnt find the one that basically goes .....Matter < Animals < Human < Angels < God.....
http://www.chanceandchoice.com/ChanceandChoice/Ladder.jpg
and this just has nothing to do with science...

Its an incorrect notion that has unfortunately infiltrated a lot of the lingo when talking about evolution....because strictly speaking there is no such thing as an "evolutionary scale"....A simple jellyfish or bacteria is just as "evolved" as a human or anything else on the planet...but still this incorrect concept permeates in the lingo because we refer to them as "lower organisms"....etc....

The pinnacle of earth evolution is intelligence and self awareness. Humans are the most advanced species on our planet.

Terran
04-Feb-2008, 07:14 AM
The pinnacle of earth evolution is intelligence and self awareness. Humans are the most advanced species on our planet.

I dunno....I would say the pinnacle of earths evolution was photosynthesis....that’s whats made everything else even possible in the forms we see today…..

But even thats besides the point....the point is that evolution is nearly random and not teleologic....if certain extinctions didnt happen humans would have never happened....if certain species didnt first develop certain future species would have never developed...

Its not like evolution thought "Hmm, intelligence is the ultimate goal of this whole entire process and mammals, more specifically primates, were the most capable, the most selected to fullfill evolutions plan"

Intelligence is a useful adaptive strategy but not the most useful nor the most selected for....if an asteroid didn’t allegedly hit the planet millions of years ago "conscious" life might be more of the bird/dino variety....

Are humans the smartest animals on the planet…of course….were we destined to this fate….of course not…

Khardis
04-Feb-2008, 10:13 AM
photosynthesis while amazing and beautiful is not nearly as impressive as self consciousness.

Terran
04-Feb-2008, 10:22 AM
photosynthesis while amazing and beautiful is not nearly as impressive as self consciousness.

Well....sure ....I guess....but on a given person this could be debatable...but all the rest of the things i said still remain valid...and that was the meat of things...

bassman
04-Feb-2008, 03:22 PM
Definitely dogs. Cats are like the drag queens of the animal kingdom....

My second choice would be ferrets.

fartpants
04-Feb-2008, 07:47 PM
cats are the perfect pet for lazy people, no walking them just feed them once a day and let them outside to take care of business. plus cats have an attitude where as dogs are just soppy lumps..

Craig
04-Feb-2008, 08:29 PM
Cats are damn boring. Their free will and attitude is surely the sort of thing you don't want in a pet, you want a pet to rely on you and respect you, which cats don't. They could never be the sort of companion a dog can be, a few more thousand years of domestication, then, maybe.

Skippy911sc
05-Feb-2008, 03:26 PM
Watch a boy and his dog...enough said

Terran
05-Feb-2008, 06:13 PM
Great movie

clanglee
06-Feb-2008, 02:01 AM
They both taste great!!!!;)

jdog
06-Feb-2008, 04:15 PM
dogs all the way. a cat cant bring back birds after i shoot them lol.

MissJacksonCA
09-Mar-2008, 10:59 PM
I'm going to have to go with dogs on this one... I just can't trust something that wont go in the water... sounds witchy to meee...

That and every now and then when I look at my cat I get the feeling like she's secretly plotting my demise. And when you tell a cat 'NO' when they do something evil to the furniture for some reason they flash this look like 'who me? I didn't do anything' ... they're too cagey to be trusted I tell ya! Whereas when you tell the dog no he gives you this awww damn I screwed up didn't I? look... yeah... dogs deffnly

blind2d
10-Mar-2008, 02:04 AM
Tigers love to swim! (you guessed it, I'm a feline-fan). had a dog, wasn't great.

DawnGirl27
04-Oct-2008, 01:41 PM
Dogs. Big ones. Grew up with German Shepherds and now have a Malamute. We have two cats, which I don't mind, but if I had to choose between the two, dogs all the way, baby. :p

horrormad
04-Oct-2008, 01:48 PM
I vote dogs.