PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Who compared to Dawn of the Dead?

Cykotic
19-Apr-2006, 06:18 AM
So, I checked out the reviews of the latest Doctor Who Episode "New Earth" and I found something that made me smile:

The Guardian: "It's scary sci-fi, camp humour and warm family viewing all in one - Star Trek, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Carry On. And it's wonderful. Tennant turns out to be a splendid Doctor - likable, funny and sexy. Piper continues to be brilliant and gorgeous. And Russell T Davies' script has given Doctor Who a whole new injection of life. At last there's something to watch on a Saturday evening - apart from CSI and Match of the Day, obviously

Well, it did kinda have zombies in it!

Neil
19-Apr-2006, 07:03 AM
Hmmm... I enjoyed it, but the script needed tightening up a little...

Cykotic
19-Apr-2006, 07:05 AM
Did it?

I thought that "New Earth" was a great way to kick off the new series. However, I've heard great things about "Tooth and Claw"...

Burbank
19-Apr-2006, 09:49 AM
I don't know... it was a good episode and I liked the whole (kinda) zombies thing. But it lacked something... not sure if I like Tennant yet. He seems more like the Doctors of old rather than the last Doctor.

Not like the whole romance angle as well...

Cykotic
19-Apr-2006, 09:56 AM
I felt the same way when the last series started. As much as I loved the Original series, I knew that times had changed and the stories would be better. Trust me, by episode 3, it's gonna be good!!!

MinionZombie
19-Apr-2006, 10:16 AM
I'm surprised it's taken this long for a Who post to pop up.

Yeh I really enjoyed the episode too, I do agree with Neil that the script need a nip/tuck in the odd place ... or change a few words here and there which lingered near the "cheese zone", but overall I liked it - and Tennant is a good Doctor. It's also great to see a show with CGI graphics that work and don't punch above their weight.

And the whole 'zombie' ("infected" quite literally) part was great - hopefully it had a shedload of kids hiding behind their fingers/sofas :elol:

Danny
19-Apr-2006, 04:09 PM
i liked it and expect good things from this, compared with stuff like battlestar galactica on sky one most british people with terrestrial dont get stuff like that all they get is lost and reruns of star trek voyager.

hope the rumors about the darleks in this season are true.

Burbank
19-Apr-2006, 04:59 PM
Oh and one thing that really got on my nerves - the whole "Chav" thing. I mean the words will most likey be dead in 10 years never mind in however many million years later this was set.

hope the rumors about the darleks in this season are true.

What rumors? As far as I've heard there are no daleks in this season. Cybermen yes but no daleks.

MinionZombie
19-Apr-2006, 07:36 PM
*ahem* - "Series" :p, American shows have "seasons", lol.

Yeh, I thought the "chav" thing was a bit naff too, Rose isn't even a chav. I think the term has been abused too much, it's been spread out too much, now small traits of normal people that are shared (times by 100) by actual chavs mean that non-chavs are classified as chavs. Enough of the hazy border crap - Rose Tyler is not a chav, for one, she's a nice girl. Just because she's working class and from London doesn't mean she's a chav. I too thought the use of that term was pointless - how on earth would Cassandra know of it 5 billion (or was it million?) years in the future...come on. They're on New York Ver. 15, "chav" hasn't even made it across the atlantic pond. It was one of the parts of Davis' script that needed nipping & tucking.

Danny
19-Apr-2006, 09:45 PM
What rumors? As far as I've heard there are no daleks in this season. Cybermen yes but no daleks.

if you aint heard it i aint gonna ruin it for ya.:cool:

kortick
20-Apr-2006, 12:41 AM
the little I have seen of the new doctor i have liked

i am having problems with my work schedule
interfering with the times it is shown on sci fi

and yes they played the dalek episode last week
and i missed it

Rottedfreak
20-Apr-2006, 11:35 AM
The Tardis translates the local language to it's passangers, when Cassandra called Rose a Chav it's the closest apporximation the Tardis could decipher using only Rose's lingue as a context.

MinionZombie
20-Apr-2006, 12:01 PM
*Homer mode on* NEEEEEEERRRRRRRD!!! :D:D *Homer mode off*

Rottedfreak
21-Apr-2006, 07:50 AM
Oi! It's right there is the first episode that Cassandra appears in.

:eek:
Oh god I AM a GEEK! When did this happen! WHEEEEEEEN!!!!