PDA

View Full Version : Gun buying opinions, (since Cb is still lurking.)

p2501
01-Mar-2006, 02:06 PM
I'm getting something new for concealed carry. i love my p229, but the thing is a monster to lug around all day in an SOB holster, along with two+ mags. further it constantly makes my Kilt all but fall off of me.

Here's what i've boiled down my options too, considering i want to stay with 9mm.

A glock 19, or possible a 26 (the 26 is almost too small for my hands.).
A HK USP compact.
Or a Springfield XD compact.

Ideally i'm looking for something i can carry on my hip or SOB and not look like i have an abnormal groth protruding from my waist.

Discuss

MinionZombie
01-Mar-2006, 05:02 PM
You carry a gun around alllll day? Where the hell do you live, downtown Iraq?

p2501
01-Mar-2006, 05:06 PM
Reading,Pa. we have one of the highest murder rates per population density in the country. Reading is always in the ton 10% when the FBI complies they're yearly crime statistics.

those facts aside. I carry more so because there are so many assholes out there.

p2501
01-Mar-2006, 08:18 PM
nice, sweet i'm like 3 miles from where 61 hits 12.

i was playing with an HK last week, i'm thinking i migt do that, just because i think i'm going to throw a tac light on whatever i buy. the HK compact has that rail already built into it.

reading isn't all that bad, it's just you learn to avoid certain areas. as with most other places.

Tri0xin
01-Mar-2006, 10:03 PM
Those little pistols are cool as hell, and fit right in the palm of your hand! If some guy walks up to you starting some sh*t, you can pull that baby out and shoot him in the face before he even knows what hit him!

In this day and age, with all the arabs, and blacks, and mexicans, and crazy a*s white punks running around, I don't blame you for taking full advantage of the conceal and carry law!

DjfunkmasterG
01-Mar-2006, 10:51 PM
I used to live near reading and DJ'd at a bar in Kutztown called Shorty's back in the late 90's.

Small world aint' it.

p2501
01-Mar-2006, 11:19 PM
indeed it is Dj.

Trioxin: racisis is the last rreason anyone should have a firearm. honestly most of my problems in life stem from cacuasians.

Tri0xin
01-Mar-2006, 11:24 PM
indeed it is Dj.

Trioxin: racisis is the last rreason anyone should have a firearm. honestly most of my problems in life stem from cacuasians.

Yeah. I know what you mean. There's a lot of crazy white people running around too. Still never hurts to be armed though. If they run up on you looking to start some sh*t, you'll have cold steel to settle the situation.

Ski
02-Mar-2006, 05:08 PM
i really like the glock 23, for weight purposes mostly. i can hardly feel it on my side compared to the 9 mil i used to carry. Its a tad small for my hand but once i got used to it i like it.

As for concealment, it hides well, but Alaska is a right to carry state. No permits here.

p2501
02-Mar-2006, 05:44 PM
very cool. the 23 is a .45 right? i think when i break for a .45 i'm going with a springfeild, i know too many professionals that swear by them to use anything else.

i do miss my old glock 17c though. that was a neat gun.

Ski
02-Mar-2006, 07:55 PM
no, .40.

seen that smooth edged sig yet?

p2501
03-Mar-2006, 12:23 AM
oh, ok.

yeah on the Sig, i basicly live on their website.

Ski
03-Mar-2006, 12:41 AM
pretty slick, pun intended heh.

Eyebiter
03-Mar-2006, 02:18 AM
Instead of getting another semi auto, I'd get a Smith and Wesson 'J' frame revolver. The hammerless version works great, no sharp edges to catch in your pocket.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/162810_thumb.jpg

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/163050_thumb.jpg

Crappingbear
06-Mar-2006, 03:48 AM
I don't carry a hip gun--too heavy and it looks like you are wearing a colostomy bag or carrying a gun. You can carry a full size pistol with lasers, lights and Christmas tree ornaments in the car. For concealed, I prefer the simple S & W air weight .38 hammerless as show in a pic in an above post. It disappears in a pocket holster in a pair of shorts or dockers. It does print on jeans unless you get them a bit lose. For sob carry, its invisible. The weight is not even noticeable and with +P+ hollowpoints it has plenty of fire power. Its a last resort belly gun for self preservation and not for taking pot shots across a parking lot. But, thats fine because thats the whole point of concealed. The first rule is to run away and never pull a hogleg unless your life is in immediate danger.

p2501
06-Mar-2006, 01:25 PM
Instead of getting another semi auto, I'd get a Smith and Wesson 'J' frame revolver. The hammerless version works great, no sharp edges to catch in your pocket.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/162810_thumb.jpg
QUOTE]

already there, i have a S&W 642 in.38+ already. great little gun.

[QUOTE=Crappingbear]I don't carry a hip gun--too heavy and it looks like you are wearing a colostomy bag or carrying a gun. You can carry a full size pistol with lasers, lights and Christmas tree ornaments in the car. For concealed, I prefer the simple S & W air weight .38 hammerless as show in a pic in an above post. It disappears in a pocket holster in a pair of shorts or dockers. It does print on jeans unless you get them a bit lose. For sob carry, its invisible. The weight is not even noticeable and with +P+ hollowpoints it has plenty of fire power. Its a last resort belly gun for self preservation and not for taking pot shots across a parking lot. But, thats fine because thats the whole point of concealed. The first rule is to run away and never pull a hogleg unless your life is in immediate danger.

fair points all around, the parking lot thing killed me BTW.

I think more so i'm looking for something new to play with, that i can carry. over the weekend i pulled out my old Sig 232 (the james bond gun in .380) and honestly i had forgotten how simple and light that gun is to carry.

general tbag
20-Aug-2006, 12:01 PM
what did u end up buying, glock 19 is a good choice, or else a kimber elite compact .45

nothing like a .45 at your side.

i cant wait till nebraska allows ccw permits next year.

and to be hoenst myself ill be carrying a nice big gun, nothing more intimidating than people knowing from the big buldge in your jacket ur packing heat.

Svengoolie
20-Aug-2006, 03:40 PM
nothing more intimidating than people knowing from the big buldge in your jacket ur packing heat.

Yeah. Right.:rolleyes:

Exatreides
20-Aug-2006, 04:07 PM
you could alwas spend $1300 on a golden desert eagle :p

I'm a little biased for the Beretta M92F, but then again its the only side arm i'v fired (at drills a couple weeks ago) even though it is a bit heavier then the P-225, its still lighter then the H&K Mark 23 (by .3 pounds)

Then again you can always go FN Five seven, 20 round magazine and the 5.57 mm round, shorter then the Mark 23 by 1.5 inches amd lighter by .7 pounds.

Wooley
20-Aug-2006, 06:32 PM
P2501 wants to carry concealed, so a large frame duty weapon like a Beretta 92 is right out.

5.7mm's ballistics suck, as a fighting cartridge. It's original intention was to penetrate body armor. To do that, you send small projectiles at high speeds. They don't expand, and they don't have the large section wise to cut a large wound to let the blood out. That's how you stop a gunfight-blow the other guy's brains out or sever his spine, or open some holes in him to cause shock and shut him down that way.

Since the ATF has ruled the 5.7 AP round off limits to civilians because, surprise, it's AP, that leaves a few rounds left to fire out of that overpriced
.22, which is what it's like, as far as wound potential goes, according to the people who have related stories of 5.7mm's use in gunfights, it's only point for a civilian is as a curiousity.

Case in point, a guy related a sotry about two Texas cops who shot a couple of armed robbers. One guy gets nailed by an officer's 12 guage, goes right down. Second guy gets drilled repeatedly by the other officer's P90 subgun with the 5.7mm cartridge, and screams "Stop shooting me with that thing!" as the offender runs away.

I've heard good things about Kel Tec's compact semiautos, and Kahr's line of compacts if you want to go semiauto.

p2501
21-Aug-2006, 01:49 PM
Case in point, a guy related a sotry about two Texas cops who shot a couple of armed robbers. One guy gets nailed by an officer's 12 guage, goes right down. Second guy gets drilled repeatedly by the other officer's P90 subgun with the 5.7mm cartridge, and screams "Stop shooting me with that thing!" as the offender runs away.

That's epic, simply epic. :D

general tbag
17-Sep-2006, 07:01 PM
so what did u buy ?

Khardis
17-Sep-2006, 10:37 PM
Reading,Pa. we have one of the highest murder rates per population density in the country. Reading is always in the ton 10% when the FBI complies they're yearly crime statistics.

those facts aside. I carry more so because there are so many assholes out there.

You dont need an excuse to conceal carry bud, dont ever let anyone think you do. It was written into the constitution, you have a god given right. Period.

I revel in telling people I dont hunt, that my small arsenal is for shooting humans should the world ever collapse or someone is breaking into my home. I dont pretend that I will be in peril one day, but then I dont pretend I wont ever be in a car accident either. I buy insurance and arms.

The foundes did the right thing, they wrote the 1st amendment and tossed in a ton of awsome rights that didnt exist the same way anywhere else in the world. Then to assure that they wouldnt be taken away made the 2nd amendment which backs them up. THats all. :)