instead of on dvd or video

I saw all of them on the big screens
(except Night) when they came out originally
i saw Night at a theater playing double bill
with last house on the left

So I guess i am wondering
was it always something that was wanted
not just to see a new Romero film but one on the big screen
and would you guys want to see the others at the theatres?

just curious cuz
having seen them all at first release
it was never even something i thought of at all

CoinReturn
20-Apr-2006, 01:09 AM
Garth, that was a haiku!

Svengoolie
20-Apr-2006, 05:42 AM
I'd LOVE to see them all on the big screen back to back!

And, it can happen.

In Chicago, there's a retrospective theater called "The Music Box" that shows old movies all the time. I've seen a whole bunch there....including Creepshow, A Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket, The Shining, Halloween, and It's A Wonderful Life.

Maybe someday they'll have the Dead flicks...;)

dmbfanintn
20-Apr-2006, 03:07 PM
I have always been of the opinion that movies in general are better on the big screen. Some movies, I believe, you HAVE to see on the big screen! Epic films are just not the same on a TV.

For fanatics of a certain genere or director, you hmust see as many of those on the big screen as possible.

I have been a GAR fan since I was a little kid and have seen several GAr films on the big screen and am so happy that I had that chance. You know he is getting to be an old man now and it would not surprise me, given the state of GARs career over the last decade or so, if he never has another film. Land very well may be the last film GAR ever makes! It am thrilled to have been able to it on the big screen as well!

The GAR films i have seen on the big screen are:

Dawn 78
Day
Night 90
Land
Monkey Shines
Creepshow
Creepshow2
The Dark Half

If I could catch the original Night somewhere on the big screen I could die a complete man!

We should all feel very fortunate that we got to see ANY GAR film on the big screen!

As the saying goes, "They just don't make em like that anymore!"

Chris....

Track1033
20-Apr-2006, 03:15 PM
Glsjaw and myself went to Slippery Rock University where they gave GAR the Keystone Film Award...they also had a large screen viewing of Creepshow...GAR was there and was signing autographs...it was real cool...anyway...I have seen night on the big screen during a halloween film festival...I saw DAWN on the big screen at a DOTD reunion and of course saw LAND opening night...just need to see DAY and then the collection will be complete...

Bunker65
20-Apr-2006, 06:45 PM
I agree with dmbfanintn's statement, "I have always been of the opinion that movies in general are better on the big screen. Some movies, I believe, you HAVE to see on the big screen! Epic films are just not the same on a TV."

With the exception on the original NOTLD I've seen all the others in the series on the big screen.

The best experience was seeing Dawn Of The Dead at a midnight show on opening night at a theatre in NYC.

After the movie I went into the subway to make my way home. Now it was after 2 in the morning & back then the homeless problem was pretty bad & much more visable then it is today. The homeless used to live in the subway tunnels & I saw some people coming out of the tunnels & all I could see were GAR's shamblers :D. Scared the living daylights out of me :lol:.

Luckily for me my brother has a "media room" with a 10 plus foot HD screen that I can get some of the same feeling you would get at the movies. Heck, his screen is almost the size of some of the screens at the huge multiplex's that are around now :). I plan on having a GAR film festival there for all my nieces & nephews who have missed seeing GAR's films.

axlish
20-Apr-2006, 07:02 PM
The cinema has taken a backseat to the home theatre since the dawn of DVD.

Why? Because folks with cell phones & commentators/noisemakers have ruined the experience.

Don't get me wrong, the cinema would be the preferred experiece, if you were guranteed an attentive crowd that only made noises during the approproate moments, but that cannot be achieved anymore.

The only Romero films I have seen in the first run theatre is Night 90 and Land. I have seen a 16mm print of Night of the Living Dead (1968) at the Horrorfind convention in 2003. I also saw a 16mm print of Dawn of the Dead Cannes Festival Edit (owned by Lenny Lies) at the 2003 Pitt. Comicon.

dmbfanintn
20-Apr-2006, 07:16 PM

Why? Because folks with cell phones & commentators/noisemakers have ruined the experience.

That is so freakin true!

I was on a 3 day business trip to Spartanburg SC last week and decided to go catch "Slither" one night (alone :( ) There were probably 25 people in the theatre at the time and I guess due to the atmosphere, it wasn't that bad, but it was very rowdy in the theatre.

I was the only white person in the theatre, (I know I am treading on thin ice here, but I think I am OK to say this as my wife is black) and if you have ever been to the movies with a crowd of black folk, you know how rowdy it gets.

I enjoyed the movie, but would have preferred a more calm crowd.

Now in some movies, it is totally unacceptable to be rowdy. My wife (who is black :D ) has a bad habit of turning around and telling someone to be quiet, quite forcefully at times!

axlish
20-Apr-2006, 07:40 PM
I was on a 3 day business trip to Spartanburg SC last week and decided to go catch "Slither"

Christ almighty, that was the exact film I was thinking about when I made that comment! Cell Phones, convos and commentators, the three evil C's of Cinema! I can't wait to get the DVD so I can hear the 20% of the dialogue that I missed.

(I know I am treading on thin ice here, but I think I am OK to say this as my wife is black)

Now that is studlyness personified.

dmbfanintn
20-Apr-2006, 08:00 PM
Now that is studlyness personified. :D :D :D :D

What did you think about Slither, I REALLY enjoyed it. the most fun I have had at a movie since Shaun of the Dead!

axlish
20-Apr-2006, 08:40 PM
Loved it.

I really liked when the slug in the bathroom was "limping"

I had more fun than with Shaun. Unfortunately Slither tanked at the box office. Hopefully it will grow some legs on DVD.

Svengoolie
21-Apr-2006, 02:07 AM

LOL! I think it was probably a little before that, axlish!

Substitute "DVD" for "VCRs and Cable" and you're spot on, though.

One of the best/worst experiences of my life was when I went to see the re-release of the Exorcist a couple of years back. While it was great to see the flick on the big screen, the theater was full of the three C's...:mad:

Danny
21-Apr-2006, 02:15 AM
I'd LOVE to see them all on the big screen back to back!

And, it can happen.

In Chicago, there's a retrospective theater called "The Music Box" that shows old movies all the time. I've seen a whole bunch there....including Creepshow, A Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket, The Shining, Halloween, and It's A Wonderful Life.

Maybe someday they'll have the Dead flicks...;)

a wonderful life thats just sick!:lol:

seriously though id love to see the origional dawn rereleased in cinemas, that'd be bitchin'!.

axlish
21-Apr-2006, 02:19 AM
LOL! I think it was probably a little before that, axlish!

Substitute "DVD" for "VCRs and Cable" and you're spot on, though.

If we are talking content only, then sure. I am speaking more about the home theatre in regards to digital stereo equipment becoming mainstream. DTS and 5.1 sound debuted on laserdisc but that was a niche market. DVD is what sealed the deal.

Eyebiter
21-Apr-2006, 03:07 AM
Anyone else remember weekend horror movies at the drive in?

Night of the Living Dead 68 and Dawn of the Dead 78 would be a great double feature.

Moon Knight
24-Apr-2006, 07:09 AM
I agree with the three c's. I always pray for a great crowd whenever I go to the theater.

Slither was fun, but it could have been a bit better.

One of the things that really excited me about watching Land Of The Dead on the big screen was in fact that it was gonna be the first GAR film to be watched on the big screen. To get the chance to watch Dawn Of The Dead the way it was first intended to be seen would be such a pleasure.

HLS
29-Apr-2006, 04:47 AM
I have been noticing that one of the things that
people here liked about Land was the fact that
it was the first GAR dead film they got to see in the theaters
instead of on dvd or video

I saw all of them on the big screens
(except Night) when they came out originally
i saw Night at a theater playing double bill
with last house on the left

So I guess i am wondering
was it always something that was wanted
not just to see a new Romero film but one on the big screen
and would you guys want to see the others at the theatres?

just curious cuz
having seen them all at first release
it was never even something i thought of at all

I would love to see all the movies on the big screen!!! Especially Day. That would make for an awesome evening!:p

roger_19
30-Apr-2006, 07:42 PM
I only got to see land of the dead in a movie theatre. I wish that I was born back in the 60s to see night, dawn and day in theatres. though It's pretty good in dvd if you have a home theater. just lock the windows and leave the room all dark and watch the movie. that's what I always do.