PDA

View Full Version : Driller Killer

capncnut
18-Feb-2008, 10:28 PM
Okay, hear me out. It ain't TOO bad. What the film lacks in coherent plot more than makes up in gore. Not my favourite Abel Ferrara movie but it ain't a bad start considering the budget. Plus, it's got some great footage (inside and out) of the old Max's Kansas City, a real treat for punk fans.

So, what did you think? (I'm expecting an overwhelmingly bad response :D)

Plus, what happened to the remake? There was one being shot in England last year if I'm not mistaken.

MinionZombie
19-Feb-2008, 10:13 AM
I remember watching it when all those films were being unleashed for the first time properly in the UK back in 1999 through 2002 when the first wave was going on. I enjoyed it, but at the time I didn't like the really loose nature of the dialogue - basically a bunch of people sitting around in manky apartments whilst the viewer waits for some grungy punk violence to kick off. But I appreciate it more now, although I haven't seen it since...it'd be one I'd have to return to when I'm in the mood.

SymphonicX
19-Feb-2008, 10:20 AM
nah definitely not a movie for me, was very very disappointed at the worse-than-pirate-video quality and plain awful acting/dialogue...the gore wasn't even that great for me, i found myself drifting out....

Danny
19-Feb-2008, 12:18 PM
you know i got the box of the banned box set with films like driller killer, last house on the left, evil dead, zombie flesheaters and i spit on your grave but ive not watched one of em since i bought it 2 years ago.

plus i just cant bring myself to watch i spit on your grave again :hurl:

MinionZombie
19-Feb-2008, 03:50 PM
ISOYG was brutal. I've seen the fully uncut version and geeeeeeeez. Last House I've been through a few times, what with the 2-disc DVD treatment, both versions and both commentaries, since I got it. Driller Killer I've seen once when dubbed it off a dub from a mate, hehe (old school) and Evil Dead - heck I've seen that a bunch of times. Own it twice on video and once on DVD (book of the dead edition).

I got the 2-disc ZFE aka Zombi 2 25th Anniversary edition a while back, watched the lot (except commentary) once through and haven't gone back since...but you've gotta be in the mood for it, so that's not a disowning of the flick, because I quite enjoy it actually.

major jay
20-Feb-2008, 10:19 PM
I need to check this one out. I've read that Ferrara sounds a bit "medicated" on the audio commentary.

capncnut
20-Feb-2008, 10:26 PM
I need to check this one out. I've read that Ferrara sounds a bit "medicated" on the audio commentary.
YES! He rambles his way through it slurring 'upsy daisy' every time someone gets diced. His drunken solo rendition of The Rolling Stones' 'Shattered' is worth the price of the disc alone. :lol:

Mike70
20-Feb-2008, 10:58 PM
i don't know. if i came across this in the cut out bin at half-price books i might think about getting. my experience with "banned" movies has not been good. i usually end up sitting there going WTF was this banned for? who they hell would watch it anyway. couple of yahrens ago i picked up the previously banned and completely infamous "cannibal holocaust" for a $1 at half-price books. i hated it so much i mailed it to phillyswat.

Legion2213
20-Feb-2008, 11:14 PM
ISOYG was brutal. I've seen the fully uncut version and geeeeeeeez. Last House I've been through a few times, what with the 2-disc DVD treatment, both versions and both commentaries, since I got it. Driller Killer I've seen once when dubbed it off a dub from a mate, hehe (old school) and Evil Dead - heck I've seen that a bunch of times. Own it twice on video and once on DVD (book of the dead edition).

I got the 2-disc ZFE aka Zombi 2 25th Anniversary edition a while back, watched the lot (except commentary) once through and haven't gone back since...but you've gotta be in the mood for it, so that's not a disowning of the flick, because I quite enjoy it actually.

Is that "book of the dead" version an anchor bay product?

I've heard it is horribly cropped (just scored this (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51J73J6ZW3L._AA240_.jpg) evil dead trilogy box set myself, it has the cropped and original unmatted version).

Looking forward to getting it, haven't seen the evil dead for a long time. :cool:

blind2d
21-Feb-2008, 01:43 AM
i'd like to see this one.

capncnut
30-Oct-2009, 07:12 PM
Major necromancy.

The remake is being filmed as we speak with British director Andrew Jones at the helm. Who's the lead? Mr. David Hess who played Krug in Last House On The Left.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjAxMTMxNjUyN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDI3NjYy._V1._ SX423_SY282_.jpg

Click (http://www.fearnet.com/news/interviews/b16355_exclusive_david_hess_talks_smash_cut.html) for Hess interview.

Eyebiter
30-Oct-2009, 08:43 PM
Another film called 'The CARPENTER' with Wings Hauser along similar lines

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/coverv/70/112770.jpg

blind2d
31-Oct-2009, 02:39 AM
Remember my last post? Well, I've seen it now, and glad at that! Gabriel Rodriguez and Jeremy Klein do fine work indeed.

krakenslayer
31-Oct-2009, 12:40 PM
I liked Driller Killer. It was dirty and grimy and unpleasant and jaded, but that just reflected the characters' world. It reminded me a little bit of my life when I was a student (without the killing, of course). :D

MoonSylver
31-Oct-2009, 08:43 PM
It reminded me a little bit of my life when I was a student (without the killing, of course). :D

Suuurrreee...should I contact Scottish authorities & see if they have any unsolved drill related homicides? :lol:

krakenslayer
31-Oct-2009, 09:33 PM
Suuurrreee...should I contact Scottish authorities & see if they have any unsolved drill related homicides? :lol:

Nope just "12 counts of murder in the first degree, 14 counts of armed theft of Federation property, 22 counts of piracy in high space, 18 counts of fraud, 37 counts of rape ...and one moving violation." :elol::elol:

MoonSylver
31-Oct-2009, 11:09 PM
Nope just "12 counts of murder in the first degree, 14 counts of armed theft of Federation property, 22 counts of piracy in high space, 18 counts of fraud, 37 counts of rape ...and one moving violation." :elol::elol:

"NOT guilty!" ;)

blind2d
01-Nov-2009, 04:50 PM
What's the band's name? The Roosters or something? Love that band.

capncnut
01-Nov-2009, 05:02 PM
What's the band's name? The Roosters or something? Love that band.
The Roosters fronted by Tony Coca-Cola. They were a little known punk band on the circuit. Actually Abel Ferrara had permission to film in Max's Kansas City while Sid Vicious did his little residency there in September 1978. Unfortunately, the filming schedule sprawled and it was not to be. Shame because Driller Killer might've been a different film entirely.

MoonSylver
10-Dec-2009, 04:51 AM
HOLY CRAP I first saw The Killer Shrews when I wuz a kid thats looooong ago, fiends and all I remember is there were some FUCKED UP dogs running around eating people. Aside from that I dont remember too much about it. what was the original plot again???

Roscoe P Coletrain vs dogs w/ carpets strapped to their back. Period.

Wait...HOW did we get from Driller Killer to Killer Shrews EXACTLY...:rockbrow:

:lol::p:moon:

blind2d
10-Dec-2009, 02:09 PM
Driller Shrews! Does anyone remember the MST3K song for this movie? It went something like... "Killer Shrews, Killer Shrews, don't know the difference between me and you, they come out at night, to give you a fright, you better watch out, 'cause they're about to take a bite!"