PDA

View Full Version : "Scene of the crime..."

Svengoolie
20-Apr-2006, 05:50 AM
"...The only person who could ever mess with this gun would be the sucker with the bread to buy it."

I'm not a gun nut, or anything close....but, I DO own what our Euro-friends would probably think is a stunning little multitude of firearms.

I've got and AR10, a BAR, and a shotgun. All gifts from my brother.

And, I've got four pistols....leftovers from my old job.

Although it's probably been done to death, I was just wondering--what would be the best firearm to have in a LD-type situation...especially in terms of long arms.

Now, the applications of such a weapon would also cross over into real life for use in a survivalist/home defense situation.

I'm thinking that the ideal long arm would preferably be semi-auto, be fairly accurate, and pack enough of a punch to put someone or something down with one shot.

Please, give your selections and give reasons why you chose them.

Thanks, sports fans....;)

deadwrtr
20-Apr-2006, 09:26 AM
[QUOTE=Svengoolie]"...The only person who could ever mess with this gun would be the sucker with the bread to buy it."

I believe it's "miss" not mess.

Although it would make quite a mess too.

Deadman_Deluxe
20-Apr-2006, 10:24 AM
[QUOTE=Svengoolie]"...The only person who could ever mess with this gun would be the sucker with the bread to buy it."

I believe it's "miss" not mess.

Word!

axlish
20-Apr-2006, 01:14 PM
If you are on foot, then I think a pistol is preferrable. You aren't going to have time to shoulder up a weapon, especially if the attacker is in close range. I'm not a gun expert, but I'd think you'd only want enough power to do the trick (blow their brains out). I guess a .38 would be nice, with some 6 packs of bullets ready for the reload (whatever those things are that cops have). Add a alluminum softball bat and you are good to go.

EDIT: I guess something with clips would be better, like a glock.

p2501
20-Apr-2006, 02:07 PM
Since everyone already corrected the quotational ****up........ i'll answer the question.

if your staying foot based, i think on of the following three would eb best.

Ruger 10/22 - small lightweight, the ammo is light an plentiful. it's stopping power is somewhat limited. it's more of a precision weapon than it is a rambo gun.

AR15. - .223 would be light enough to carry a ton of, the round has some umph to it. and supply parts are readily available.

AK47 - larger, bulkier weapon, but the rounder are bigger, and pack alot of knock down punch. further the weapon is a total pig and will function long after everything else is gone.

sidearm - seriously why are you getting that close?
but something in 9mm will do.

Axlish they're call speedloaders( :-p ). also a .38 is a very close quarter weapon, i'd side against it only due to it's effective range unless your trained on one alot.

Philly_SWAT
20-Apr-2006, 02:47 PM
Since everyone already corrected the quotational ****up........ i'll answer the question.

Well, almost. Peter says "Ain't it a crime", not "Scene of the crime"

axlish
20-Apr-2006, 03:57 PM
sidearm - seriously why are you getting that close?
but something in 9mm will do.

I'm thinking about being on foot, where a suprise can happen any time. If one hops up on me I just want to put it to its head and pop a cap. If it is over 10 feet away, why would I even F with it? I'm not trying to solve the crisis, just trying to stay alive.

Tullaryx
20-Apr-2006, 04:43 PM
Me and a few others have actually discussed this very topic numerous times and have agreed that for a long arm a carbine or rifle using the .22LR would be ideal. Unless one was a pure marksman and can hit targets hundreds of yards away, a .22LR would be good enough in slowly thinning out the ranks of zombies in the way. One-shot one-kill would be nearly impossible unless one was an expert at it so wasting ammo would be a fact of life. .22LR is a very common caliber and all gunstores and sporting goods stors will carry tons of it.

I would also supplement that with a a 12-gauge Mossberg. If possible, even get a combat shotgun (legally registered of course) from gun shows and if necessary from the black market. Used in close quarters and aimed head high it could do alot of damage and buy time to escape.

For personal sidearm I would probably carry two. A 9mm H&K USP (one I do own) and a .22 caliber pistol. The USP would be for when stealth stops being an option. The .22's quieter report would be good in trying to keep the noise down.

MaximusIncredulous
20-Apr-2006, 05:00 PM
I'm not much of an expert on guns but I'd go with either a Colt Peacemaker (or replica) or a Colt 1911A1 and plenty of spare parts and ammo.

Those guns have been proven in hard conditions over the years so that's good enough for me plus I'm a bit familiar with the mechanisim in Colt single action revolvers which will come in handy when parts wear out and need replacing.

Tullaryx
20-Apr-2006, 05:07 PM
I would very much enjoy to bring a .45 as part of my gear, but it's size, the size of its ammunition and the wicked strong recoil it has would be more of a hindrance than an advantage. I would really just use one if it meant blowing my brains out. A .45 ACP would do the job well.

Svengoolie
20-Apr-2006, 05:07 PM
Sorry for the misquote, boys.

I started this thread late last night while high on Vicodin and watching "Saving Private Ryan"...so my Dawn skills weren't exactly top notch.;)

As for Deadman--way to contribute. As always.

p2501
20-Apr-2006, 05:10 PM
I'm thinking about being on foot, where a suprise can happen any time. If one hops up on me I just want to put it to its head and pop a cap. If it is over 10 feet away, why would I even F with it? I'm not trying to solve the crisis, just trying to stay alive.

no no i agree, hell i even own a .38 and carry it frequently. but the probelm with most .38's is A) thier snubnosed so there the decreased range. b) they're ****ing loud. you pop one with a .38 your just drawing attention to yourself.

Tullaryx
20-Apr-2006, 05:10 PM
Speaking of Saving Private Ryan, if I could get my hands on a well-maintained M1 carbine, that would be a good substitute for a .22LR. Small and compact and using ammo that's still very numerous and well-stocked by gun stores, etc.. :)

MaximusIncredulous
20-Apr-2006, 05:13 PM
I would very much enjoy to bring a .45 as part of my gear, but it's size, the size of its ammunition and the wicked strong recoil it has would be more of a hindrance than an advantage. I would really just use one if it meant blowing my brains out. A .45 ACP would do the job well.

I was thinking the same thing regarding recoil and thought an SAA in .22 would be best. Simple mechanics + utilitarian ammo = practical zombie killer.

Svengoolie
20-Apr-2006, 05:13 PM
That's what got me thinking, Tull...

I was going to set out a couple of suggestions (amoung them the M1 Garand) to see what the peanut gallery might have to say about them, but decided to let others put up their own first and then suggest them later.

Tri0xin
20-Apr-2006, 05:18 PM
Even soccer moms and little ol' ladies from Pasadena carry guns. ;)

Tullaryx
20-Apr-2006, 05:23 PM
The one advantage of the .22LR and the pistol caliber, would be the effect the slug would have once it broke through skull and bone. There won't be any foolishness of the slug exiting the skull. If what I've read in regards to ballistics is correct then the slug would actually ricochet inside the skull making sure the brain was scrambled just right.

An M1 Garand would be cool, but not as easy to use as the carbine variant and one funny thing is that stripper clips the M1 uses to load is not as commonplace as the small box mag of the M1 carbine.

Now, if I wanted to be all decked out in style, but not in practical way, I would pick a 5.4mm P90, a .45cal. H&K UMP and a pair of .50 IMI Desert Eagles. I probably wouldn't survive past a day, but at least I'd go out in style. :D

Svengoolie
20-Apr-2006, 05:33 PM
When considering the Garand, the "cool" factor had nothing to do with it. I was thinking of its reliabilty, ruggedness, and balls to the wall power.

Tullaryx
20-Apr-2006, 05:35 PM
When considering the Garand, the "cool" factor had nothing to do with it. I was thinking of its reliabilty, ruggedness, and balls to the wall power.

I know. :)

Loading the Garand in the movies may look simple, but that plate that covers the loading hatch for the stripper clip can sever a person's thumb if they're not careful. :lol:

Deadman_Deluxe
20-Apr-2006, 05:48 PM
Sorry for the misquote, boys.

I started this thread late last night while high on Vicodin and watching "Saving Private Ryan"...so my Dawn skills weren't exactly top notch.;)

As for Deadman--way to contribute. As always.

Why single me out?

You see me as an easy target or something?

And do you seriously expect a responce from me again for this post which is nothing more than another not so cunningly disguised rehash of the already way over asked "weapon of choice" question?

If so i am sticking with the "Lightsaber and peashooter combo" as i stated in early 2001, now get back to bed dumbo!!!

Tullaryx
20-Apr-2006, 05:54 PM
Lightsaber? Well now, which type of crystals and lens attachment would you be using. :D

Svengoolie
20-Apr-2006, 06:06 PM
"Lightsaber and peashooter combo"

That's probably the best you could do over in England.:D

p2501
20-Apr-2006, 06:27 PM
I know. :)

Loading the Garand in the movies may look simple, but that plate that covers the loading hatch for the stripper clip can sever a person's thumb if they're not careful. :lol:

yep, it's called M1 thumb. My M14 did it to me once, it took off about 70% of my thumb nail.

also with stripper clip, the older ones tedn to fall apart from wear and tear, so they'll drop rounds while in your belt holder.

If so i am sticking with the "Lightsaber and peashooter combo" as i stated in early 2001, now get back to bed dumbo!!!

No, that's not right, in 2003 you changed your combo to a Pitch fork and George Lucas's neck fat.

in my opinion a much more leathal combo.

Deadman_Deluxe
20-Apr-2006, 06:54 PM
No, that's not right, in 2003 you changed your combo to a Pitch fork and George Lucas's neck fat.

in my opinion a much more leathal combo.

Ahhh, and it all comes flooding back to me ... though worth a note is that i did infact revert back to the lightsaber/peashooter combo briefly before moving on once again to the stick of broccolli/framed picture of Adolf Hitler/Big Clown shoes setup.

Of course that was before i discovered the incapacitating yet highly comical "squeezy bottle of tomato ketchup/chinese burn/unicycle/catapult" combo.

axlish
20-Apr-2006, 07:05 PM
If so i am sticking with the "Lightsaber and peashooter combo"

I smell a fan-film!

AcesandEights
21-Apr-2006, 01:55 AM
I know this is an overdone topic, but I've never gotten to post about it (just discuss with friends), so excuse me while I enjoy myself.

Now, I would have to agree with a .22 as a long arm choice for a reason of practicality, though I may be overlooking some good options, as my knowledge of firearms is not that extensive.

Now, were I to be, as Tullaryx puts it, "decked out in style" I'd probably want one of the HK variants as an up close option and I'd LOVE an AK. But my all-time favorite, fan-boy, closeted gunhugger wish would be for one of the M16 variants with a shotgun kit for under the barrel, think of the versatility!

Of course, the big problem is in the end--assuming you had a choice--you'd want weapons that would be rugged, reliably accurate and be a good match for ammo reloads and ammo casings, if you had to resort to (and were lucky enough to be able to) casing your own rounds. All that brings you back to the more common firearms.

Svengoolie
21-Apr-2006, 02:03 AM
Call it overdone...but one way or the other, people are contributing!:D

Danny
21-Apr-2006, 02:07 AM
Although it's probably been done to death, I was just wondering--what would be the best firearm to have in a LD-type situation...especially in terms of long arms.

what did i say. WHAT-DID-I-SAY!!!:lol:

Svengoolie
21-Apr-2006, 02:09 AM
Well, hellsing....it's usually the people who can't contribute in any other way that nitpick.:D

Danny
21-Apr-2006, 02:13 AM
That's probably the best you could do over in England.:D

if i was nit picking i would have made a retort here about how were not all hillbillys with guns and sung a rendition of "one time, two times, three times my cousin".

but thats just not me:lol:

Svengoolie
21-Apr-2006, 02:15 AM
I guess you've never seen Trisha, then.;)

Danny
21-Apr-2006, 02:16 AM
no .and thank god:lol:

though in retrospect it could be worse, could be killroy "racist talk show host favoured by OAP's of the year 2001 thru 6":D

Arcades057
21-Apr-2006, 03:38 AM
I've got a soft spot in my heart for the AK-47, but the ammo would likely be hard to find (I've never seen more than one or two boxes in a Walmart, but come to think of it, there're loads in gunstores.

For a handgun I'd want something with longer range than average; something like a .22LR target shooting pistol. Screw it, I'd want anything I can get my hands on, to be honest. I'd be happy with the .45 I have now. Hitting power? Darn right. Range? Not really, but I doubt I'd be trying to pick off the dead from long range in my hideout in the Everglades.

Someone tell me, can a .22LR REALLY penetrate the front of the skull from a range of about 100 yards? I don't mean the rear or the temple or through an eye, I mean the forehead.

Tullaryx
21-Apr-2006, 02:15 PM
Someone tell me, can a .22LR REALLY penetrate the front of the skull from a range of about 100 yards? I don't mean the rear or the temple or through an eye, I mean the forehead.

Yes it can. I used to doubt that myself until I read a book about the hitmen of Murder Inc. They liked to use small caliber pistols and rifles when it came to assassinating. The small caliber meant practically little noise when paired with a suppressor and even without one it sounded more like a pop gun. The punching power of the .22LR is just enough to punch through the forehead.

MapMan
22-Apr-2006, 12:35 PM
30.06 for long range.

.45 M1911a1 for close range

Winchester Defender 12 gauge for close range

Once I got to the National Guard Armory it would be a different story.