View Full Version : How we do things in Britain

Rottedfreak
20-Apr-2006, 07:51 PM
Car congestion on roads
South: £200 million extension plans.
North: told to car pool.

kebabshop
20-Apr-2006, 08:52 PM
Having lived in both parts of the country (currently residing in the NE), i can see why this is the case. The South is awash with bad roads and routes into the capital, whereas IMHO, the north has a fantastic road system

I made the move to these parts because of said commute, and to get fresh air back in my lungs...

But if anybody wants to car share, let me know! :D

MinionZombie
20-Apr-2006, 11:11 PM
That does make sense actually. When doing trips up to Scotland I've noticed once you get up north things get much better and you rarely see a traffic jam, plus the scenery is much nicer, the air is cleaner and I'm getting closer and closer to my homeland with every mile *grins fondly*.

The roads in the south are a funking joke.

Danny
21-Apr-2006, 01:53 AM
and here i am in the midlands AKA- chav capitol of the universe.

except for vergon six in the andromeda galaxy, the planet of the chavs,lol.

"get your stinking hand s off me you damn dirty chav!":lol:

you know that would make a damn funny short indipendant film, and the script could be ripped off devvo:lol:

"FRIGGIN SSSHWAAAARRR YER' DIK-ED'!"

Svengoolie
21-Apr-2006, 02:01 AM
For the guys in Northern England:

Beware of the Moon...and stick to the road.:eek:

AcesandEights
21-Apr-2006, 02:23 AM
I havent gotten to hit the North of England yet (it is on the list though), but I did notice that traffic was highly hit or miss in the areas of the South I frequented. I didn't mind your major roadways (I believe they all started with M?), but we were smart enough to train out of London, Westward before picking up our rental and looping back South and then dropped our car and trained back into the city when we were done.

I didn;t even kill anyone while I was at the wheel (or back in to Stonehenge for that matter :) ), though I did go up on the curb of one of the divided roadways, that damn centerpiece zagged out at me!

HLS
21-Apr-2006, 02:56 AM
I so very much want to visit England. It is a dream trip of mine

Arcades057
21-Apr-2006, 03:20 AM
Here's one for you... A couple years ago in Delray they started road construction on interstate 95. They periodically close down 1-3 lanes ofthe 4 lane highway for "repairs" that amount to a couple guys in orange vests standing around while one fella digs into the shoulder; then they bring in giant piledrivers and keep me awake all night (the road's about 5 miles from my house and on a clear day you can hear BANG BANG BANG all night after 3am, I can only imagine living near the highway!)

Then in '01 they tore into downtown Palm Beach around the courthouse and all the nightspots. I had to go to court in '01 and I remember sitting at this red light and looking at the courthouse a block away. Blocking me was this giant hole in the road. Instead of making a left and driving for a block to get to the courthouse, I had to drive all the way to the beach (about 2 miles of downtown traffic) and then back (through the same traffic). I drove my brother to court this February and guess what? Same intersection, same hole, same drive. Only difference is that the sidewalks were open around the crater.

We have state-controlled road crews here. The #2 reason to hope for smaller gubbment in the USA.

#1 is, of course, the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Cykotic
23-Apr-2006, 12:06 PM
Well, In Newcastle Upon Tyne (The TRUE chav capital of England), the roads in the city centre are always gridlocked, even in the Pedestrian areas!!!

Philly_SWAT
23-Apr-2006, 12:29 PM
I had a hell of a time driving ANYWHERE over there, North or South. I wasn't worried so much about the condition of the roads, or the congestion, but you idiots were driving on THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD!!! THATS DANGEROUS!!! ;)

Cykotic
24-Apr-2006, 08:01 AM
As far as we are concerned, it's the Americans who drive on the wrong side of the road!!!

MinionZombie
24-Apr-2006, 09:50 AM
And spell wrong.

Andy
24-Apr-2006, 10:08 AM
I had a hell of a time driving ANYWHERE over there, North or South. I wasn't worried so much about the condition of the roads, or the congestion, but you idiots were driving on THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD!!! THATS DANGEROUS!!! ;)

oohh ive heard this argument from americans before, think about this..

england, the rest of the uk, europe, most of asia including russia and parts of the middle east, japan, hong kong, singapore, australia, new zealand, india, pakistan, south africa, the bahamas, barbados, the caymen islands, ireland, jamaica, kenya, malta, thailand, zimbabwe, mozambique, the falklands and the US virgin islands all drive on the left hand side.

and thats just off my head, there's actually ALOT more.

anyway, my point is, if you count how many countries drive on the left and how many drive on the right, you'll discover that the majority drive on the left side thus making the driving on the right side the WRONG way.

:p

Cykotic
24-Apr-2006, 10:10 AM
Andy makes a good point. If everyone else drives on the left, then so should the Americans. CONFORM!!!

DjfunkmasterG
24-Apr-2006, 11:01 AM
Sounds like this chav thing is a major problem for you guys over there in the UK.

Cykotic
24-Apr-2006, 11:43 AM
You have no idea! Does America have it's own version of the Chav?

TexasZombie
24-Apr-2006, 11:57 AM
Yeah, but what the heck's a chav?

Aren't they those cute little fuzzy animals that run about the countryside all nimbly-pimbly and kill people in their sleep by biting off their toes and then shooting them with AK47s?

TZ

Cykotic
24-Apr-2006, 12:10 PM
http://www.chavscum.co.uk/index.php will tell you what you need to know and what to guard yourself against

idsaluteyoubub
24-Apr-2006, 03:07 PM
You have no idea! Does America have it's own version of the Chav?

Yup. They are called Eminem and ICP lovers...

Arcades057
24-Apr-2006, 09:38 PM
Hey Andy and the rest of the left-side of the road drivers: Everyone else uses the metric system too. We said bunk that. Yards, not meters (or metres, if you please)! :moon: