Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What became of Dead Reckoning?

Canada
    Land was actually pretty good.

Undisclosed
    Dead Reckoning in happier times.

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    On a semi-related subject....I was reading this morning that the three sharks used in Jaws were thrown onto the Universal backlot after filming and left to rot. But then someone supposedly found one in a car junk yard in the middle of the country. They took the creator of the original sharks to investigate and he confirmed it. Somehow an unused 4th shark was found in a junk yard...far away from any studios or where they filmed.
    I know one of the sharks was at the Universal Park in Orlando back in November of '99.
    I was in Orlando for a tradeshow and went to Universal before I left and they had one sitting kinda off to the side where they had a bunch of old rusted out military vehicles used in the old WWII movies of the 50's, 60's, 70's.
    I actually got a guy to take a picture of me standing next to Jaws, but don't have it scanned on my computer. I should do that as it was a pretty big thrill for me, being the Jaws fan I am.
    Also the best "Theme Park Ride" I've ever been on was the Jaws boat ride at Universal. I thought it was pretty cool. That's followed closely by the one they have/had concerning the movie "Twister." Pretty damn realistic if you ask me. I'm sure there's better now as special effects technology has come a long way in the last 10/11 years.
    Too bad they didn't do something similar for "Land Of The Dead."

Undisclosed
    The most recent Jaws shark that was found was the one they had hanging by the tail in the CA studio tour section for tourists to take their photos with. They had it there for years. I remember seeing it back in the late 1970s on the tour.

It was molded from an original Bruce from the Jaws but wasn't used in the film. Only on the backlot for tourist photos.

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    Hello to all!

New here. Got here by coincidence, but thought you might like to know what I found.

I was watching a show called The weapond hunter. The flamethrower episode. While the host was visiting a weapon collectionner in the north of Toronto ON, I notice that behing them was a special semi truck that had to be armored real or fake.

So I began searching the web and found out that the truck looks a lot like the one you are looking for. Sorry, I have no frame pics from the show. It it is like in the first 10 min of the show.

Hope this help you guys in your quest. Hope it is the truck.

Fresh Meat

Canada
    In case this thread is of interest to anyone, I thought I'd reply with an answer as to: what became of the Dead Reckoning.

Lucky j is correct.
    The Dead Reckoning was shown in the background of the Weapons Hunter TV episode.
    I have been in possession of the truck since we wrapped filming the movie LotD.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by FXguy View Post
    In case this thread is of interest to anyone, I thought I'd reply with an answer as to: what became of the Dead Reckoning.

Lucky j is correct.
    The Dead Reckoning was shown in the background of the Weapons Hunter TV episode.
    I have been in possession of the truck since we wrapped filming the movie LotD.
    Hey! That's a cool ride to have lying around
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    It'd be cool to see some pics of it as it is now.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    It'd be cool to see some pics of it as it is now.
    Ideally with zombies and fireworks of course!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Fresh Meat

Canada
    OK. I will start with the burning question.
    ... what life did the "Dead Reckoning" lead before becoming the quintessential armored zombie exterminating machine?

I was fortunate to be peripherally involved in the selection process.
    A couple of offerings were made but ultimately this vehicle was chosen.
    We walked outside the studio to view / discuss the rig and I took this pic. - see below
    This is likely the only 'before' photo of DR prior to the transformation.

It is a 1992 Freightliner cab-over and a flatbed platform 40 ft trailer. pic taken Sept 9, 2004
    The graphics on the tractor indicate that the it had been working in the film business already.
    Polaris - a company that supplied vehicles and related equipment to the film business in Canada.

Last edited by FXguy; 15-Sep-2018 at 02:17 AM. Reason: revision

Super Moderator

UK
    Thanks for the "before" pic - wow! A lot of work had to be done to turn it into DR! With a project like that - creating Dead Reckoning - what kind of things need to be taken into account/considered when choosing a vehicle and how to construct what will be seen on screen?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by FXguy View Post
    OK. I will start with the burning question.
    ... what life did the "Dead Reckoning" lead before becoming the quintessential armored zombie exterminating machine?

I was fortunate to be peripherally involved in the selection process.
    A couple of offerings were made but ultimately this vehicle was chosen.
    We walked outside the studio to view / discuss the rig and I took this pic. - see below
    This is likely the only 'before' photo of DR prior to the transformation.

It is a late 80's Freightliner cab-over and a flatbed platform 40 ft trailer. pic taken Sept 9, 2004
    The graphics on the tractor indicate that the it had been working in the film business already.
    Polaris - a company that supplied vehicles and related equipment to the film business in Canada.

Attachment 1465
    Did you remove your attachment? The image seems to have gone

If you want, you can email me the picture, or as many as you want would be even better (eg: Before/Afters) to forum@homepageofthedead.com and I'll post them up here.
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Cool! That was a dope ride.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."