Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Stand (film)

Administrator

England

The Stand (film)

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48288

Can't help but feel "The Stand" is just too big for a single film!

The 1994 TV series did a reasonable job and that was SIX hours long!

Surely they couldn't break it into two, or even three films? That just wouldn't sit right surely!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The link doesn't seem to be working for me.

But i'm sure they could fit it into three movies. Jackson did it for LOTR. Then of course you have the extended cuts, brining the entire series to over ten hours.
    Last edited by bassman; 01-Feb-2011 at 12:22 PM. Reason: .

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Having issues too I think it is their website
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Administrator

England
    OK for me (now)!?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Link worked fine for me.

If they're going to condense the story of The Stand into one movie (which would probably be at most 2 hours long), I imagine they'll get JJ Abrams or Zack Snyder to direct it so they can cram in as much action oriented stuff as possible. And then I'll throw up.

England
    I'm just getting towards the end of the book now, been reading it the past couple of months! I personally dont think a feature film would do it justice, I saw the mini series back in the 90's even that wasnt great (why did they make Harold a pencil thin geek, when he was a greasy fat schemer in the book until about halfway when he goes over to the dark side?) The book is great and I'd hate to see them mess it up again!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48288

Can't help but feel "The Stand" is just too big for a single film!

The 1994 TV series did a reasonable job and that was SIX hours long!

Surely they couldn't break it into two, or even three films? That just wouldn't sit right surely!
    "M-O-O-N" that spells disaster! It can't be done in in one film without completing butchering the story to shreds. I don't give a damn if it's Frank Darabont or Spielberg who does it, it just can't be done in 120 minutes without destroying the work completely. It's entirely too epic.

Even the 4-part mini-series (around 6 hours long I believe) had to omit a great deal of story. Nadine's character for example was NOT the same woman who Larry traveled with originally (Rita). Larry ended up going all the way up to the coast in Maine, if I believe correctly as it has been years since I've read it, before finally heading out to see Mother Abagail ("I'm 103 years old and I still make my own cornbread!").

I'll be the first to admit the miniseries isn't perfect, but I'll defend it as being damn good for a lower budget effort. And it actually packs a wallop as far as cast. I thought Jamey Sheridan, Gary Sinise, Miguel Ferrer, Ray Walston (R.I.P.), Laura San Giacomo (oh man, I'd so hit that!), and others were excellent and really made it into something that would have been campy without their talent shining through. Yeah -- it's not perfect, but the actors/actresses definitely put their heart into it. I couldn't imagine anyone doing Traschcan except for Matt Frewer ("Bumpty-bumpty-bump! MY LIFE FOR YOU! MY LIFE FOR YOU!").

I own it on DVD and pull it out to watch it on occasion -- it's always a pleasure to show it to people who haven't seen it before as you over-look the little things for the more epic nature of it and really get into the story going on. I dig it a great deal, warts and all, myself.

Would I watch it if re-made again? Hell's yeah I would. It's freaking "The Stand" -- which, for me at least, is up there with "Atlas Shrugged" as one of the top greatest American novels ever penned in our history. It's probably quoted as often as "Atlas Shrugged" as well. But, it just CANNOT be done in 120 minutes. I don't give a shit who does it, can... not... be... done.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    tbh there's nothing stopping it being a 3+ hour overblown director's ego trip if it wants to (Watchmen - although, that's not to say that wasn't an awesome film.)

Unless they give it to Darabont, I'll just wait for it to come out on laserdisc.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    tbh there's nothing stopping it being a 3+ hour overblown director's ego trip if it wants to (Watchmen - although, that's not to say that wasn't an awesome film.)

Unless they give it to Darabont, I'll just wait for it to come out on laserdisc.
    Wow, did you just say "laserdisc"?

Might be waiting awhile on that one, Symph. Might have to settle for the Beta while you're waiting on the laserdisc.

j.p.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    hehe yeah I was subtly signalling I'd never buy it
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Opening:
    A newscast plays on a TV informing the viewers to stay indoors and to advises precautions against infection, the power cuts out and a pan out reveals the viewers are dead and being swarmed by flies, the scene pulls outside to reveal a whole neighbourhood is silent.
    Stu sifts through a corpse filled hospital with a rag covering his mouth, he is grabbed by a corpse that says his name, he turns around and a crow shrieks, he does a 180 and looks into the demonic eyes of Randal Flagg who growls, Stu then wakes up and finds Frannie also up in a sweat, he says "we have to keep moving to Boulder."
    It's then you go "They skipped the best huggin part!!!!"

Super Moderator

Germany
    Ugh. Jamey Sheridan as Randall Flagg? How could anyone be afraid of Randall Flagg when he looked borderline retarded? He looked like he could barely master wiping his ass, let alone master black magic. Jamey Sheridan may be brilliant fellow (I have no idea), but dude was not blessed with a commanding presence.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    Ugh. Jamey Sheridan as Randall Flagg? How could anyone be afraid of Randall Flagg when he looked borderline retarded? He looked like he could barely master wiping his ass, let alone master black magic. Jamey Sheridan may be brilliant fellow (I have no idea), but dude was not blessed with a commanding presence.
    While I'm not fond of the mullet-of-doom he's sporting in the film, I thought he did a great job in the role. Sheridan is actually a highly underrated actor. He recently did a film called "Handsome Harry" that was at, I believe, Sundance this last year and has Steve Buscemi in it as well. If there was a problem with the presenting of the character, which didn't trouble me personally too much, it's due to the writing and not the actor in this case. Flagg is supposed to e an over-the-top silly goof of a villain who just happens to be extremely powerful in addition to being NUTS.

j.p.

Super Moderator

Germany
    Again, not even saying that Mr Sheridan isn't a perfectly fine actor, just that he was sorely miscast and the portrayal was not in line with his character from any of the books he appeared in. The poor portrayal being just as likely the director's failing as his.

Mullet of Doom - simply awesome.

I think Gary Sinise was perfect casting. It is almost as if they raided my imagination after reading the book 10 years prior and created the Stu seen in my mind's eye.

Administrator

England
    Project is still alive, with Ben Affleck's recent news having some impact on it - http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/sci...n-casting.html

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Scott Cooper is in talks to take over the director’s chair so recently vacated by the Argo director. Cooper’s highest profile job thus far has been at the helm of 2009’s Crazy Heart, which won Jeff Bridges an Academy Award for best actor.
    -Carl Sagan